Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Why didn't Jorah do what he promised Sam that he would do? Jorah never told Daenerys to trust Jon Snow, and for some reason was totally coy about how he got cured, even though he went right back out on a suicide mission and might never have a chance to tell her later. What?

I assume for show-related reasons that there's supposed to be this big tension about Sam and Jon's loyalties or whatever due to Dany burninating some of Sam's immediate family while we wait for Sam and Jon to find out, but that doesn't explain why Jorah himself decided to be an rear end in a top hat about the whole thing. He couldn't take twenty seconds to discharge his promise to the surgeon who saved his life for free at the risk of said surgeon's life and position?

I'll feel better if he at least has a scene next episode when he remembers what he was supposed to do and slams his head in the snow a few times shouting about how he's an idiot, because otherwise this is just a really weird omission in the context of the actual plot.

Side note: there were several Arya Stark scenes in this episode and I was fine with them. This was a weird evening for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GaussianCopula posted:

Idgi - why would Cersei be unbeatable if Dany and her army went with Jon to win the war in the North first? Wasn't that the strategy of the greatest strategic mind in Westeros (Stannis) to proof in the North he is the true protector of the realm?

And if you have a way to infiltrate the Red Keep, why send in the dwarf and not a small commando of elite fighters to take out Cersei and end the war right there?

But the best scene of the episode was clearly when Jerome Flynn said "might as well jump into the river" when talking about Cersei, given the fact that they can't be in a scene together because Lena Heady hates him.

Cersei wouldn't be lured into the sewers and cellars to be ambushed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Jon and dany are totally gonna gently caress, right?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Also lol at the loving gerndry hammer

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Oh, hey, Kevin Eldon.

...oh, bye, Kevin Eldon!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

JBP posted:

Cersei wouldn't be lured into the sewers and cellars to be ambushed.

They were in the "dragon room" where Quyburn showed her the scorpion, as can be deducted from the fact that there were dragon skulls all around. It's a room where Cersei was in episode 1, but more importantly, it's a room inside the Red Keep and given that they have at least one person with intimate knowledge of all the secret passages in the Red Keep (Varys) leading an assault from there should be trivial. Only obstacle would be the Mountain.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Jon and dany are totally gonna gently caress, right?

Yes, in episode 7 intercut with the Bran vision of the marriage of Jon's parents.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I thought that thease season was pretty bad but ep4 was decent, then this happened. This episode actually makes me not want to not watch any more. What utter garbage.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

I thought that thease season was pretty bad but ep4 was decent, then this happened. This episode actually makes me not want to not watch any more. What utter garbage.

Some colleagues of mine unironically called this the best episode of the season.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GaussianCopula posted:

They were in the "dragon room" where Quyburn showed her the scorpion, as can be deducted from the fact that there were dragon skulls all around. It's a room where Cersei was in episode 1, but more importantly, it's a room inside the Red Keep and given that they have at least one person with intimate knowledge of all the secret passages in the Red Keep (Varys) leading an assault from there should be trivial. Only obstacle would be the Mountain.

It's the pits of the keep and who would lure her there? Who does she trust enough that you could pay to lure her there at the exact time of an assassination?

It makes sense Tyrion has some creepy ways in, but you'd need to get her in there under false pretences and Jaime wouldn't do it, so no one else would either. That's even if you can get face time with someone who isn't Bronn (your old mate).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also your commando group would face the ever vigilant zombie mountain and die as you said.

E: I just thought "actually master assassin Arya could do it" but she didn't even notice LF standing a hallway.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 14, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Some colleagues of mine unironically called this the best episode of the season.

KyloWinter posted:

I have no idea the thought behind either sentiments.

It had a bunch of Davos, so that was cool. The only thing that was outright unbearable was the Arya spy montage. Clarke was almost decent as murderer on a hill?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

You know, when I first read those season-wide spoilers way back, the whole "we'll get a wight and show it to Cersei" sounded like stupid fanfiction with various team-ups, but hey, here we are!

All the Sansa & Arya bitse were terrible. I already said these earlier but how does she manage to get out-spied by Littlefinger with all her training?

I liked Davos & Gendry though. Maybe Sam will find a parchment saying Robert legitimized his bastards on his deathbed because why not.

Dany and Jon still have zero chemistry.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I enjoy the show more now that it's embracing the schlock instead of trying to be all serious about dragon titties. Gendry and his Skyrim Hammer owned, "still rowing" owned, all star rpg party going north owned. Sure it's all dumb as hell, but at least it's entertaining. Pity that they didn't throw Brienne into the A-Team as well, I want to see more of Tormund trying to hit on her.

I'm really confused what the show is trying to do with Danny. Everything about her screams villain, but I still can't see them actually going in that direction. It might help if Emilia Clarke could actually act so we could tell what emotions she's supposed to be feeling, but oh well.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

bloom posted:

I enjoy the show more now that it's embracing the schlock instead of trying to be all serious about dragon titties. Gendry and his Skyrim Hammer owned, "still rowing" owned, all star rpg party going north owned. Sure it's all dumb as hell, but at least it's entertaining. Pity that they didn't throw Brienne into the A-Team as well, I want to see more of Tormund trying to hit on her.

I'm really confused what the show is trying to do with Danny. Everything about her screams villain, but I still can't see them actually going in that direction. It might help if Emilia Clarke could actually act so we could tell what emotions she's supposed to be feeling, but oh well.

They are teasing mad queen to make the reveal when she and her 3 dragons come over the horizon to rescue Jon more epic and surprising.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mastershakeman posted:

they have a priest!

Who put all his point into strength and all his talents into sweet fireswords, except for a single target rez spell. Shoulda have specced a self-heal/shielding build.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cornflakes posted:

god dammit randyll and dickon could've been so loving useful at the wall

Another thing that made no loving sense. "You're not the real queen you can't order me to the wall"

Ok shitwit, how about you volunteer for the wall and since you're an honorable man we'll take you at your word. Or if you don't want to, at least tell your son to. Stupid motherfucker.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

they have a priest!

Yeah but the White Walkers are skilled PVPers who know that you have to take out the healer first.

Only later does Jon learn his mass taunt ability - to late for Thoros.

Remember kids - always bring a secondary healer to your raids.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has Circei had a drink with her in every scene she's been in this season? Is she supposed to be a full on alcho now?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Decius posted:

Who put all his point into strength and all his talents into sweet fireswords, except for a single target rez spell. Shoulda have specced a self-heal/shielding build.

Their main tank is wearing holy plot armour, no point.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

TeaJay posted:

All the Sansa & Arya bitse were terrible. I already said these earlier but how does she manage to get out-spied by Littlefinger with all her training?

Little Finger has been successfully spying in the capital for decades. Arya's spy training consists in magically changing her face, working in the service industry, and explicitly telling people her plans. The real question, in my opinion, is why you would expect Arya to even have a chance at out-spying LF unless her plan somehow crucially involved putting on somebody else's face.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JBP posted:

Their main tank is wearing holy plot armour, no point.

But with such a build Thoros wouldn't die a painful lingering death next week. He draws too much aggro with his build to run without some self-protection or aggro dump.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

You are right, we should not expect subterfuge, let's just have arbitrary build-up for a few episodes and then have Bran spill the beans on Littlefinger as a "gently caress you" moment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

teamcharlie posted:

Little Finger has been successfully spying in the capital for decades. Arya's spy training consists in magically changing her face, working in the service industry, and explicitly telling people her plans. The real question, in my opinion, is why you would expect Arya to even have a chance at out-spying LF unless her plan somehow crucially involved putting on somebody else's face.

I think he could definitely trick her into a gently caress up (like with his fake message spycraft stuff), but I assumed her awareness would be off the chart with her training and she didn't realise he was literally standing in the hall twirling his moustache and wiggling his eyebrows.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
The subject of Arya's training keeps being brought up and maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but wasn't her training just mopping floors and getting hit with a stick?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jondry insulting each other affectionately is a nice call back to Ned and Robert's meeting on the first episode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TowerofOil posted:

The subject of Arya's training keeps being brought up and maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but wasn't her training just mopping floors and getting hit with a stick?

There was some method to that stuff. I think her training cake down to a Zen thing re forgetting yourself while absorbing the new or whatever.

She can fight like an anime and wear people's faces to perform subterfuge now, so I assume that level of training comes with a basic stealth and surveillance component.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TowerofOil posted:

It's like Karate Kid where wax-on wax-off was black belt level training

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Another thing that made no loving sense. "You're not the real queen you can't order me to the wall"

Ok shitwit, how about you volunteer for the wall and since you're an honorable man we'll take you at your word. Or if you don't want to, at least tell your son to. Stupid motherfucker.

He prob doesnt want to take orders from his fat maester son

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Dickon dying for his dad's respect was dumb as hell, but it's only happened so Sam can be make an offhand comment to Jon about it and never mention it again. Then he inherits the castle and lives happily ever after with Gilly.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Obama 2012 posted:

Sam blew town without finding out his Father and Brother were dead, yes? I would assume his renunciation of his title when he took the black still stands, so it's not as though he's Lord of Hornhill now, but given that I'm still puzzling out why they felt the need to make that clear through the dialogue.

It seemed like they missed an obvious callback to earlier seasons. When Jon deserts the Watch to ride south after finding out Ned had been killed by the King. His friends including Sam convince him to return. Have Sam desert the Citidel to ride North after his his father and brother had been killed by the Queen and only have Gilly and the eternal toddler, neither of whom want to convince him to turn back.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sam has vowed to serve the nights watch, not the citadel. He's going back due to his sense of duty.

It's like poetry.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
About those smug maesters dismissing the missive from Winterfell: why haven't they sent a fully trained maester to Castle Black as a replacement for Aemon yet? Presumably such a person would be able to confirm that all or most of the Watch that have ventured north of the Wall will testify that they have encountered the undead. If he was spry enough he might venture north to see for himself. Also, there are apparently no maesters at Eastwatch or the Shadow Tower that have observed things themselves and can corraborate the claim. Nor are crews and passengers on the ships that went to Hardhome considered reliable witnesses, even though they would have seen the dead overrunning the town and the Night King raising the fallen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

About those smug maesters dismissing the missive from Winterfell: why haven't they sent a fully trained maester to Castle Black as a replacement for Aemon yet? Presumably such a person would be able to confirm that all or most of the Watch that have ventured north of the Wall will testify that they have encountered the undead. If he was spry enough he might venture north to see for himself. Also, there are apparently no maesters at Eastwatch or the Shadow Tower that have observed things themselves and can corraborate the claim. Nor are crews and passengers on the ships that went to Hardhome considered reliable witnesses, even though they would have seen the dead overrunning the town and the Night King raising the fallen.

Sam needed to be back at the wall in time for the epic boatsex/wedding montage.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Coucho Marx posted:

Oh, hey, Kevin Eldon.

...oh, bye, Kevin Eldon!

He was also pantomime Ned Stark wasn't he?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sam also doesn't know about his brother and father being killed, archmaester specifically says so.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm disappointed that they cut the bit where Sam pushes the nerd out of his way.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

JBP posted:

Also your commando group would face the ever vigilant zombie mountain and die as you said.

E: I just thought "actually master assassin Arya could do it" but she didn't even notice LF standing a hallway.

I was hoping after Littlefinger's last sneaky grin, we'd get a shot of Arya peeking around the corner with a sly grin, then a shot of littlefinger leaving - but seeing arya's sly grin reflected in a shiny decorative shield, gives a slight smile of his own. after littlefinger leaves, arya gives the shiny shield a little buff with her sleeve and grins.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This year Chadzok is a writer on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Chadzok posted:

I was hoping after Littlefinger's last sneaky grin, we'd get a shot of Arya peeking around the corner with a sly grin, then a shot of littlefinger leaving - but seeing arya's sly grin reflected in a shiny decorative shield, gives a slight smile of his own. after littlefinger leaves, arya gives the shiny shield a little buff with her sleeve and grins.

If they resolved this through either Sansa being trained in the Game of Thrones or Arya being a super assassin it would not be that bad. But it's Bran's ability to be all knowing that is going to do Littlefinger in, which I fear the Chad Summerchilds of the world are going to love because he got killed by magic, the one thing he never accounted for, which is soooo epic.

Oh god, my idiot coworker is now trying to convince me that Rhaegar is the Night King... why??? whyyyyy???????

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 14, 2017

• Locked thread