Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MHA is truly the best anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

:allears: Fantastic.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yesssss :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Fister Roboto this is for you

gently caress Ice, Kill Bitches

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh man I bet Adders were super mad at that one.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

When levelling a DPS class from 50-60, is it worth going out of your way to get HQ versions of the levelling gear - crafting and so on - or can I just buy vendor NQ gear and still manage alright?

I'm still a sprout leaf noob but am almost 70 on PLD. I did Ironworks (+augmented) for 50-60 and picked up Shire around 64 which is showing its age at 68. That said, I did that because I could quickly get groups plus role needed bonuses under DF as a tank, MSQ DF plus never done plus role in need equals a bucket load of tomestones. If you have the cash do the buy it route, but MSQ throws gear at you pretty regularly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The idea that you need more than a few buttons to have engaging gameplay continues to reinforce how weird your typical mmo is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone have any suggestions for SAM rotation? I figured I should probably play a little of this free level 50 SAM I've got and I like ~katanas~ but the rotation seems confusing coming from a WoW paladin (press 3 buttons and keep your dot up) and then SMN -> RDM -> SAM the combo pattern seems....confusing.

I found this which seems helpful:

http://imgur.com/a/OLGov#UH38V48

So I've just been trying to follow that. (though I don't have some of those at 50)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
SAM is one of those jobs that makes more sense the higher you go with it. The most confusing part for me is I don't speak moon language and do not recognize the ability names so my rotation is "blue one, red one, white one, blue one" and so on.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for SAM rotation? I figured I should probably play a little of this free level 50 SAM I've got and I like ~katanas~ but the rotation seems confusing coming from a WoW paladin (press 3 buttons and keep your dot up) and then SMN -> RDM -> SAM the combo pattern seems....confusing.

I found this which seems helpful:

http://imgur.com/a/OLGov#UH38V48

So I've just been trying to follow that. (though I don't have some of those at 50)

At 50, the rotation is basically "Kasha combo, Gekko combo, Yukikaze combo". Apply Higabana while you have 1 sen if it isn't already on the target, or use Megatsu Setsugekka at 3 sen otherwise. The order you gain the sen doesn't matter, only the total number of sen that are active.

For trash, it is basically Fuga > Oka > Fuga > Mangetsu > Tenka Goken, repeat until less than three targets remain or your TP bottoms out because your fellow DPS are still using their single target rotation on six critters.

By level 70, you will want to open up with something like this:
http://ffxivrotations.com/rm4

And if you have good gear, your main tank will probably appreciate it if the ninja in the party smokebombs you first :v:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 14, 2017

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
How do you guys stay awake playing this game with the current combo system, let alone one that makes you press 11111? Like, you can experience this type of gameplay as a lancer in certain leveling dungeons and, spoiler alert, it sucks rear end. gently caress, you do this as a RDM during AoE pulls: Scatter times ten, three weaponskills and a cooldown if you're lucky. Exciting gameplay!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The Electronaut posted:

I'm still a sprout leaf noob but am almost 70 on PLD. I did Ironworks (+augmented) for 50-60 and picked up Shire around 64 which is showing its age at 68. That said, I did that because I could quickly get groups plus role needed bonuses under DF as a tank, MSQ DF plus never done plus role in need equals a bucket load of tomestones. If you have the cash do the buy it route, but MSQ throws gear at you pretty regularly.

I will mention on this subject that staying up to date on gear is, while not mandatory, a lot more noticeable on tanks than it is on DPS and healers. (They should at least try to stay up to date on weapon though.)

While ilvl doesn't go up terribly much on gear in the leveling process, defense does, and the damage-taken formulas give you reasonable damage taken if you have the defense that you should have at that level.

If you're behind the curve because you're sticking with older gear, you'll feel it more and more as your level goes up. Level 59 dungeon with level 50 tank gear and level 69 dungeon with level 60 tank gear are exercises in pain. Not strictly unhealable by any stretch, but slacker-tank and their healer will have to put in an awful lot more work than they need to, just because slacker-tank can't be hosed to update their gear.

My general advice is for everyone to stay pretty up to date on weapons, tanks to stay pretty up to date on left-side armor, and non-tanks can slack on left-side armor while everyone can slack on right-side accessories. (Slacking within reason, of course.) If you get every-few-levels armor for only one role, make that role be tank. Doesn't matter nearly as much for the others.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 14, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Vil posted:

I will mention on this subject that staying up to date on gear is, while not mandatory, a lot more noticeable on tanks than it is on DPS and healers. (They should at least try to stay up to date on weapon though.)

While ilvl doesn't go up terribly much on gear in the leveling process, defense does, and the damage-taken formulas give you reasonable damage taken if you have the defense that you should have at that level.

If you're behind the curve because you're sticking with older gear, you'll feel it more and more as your level goes up. Level 59 dungeon with level 50 tank gear and level 69 dungeon with level 60 tank gear are exercises in pain. Not strictly unhealable by any stretch, but slacker-tank and their healer will have to put in an awful lot more work than they need to, just because slacker-tank can't be hosed to update their gear.

My general advice is for everyone to stay pretty up to date on weapons, tanks to stay pretty up to date on left-side armor, and non-tanks can slack on left-side armor while everyone can slack on right-side accessories. (Slacking within reason, of course.) If you get every-few-levels armor for only one role, make that role be tank. Doesn't matter nearly as much for the others.

My PLD was using the enhanced Shire sword until 70, and the enhanced Shire armor till 68-69. All of the vendor weapons we're inferior until I hit 70.

Keep in mind that the improved Shire equipment is 270, and nq vendor equipment won't equal blue 270 until the very end of SB, if then. The last few dungeons finally provide greens capable of replacing your improved shire, starting with doma castle.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 14, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Khisanth Magus posted:

My PLD was using the enhanced Shire sword until 70, and the enhanced Shire armor till 68-69. All of the vendor weapons we're inferior until I hit 70.

Keep in mind that the improved Shire equipment is 270, and nq vendor equipment won't equal blue 270 until the very end of SB, if then. The last few dungeons finally provide greens capable of replacing your improved shire, starting with doma castle.

Nah, green upgrades start in Bardam's. Shisui is equivalent, and 64+ HQ crafted is a bit better.

Considering how often gear drops in HW/SB dungeons now, that dungeon queues for tanks are quick, and that dungeons are excellent XP, it's ridiculously easy to keep up to date with gear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DapperDuck posted:

How do you guys stay awake playing this game with the current combo system, let alone one that makes you press 11111? Like, you can experience this type of gameplay as a lancer in certain leveling dungeons and, spoiler alert, it sucks rear end. gently caress, you do this as a RDM during AoE pulls: Scatter times ten, three weaponskills and a cooldown if you're lucky. Exciting gameplay!

My fidget cube helps keep my attention for my euphoria addicted brain that demands stimulation at all moments.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Electronaut posted:

As a healer I can tell you, your shire gear was showing it's age at 64. At 66 it was way out of date.

I've had people stay in shire wayyyyy too long tanking for me, it's not fun at all. By 68 I'd be thinking about just kicking you for clearly not understanding tooltips.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 14, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
You get HQ gear from MSQ and sidequests throughout the leveling process, not counting any drops you get from story dungeons and the mandatory drop you get when completing a 61-69 dungeon. Unless the tank you're leveling is an alt, there's really no reason to even stick with Shire once ilevel higher than 270 starts to appear. And, if you're leveling an alt, chainqueueing the highest level dungeon should get you plenty of gear, even if it is only one drop at a time.

NQ vendor stuff is generally trash, but you should never need it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

This is all because vendor gear is NQ and thus has significantly lower stats. Color has nothing to do with it. With HQ crafted gear, which you can also get from quests, you'll replace augmented Shire gear at 64 and Anima/Alex weapons at 66. Bardam's Mettle is the first dungeon that drops gear better than both, although Shisui gear is equivalent to augmented Shire.

Nobody should ever be using vendor gear after 50.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The way 61+ dungeons throw gear at you now, I have no idea how people are keeping Shire so long. Tanks and healers especially, because dungeons are probably the fastest and most reliable way to level them.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The way 61+ dungeons throw gear at you now, I have no idea how people are keeping Shire so long. Tanks and healers especially, because dungeons are probably the fastest and most reliable way to level them.

Leveling roulette tends to give me Shisui more than anything, even when on level for Bardam's and up.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

Leveling roulette tends to give me Shisui more than anything, even when on level for Bardam's and up.

People farming for their sexy gear.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

As a healer I can tell you, your shire gear was showing it's age at 64. At 66 it was way out of date.

I've had people stay in shire wayyyyy too long tanking for me, it's not fun at all. By 68 I'd be thinking about just kicking you for clearly not understanding tooltips.

Good point. The only thing I'd counter with is that I'm still grinding HW MSQ and haven't touched any of the 60+ dungeons or trials yet.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MSQ should give you the gear you need. If you're leveling up another class, hoard dungeon gear rather than turning it in to your GC. Volunteer for runs when goons ask, or start runs yourself.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Not to mention that with chests in the 61-69 dungeons it's not impossible to get 10 drops plus the guaranteed item you get at the end in one run.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

People farming for their sexy gear.

The Moonfire Faire this year is basically the "ok guys stop running Shisui so much" patch. I'm not sure how effective it was.

NQ vendor gear is for spiritbonding and maybe glamour. If you are on your first run through the MSQ, you are getting HQ gear - use it. Otherwise, wear drops from current dungeons at 55-59 and 65-69, or failing that buy some things off the market board. Don't feel like you have to shell out 200K for an HQ ring every two levels, but if you haven't received an upgrade for one of your leftside slots for a while, you really should consider it.

And if you are in an FC with high level crafters, which nearly everybody in this thread should be, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you never ask them for easily made levelling gear.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

nuru posted:

Not to mention that with chests in the 61-69 dungeons it's not impossible to get 10 drops plus the guaranteed item you get at the end in one run.

I've been leveling up all of my classes via dungeons pretty much exclusively post 61.

I'm still missing a piece or two of dungeon gear on healers/casters (and DRG and BRD/MCH) here and there simply because they never dropped/I never won a roll for them.

Weapons can be an issue, I was stuck with the 64 HQ katana until 70 while leveling it because katana's just did not drop. At all (and my first round of gear went to PLD stuff.)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Doing all but the ex roulette with my PLD from 60 to 70, I never got a single drop to replace my pants or belt until I hit 70 and could get verity gear. This was a second class for me so I didn't have the option of quest gear. Mettle didn't drop a single piece of tanking non-accessory great any time I ran it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I got no clue why weapons aren't part of the ensured drops from levelling dungeons. Its the most important part. hell I ended SB with my sch's lux :V

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I had absolutely no weapon drops either. I was at 68 using the lvl64 HQ one before I finally just went onto the MB and bought an overpriced weapon just so that I wasn't so deeply behind. Same with a couple other pieces that refused to drop.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

finally unlocked heavensward a couple days ago but more important may i FINALLY unlocked dark knight which i've been dying to try

still need to level it up more but currently you could not convince me warrior isn't the most fun class in the game

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

getting reallll tired of ironworks armor though

any good glamors for a level 55 warrior??

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

still need to level it up more but currently you could not convince me warrior isn't the most fun class in the game

:thunk:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kaubocks posted:

I'm a fan of the sohm al set. I go back to that one now and then.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

I like Odin's armour, kind of a one size fits all too since it covers everything else up, sometimes I glamour the helmet as well. The Maelstrom 1st Lieutenant GC outfit (with or without hat) is also pretty sharp.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

without a hint of irony because i am too inexperienced overall to know general consensus on warrior, i have a blast playing it and have not enjoyed any other class as much as it

I'm a fan of the sohm al set. I go back to that one now and then.

Vadoc posted:

I like Odin's armour, kind of a one size fits all too since it covers everything else up, sometimes I glamour the helmet as well. The Maelstrom 1st Lieutenant GC outfit (with or without hat) is also pretty sharp.

thanks pals i'll check these out next time i'm in game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Elentor posted:

You missed the point when I said it and now you missed it when Fister said it too. You must really think pressing three buttons in order is an exciting, challenging decision tree.

If that's the case, more power for you buddy. More power for you.

Still ignoring that context plays into rotations that automation can't predict and then busting out a solid paragraph later on to try convince yourself you're right :thunk:
:wink:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Also can't go wrong with a classic Trash Bot just because of how hilarious it looks in cutscenes.

Btw, what gender/race are you playing as because that potentially affects glamour suggestions as well for items that are restricted to one gender or another.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Vadoc posted:

Btw, what gender/race are you playing as because that potentially affects glamour suggestions as well for items that are restricted to one gender or another.

male au ra

his name is bigg nastier and i feel like that needs to be taken into consideration

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Dragoon would not suffer at all for PVP style 1-button combos. The entirety of the interesting part of that class comes when you finally get Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust and actually have to think about using positionals outside the opener and it makes the 2.x content really drag not having them.

Maybe I shouldn't have done so much PotD to level up I guess. I'm way too used to having my 50-60 skills that I just won't have access to for a while. I really should just push towards Heavensward now that I've got a full Ironworks set but I kinda want to see everything first.

^^Admittedly, through levelling I was a fan of just dying whatever level Tank+Lancer gear I had access to all the same color. Most of the armor actually looks pretty good already.

What does the Warrior quest gear look like? The Dragoon wyrm gear everything with ironworks chest ended up looking pretty cool to me, but they match color schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They changed it so that the 4th part of dragoon combos aren't random anymore so it would be a complete non issue.

Even if you're violently opposed to the idea of one-button combos they could just make it an option and let you fill your hotbars with useless garbage if you really want.