Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I watched it in the beginning because Jay was usually on and it's more like the RLM podcast when he's on. He's not on much anymore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

wtf is wrong with your brains that you're watching pre-rec?

I am all outta roads and at the end of my rope.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I only watch their edited review videos just to see their hot takes on things like "games shouldn't have stories."

For actual entertaining video game streams, I watch Giant Bomb. Well, Giant Beast, more specifically.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Shinjobi posted:

I think Jack is loving BALD

:Keanu woah:

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

In Predator, Arnold's team is meant to be Delta Force, right?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Just wondering... what do people think of Freaks and Geeks? If we're supposed to take that one line from the GB review seriously, Mike either doesn't like it or seemed pretty indifferent towards it.

I still remember it being the underdog TV show that nobody watched but was so drat good. I'd like to give Apatow most of the credit. But looking at the credits for each episode's director and writer, it's hard to not say Feig was more responsible for making that show what is was.

I guess the lazy narrative would be that F&G was ancient history and that he let his craving for Hollywood power come to his head.

Alright, whatever. It's been years since I sat down and watched the whole show; maybe it's not as flawless as I thought it was.

I meant to respond to this.

Freaks and Geeks falls into a category of internet love that I term "Coulda been" where most of the enjoyment comes from imagining the potential future outcomes of the really good setup episodes. From what I remember I thought freaks and geeks was genuinely decent but nothing special. Firefly is also in this category and I point to Serenity as my evidence that season 2 of firefly would be loving terrible. There isn't a movie equivalent for freaks and geeks but I assume they woulda hosed it up somehow.

As to why nobody is talking about it when mentioning fieg successes; it got loving canceled.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Wait till I get caught up on all my hot takes re: ghostbusters 2! I need more vodka first tho tbh

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yaws posted:

Jack is also the only person on RLM with the stones to denounce the Nazis in Charlottesville. He's OK with me for that

Have the others even commented on it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Serenity is like season 6 of a show that didn't last 1. And late season episodes of shows tend to suck since they run out of ideas. So the reavers are just another science gone mad experiment by the government, river becomes a Kung fu ninja and overcomes her crippling mental issues by punching stuff. The only character who doesn't get shafted in the movie is Jeyne only because there was never much to his character to begin with. Also Adam Baldwin is a colossal rear end in a top hat

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Firefly was never very good but I did like the idea of the reavers

people who went deep into space and couldn't deal with the vast emptiness of it and just went loving bonkers over their existential crisis or whatever. Like a whole society went through the movie Event Horizon and turned out like Sam Neills character

But no, they were just rage zombies caused by an evil government virusfnelerngergergerngkerg

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 14, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Firefly owns. :colbert:

Oh noooooooo it might have hypothetically gone bad in hypothetical Season 6.

loving goons. It was a miracle that it got a movie at all!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I enjoyed Firefly the show, I wish Alex Baldwin wasn't a oval office

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What did Mr.Alex do?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
alec baldwin is like george clooney levels of hollywood fuckboy

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Firefly owns. :colbert:

Oh noooooooo it might have hypothetically gone bad in hypothetical Season 6.

loving goons. It was a miracle that it got a movie at all!

Killing everyone is not a miracle! (I <3 you wampa)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Isn't Alex Baldwin like if the worst libertarian and the worst young earth creationist you could find and they had a baby and that baby was raised an anti vaxxer?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
iirc yes and he wouldn't stop talking about that poo poo on set so everyone hated him.

Firefly was cool and fun, but even in its short run there were a couple of really bad episodes so it probably would've sucked if they kept it going.

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017
I didn't know that about Alex Baldwin..... Now I like him even more :twisted:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Firefly was a generally enjoyable show but a lot of the Western stuff was really corny. It was a little cringey at times and I could've done without stuff like the episode about the Old West brothel. It was mostly good though.

I think the people who loudly hate on it are doing it in response to the excessive praise for it. It's one of the most overrated things ever made (which isn't to say it's bad - just not as perfect and amazing as people make it out to be) and its most vocal fans are obnoxious. Naturally people are going to want to point out that the only reason it seems so perfect and amazing is because it never had a chance to get bad like every long-running sci-fi show does at some point.

Hearing nerds cry about some dumb show getting cancelled like it was a horrible injustice worth writing screeds about turned a lot of people off too. I just got sick of hearing about it for a while there. It was like THE hot button nerd issue of the day.

Basically, like with lots of things - the fandom ruined it. (Which isn't fair to the show, of course).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

starkebn posted:

Jack is Jerry, Mike is Rick, Jay is Morty, Rich is Mr Poopy Butthole, Josh is Mr Vagina

Hey, some of the best jokes in the show were at Jerry's expense. Jack can't make that claim.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

starkebn posted:

Jack is Jerry, Mike is Rick, Jay is Morty, Rich is Mr Poopy Butthole, Josh is Mr Vagina

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't Alex Baldwin like if the worst libertarian and the worst young earth creationist you could find and they had a baby and that baby was raised an anti vaxxer?

that's Stephen Baldwin

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

Jack is doofus Rick

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A good deal of thought went into this

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If anything about Firefly upsets me is that its failure meant taking another goofy sci-fi adventure show away from me.

I want more of em, goddammit

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

Jack is doofus Rick

But doofus Rick is likeable.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Firefly sucked because all of my nerd friends loved it and forced themselves to use "Shiney" in their vocabulary. Also it was full of that poo poo where Whedon subverts a trope and then points out how smart it is.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually didn't dislike season 1 of firefly it had some great moments. Lemmie think of some right now.

I liked the ship and the set they used for the ship.

I liked the dumb mercenary.

you can't take the sky from meeeeee

I think I totally skipped some train robbery episode and I feel happier for it tho

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Train robbery episode wasn't that bad. The one where the doctor gets kidnapped by some hillbillies and the brothel shootout episode were the real stinkers from what I remember.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

bloom posted:

Train robbery episode wasn't that bad. The one where the doctor gets kidnapped by some hillbillies and the brothel shootout episode were the real stinkers from what I remember.

I don't remember any of this lol

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Firefly was a lot better when it first aired and felt really original. Which explains why over the last 15 years or whatever every show has ripped off every idea Firefly had, so now it feels hackneyed and unoriginal.

Also, Whedon wrote a great 2 hour pilot and filmed it, but then Fox said gently caress you and your show, now you have to write an entirely new opening episode and try to reintroduce all your characters and premise a second time, but it still has to make sense chronologically after the pilot in case we change our mind later. That's how we got the train robbery episode. Considering the circumstances it was pretty good.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

HoAssHo posted:

Firefly was a generally enjoyable show but a lot of the Western stuff was really corny. It was a little cringey at times and I could've done without stuff like the episode about the Old West brothel. It was mostly good though.

I think the people who loudly hate on it are doing it in response to the excessive praise for it. It's one of the most overrated things ever made (which isn't to say it's bad - just not as perfect and amazing as people make it out to be) and its most vocal fans are obnoxious. Naturally people are going to want to point out that the only reason it seems so perfect and amazing is because it never had a chance to get bad like every long-running sci-fi show does at some point.

Hearing nerds cry about some dumb show getting cancelled like it was a horrible injustice worth writing screeds about turned a lot of people off too. I just got sick of hearing about it for a while there. It was like THE hot button nerd issue of the day.

Basically, like with lots of things - the fandom ruined it. (Which isn't fair to the show, of course).

Fandom ruins everything. The entire concept of fandom is poison and nothing good or meaningful has ever been produced under the label.

an endless sea of crossover drawings by art school dropouts and the absolute worst clickbait banner bars you have ever seen

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Firefly was a lot better when it first aired and felt really original. Which explains why over the last 15 years or whatever every show has ripped off every idea Firefly had, so now it feels hackneyed and unoriginal.

Also, Whedon wrote a great 2 hour pilot and filmed it, but then Fox said gently caress you and your show, now you have to write an entirely new opening episode and try to reintroduce all your characters and premise a second time, but it still has to make sense chronologically after the pilot in case we change our mind later. That's how we got the train robbery episode. Considering the circumstances it was pretty good.

what are some shows that ripped off firefly.

Is it just the bit about the noble prostitute; respected and feared by all in space society? that was always pretty lol

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

If anything about Firefly upsets me is that its failure meant taking another goofy sci-fi adventure show away from me.

I want more of em, goddammit

watch lexx

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

counterfeitsaint posted:

Which explains why over the last 15 years or whatever every show has ripped off every idea Firefly had, so now it feels hackneyed and unoriginal.

what

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Firefly was a lot better when it first aired and felt really original. Which explains why over the last 15 years or whatever every show has ripped off every idea Firefly ripped off from Cowboy Bebop and re-treaded from Buffy

TFTFY

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Firefly was decent in its first season (I have a natural love of silly sci-fi though) and it likely would have found its feet a little more in subsequent seasons

First season of a show is seldom the best the show can really do

At least I have TNG and DS9 episodes to endlessly re-watch

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

It was a fun, quirky, ensemble sci-fi show with a good X-Files or Buffy meta plot and some really entertaining acting.

For throw-away entertainment it was really well done.

Taking anything like that too seriously - as a fan or critic - is not really called for.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Everything having to do with the psychic chick was horrible and felt like fan fiction. A lot of poo poo in that show made me uneasy like the hooker on the ship that only fucks rich people or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Nearly everything I know that Whedon writes is like fan fiction

• Locked thread