Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

were there any anti-slavery confederate officers

Pat Cleburne is the closest I can think of.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

see the thing about the statues is this: i think it's fine if you have a statute memorializing the confederate soldiers killed in the war because many of them were not there by choice. they were drafted and fought out of duty to their state. many of them did not own slaves and were poor farmers themselves.

That they were not slaveholders does not mean they had no stake in slavery, nor that they were anything but supporters of it as an institution. Chandra Manning's work on this makes clear that (among other things) for southern soldiers duty to home and state was inextricably and explicitly connected to defense of slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
longstreet too, kinda, after the war

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the GBS thread on the Charlottesville rally is bad even for GBS

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That they were not slaveholders does not mean they had no stake in slavery, nor that they were anything but supporters of it as an institution. Chandra Manning's work on this makes clear that (among other things) for southern soldiers duty to home and state was inextricably and explicitly connected to defense of slavery.

For example: Plantation owners would often rent their slaves out to poorer farmers.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

i remain consistent in my calls to close gbs

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

shiksa posted:

i really hope i'm not being overly optimistic but it looks like they hosed up big time. they were already pushing it with the torches and surrounding protesters at night but saturday was a real overplay.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

they killed a young white woman, which is the only crime in america you can't get away with
is this the emerging consensus? its cynical as poo poo but when it was clear they'd had a NEET underling murder a white woman it seemed like they'd really stepped in it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cargo cult posted:

is this the emerging consensus? its cynical as poo poo but when it was clear they'd had a NEET underling murder a white woman it seemed like they'd really stepped in it

yeah, the so-called "defenders of the white race" murdering a white woman, especially a photogenic one, is the worst outcome they could possibly obtain

speaking of which, have any of the cookiecutter blondes along for the alt-right ride made any comments about this?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

TheIllestVillain posted:

sa has plenty of racists.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

this person is trying so hard to keep believing that bad people don't exist. thanks man, i'm sure that even the nazi's just did it as a fashion statement.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/GoDaddy/status/896935462622957573

https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/896929471340703744

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
owned

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is andrew anglin really 5'2? i wonder how he'd feel meeting punjabi or iranian people lol

coathat
May 21, 2007

He's got a point

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cargo cult posted:

is andrew anglin really 5'2? i wonder how he'd feel meeting punjabi or iranian people lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also, ohio: get yourself together

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao this dude wouldn't have been able to join the ss

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

let's get Demetrius "Mighty Mouse" Johnson to whoop the poo poo out of this guy

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

who is this guy?

Not exactly thrilled with my state showing up so much during this weekend.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lmao this dude wouldn't have been able to join the ss

he's too short for most amusement rides

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

who is this guy?

Not exactly thrilled with my state showing up so much during this weekend.
Andrew Anglin, publisher of the Daily Stormer.

He's currently in hiding from a lawsuit brought by the SPLC, suing him for organizing a hate mob (and violating the Montana Anti-Intimidation Act) against a real-estate businesswoman who got into a dustup with Richard Spencer's mother.

Daily Stormer has a lot of reach and I'd reckon it surpassed Stormfront awhile ago as the go-to site for the bonehead contingent. They also have "book clubs" in various cities which contributed to the base of Nazis that poured into Charlottesville over the weekend.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
What is my people saying

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Student shown in viral photo of white nationalist march speaks out

quote:

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) -- A photograph of a University of Nevada, Reno student has gone viral on social media. The photograph shows Peter Cvjetanovic with a large group of white nationalists as they marched in Charlottesville, one day before the Unite the Right rally on Satuday. On Twitter, many people are calling Cvjetanovic a racist and Nazi.

Cvjetanovic tells KOLO 8 News Now that he does not consider himself a Neo-Nazi or a White Supremacist. He says that he is an Identitarian and that he is not the angry racist that many are saying he appears to be in the photograph.

"I believe that cultures are being threatened," says Cvjetanovic, 20, who identifies Reno as his hometown. "Everyone is melding together and I personally believe that with immigration, some cultures are being threatened and that includes whites, European culture. I do not hate other cultures."

Cvjetanovic says that he went to Charlottesville to attend the rallies, where he wanted to hear speakers. He says that he was at the Friday rally where he was photographed, but that he left the Unite the Right rally on Saturday before the crash occurred, that took the life of a 32-year-old woman.

"I didn't go there to be violent. I wanted to honor White Heritage and things got out of control and it shouldn't have gone down the way it did. In my personal experience, these last few days have turned into a disaster." The North Valleys High School graduate says that he does not condone the violence that occurred and offers his condolences to the families of the three people who have died. He also says he has a plan to raise money to give to the family of the counter protester who was killed.

Cvjetanovic says that he has gotten a few death threats and that people have contacted his family. He is asking people to leave his family alone, saying they are not White Supremacists or Identitarians and have nothing to do with any of this.

"I understand that things will never return to a sense of normalcy. The picture is out there. It is my own choice. I will be living with it. I won't be running away. I hope that I can attend UNR safely and that anyone out there who is upset at me would be willing to talk with me. Maybe they could see that I'm not the hateful bigot that I'm shown to be."

He acknowledges that he is also employed by the Unversity of Nevada, Reno and that he does not want to lose his job.

On Saturay afternoon, University of Nevada, Reno President Marc Johnson issued a statement. In part, it reads:

"We have been witness to the violence that has taken place this weekend during the white nationalist march in Charlottesville, Virginia. One of the marchers photographed has been identified as a University of Nevada, Reno student. Racism and white supremacist movements have a corrosive effect on our society. These movements do not represent our values as a university..."

"As an institution, we remain firm in our commitment in denouncing all forms of bigotry and racism, which have no place in a free and equal society... The University of Nevada, Reno is a caring and safe community of students and employees from a broad range of backgrounds with differing beliefs. This community will not be divided by hateful language and violence."

":rolleyes: ugh you guys i'm not a nazi or racist i just happen to hang out with them, agree with the majority of their views, and participate in their tiki torch ceremony!"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

jfood posted:

he's too short for most amusement rides

that might just push me over the edge to nazism imo

I've been too tall for exactly one ride and that really sucked.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i am a champion of the white race! i am the champion of the whi- no, i'm down here

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Andrew Anglin, publisher of the Daily Stormer.

He's currently in hiding from a lawsuit brought by the SPLC, suing him for organizing a hate mob (and violating the Montana Anti-Intimidation Act) against a real-estate businesswoman who got into a dustup with Richard Spencer's mother.

Daily Stormer has a lot of reach and I'd reckon it surpassed Stormfront awhile ago as the go-to site for the bonehead contingent. They also have "book clubs" in various cities which contributed to the base of Nazis that poured into Charlottesville over the weekend.

I'm confused by these people's existence in the 21st century. I also don't understand how they've organized themselves in this manner.

I get why conservatives and libertarians exist. I don't agree with them, but the mindset of those wanting their own personal freedom makes sense in the realm of the "Americans are Cowboys" mystique that exists in this country.

I don't want to bother googling this rear end in a top hat, but please tell me he doesn't live in the greater northeast ohio area.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/896920269888962561

oh it is so, so nice.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't want to bother googling this rear end in a top hat, but please tell me he doesn't live in the greater northeast ohio area.
You're in luck -- he's from Columbus.

Apparently he lives in Nigeria now, which is an odd place for a white supremacist but there you go.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dineshdsouza/status/896792320154099713

haha desouza put his book over others at costco to make it look more prominent

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/896887870710927360

beautiful. tear that poo poo the gently caress down

the only reason it's still there is because the Freemasons paid a lot of money to whitewash Pike's connections to the KKK :mason:

Morals and Dogma is still a good read even if it's almost entirely plagiarized (as he admits, sort of)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm confused by these people's existence in the 21st century. I also don't understand how they've organized themselves in this manner.

I get why conservatives and libertarians exist. I don't agree with them, but the mindset of those wanting their own personal freedom makes sense in the realm of the "Americans are Cowboys" mystique that exists in this country.

the internet has broken the brains of many young men and women (primarily men)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lancemantis posted:

just the cutest

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

it's funny because when they did this to the left no one gave a gently caress because "hey dude went to a rally against racism!" doesn't quite make employers frown like "he's a nazi"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GOOD They can gently caress off.

They're not the "right". They're nazis.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

You're in luck -- he's from Columbus.

Apparently he lives in Nigeria now, which is an odd place for a white supremacist but there you go.

Cbus is a cool city.

Why loving Nigeria? That's bizarre as hell.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the internet has broken the brains of many young men and women (primarily men)

Yeah...it's just the most bizarre thing.

I don't recall seeing these idiots pre-2015 or so save for the occasional "LOL STORMFRONT IS STUPID" thread.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
they were around. they just stayed to 4chan and stormfront or wherever the hung out on the internet. but donald trump served as a catalyst for them to come out of the woodwork, and while he might not be one of them he's certainly someone who says a lot of the things they agree with in terms of worldview. bannon being close to trump was also a big thing for them because many see bannon as Their Guy so if he's with trump that means trump's with them.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

yeah there's a reason these people all look like pasty shut in nerds

cause they are

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

lancemantis posted:

yeah the guys waving nazi flags and giving nazi salutes? actually bravely fighting the REAL nazis, LIBERALS

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

do your part for antifa by going into /pol/ finding a random thread and telling the OP he's a loving moron