Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

do curious lockboxes drop loot aside from keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yep. Random crap, some currency and rares, no cool things.

The best I got out of Labyrinth Troves were corrupted items and sac fragments. The best I got out of a Emperor's Vaults was currency (with an exalt). So these are equivalent to the final treasure room's chests. Except I don't think the Trove/Vaults includes some of the cooler variations, like the map chest, or the leveled quality gems chest.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ok, just asked because i was trying to square something up in my head and didn't want to go into the lab to check

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Am I dumb for thinking jewels are a good thing to spent alts on until you get a good mod (life/%damage/etc) and then divine them and hope for the best? The market is pretty slim pickings at the moment.

Jewel alt+regaling is a good way to make money at the start of the league, way better than banging your head against the tyrannical/merciless wall.

I wouldn't divine jewels unless they have 4 good mods. 3 and 2 mods are just too cheap, you can buy a new one for the price of invested divines.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Also, are there always exactly two puzzle keys, or can there be more/less (say from a lack of Argus, or bad luck)?
I'm not sure if less can happen now, but more can certainly happen.

E: Minimum is five.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 14, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the treasure chests at the end can also drop keys. Dunno how common it is, but yeah, you can get 10 (or even more!) keys

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
After spending way too much time On poetrade I got the max block scorching ray build ticking over (except for the 6th link on the chest). It just melts everything. Bosses take longer of course, but you just shield charge away when you need to.

Me like, lots

Edit: what is the highest % movement speed you can get. Currently getting +35% when at full health.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Raged posted:

Edit: what is the highest % movement speed you can get. Currently getting +35% when at full health.

Extremely fast, almost unplayably so. My cheap lab runner has +64% without flask, and is very slow compared to videos I've seen from builds designed to farm the daily gems.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

..btt posted:

Extremely fast, almost unplayably so. My cheap lab runner has +64% without flask, and is very slow compared to videos I've seen from builds designed to farm the daily gems.

You can get fast enough that it's literally unplayable (server boots you).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's concerning - any idea what the threshold is? I've been unexpectedly disconnected while under the effect of acceleration shrines a few times. I've lost like 4 offerings to disconnects already this league.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

cinci zoo sniper posted:

drat that owns

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Yep. Random crap, some currency and rares, no cool things.

The best I got out of Labyrinth Troves were corrupted items and sac fragments. The best I got out of a Emperor's Vaults was currency (with an exalt). So these are equivalent to the final treasure room's chests. Except I don't think the Trove/Vaults includes some of the cooler variations, like the map chest, or the leveled quality gems chest.

emperor's chests can drop superior gems but they're level 1

currency and jewels are the best rewards for bothering with silver keys though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

..btt posted:

That's concerning - any idea what the threshold is? I've been unexpectedly disconnected while under the effect of acceleration shrines a few times. I've lost like 4 offerings to disconnects already this league.

Don't worry you're nowhere near it.

myDad posted:

drat that owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5kHa2FRz4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Watching ZiggyD's vaal pacter facetank a (slightly) buffed Minotaur makes me think that node needs some work :geno:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOz88Txf0xA

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Got back into the game w/ flame totem witch. Not particularly fond of the act extensions as they're all cut/paste reskins, and act 4 still sucks. Wish they'd make it easier to see in boss fights as the screens are so filled with poo poo and it can be difficult to distinguish what actually counts as a safe spot.

I did like the brine king fight though, although again it was a bit messy on the effects

I'm happy the 3-difficulty thing appears to be gone, but i think they could have just leveled content with the player to keep up the xp curve to a point

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You just can't please some people

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sloober posted:

Got back into the game w/ flame totem witch. Not particularly fond of the act extensions as they're all cut/paste reskins, and act 4 still sucks. Wish they'd make it easier to see in boss fights as the screens are so filled with poo poo and it can be difficult to distinguish what actually counts as a safe spot.

I did like the brine king fight though, although again it was a bit messy on the effects

I'm happy the 3-difficulty thing appears to be gone, but i think they could have just leveled content with the player to keep up the xp curve to a point

Holy gently caress no level content with player, it was bad with Oblivion and it would be bad here.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Holy gently caress no level content with player, it was bad with Oblivion and it would be bad here.

It has worked in other games my man, Oblivion is not even the same kind of game as this

Mr. Despair posted:

You just can't please some people

Hmm yes, it is bad that people can still have problems with a game. The entire A5+ was just tedious doldrum. Like it's fine if you like it, and if other people do, but it was just an endless chain of zone revisits with an occasional boss

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well you could be playing d3 and having all the level scaling your heart desires

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Sloober posted:

Not particularly fond of the act extensions as they're all cut/paste reskins

:confused:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I learned that the trickster ascendancy has a passive for no mana cost movement abilities so I have to make a charged dash shadow now. I'll get some good use out of the tabula rasa I got from a prophecy plus the brightbeak i have. :getin:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Oh sorry i mean THIS GAME IS PERFECT A+ NO PROBLEMS AT ALL

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
i would be 100% okay with a d3 rift-esque system that allowed me to just open a level appropriate random zone and let me murder stuff instead of having to (literally) just speed through the acts to get to the end

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

pokchu posted:

i would be 100% okay with a d3 rift-esque system that allowed me to just open a level appropriate random zone and let me murder stuff instead of having to (literally) just speed through the acts to get to the end

this, the one thing I dislike about the game is that they try to keep the level 100 race competitive to watch, but it's also a major part of their marketing strategy and about the game's community itself. I think that removing some of the more hardcore aspects would make the game too much like d3, and while d3 isn't all bad, making your game more like the game of a super rich competitor probably isnt a good idea

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

this, the one thing I dislike about the game is that they try to keep the level 100 race competitive to watch, but it's also a major part of their marketing strategy and about the game's community itself. I think that removing some of the more hardcore aspects would make the game too much like d3, and while d3 isn't all bad, making your game more like the game of a super rich competitor probably isnt a good idea

This reminds me a great deal of the same arguments the permadeath players made about reducing the death exp penalty; and they can easily make leagues for whatever kind of race they want to make

I like the gameplay of PoE i just don't like the whole act setup at all, especially in that it's mandatory due to the passive point distribution and how that major/minor god thing works, and when just screaming through running past everything is the best way to do it just seems like not wanting to 'play the game'. I like the challenging bits from maps and occasionally some boss fights, but the acts don't have any of that stuff.

Hell why don't they make a league where every zone has map mods and do that, i'd play that. poo poo, i'd probably really like the game playthrough. Just make them level appropriate and don't add ones that are more standout difficult (So reflects etc) or build exclusive

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 14, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sloober posted:

This reminds me a great deal of the same arguments the permadeath players made about reducing the death exp penalty; and they can easily make leagues for whatever kind of race they want to make

I like the gameplay of PoE i just don't like the whole act setup at all, especially in that it's mandatory due to the passive point distribution and how that major/minor god thing works, and when just screaming through running past everything is the best way to do it just seems like not wanting to 'play the game'. I like the challenging bits from maps and occasionally some boss fights, but the acts don't have any of that stuff.

Hell why don't they make a league where every zone has map mods and do that, i'd play that. poo poo, i'd probably really like the game playthrough. Just make them level appropriate and don't add ones that are more standout difficult (So reflects etc) or build exclusive

Because they have a lot of things to worry about. The Standard economy for example, since (as far as I've read) half the game's population plays Standard very regularly. Streamers, since they have to offer them an exciting competition to base their first few days of streaming a new league around. Newbies, who are probably not extremely well-versed in the game's balance and what makes a good build.

Consider this: there's a massive variance between a good build and a bad build in PoE, but the devs want both to be able to play their game, or at least progress in some way. Level scaling would either make the game a complete snoozefest for the better half of the playerbase, or it'd make the game unplayably hard for the more casual/less experienced half.

The solution is to make every build balanced of course, but that also most likely means removing gimmicks and player choice in general, like in diablo the third.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

Because they have a lot of things to worry about. The Standard economy for example, since (as far as I've read) half the game's population plays Standard very regularly. Streamers, since they have to offer them an exciting competition to base their first few days of streaming a new league around. Newbies, who are probably not extremely well-versed in the game's balance and what makes a good build.

Consider this: there's a massive variance between a good build and a bad build in PoE, but the devs want both to be able to play their game, or at least progress in some way. Level scaling would either make the game a complete snoozefest for the better half of the playerbase, or it'd make the game unplayably hard for the more casual/less experienced half.

The solution is to make every build balanced of course, but that also most likely means removing gimmicks and player choice in general, like in diablo the third.

You're probably right but i get annoyed when people use the 'hardcore' excuse, because it was often used as a reasoning against anything that made it even slightly more player friendly.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sloober posted:

You're probably right but i get annoyed when people use the 'hardcore' excuse, because it was often used as a reasoning against anything that made it even slightly more player friendly.

I'm not a hardcore player, but I think it's useful to have a few things to really set your game apart from others of the same genre, and the incredibly rich competitive gameplay this game offers really is something else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sloober posted:

Oh sorry i mean THIS GAME IS PERFECT A+ NO PROBLEMS AT ALL

Lmao you are getting really worked over people laughing at your beard.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sloober posted:

This reminds me a great deal of the same arguments the permadeath players made about reducing the death exp penalty
Didn't it get increased this patch? :troll:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

10bux posted:

I've noticed quite a few goons wanting to play one of the Pathfinder/Raider Elemental Wander builds, so I just wanted to make a quick post to hopefully help you buy the best wand. Let me say first off, even though the wands aren't 10ex+ like the old phys wand builds, wanders are still expensive as gently caress too make. Keep that in mind if you wanna make one.

Anyway, in my opinion, your wand MUST have ALL of of the following four criteria:

1. Imbued Wand Base
2. Lightning Damage
3. Attack Speed
4. Crit Chance

Now I guarantee if you search for a wand with all four of the above plus something like... 180+ elemental dps, you are looking at wands costing many exalts. The good news is Master crafting wands is very good, specifically Increased Attack Speed and Increased Critical Strike Chance. This allows us many unique options for buying a wand.

Outlined below is my recommendation for buying a wand, which will cost whatever you pay for the wand, plus 2-4 exalted. Remember exalts are trading for 45:1c currently, so 180 chaos. Anyone who's played a wander will tell you this is cheap as gently caress for a wand that's almost impossible to replace for less then 20ex or something. If you cannot afford the 2-4 price, then use Piscator's Unique.

HOW TO BUY A GOOD ELEMENTAL WAND:

Step 1: Search poe.trade/poeapp for an Imbued Wand with 180+ Elemental DPS

Step 2: Look only at the wands with High Lightning Damage (T1/T2) and High Fire or Cold Damage (T1-T3). Then use one of the methods outlined below:

Wand One: First, look to see if there's any with 10%+++ Increased Attack Speed and an open suffix; or 20-25%+++ increased Critical Strike Chance with an open suffix. If there is, and its less then 2-4ex with the elemental damage above, this is a good deal and a good wand, I'd buy it. Take note that the third prefix and suffix really don't matter as long as you have the four criteria. however, WED, Multi, a 3rd Ele dmg, Increased Lightning Damage, etc are all nice bonuses and can actually make the wand worth a lot more then 4ex and still be a good deal. Good loving luck finding this wand before everyone else does though. If there are none, go on to Wand Two.

Wand Two: Now look for a wand with the necessary elemental DPS and ZERO suffixes. If there's one for 1-2ex or less, go ahead and buy it, it's a good deal (again, third prefix isn't a huge deal). Then with Elreon 8, you pay 2ex for "can have multiple crafted mods," and craft crit chance attack speed. If there aren't any wands like this, move onto Wand Three.

Wand Three: This is usually going to be your best bet in my opinion. Look for a wand with the necessary elemental damage that also has a third prefix that's either OPEN; or, 3rd elemental dmg, 20%+ Elemental Damage with attacks, Increased Lightning Damage %, or something like +2 lightning gems or spell damage is decent as well, but not as desirable. Once you find one that has the right prefixes, then look at the suffixes. The only thing that matters is that it has 1-3 open suffixes, basically (2 SUFFIX MAXIMUM). Try to find one that meets those prefix/suffix requirements for 1-20chaos, but I'd definitely pay up to an exalt for T1/T1. Then, take your wand to Haku level 8 and craft "prefixes cannot be changed." Once you have done that, use an orb of scouring so that all you have left is the elemental damage prefixes. Then take it to elreon 8 and craft "can have multiple crafted mods." Then back to Tora so that you can craft attack speed, crit chance, and possibly Elemental Damage with Weapons if you got an open prefix.

If there's no goons with high enough masters on, feel free to search the forums for a crafting service. I've never had a problem in prior leagues and I almost always use the free ones, but tell the guy im going to tip him in the end.

Here's a wand I just purchased for 10chaos, and will be using step 4:

I just purchased that for 10chaos, then I'll do the Haku 8 mod "prefixes cannot be changed," scour it, then elreon 8 for "can have multiple crafted mods," then craft Increased Elemental Damage with Weapons, Increased Critical Strike Chance, Increased Attack Speed. You might have to divine a couple times to get the rolls you want but those are currently cheap.

Total cost = 10 chaos + 2 exalt + 1 scour + 2 exalt + 4 alchemy + 2 chaos. 4ex 12chaos 1 scour 4alch.

You spent 200 chaos on a weapon that's worse than Piscator's Vigil for most use cases.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
He mentioned the piscator's in his post, fyi

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I thought ex went up to like 60-70c?

people want breach items and lv8 zana = 2 breaches for 5c. So expect them to stay normal levels.

Is the trade api fixed? Trying to buy maps on saturday and i spammed 20 people all saying sold. Quite annoying.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Holyshoot posted:

people want breach items and lv8 zana = 2 breaches for 5c. So expect them to stay normal levels.

Is the trade api fixed? Trying to buy maps on saturday and i spammed 20 people all saying sold. Quite annoying.

Are you using poeapp.com or poe.trade? poe.trade has been a horrible mess thats lagged behind all season.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So I'm doing a goofy wild strike elementalist and I just got my cruel ascendancy for the always-up 25% ele damage pen. Holy poo poo everything explodes now. I'm glad I'll be getting reduced reflect damage before endgame or I'd be pasting myself every time.

I'm also really liking building this character in general. The fact that 100% damage is converted and wild strike uses any weapon gives me huge flexibility in gearing. I see most of you are going mara and presumably mostly stacking +%phys... Is that more efficient than getting lots of integer ele damage? I'm using a high phys rare sword that also has a bunch of integer lite damage. Due to starting in witch, I've taken a bunch of ele damage nodes and not as many phys as mara would (but still some around templar and shadow), and I'm using ice/lite heralds and wrath. I'm unsure if I'll go RT or EO, but probably not crit. I guess I'll see how hard gearing acc is. Anyone have input on the various ways of increasing wild strike damage and their relative efficiency? It's not too late for me to refocus more on phys, but due to the nature of the top part of the tree I'd rather not.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's the meta shaking out like?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Raged posted:

After spending way too much time On poetrade I got the max block scorching ray build ticking over (except for the 6th link on the chest). It just melts everything. Bosses take longer of course, but you just shield charge away when you need to.

Me like, lots

The necro version? How high have you pushed it so far? I'm curious about it, but I've been wondering how it holds up relative to the standard sr build vs guardians, shaper and so forth.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the meta shaking out like?

Berserker DP and ele conversion builds (BV, BF, FB) seem to be big winners so far. Having gotten around to playing with berserker DP, its incredibly silly and I have no idea why they didn't nerf berserker going into this league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

nerox posted:

Are you using poeapp.com or poe.trade? poe.trade has been a horrible mess thats lagged behind all season.

I've been running both simultaneously lately when I need something and Poe.app has been lagging behind Poe.tr the last couple days. Otherwise you're correct though.