Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here is how cheating on taxes to make lovely videogames is rewarded in our modern doomsday world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKnv1YzI3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That is a top tax loophole lol

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

here is how cheating on taxes to make lovely videogames is rewarded in our modern doomsday world

The tax loophole stuff is old hat, even if it's still egregious poo poo that should be illegal/guillotine/instant-gulag offense

what struck me most was the divergence between expenses and profits - expenses being cut and contracted even as revenue continued to climb. Absolutely none of the money being saved from taxes was being reinvested.

It's the final loving nail in the coffin for trickle down - investors don't reinvest any income gained from tax breaks, all of it is simply siphoned off.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Income gets reinvested into gifts for politicians.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Taintrunner posted:

normallly dont read the comments, but especially dont read the comments

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

i heckin' love super bunnyhop

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
anime was wrong

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sir Tonk posted:

anime was wrong

what in Tarnation.. heck

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

anime was right posted:

normallly dont read the comments, but especially dont read the comments

I'm only seeing really good comments now

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

anime was right posted:

what in Tarnation.. heck

https://twitter.com/billyraycyrus/status/335910871974965248

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/10/business/dealbook/stock-market-volatility-north-korea.html

quote:

In recent years, hundreds of billions of dollars have flowed into risk parity and other machine-driven funds that are programmed to start selling stocks and bonds once volatility rises sharply.

Automation is killing the crashing-the-market industry.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

From the tromp thread

SKULL.GIF posted:

a few days ago I'd just finished The Big Short and had the sudden revelation that high finance is all bullshit and Obama's bailout did nothing at all to address it and that we're probably headed towards another massive crash

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/896064117181628416

quote:

Years ago, we found out that the world's biggest banks were manipulating LIBOR. That sucked.

Now, the news is worse: LIBOR is made up.

Actually it's worse even than that. LIBOR is probably both manipulated and made up. The basis for a substantial portion of the world's borrowing is a bent fairy tale.

The admission comes by way of Andrew Bailey, head of Britain's Financial Conduct Authority. He said recently (emphasis mine):

"The absence of active underlying markets raises a serious question about the sustainability of the LIBOR benchmarks. If an active market does not exist, how can even the best run benchmark measure it?"

quote:

In the meantime, there is the question of how this gets fixed. The Brits and Bailey have announced a plan to replace LIBOR with "viable risk-free alternatives by 2021."

This means that within five years, something has to be done to reconfigure a Nepalese mountain range of financial contracts – about $350 trillion worth, according to Bloomberg. A 28 Days Later style panic is not out of the question. At best, it's going to be a logistical nightmare.

Oooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Cool, I'm sure nothing bad will happen between now and 2021. That 350 trillion dollar libor mountain is going to be wrapped up in a neat little package.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kromlech posted:

Cool, I'm sure nothing bad will happen between now and 2021. That 350 trillion dollar libor mountain is going to be wrapped up in a neat little package.

it's okay trump will give them a bailout

and then president booker will order the DOJ to not prosecute the financial criminals responsible

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

anime was right posted:

what in Tarnation.. heck

that was hate speech, plain n simple

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Let's hope the U.S. follows their lead

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kromlech posted:

Finally some justice in the world

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Kromlech posted:

Righteousness and blessedness :mrgw:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Righteousness and blessedness :mrgw:

Imagine this every day if Bernie would have won.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

vietnam: still insanely good

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Bitcoin was mentioned earlier in thread, what do people think about this?
What the media doesn't get about bitcoin

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 13, 2017

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
also Matt Taibbi is very good

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kromlech posted:

that buttcoin link is broken
like buttcoins

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Taintrunner posted:

I just avoid income tax by being in poverty.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

that buttcoin link is broken
like buttcoins

http://www.oftwominds.com/blogaug17/mainstream-BTC8-17.html

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
specifically:

quote:

The mainstream also misses the core driver of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies: the current financial system is doomed , and some other arrangements will emerge. Those who get on board alternative arrangements early will likely preserve more of their wealth than those who believe the current system is permanent, and some may earn great wealth as capital flees the sinking ship of central banking/credit for more secure climes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kromlech posted:

specifically:

if the world financial system collapses, the currencies of choice will be bullets and canned food, not magic internet money

if things are so hosed that dollars are worthless, that means that some pretty fundamental functions of the economy are going to be down and out too. including the basic distribution and logistics systems that support modern society. what's left of the economy will base itself around useful things, rather than begging gold hoarders or bitcoin billionaires for their useless scrip

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ruzihm posted:

From the tromp thread

Oooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sure is weird how the fundamental issue of low profitability is inescapable and will require absolutely massive capital destruction before you see a return to anything even vaguely approaching post-WW2

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kromlech posted:

How about you tell us what you think?

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Rex-Goliath posted:

How about you tell us what you think?
I think money is a distraction to humanity's greater existential threats, such as climate change and nuclear warfare.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if instead of rising to face these threats here in the 21st century, we instead picked a new distraction. That's why i find cryptomoney interesting.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
When i say money, i also include the accumulation of wealth in capitalism in there as another stupid thing we do.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Bitcoin is probably the most fragile out of all the assets you could buy into. It could be useful in terms of a localised financial crash or a temporary global depression. But the depression we're about to head into isn't local or temporary, and is just a symptom of the larger problem; resource depletion. As the economy collapses the electrical grid will rapidly become intermittent. Without a bank Bitcoin already has huge liquidity problems, if you can only access it for 3 hours a day then it turns into a stranded asset.

Gold could fare better as a long term store of value, but also has huge liquidity problems. Being offered payment in gold is sort of like being offered a collection of rare baseball cards or a first edition book or something, you can theoretically see that it has value but it's something that's abstract without an immediate use. Gold is also quite prone to theft, you aren't going to walk around with a pouch of gold coins to pay for food unless you want a lead pipe to the face, meaning any business you conduct would have to be in secret with people you already trust. In the long term it could have niche applications for big ticket purchases, like buying livestock or pleading with a ship captain for safe passage, but it's unlikely have any impact on your immediate day to day livelihood.

Withdrawing all your money in cash isn't a bad idea? Everyone immediately understands the value of cash, and cash will rapidly become king overnight as the banking and credit system collapses and the economy undergoes severe deflation. This will ultimately be a temporary state of affairs though, because the now bankrupt governments of the world will attempt to rectify the problem by printing enough money to make cash worthless, so spend as much while you can.

In the end the best hedge is to invest in skills and equipment now that will be useful later.
Knowing how to grow food or build things is immediately useful to you, and if you can help give people purpose and a sense of control over the future you're less likely to be murdered.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nerds

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
if all your money becomes worthless overnight, are you going to:

a) go trade your prized possessions to the one bitcoiner within fifty miles of you in exchange for magic fun bucks

b) exchange your car for a box full of graphics cards and hope you're lucky enough to get 0.001 bitcoins before the power goes out and renders them worthless

c) join the looters pillaging the area in order to stock up on food and gasoline

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The us defaulting would be really funny

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jose posted:

The us defaulting would be really funny

part of me wants to say 'no actually it'd be real hosed and really screw a ton of people' but things are already so hosed and so many people are already getting screwed that, gently caress it i guess, bring it on.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Main Paineframe posted:

if all your money becomes worthless overnight, are you going to:

a) go trade your prized possessions to the one bitcoiner within fifty miles of you in exchange for magic fun bucks

b) exchange your car for a box full of graphics cards and hope you're lucky enough to get 0.001 bitcoins before the power goes out and renders them worthless

c) join the looters pillaging the area in order to stock up on food and gasoline

c, always c
like, are you kidding?
because, like, obviously c

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

financially racist posted:

part of me wants to say 'no actually it'd be real hosed and really screw a ton of people' but things are already so hosed and so many people are already getting screwed that, gently caress it i guess, bring it on.

ultimately its an outcome contingent upon the decisionmaking process of an institutional psycopathy that's been eating itself alive with the aid of its own state propaganda, so a default really comes down to a matter of whether we do it now or at some undetermined point in the future because yes, actually, your suicidal buddy might just pull the trigger while the two of you are posing together over a butchered iraqi corpse

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJGtm7XWpRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the difference is that the housing subprime crisis exploded like they did because the 'understanding' across the entire industry was that housing couldn't go bust and as such was leveraged out to wazoo for every other financial instrument

no one believes that the value of cars will go up forever no matter what

it's still bad and a blight on the economy as a whole but it's not going to kick off a crisis

also lol rt