Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
alright boys, girls, boygirls and girlboys, let's talk about the second great depression

warning: i am an idiot

here are our doomsday scenarios to fawn over:

quote:

One rarely discussed feature of the "student loan industrial complex" is the $200 billion market for student loan asset-backed securities (SLABS). This is a circular business, involving lenders like Sallie Mae and big banks like Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Like mortgages, student loans get pooled and repackaged into new financial products (securities). The lenders then sell the securities to investors. Investors receive the reward of monthly loan payments, plus interest. They can hold the securities themselves, trade them or bet on them. In turn, lenders receive quick cash, including fees and commissions, and push the risk of the underlying loans onto investors. This shift allows lenders to make more, and larger, loans.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-wall-street-profits-from-student-debt-20160414

like the great recession, we can see an enormous amount of betting on consumer debt, this time in the case of student loans. currently, student loans account for 1.3 trillion dollars of debt in the united states, so there's about 200 bil on betting on this amount of money. there's going to be a problem, the same one that caused the great recession, namely:

"Widespread failures in financial regulation, including the Federal Reserve’s failure to stem the tide of toxic mortgages"

in essence, institutions are lending out billions of dollars that they may not get back. in an effort to seek out additional profit, they basically take larger and larger risks. these larger risks may end up being bundled as "safe" in SLABS when they are anything but. if we repeal dodd-frank, we're literally in the exact same situation. last month the house did repeal dodd-frank. that means if it makes it past the senate, we're probably going to repeat history, lmao. good job everyone.

we're pretty much on track to repeat the mortgage crisis, again. subprime mortgages are being lent out again because banks need to see those numbers go up up up! and well, without dodd frank, we might see a double whammy. will we get hit by the same thing twice, or will we get a little bit of a mixup? who knows!

oh! but we also have another issue:

the tech "bubble"

now, we're not in the dot-com era. that was mostly fueled by some really stupid frenzy.the market has been shooting the gently caress up since the end of the obama admin, but there's an issue: a lot of tech companies are struggling to actually turn a profit. there's basically an IPO dump scheme going on: get a bunch of investors, go public, cash out on your stock, and then leave everyone else who bought it going "uhh, how the gently caress is snapchat and twitter going to make money." there's plenty or profitable stuff in tech, but there's a chance investors will begin to grow wary of investing in lovely apps and vr tech that won't sell. there's thousands of failures in every industry, but it's the giant ones that might get worrisome. what happens when twitter still isn't profitable? they might sell to microsoft or google or something, but if they see a gigantic company like that not even turn a profit. if they see snapchat crash and burn in 5 years from not making a dime, the reality might hit us, and all that fancy money might mean that silicon valley crashes and burns.

i don't think it's likely, but i think ad prices are overvalued due to clickfarming and bots. i think that people still think that dumping 10 million into the uber of vaping is going to somehow make them 50 million. once they stop thinking that, the money stops circulating. whoever has value will get bought out, alphabet turns into the first trillion dollar company. now what? where are the jobs? these companies won't buy services from other companies anymore using their angel bucks. salesforce starts laying people off. at that point, the market bubble will shoot down. when it shoots down, everyone panics and sells. boom, market bubble collapse. say hello to 2000 all over again. the issue is, what if this compounds with say, another mini-bubble like car loans? what if it compounds with the above? we're all dead, man, all of us. i am doubtful this will actualy be the cause of a depression, this might be our current 10 year recession waiting to happen, and then everything's all good in a year.

ahh, a recession is going to happen though. let's take a look at our good old friend, the regular rear end market pattern that happens everywhere:
time between each recession (since the great depression):

1 year, 9 months
4 years, 2 months
6 years, 8 months
3 years, 1 month
3 years, 9 months
3 years, 3 months
2 years
8 years, 10 months
3 years
4 years, 10 months
1 year
7 years, 8 months
10 years
6 years, 1 month

thats right, longest we've gone without one is ten years. when was the last recession? Dec 2007

we're right on loving time.

hold on everyone, we're ready for the trump recession. take your bets. when will it happen? how will it crash? speak now or forever hold your peace. we're hosed, ya'll, it's just a matter of when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
btw this is a post-fact zone, so feel free to make up your own unique doomsday scenario

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

america is the only first world country to mostly recover from the last recession so this one is going to be incredibly Cool

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wrong thread

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
real estate bubble is happening again, and if it coincides with tech, we are in for a wild ride

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

anime was right posted:

btw this is a post-fact zone, so feel free to make up your own unique doomsday scenario

i dont need to make up my own unique doomsday scenario my smoothbrain presidents done done that for me :smugdon:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
can't wait for the trump tweets

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
millennials already live relatively ascetic lives compared to previous generations, so if material conditions get much worse things could get awesome

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

can't wait for the trump tweets

20% unemployment is FAKE NEWS! Good smart economists are saying we are at FULL EMPLOYMENT! and great economy!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is there some way to short this like in bradley cooper film

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

lol that owns

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

cargo cult posted:

is there some way to short this like in bradley cooper film

im not sure, but it seems like a p good idea to just build up a shitload of cash and invest in blue chips when poo poo hits the fan

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
when does silicon valley turn into a deserted hellscape

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i love unlabeled charts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

anime was right posted:

i love unlabeled charts

thats part of the mystery

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

there's a chance it doesnt because china is dumping more and more money there even as venture capitalists aren't investing as heavily

Trash Trick posted:

im not sure, but it seems like a p good idea to just build up a shitload of cash and invest in blue chips when poo poo hits the fan

i literally have an enormous amount of cash stockpiled because the second the market burns im dumping it all in the market when its at its cheapest (or im just gonna buy a house)

this will backfire spectacularly when instead the value of the dollar plummets and the market is fine.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 7, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
funniest scenario is china buys twitter once everyone realizes its going to crash and burn and only to avoid their own economic instability

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

not soon enough

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'm convinced the housing bubble has to pop after the tech bubble, because it's the tech bubble that's propping up the most egregious housing markets - once that falls, the rest will follow, but that's just my theory

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

rudatron posted:

i'm convinced the housing bubble has to pop after the tech bubble, because it's the tech bubble that's propping up the most egregious housing markets - once that falls, the rest will follow, but that's just my theory

if the tech bubble bursts, all of the houses china and russia bought in seattle and vancouver might become worthless so that might cause be a selling frenzy. in addition, homeowners might default when they lose their 100k/year gig. it's a possible domino for sure.

just remember that if one bubble bursts and suddenly every single millenial loses their job, all of that debt that was deemed "safe" in these SLABS is garbage and all those bets also lose money. worst case scenario is probably tech bubble bursts and takes a huge wave of jobs with it and taking the housing market and student loans with it. once that happens, there will be no money to stimulate the economy from anyone under 35 because they'll either have to eat the debt or pretend it doesn't exist. if they pretend it doesn't exist, congrats, those SLABS become double worthless.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 7, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also: expect millenials to get blamed for everything, because financial regulation and taxing the rich is too hard

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

anime was right posted:

if the tech bubble bursts, all of the houses china and russia bought in seattle and vancouver might become worthless so that might cause be a selling frenzy. in addition, homeowners might default when they lose their 100k/year gig. it's a possible domino for sure.

just remember that if one bubble bursts and suddenly every single millenial loses their job, all of that debt that was deemed "safe" in these SLABS is garbage and all those bets also lose money. worst case scenario is probably tech bubble bursts and takes a huge wave of jobs with it and taking the housing market and student loans with it. once that happens, there will be no money to stimulate the economy from anyone under 35 because they'll either have to eat the debt or pretend it doesn't exist. if they pretend it doesn't exist, congrats, those SLABS become double worthless.

i lust for economic hellfire

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

my doomsday economic theory is we get obliterated by an asteroid made entirely out of purestrain gold

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

anime was right posted:

since student loan debt can't be discharged except via death I think we know what's gonna happen to all the people who stop paying their loans

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i was wondering where all these people get the money to drive expensive new cars where i live (land of $30k millionaires) and now i know

it's subprime auto loans

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I lust for the final crisis

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dear housing bubble, my wife wants to buy a place next spring so please pop by next May TIA

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

millennials already live relatively ascetic lives compared to previous generations, so if material conditions get much worse things could get awesome

My broke as gently caress lifestyle will be even more trendy one day

Normie Chomsky fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 7, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

I lust for the final crisis

my only hope is that the next incarnation of occupies breaks into buildings to :killing:, not just making signs

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

After the Collapse I intend on re opening the slave markets at the site of the Liberty Bell in the ruins of Philly. I'll call it 'The Freedom Exchange'

Also everyone should invest in chest freezers, solar panels and grain storage capacity. Can your own goods once the harvest makes everything cheap! You only have so long to learn before I become your warlord and demand tribute!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
yeah well get ready shitlord because I've cornered the market on bottlecaps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm glad america are going to crash the world economy right about the time brexit happens

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

yeah well get ready shitlord because I've cornered the market on bottlecaps
i'm joining caesar's legion

except caesar in this timeline is zuck

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

i'm glad america are going to crash the world economy right about the time brexit happens
it's weird.

i live in dallas which has a very hot housing market, and the civic culture here is boosterism on a scale that most other american cities can hardly match. see, everything is fine because companies are relocating here everything is going swimmingly!!! so clearly it's totally obvious and you're an IDIOT if you don't believe the jobs can forever-and-ever support the continuing rise in prices!!! but i'm not so sure.

it's not heading to 2008 again, i don't think. but the amount of garbage auto loans, student loans, credit card debt -- in combination -- isn't sustainable. consumer debt more broadly is the problem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/18/business/dealbook/car-loan-subprime.html

quote:

With their low credit scores, buying or leasing a new car is not an option. And when all the interest and fees of a subprime loan are added up, even a used car with mechanical defects and many miles on the odometer can end up costing more than a new car.

Subprime lenders are willing to take a chance on these risky borrowers because when they default, the lenders can repossess their cars and persuade judges in 46 states to give them the power to seize borrowers’ paychecks to cover the balance of the car loan.

Now, with defaults rising, federal banking regulators and economists are worried how the strain of these loans will spill over into the broader economy.

For low-income Americans, the fallout could, in some ways, be worse than the mortgage crisis.

With mortgages, people could turn in the keys to their house and walk away. But with auto debt, there is increasingly no exit. Repossession, rather than being the end, is just the beginning.

[...]

Auto lending was one of the few types of credit that did not dry up during the financial crisis. It now stands at more than $1.1 trillion.

Despite many signs that the market is overheating, securities tied to the loans are so profitable — yielding twice as much as certain Treasury securities — that they remain a sought-after investment on Wall Street.

“The dog keeps eating until its stomach explodes,” said Daniel Zwirn, who runs Arena, a hedge fund that has avoided subprime auto investments.
i'm not an economist i can just look at what's going on in my own immediate neighborhood.

there's ads on drive-time radio now about how to profit from house flipping, which should be a big red siren on the massive speculation that's going on -- i imagine now in part because oil is less profitable. (i knew some people who got into oil speculating for awhile.) the texans are all about it, but people who moved here from florida and so on are (rightfully) skeptical.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 7, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The next crash will be really nice

-After the last crash nothing was learned besides wall street banks finding out they could hold the country hostage
-Finance sector is still driven by commission sales, so this gives them a big incentive to continue cranking out new high risk products
like the securitized subprime auto loans
-Trump administration will continue its program of deregulation and literally has Goldman Sachs guy running the Treasury
-Most of the great finance sector investments that led to the 2008 crash are still around but just got rebranded
-Bull markets don't last forever, the private equity bubble is also pretty impressive
-Home prices especially in commodity sensitive countries like Australia and Canada are heavily inflated

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I can tell when a bubble is about to burst because my brother gets involved in a new get rich scheme. He was in the process of buying a house to flip when the market crashed (luckily for him the deal fell through) , and now he's buying gpus for mining. I expect the crash any day now.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Something something, that joe kennedy quote where he says when shoeshine boys are giving stock tips it's time to sell

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mayor Dave posted:

I can tell when a bubble is about to burst because my brother gets involved in a new get rich scheme. He was in the process of buying a house to flip when the market crashed (luckily for him the deal fell through) , and now he's buying gpus for mining. I expect the crash any day now.
oh that reminds me i wonder what nvidia looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL33_8DcqnE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol