Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

I just read this scene today, what on Earth is the anime doing?

This is a great breakdown of the problems of the anime and why they are the way they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kVU8uNdic

TLDR: the director has experience working on a very different style that doesn't translate well, combined with inexperience in CG and overall rushed development. Things that work in hand animation don't always work in 3D and vise versa, and the production needs to be different too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

IIRC they wasted almost a year of pre-production using software and assets that turned out to be way too intensive for their machines. That's why everything looked so much better in the preview!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well it looks very ugly yes but I meant that it's already that far and it's like 24 episodes along?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
ANN did a pretty good article on the Berserk 2016/17 catastrophe. For the record, most anime has roughly the same budget - it's time allocation and staff competence that really affects quality.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Well it looks very ugly yes but I meant that it's already that far and it's like 24 episodes along?

It started post-Golden Age. Skipped Lost Children, though, because a perma-nude child succubus as a main villain has always been a bit much for Berserk adaptations to stomach.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It started post-Golden Age. Skipped Lost Children, though, because a perma-nude child succubus as a main villain has always been a bit much for Berserk adaptations to stomach.

Even so they must have torn through the Tower of Conviction and Trolls arcs. I really want to read all these links because they've very interesting, should I be wary of spoilers? I'm up to the part where Farnese just got engaged.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

They skipped golden age since the movie already did a great job of that (better than the new anime lol) and they burned through black swordsman real fast because again, its been done. Personally I think that was actually a good decision and the least bad thing about the new anime.

EmmyOk posted:

Even so they must have torn through the Tower of Conviction and Trolls arcs. I really want to read all these links because they've very interesting, should I be wary of spoilers? I'm up to the part where Farnese just got engaged.

Both the video I linked and the article Darth Walrus linked shouldn't have any plot spoilers for you. They show some quick pictures or scenes as examples but don't really talk about the plot at all, just the behind-the-scenes development story.

The video has slightly more footage since its a video and not an article, but I think you're past where the anime is even now, much less the bits of footage used for this video. (I'm behind on the anime because its... you know)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

This scene and the final part of the episode where they go to the tavern are legit the only decent parts of the anime

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

EmmyOk posted:

I ended up reading a lot of Pluto instead of BERSERK by mistake!

Pluto is very good though so that's okay. 20th Century Boys and Monster are also fantastic if you haven't read them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a great breakdown of the problems of the anime and why they are the way they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kVU8uNdic

TLDR: the director has experience working on a very different style that doesn't translate well, combined with inexperience in CG and overall rushed development. Things that work in hand animation don't always work in 3D and vise versa, and the production needs to be different too.

It's so uncommon hearing my own accent on youtube videos.

Darth Walrus posted:

ANN did a pretty good article on the Berserk 2016/17 catastrophe. For the record, most anime has roughly the same budget - it's time allocation and staff competence that really affects quality.

These were both really great thank you!

Nuebot posted:

Pluto is very good though so that's okay. 20th Century Boys and Monster are also fantastic if you haven't read them.

I'm almost finished it and it's wonderful! I'm going to watch Monster when I wrap up some other shows

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

- Get huge budget
- Get huge team
- Pick director with no 3D experience
- Try to replicate an insanely detailed 2D art style in 3D
- Multiple failed attempts to convince director it will not work
- Finally succeed and reach a compromise after more than half a year that is neither good 3D art or anything close to good 2D art
- Now have 2-3 months until first episode to air, have broken tools, have no art assets at all
- Diarrhea-poo poo out scenes to have something by deadline like your career depends on it (because it quite literally does)
- It's Berserk 2016!

Imagine you have like 300 scenes to produce in a week so you can fill your episode or you'll be so hosed there's no explaining it. Scene 18 of todays 60 scenes is Zodd crushing a soldier's head with his monster hand. That is how you can get a talented 3D artist to create a clip of Zodd's hand powerpoint-transitioning into a bigger hand and crushing a headshaped melon mounted on top of a set of vibrating shoulders aired at prime-time.

Behind the majority of fuckups there is usually money, talent and good intent, it's just that something goes wrong along the way. The only really staggering thing about this is that they somehow repeated the same mistakes for later seasons. The only way that can happen is by not learning from your mistakes.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 11, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Just curious, how do we know the new Berserk anime had a huge budget? If that's the case, it makes the new show even more of a travesty than it already was.

I agree picking a Director with no 3D experience and trying to create a 3D style backfired horribly, I mean, the final product speaks for itself. Many scenes look like there was no final edit (or pass through of quality control) and they just went with whatever was in the rough cut. That makes me think they rushed out the episodes in a hurry, in order to meet deadlines. That'd be a mistake squarely on the shoulders of the Unit Production Manager, Producers, and the Director. Poor planning, pre-production, and underestimating the demands of creating assets for a stylized 3D show created a formula for disaster. And what a disaster it turned out to be.

Skull Knight, for example, looks pretty polished. Then, other assets from the show look like they came from a student rushing to finish their homework assignment for an Intro to 3D class.

EmmyOk, please don't watch it.

Bisse posted:

Scene 18 of todays 60 scenes is Zodd crushing a soldier's head with his monster hand. That is how you can get a talented 3D artist to create a clip of Zodd's hand powerpoint-transitioning into a bigger hand and crushing a headshaped melon mounted on top of a set of vibrating shoulders aired at prime-time.

lmao

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 11, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wait what the gently caress why do those Berserk films look cool and good?? What the gently caress

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EmmyOk posted:

Wait what the gently caress why do those Berserk films look cool and good?? What the gently caress

The golden age movies are Okay. The first couple have some rough cg in the big battle scenes, but the 2d animation is fantastic. They really got a handle on mixing 3d and 2d by the third movie, it looks amazing.

Which just makes the recent tv series all the more disappointing!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

The golden age movies are Okay. The first couple have some rough cg in the big battle scenes, but the 2d animation is fantastic. They really got a handle on mixing 3d and 2d by the third movie, it looks amazing.

Which just makes the recent tv series all the more disappointing!

Most of Berserk Musou's Golden Age cutscenes are taken from the movies, and the beginning of the Eclipse is just stunning.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, those guys at least learn how to improve so hiring them on to make more films like a Black Swordsman Arc or subsequent adventures at least could theoretically improve with time! But Berserk 2016-7 is cheaper!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Heya, just power read berserk from start to finish. What a rollercoaster! In retrospect I ought to have done a live commentary like other newbie.

Current thoughts: Goddamn Rickert is going to be MVP, I can feel it. Dude has already surpassed Guts in the gently caress-Griffith department.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bisse posted:

- Try to replicate an insanely detailed 2D art style in 3D

Like the video I posted says, trying to do Miura's style in 2D animation would be even more impossible. 3D was a good idea; they just needed a director with experience in CG animation.

Jedah posted:

Just curious, how do we know the new Berserk anime had a huge budget? If that's the case, it makes the new show even more of a travesty than it already was.

Pretty sure he's pulling that out of nowhere. It had no huge budget, but it didn't have a tiny one either so that's no excuse. It seems to be about average.

EmmyOk posted:

Different teams? Lots of people HATE the films, but I think the second and third one look good.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jedah posted:

There was an interview with someone involved with the project, I think it was linked in this thread.

He stated the project was basically a wet dream child of the producer, who had a background in 2d animation but little 3d experience (which also happen to be why 6+ months where wasted on the as Zaphos says literally impossible task of making the 3d look like good 2d), good financial backing, a well-known brand with big potential due to the long delay since the last anime, and was also the first major 3d show that this studio has attempted to produce by itself. As such it had a bigger budget than most anime projects.

The interview also contained a lot of other fantastic tidbits about the breakdowns in the production. Apparently there was One Guy responsible for All The Tooling used to create the entire show. Predictably, the tools were a buggy mess.

But by the gods I can not find the interview anywhere at all after a grand 4 minutes of searching. Which is a shame because it was a really enlightening interview)

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 11, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

WaybackMachine to the rescue!

https://web.archive.org/web/20170720202604/http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834

It contains the production story, but not the budget quote. Not sure where I got that from to be honest, the internet is a vast place, or quite possibly i'm just simply wrong.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Ahh okay, thanks for answering my question, I'll check it out. :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

it's really telling how bad the process was that the teaser they put out appeared to have meshed the 2D faces + 3D bodies really well and looked promising, only for everyone that worked on it to find out, nope, we can't do that lol, and the finished scene looks terrible by comparison

In a just world, the dude that directed this should never be allowed near a tv show again

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
another video pointed out how the strength of animation is its ability to convey kinetic scenes where manga is better for picturesque scenes. Instead of awesome brutal kinetic combat we got KLANG

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

another video pointed out how the strength of animation is its ability to convey kinetic scenes where manga is better for picturesque scenes. Instead of awesome brutal kinetic combat we got KLANG

Yeah, the 2nd golden age movie with the battle for Doldrey really shows you some cool action carnage that the CG can pull off, with giant fields of enemies since they don't have to hand animate them all every frame.

And the new anime has like none of that, its so bad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

EmmyOk posted:

I'm almost finished it and it's wonderful! I'm going to watch Monster when I wrap up some other shows
I've never actually watched more than the first few episodes, I read it and was completely spoiled on that. But it's a solid series and I've heard good things about the adaptation. I'm still very disappointed that 20th Century Boys has never gotten an anime.

Bug Squash posted:

Heya, just power read berserk from start to finish. What a rollercoaster! In retrospect I ought to have done a live commentary like other newbie.
Welcome to the hiatus arc. At least they're off the boat this time. :negative:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

perma-nude child succubus

:yikes:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Darth Walrus posted:

Which is overall kind of a shame because the "elves" gleefully slaughtering each other is one of the most unsettling things and I'm sad it gets cut because of something else

Just change her character design or something my dudes

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Yeah I don't think she ever does succubus stuff? Can't we just put moth hair everywhere? And more cutaways, because I think even the manga had to cut away from the adult attack.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I've been reading through the series for the first time and I hate that I have less than 50 chapters until I catch up

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah I don't think she ever does succubus stuff? Can't we just put moth hair everywhere? And more cutaways, because I think even the manga had to cut away from the adult attack.

It's not the most visually disturbing thing in Berserk but the adult attack was one of those things that made me stop and go drat

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Billzasilver posted:

It would be pretty easy to change the character design to make it family friendly, so I guess it was just the cost of animating that particular arc.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Naaa, it's because it was philosophical instead of religious. They figured in making more money off some religious nut bag with a thirst for power.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hiatus notes: I'm reading Slan by A.E. van Vogt. While not Berserk, it is fairly grim: the Slan characters are alone in a hostile world, with only their abilities to keep them alive. The book also does a drat good job at writing the perspective of psychic abilities.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I seem to remember her hitting on Guts. It was pretty uncomfortable.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Who are you guys going to sacrifice for the US solar eclipse?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

temple posted:

Who are you guys going to sacrifice for the US solar eclipse?

My foot

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Happy Festivals Eve everyone!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hiatus notes: I'm reading Slan by A.E. van Vogt. While not Berserk, it is fairly grim: the Slan characters are alone in a hostile world, with only their abilities to keep them alive. The book also does a drat good job at writing the perspective of psychic abilities.

Didn't that book basically inspire "Toward the Terra?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Of the ones I have read, Ubik is probably the weirdest.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hoping for 0 titty monsters today, and the floor not being replaced with screaming faces would be a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Firstborn posted:

Hoping for 0 titty monsters today, and the floor not being replaced with screaming faces would be a plus

Don Trump is gonna use his behelit today. I guarantee it.