Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Oh hi there whatcha lookin at?

Uh

I asked and his name is Abu :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

blackflare posted:

Uh

Presumably as in "About to bite you", but they usually don't get all the words out in time before it's too late...

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
we haven't gotten Griddle sexed officially but we're 99.9% sure Griddle is a boy and we're also 99.9% sure Booberry is gay as hell

should we stop calling Griddle by female pronouns? i don't want to misgender our birb :ohdear:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Condolences on your lost camera and hands.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mirthless posted:

we haven't gotten Griddle sexed officially but we're 99.9% sure Griddle is a boy and we're also 99.9% sure Booberry is gay as hell

should we stop calling Griddle by female pronouns? i don't want to misgender our birb :ohdear:

Just make sure you're focusing on the most important things. Maybe "he" and "she" don't matter as much to Griddle as "velcro," "rear end in a top hat," and "bite."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think we've found a solution for Yoshi's medicine. It turns out he's not afraid of the syringes at all (he actually likes watching us fill them up - he thinks shaking the bottles is funny), and he cheers up right after we're done. We give him a little piece of cereal afterward and praise him with a lot of "Good bird!" We do still have to grab him and hold his beak open, but I think he just can't help it because of how bitter the meds are. He makes his little protesting quacks, but he doesn't cry like the world is ending anymore. Now it's more like an indignant "Oh, this again!"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

blackflare posted:

Uh

:kimchi: :kimchi:

Rockopolis, congrats on your new birby friend!!! Echoing what the others said, just keep him/her under some supervision where the cables are concerned and you shouldn't need to stress over it too much. You might even find (s)he isn't interested in them at all. One side of my desk is littered with various headphone/iPhone/whateverphone cords and Ama ignores them (except to hop over them as he's running from one end of the desk to another like he's on some ridiculous avian obstacle course).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sorry for the double post but -- bathtime!

e: pretend I included enough pictures to properly convey how long bathtime went on for.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 13, 2017

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Nicky update. Fiancee coming home cheered her up immensely, but from the moment we had to force feed her the medicine/solution, she became a different bird. Almost stationary on her perch whenever we're near, suspicious of our every motion. Far less active, far less willing to eat. We've stopped force feeding her, and instead are working on rebuilding our relationship and finding daily new ways to trick her into drinking it, most of which involve her believing that she's drinking something that we're drinking. Getting her to eat enough has been a similar program. She's getting sick of the formula (even with peanut butter in it!) and doesn't always want to eat what we're eating. We offer her food, especially formula, far more often than she takes it to ensure that she's being encouraged to eat enough to actually get her to eat enough. Grinding up pellets into egg and then dry cooking them scrambled worked well this morning, but we have to make sure it doesn't put her off eggs alltogether, because it's the thing she most readily eats right now, and if she gets sick of it or decides the pellets ruin the eggs, we may run out of things she'll accept.

If anyone has any clever ways they've used to get their bird to eat or drink things, I'd love to hear them for future use, as this may go on for a good while.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sweet heavens conures are so tiny

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Potato Salad posted:

They're 90% lungs by bodymass, though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

also fit perfectly in your hand :3:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm going to make sure everything is clean and perfect before bringing the bird back, just want to make sure everything is right.

Now for the hard part, I've got to come up with a name. I'm terrible at names - off the top of my head, I like the way "Benny" sounds, but that's about it. Maybe something Argentinian, since that's where the ancestors would be from.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

e: pretend I included enough pictures to properly convey how long bathtime went on for.

Does he make special bath time sounds? :3:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Rockopolis posted:

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm going to make sure everything is clean and perfect before bringing the bird back, just want to make sure everything is right.

Now for the hard part, I've got to come up with a name. I'm terrible at names - off the top of my head, I like the way "Benny" sounds, but that's about it. Maybe something Argentinian, since that's where the ancestors would be from.

I know nothing about birds but I do know about giving good names to pets and I'm afraid we will have to look at many pictures of birb before a suitable name can be suggested friend.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rockopolis posted:

What my wife and I did was come up with a whole list of names before we got Yoshi, and while we were bringing him home, we were discussing them all, trying on different ways to say them, saying them in a happy, gentle voice right up to his face. when we said "Yoshiiiiii!" he suddenly seemed to calm down and get a little interested in us, and we both knew that had to be his name then. It's not a surefire way, but drat if it wasn't fun and perfect for us.

Benny is a cute name for a birb, I think. :)

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sorry for the double post but -- bathtime!

I love every one of these pictures. That is a happy, happy bird!!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Birbs have a given name and a secret true name. I'll guarantee you'll discover your birb's true name sooner rather than later. "Aaargh!, gerroff" and "You little poo poo" are common examples of true names. My GCC is officially called Ozzie, but he's more likely to answer to "Shitbag". Good luck discovering your birb's true name.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soylent Yellow posted:

Birbs have a given name and a secret true name. I'll guarantee you'll discover your birb's true name sooner rather than later. "Aaargh!, gerroff" and "You little poo poo" are common examples of true names. My GCC is officially called Ozzie, but he's more likely to answer to "Shitbag". Good luck discovering your birb's true name.

This is extremely true. Yoshi's True Name "Whassa Mattah With You?"

Okay, weird question: I put away my Boston accent a long time ago. It comes back when I'm around my family, when I've had a few drinks, or when I'm talking about the city, but weirdly, it also comes out in stunning full force, more than it ever does when I talk to the bird. My bird says "bird" like "bowid" and "mattah" and "dinosowah." I also, inexplicably, do this with dogs, cats and babies. Is there something about animals that brings out native accents? I feel like I'm the only one.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Does he make special bath time sounds? :3:
He makes happy water trickling noises as soon as he hears the faucet, but then it's time to get DOWN TO BUSINESS and he just spends the next five - ten minutes soaking me and everything around us. :3:

titties posted:

I know nothing about birds but I do know about giving good names to pets and I'm afraid we will have to look at many pictures of birb before a suitable name can be suggested friend.
this ^^^^^

Soylent Yellow posted:

and also this ^^^^^

Bicyclops posted:

I love every one of these pictures. That is a happy, happy bird!!
he loves his baths! :3:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bicyclops posted:

This is extremely true. Yoshi's True Name "Whassa Mattah With You?"

Okay, weird question: I put away my Boston accent a long time ago. It comes back when I'm around my family, when I've had a few drinks, or when I'm talking about the city, but weirdly, it also comes out in stunning full force, more than it ever does when I talk to the bird. My bird says "bird" like "bowid" and "mattah" and "dinosowah." I also, inexplicably, do this with dogs, cats and babies. Is there something about animals that brings out native accents? I feel like I'm the only one.

No idea man. I lost my Boston accent years ago but certain words and phrases still come out of my mouth with that accent.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Today I had to experience the heartbreaking sounds of a poor innocent birb who did nothing wrong getting his toenails brutally clipped :negative:

A few sunnies later and is back to happily trying to make microtransactions on my phone while stealing my capsicum pieces.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jose Oquendo posted:

No idea man. I lost my Boston accent years ago but certain words and phrases still come out of my mouth with that accent.

same actually. lots of boston ex-pat bird crazies in here :pwn:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
conures are basically half fish, given how much they love water.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So I tend to follow cute bird accounts on Instagram, get my fill of cockatoos and macaws and whatnot. I found the cutest one recently, and I'm in love :swoon:

Fefe the Goffin

She always looks like a little downy chicken. She's obviously adored and has an amazing life (her account has her wearing all these adorable little felt collars). Most of the account is videos too, so you get to see the sweet little fluff :3:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWGf4YvAzBX/?taken-by=fefe_the_cutest_gofin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWBdmdqgMpd/?taken-by=fefe_the_cutest_gofin

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Judah's luchador name was Chingador Ruidoso which is my terrible Spanish approximation of Noisy Fucker

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Shirec posted:

So I tend to follow cute bird accounts on Instagram, get my fill of cockatoos and macaws and whatnot. I found the cutest one recently, and I'm in love :swoon:

Fefe the Goffin

She always looks like a little downy chicken. She's obviously adored and has an amazing life (her account has her wearing all these adorable little felt collars). Most of the account is videos too, so you get to see the sweet little fluff :3:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWGf4YvAzBX/?taken-by=fefe_the_cutest_gofin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWBdmdqgMpd/?taken-by=fefe_the_cutest_gofin

Oh wow, they say she was a plucker for many years and that she even used her knuckles to grab feathers from her head which is why she's bald. Poor girl. She looks super happy though.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Oh wow, they say she was a plucker for many years and that she even used her knuckles to grab feathers from her head which is why she's bald. Poor girl. She looks super happy though.

Yeah, there was a video some ways back where she had managed to pluck out the one tail feather she has left and they had to go back to collars again. I hadn't gotten all the backstory yet since I'm trying to look at it here and there and not binge. She always seems like a big fluffy sweetheart though. Some of my fave vids are her jumping into her water and paddling her feet.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

same actually. lots of boston ex-pat bird crazies in here :pwn:

Not bird related, but that reminded me of this, so I had to upload it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XEQajInuA

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Soylent Yellow posted:

Hinkie and Bobo have a collective true name, which is "loud assholes". This is revealed when they think it's time for them to come out and they both hang off the side of the cage near my desk and beep at max volume until I let them out.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Potato Salad posted:

iirc, Amadeus is pretty small even for GCC standards.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Golden conures seem pretty big by conure standards too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpS-G6J_Jz8

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket is my orangefronted conure, and she is a little bigger than a GCC size wise, but weight wise she is about 88 grams cos she is PorkBird.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qu8S704VQY

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I'm very excited for this game

https://twitter.com/SuperRetroDuck/status/896145313890578434

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The only thing that could make this better is if the probirdrights person wrote all the descriptions.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Can't take it seriously from those pictures. Beaks aren't nearly menacing or sharp enough.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sekkira posted:

iirc, Amadeus is pretty small even for GCC standards.
yeah, he's on the teeny side. :3:

yes please!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I keep poking at the second screenshot because I want the hearts to fill up and the birb's visits to increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I found an albino birb on Reddit.

Enjoy!