Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

food court bailiff posted:

It's not subtle at all but Del Toro just seems like the coolest guy ever and I loving love his cameos in Always Sunny as Pappy McPoyle.

I love his interpretation of Pappy and the McPoyle family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcsQ3Rj-0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Red Baron posted:

Well holy poo poo.

Charlie Day got cast in Pacific Rim because of the episode "Charlie Work" and that's how they ended up asking GDT to star in Sunny.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Charlie Day got cast in Pacific Rim because of the episode "Charlie Work" and that's how they ended up asking GDT to star in Sunny.

Charlie Work was years after Pacific Rim, he got cast for a speech he did about bashing rats.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I spent so long watching that movie and wondering why the gently caress J J Abrams was involved, much less acting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh I mixed up the episode names it's called "Charlie Kelly, King of the Rats" I think. "Charlie Work" is the one from entirely his perspective that's an homage to the long take in True Detective.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

EmmyOk posted:

Oh I mixed up the episode names it's called "Charlie Kelly, King of the Rats" I think. "Charlie Work" is the one from entirely his perspective that's an homage to the long take in True Detective.

Catching all the cuts/editing tricks on a rewatch was like walking in on your parents putting the Santa gifts under the tree

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Probably not quite a Subtle thing, but a thing I like nonetheless - I love that the "rhythm" of the plot beats in Finding Dory put the viewer completely in Dory's head - in Nemo, we saw her from the outside, so it was easy to get frustrated by her scatterbrained nature, but in the sequel we see something interesting - she is just as frustrated as Marlin was with her. Every time she starts putting clues together and getting closer to what she's looking for, like when she finds the sign in the aquarium and recognises that she's getting closer to her own tank things move at a breakneck pace, with more and more getting put together and it's really satisfying - then something else comes along and completely throws her off her game or stresses her out triggering her memory lapses and everything comes screeching to a halt as she tries to recall what she knew before. You stop being annoyed by Dory and start being annoyed by the circumstances stymieing her - it goes from "loving Dory!" in the first movie, to "She was so close until that loving PRAM!"

At least that's how I felt watching it...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I was re-watching "Glengary Glenross" for the hundredth time recently and there's a lot of cool, subtle callbacks throughout that film. Posters on walls, pamphlets, stuff one character says on a background phone call that comes up later. I'm having a hard time remembering specifics because I was high when I watched it but I noticed a lot of simple crossovers and connections that I'd never really realized before.

"Patel?....PATEL!!??...gently caress you!" comes to mind. Earlier in the film someone says "you ever get these names, Patel? Indians? Never bought a loving thing." and then when the replacement leads are handed out after the hot ones are stolen, Ricky Roma gets a "Patel".

There's also a part where someone says "they must like talking to salespeople or some poo poo", in reference to a dead lead, and then near the end, when Williamson is making GBS threads on Levine's new contract and telling him the sale won't stick, he explains "They're insane, Shelley. They just like talking to salespeople"

What a great loving movie and a terrific cast.

There's a Glengary Glenross reference in the kid's cartoon Arthur of all places.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's a Glengary Glenross reference in the kid's cartoon Arthur of all places.

There was a "coffee is for closers" line in the episode of Person of Interest episode I just watched. That movie is referenced all the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Link?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

synthetik posted:

There was a "coffee is for closers" line in the episode of Person of Interest episode I just watched. That movie is referenced all the time.

The ABC - Always Be Closing thing has taken on a life of it's own.

When Alec Baldwin explains "B = Be" I always smirk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When I worked in sales, we had a new sales director try to use that scene to motivate the sales teams. She was baffled as to why people kept quitting under her watch.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That scene isn't in the book, correct?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I can’t find a link right now, but there’s a contest and in the list of prizes, 2nd place is a set of steak knives.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That scene isn't in the book, correct?

The play. And correct, it's purely for the movie. Alec Baldwin's character isn't even named (though he is credited as "Blake" but my joke is that he should have been "gently caress you" since he said "gently caress YOU, THAT'S MY NAME!")

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also, apparently a whole bunch of dude bro finance guys have been going to the play on Broadway and leaving half way through when they realise that scene isn't in it.

I'm sure the producers enjoy their money.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Springtime for Baldwin, I guess.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I stage managed that play once, and the most common comment afterward was, "What about the 'always be closing' scene?"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It's a legit question if you've seen the movie

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Glengary is up there with Scarface (the new one) and Wolf of Wall St. as the most inappropriately enjoyed movie ever made.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

WampaLord posted:

The ABC - Always Be Closing thing has taken on a life of it's own.

When Alec Baldwin explains "B = Be" I always smirk.

They had him do it on 30 Rock more than a couple of times, and it's gold every single time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pook Good Mook posted:

Glengary is up there with Scarface (the new one) and Wolf of Wall St. as the most inappropriately enjoyed movie ever made.

I liked that in War Dogs. Efraim is exactly the right kind of douchelord to watch Scarface and go "man, Tony Montana is awesome, I want to be just like him".

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pook Good Mook posted:

You know why sales people like that scene so much? Because it's pretty much what you're told every other day. I don't miss sales; there's nothing like securing a quarter million dollars worth of business and getting "yeah but what have you done for me *today*" 24 hours later

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You know the real genius of that scene? Al Pacino's character, Roma, the best salesman, isn't there.

Why would he be? He doesn't need the talk, he's a loving master at the craft. And his method is nothing like Blake's ABC manifesto, he seduces the customer over a long period of time before even bringing up that he's selling anything at all.

Blake is wrong, and the movie proves it. Roma only loses the sale because of the manager's fuckup.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

WampaLord posted:

You know the real genius of that scene? Al Pacino's character, Roma, the best salesman, isn't there.

Why would he be? He doesn't need the talk, he's a loving master at the craft. And his method is nothing like Blake's ABC manifesto, he seduces the customer over a long period of time before even bringing up that he's selling anything at all.

Blake is wrong, and the movie proves it. Roma only loses the sale because of the manager's fuckup.

As someone who used to work sales this is exactly right. The real secret is that you can't be taught to be good at it, you either are or you're not.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Arcsquad12 posted:

Muppet treasure island has a bizarre Ghostbusters reference where bunsen honeydew, beaker and fozzie are dressed in ghostbuster uniforms during the latter half of the film, except replacing the no ghosts shoulder patch with a no skull and crossbones patch. They then proceed to scare the pirates off the ship by dressing Sam eagle up as a ghost.

gently caress's sake, I don't know how many times I've watched that movie (it's a lot) and I have NEVER spotted that costume change.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Well, that and lying/trying to swindle the guy. "Kennelworth."

"what, Roma's #1 on the board so he doesn't have to be here for this poo poo?"

"That's CORRECT."

How is Glengary a misunderstood and "appreciated for the wrong reasons" movie like Scarface? Do people think that Baldwin, Spacey, Pacino and the never seen Mitch and Murray were the heroes? The people who think Gordon Gecko was sympathetic? GGGR Seemed pretty well bleak and depressing to me and it was hardly real subtle about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A lot of bros treat Always Be Closing the same as Greed Is Good or whatever.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Memento posted:

I liked that in War Dogs. Efraim is exactly the right kind of douchelord to watch Scarface and go "man, Tony Montana is awesome, I want to be just like him".

Back when I still got stoned and watched MTV, I always wondered about all those rappers and hip hoppers who had tons of Scarface memorabilia and posters hanging up in their places as if he was someone to idolize. I mean, yeah, he came from nothing and made it to the top, but did they completely forget the entire last third of the movie? It does not end well for Mr Montana :s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vicissitude posted:

Back when I still got stoned and watched MTV, I always wondered about all those rappers and hip hoppers who had tons of Scarface memorabilia and posters hanging up in their places as if he was someone to idolize. I mean, yeah, he came from nothing and made it to the top, but did they completely forget the entire last third of the movie? It does not end well for Mr Montana :s

The tragedy is all part of the power fantasy, that being able to live the high life for a bit before it all inevitably comes crashing down is the best a lot of people can hope for, and they know it. (Doesn't help that tends to follow with a lot of African-American history; as soon as people notice you're successful, particularly white people, they're going to try to take it away)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vicissitude posted:

I always wondered about all those rappers and hip hoppers

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

WampaLord posted:

The most recent time I watched it, I realized Shelley is sitting next to Roma, when Roma first starts talking to Mr. Lingk at the bar. You'd think Lingk would have recognized Shelley or even been introduced to him at the bar (as one of Roma's coworkers, not whatever facade he was putting on as a fellow client the next day). Although Roma probably didn't even tell him he was a salesman until an hour later and Shelley was probably long gone by then.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

The most recent time I watched it, I realized Shelley is sitting next to Roma, when Roma first starts talking to Mr. Lingk at the bar. You'd think Lingk would have recognized Shelley or even been introduced to him at the bar (as one of Roma's coworkers, not whatever facade he was putting on as a fellow client the next day). Although Roma probably didn't even tell him he was a salesman until an hour later and Shelley was probably long gone by then.

You can handwave it by saying Lingk was drunk and thus didn't pick up on it, but I guess the real reason is because it's based on a play and you have to conserve actors.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Pook Good Mook posted:

As someone who used to work sales this is exactly right. The real secret is that you can't be taught to be good at it, you either are or you're not.

I used to work on a sales floor, and I sucked at it.

Our best salesman, Nick, was an absolute machine. Every week he'd basically pull in as much commission as the rest of us put together. Every single customer Nick spoke to was a bleeding cash piñata, and Nick had the stick. Every time Nick took a few days off, management would sweat that their #1 superstar salesperson was off.

One time I snuck a look at the figures for the store. They'd remain more-or-less level regardless of Nick's presence. I asked him about it, and he told me his secret:

Nick wasn't able to sell stuff. He was just really good at spotting dud customers and keeping away. Always. Be. Fleeing.

Disgusting Coward has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Aug 14, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I wouldn't expect to recognize some random dude I happened to glance at sitting in a bar the next day.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

EmmyOk posted:

Charlie Work is an homage to "Birdman"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tumble posted:

Charlie Work is an homage to "Birdman"

It's also the long take from TD which is why Dennis keeps saying "all right all right" at the bar ala McConnaughey.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

That episode is amazing really, I was blown away after I saw it. Was not expecting that from always sunny. poo poo was good.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

In the finale of Orphan Black, a show set and filmed in Toronto, someone's drinking a beer from High Park Brewery, which is located in Toronto. It's not something you'd notice unless you were familiar with the brewery itself or spent a lot of time around west end Toronto bars. I appreciated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vicissitude posted:

That's the point. Live fast, die young.

He isn't a gangster icon despite getting murdered he is a icon because he went out in a blaze of glory at the top of his game in a giant mansion.

Sorta like Bonnie and Clyde or say anyone from the 27 club. Dying young basically automatically makes you cool because it means you still had so much potential.

I don't think Jim Morrison or Sid Vicious would have half as many fans if they were still alive because wrinkly old burn-outs with beerguts don't sell as many t-shirts.