Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

:shrug:

I think I brought up his hateboner for Kant once but honestly his hatred of long-dead Germans is quaint and charming compared to his horrifically bad opinions on modern day events

Well, dude already believes that everyone here is incapable of reason, so I guess he's gotta figure out SOME motive. (Especially if he wants to avoid spending a minute considering his beliefs may be wrong.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/896613862321115136

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/896614130840477697

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

Super Mar if you're still reading this we don't think Scott Alexander is NRX or hate him, he's just kinda... naive...

Like I don't think anyone in this thread hates him, he's just weirdly, i don't know, adorable in how bumbling and wrong he is about everything.

I hate the guy, for some definition of hate.

More to the point, I think lovely Scott belongs in this thread. Yeah, most of the time he stumbles around like Megan McArdle's evolved form, a fake centrist aiming poisonous arguments only leftward. When you add in the implications of his beliefs, though -- especially his thirst for high-IQ übermensch -- I think you get an NRx flavor of poo poo. He's like a horror movie where James Lileks gets a heart transplant, but it turns out the heart is from Josef Mengele.

Anyway the DE is all just conservative fanfic. They're internet shitlords who take the 'lord' part literally and refuse to age out of it. They'd be moderate Republicans if they had more earning potential or could stand being among the plebs. They'd be libertarians if they weren't such fussy little bitches.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jesus loving Christ this oval office spends the whole time trying to frighten people about muslims and he comes out with this. What is going on????

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cavelcade posted:

Jesus loving Christ this oval office spends the whole time trying to frighten people about muslims and he comes out with this. What is going on????

It is pretty funny to see him pull the "Don't demonize whole groups of human beings u_u" card after literal years of calling everyone to the left of him zombies or mindless puppets of (((memetic poisoning)))

Hey Rev: I think the neo-nazis in Virginia are evil BECAUSE they're sapient human beings capable of reason. If they weren't, they'd just be rabid animals not deserving of moral condemnation.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Cavelcade posted:

I think he's trying to say that the left/anti-racist protesters/general media types are the ones trying to divide us with their hostility towards the white nationalistpro-Confederate protests. The "people slightly different from ourselves" are the "pro-Confederate" protesters (but not the bad white supremacists, as if you could draw any reasonable distinction between the two).

I think. It's baffling.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

more like Blind Alaska :v:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
man, the number of rationalists justifying the charlottesville car attack as karma for punching richard spencer.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Fututor Magnus posted:

man, the number of rationalists justifying the charlottesville car attack as karma for punching richard spencer.

So a lady who'd never been to a protest before deserved to die because some other people punched a guy.

And these dudes think they've got the moral high ground?!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

:thunk:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
In all fairness he did say that 5 years ago

Also in all fairness, he called people on the SA forums p-zombies like, yesterday, so he almost certainly hasn't changed at all

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sax Solo posted:

I hate the guy, for some definition of hate.

More to the point, I think lovely Scott belongs in this thread. Yeah, most of the time he stumbles around like Megan McArdle's evolved form, a fake centrist aiming poisonous arguments only leftward. When you add in the implications of his beliefs, though -- especially his thirst for high-IQ übermensch -- I think you get an NRx flavor of poo poo. He's like a horror movie where James Lileks gets a heart transplant, but it turns out the heart is from Josef Mengele.

Anyway the DE is all just conservative fanfic. They're internet shitlords who take the 'lord' part literally and refuse to age out of it. They'd be moderate Republicans if they had more earning potential or could stand being among the plebs. They'd be libertarians if they weren't such fussy little bitches.

Oh I definitely think he's NRx adjacent, but he's more of a useful idiot than an actual dork enlightener or whatever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh I definitely think he's NRx adjacent, but he's more of a useful idiot than an actual dork enlightener or whatever

What's the difference?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
What kind of paranoiac reads this thread and gets hate and rage out of it? Like ... 95% of the time it's more like "mildly amusing lovely alt-right quotes to read when you're bored at work."

If St. Rev shows up often, it's only because he's a rich source of lovely opinions. Maybe get better opinions if you don't want to be mocked for them?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's the difference?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Scott Alexander is definitely a reactionary. He can scream til he's blue in the face that he's a liberal, honest, but you can know them by the company they keep.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pookel posted:

If St. Rev shows up often, it's only because he's a rich source of lovely opinions. Maybe get better opinions if you don't want to be mocked for them?

i want rev to know that the only reason he's discussed in this thread is that his opinions are so consistently lovely and surprisingly so that one can't help but want to figure out what ideological background can make someone have such lovely opinions on basically everything. and, of course, his tendency of raging out to a disproportionate degree to basically anything that disagrees with his ideology. it is pretty ironic how he considers this thread to be unreasonably angry and hateful towards him or whatever when seeing a poster got him into a frothing rage.

eschaton posted:

Scott Alexander is definitely a reactionary. He can scream til he's blue in the face that he's a liberal, honest, but you can know them by the company they keep.

i don't know if we can officially call him a reactionary yet, but it certainly is getting harder and harder for him to deny that hanging out with racist reactionaries has clearly changed his opinions, no matter how much he goes on about how insightful reactionaries are and how he's just gathering useful insights from them.

but his opinions are pretty lovely regardless of whether he can be considered a reactionary or not (i think he shouldn't be, yet).

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Aug 14, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rev spend the :10bux: and make an account so we can laff at have a civil calm rational discussion about your obviously worth talking about ideas

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

i agree with rev, kant sucks.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Also in all fairness, he called people on the SA forums p-zombies like, yesterday, so he almost certainly hasn't changed at all

so he literally doesn't consider us people, we just look and seem like people but inside we're devoid of the actual mental processes that make up a person

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

First step to genocide, folks. Rev definitely wants to mass-murder SA posters. If he got power he'd be as bad as Hitler.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
amazing rationalist tumblr discussion of the charlottesville incident.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Fututor Magnus posted:

i want rev to know that the only reason he's discussed in this thread is that his opinions are so consistently lovely and surprisingly so that one can't help but want to figure out what ideological background can make someone have such lovely opinions on basically everything. and, of course, his tendency of raging out to a disproportionate degree to basically anything that disagrees with his ideology. it is pretty ironic how he considers this thread to be unreasonably angry and hateful towards him or whatever when seeing a poster got him into a frothing rage.
I'd also add that hes just such a comical figure. He sits around posting these pompous and high minded diatribes all day on Twitter to an empty audience. Hes a perfect target for the thread.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Which is the dumbest goddamn thing. The whole idea behind the p-zombies thought experiment is that you can't tell them apart from "real" people. Add another log on the "DE moron uses fancy terms without understanding them" fire, I guess.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is 0 difference between believing in p-zombies and claiming a given race is subhuman. It requires the same sort of purposeful doublethink. Rev is the sort of person who would love to be a concentration camp guard.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Terrible Opinions posted:

There is 0 difference between believing in p-zombies and claiming a given race is subhuman. It requires the same sort of purposeful doublethink. Rev is the sort of person who would love to be a concentration camp guard.

nooooooooo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lowtax should just bring back the paywall. May as well make :10bux:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/897177718378377216

EDIT: Also he retweeted whatever the gently caress this is http://www.destinationnihil.com/the-quietists-case/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What.......what point is he trying to make?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

What.......what point is he trying to make?

People are only pretending to be outraged that a person was murdered with a car at a protest, and are just using it as political capital to... I dunno, ban free speech or some poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But storefront is very mad a white person died.

That is their whole MO.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oh, that part was more "Dead pretty white ladies make people incapable of thinking straight, therefore all the furor about a person being murdered at a protest isn't really about nazis murdering people, it's just people going berserk over a dead white lady because that's what they do. (Playing straight into the hands of the SJW illuminati's aforementioned plans to blow up free speech forever.)"

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
if you look at the thread, he's actually really angry over this:
https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/897170310348263426

so the SJWs have been waiting for nazis to kill off a white woman (because rev thinks that white female victims have the most impact? it is true in a sense but here he's just trying to draw a bullshit equivalence between leftists and white supremacists) so that they can finally carry out their diabolical plan of kicking nazis off off discord.

the attempt to draw parallels between white nationalist racist propaganda and leftist's bringing attention to one of the victims of far-right violence is pretty amazing though. it probably makes sense in that strange head of this, he's not above comparing people he doesn't like to nazis (especially if they're actually against nazis, which is a massive offense in his eyes).

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly, neonazis activated by the alt-right movement have been killing more minorities in targeted terror attacks for a while now.

But this attacker committed the cardinal sin: killing a white person using free speech. So now the neonazis aren't just murderous assholes, they threaten "order".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

if you look at the thread, he's actually really angry over this:
https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/897170310348263426

so the SJWs have been waiting for nazis to kill off a white woman (because rev thinks that white female victims have the most impact? it is true in a sense but here he's just trying to draw a bullshit equivalence between leftists and white supremacists) so that they can finally carry out their diabolical plan of kicking nazis off off discord.

I mean they're probably most impactful to him, he's spent years blissfully ignoring his reactionary mutals celebrating the freedom of dudes who kill black children

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

One of these days Wikipedia is going to end up in this thread a lot more.

(To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't already, what with its worship of transphobic pseudoscience and editors making excuses for white supremacy all the time)

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I mean they're probably most impactful to him, he's spent years blissfully ignoring his reactionary mutals celebrating the freedom of dudes who kill black children

well, he's been an apologetic for moldbug's slavery apologia, so that's not all he's been blissfully ignoring.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

TinTower posted:

(To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't already, what with its worship of transphobic pseudoscience

Where is this happening? Is it in the talk pages?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

(To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't already, what with its worship of transphobic pseudoscience and editors making excuses for white supremacy all the time)

wiki editors and talk pages are complete garbage and they've been for a long time. i remember when the talk page for the trayvon martin killing was a free-for-all for every racist idiot wanting to inject their own racist conspiracy theories into the article (any page now that has anything to do with BLM is the same). i think the only area where the racists were kicked out on wikipedia is R&I (race and intelligence) when the most prolific scientific racist editor (who just so happened to be a libertarian furry fan of the bell curve and racist hereditarianism in general) was blocked along with his girlfriend's account (which was basically a meatpuppet). or at least that's the one i have experience with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

TinTower posted:

You'd think having a "criticisms" section on Ray Blanchard would be there like they do for most things, but you'd be wrong.

EDIT: Yep still no criticisms. Boy would it suck if your psychiatrist spouted this in your face and when you come home this is the first thing that comes up in your search results.