Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Kicking off a new page with...
*Warning: I went long and Fausty on this one. Please don't roll your eyes out of your head if you decide to read it. I had an interesting trip to Sam Ash:

I bought a Snark "Snarkman" tuner. Um, wow.
I was getting tired of plugging into my BOSS tuner all the time and had just decided to go to the nearby Sam Ash; since it's my day off and I was really bored (going to the music store stopped being fun for me a very long time ago, I avoid it). I figured while I was there I'd demo any small all-tube combos they had in stock, since as much as I am liking my modded Blues Jr. I'm ready to admit it's not "the" amp that I was hoping it might be. I think I intend to keep it, since it was such a fun, personal project and it really is a fantastic little amp. But I wanted to test-drive some others. Maybe "the" amp is out there, somewhere?

To that end I took my old JEM. I only plugged in the trem arm. I didn't take the case or a strap or anything else but a couple picks and, in order to not be "that guy," I didn't carry it by the monkey grip. :) When the customer service lady went to put their guitar arm-band through the strings I said, "Wait. I'm here to play it, not sell it; just put it through here, please," and I had her put that thing through the monkey-grip instead. I thought that was suitably silly. She told me it was "convenient."

I told the sales guy what I wanted (a clip-on tuner) and Sam Ash is pretty much Sparkman Central so I accepted one and said, "Ok, but first will you please show me your inventory of small all-tube combo amps?" I told him, "I'm really hoping for something that has both a good, loud, bright clean tone paired with a nice tight, full-gain crunch tone." He pointed out a VOX AC-15 and I pretty much knew I'd like that amp but we walked the store first.
I asked about Marshall and he showed me the DSL-5. I really wanted to play that one.
We bypassed Orange. I know they're great amps but I didn't think they'd give me the tight crunch I like.
We detoured into the used gear room and he asked if I'd heard of Blackstar. Well, of course I have, but I've never actually played one. The ones I'd heard on YouTube so far were all being used for what seemed to be monotonous, dark metal tones so I was (wrongly) skeptical but he had a little HT-5 half-stack that looked drat cool. Reminded me of a Boogie with those metal knobs on a plain black chassis. There were also some of your usual suspect Fenders in there, too; which I knew would be all wrong for my style and my apartment (and I already know I don't like the Blues Deville. My Peaveys smoke the Deville IMO, even though their clean tone is dull, dull, dull.)

I asked him, quite stupidly, "Can that Blackstar actually do clean?" (Raise your hand if you can see where this is headed.)

He started raving about Blackstar. He said that ever since he'd been turned onto them they were all he played, personally. He turned it on, handed me the cord, and stepped out of the room to help someone so I sat down and hit a few chords. It was already dialed-in to a good crunch tone at just the right volume to get feedback. It *loved* my guitar. From the angle I was sitting I couldn't read the labels under the knobs so when I went to the gain section on the Overdrive channel I dimed the first knob on the left (the Volume knob, but I didn't know that at the time) instead of the Gain knob and it just got... more awesome. So awesome. I flipped the channel switch on the panel and the clean tone was full, bright, and punchy. I started to freak out a little.
"MORON!" I thought. "Why have you never checked these amps out before?! This is everything you love about your Peavey Classic 50 but tighter. The clean channel sounds great, even!"
I hadn't touched a knob on the panel except when I cranked the Overdrive channel Volume knob, and no matter what I did with my guitar's volume knob and pickup selector, it gave me my favorite JEM tones and it was loving heavenly. Inspirational. I rolled off and played bluesy stuff. Original stuff, finger-picked stuff (I don't know much of that but the amp played it all to me very articulately and the closed-back cab had punch and depth). The thing sounded loving amazing, it gave me all the frequencies I wanted and responded to my playing so musically. I rolled all the way up and played a bunch of old hard rock poo poo: Whitesnake and Van Halen and Extreme, all that old stuff that loves good, loud, tight crunch. And this is before I even found the drat Gain knob on the Overdrive channel (which I finally did when he came back and asked to play the guitar, which gave me time to figure out and play with the front panel controls.)
I was feeling both thrilled and retarded. Thrilled because this little amp was amazing me. Retarded because I should have played Blackstars back when they were making waves in the first place. The amp is already out of production, for Christ's sake.

I know this post is getting very Faust-y and it's gonna get worse, but to try to finish up, the guitar sales guy, who's probably twenty years younger than I am, knew a lot of the music I discussed as we chatted. He filled me in on that Blackstar's ISF control, so I played with that. It seemed pretty useful, I could hear what they were doing with it. I looked at the back of the amp and was loving thrilled to see an effects loop send/return. Multiple speaker outs. At this price point. And volume was not going to be a problem.
He told me it had been sitting there for some time and he had room to lower the price (it was sitting at like $445.oo for the head+cabinet, which was in good shape, just really dusty).

Today was the first time in a long time I went into a music store and actually had a great time. There were plenty of people there on this Sunday afternoon (although not nearly as many as I'd have run into if I gone around town to Guitar Center), and the old JEM drew several people over to ask about it. A couple younger guys came up to see it and I handed it over to anyone who wanted to put notes on it (it still has the new strings from recent recordings and the hot car ride to the store luckily didn't throw the setup off, so it was ready to be played). I met some other strangers including a little kid, I'd guess 10 years old, who was way too excited to see an old JEM, and his Dad, who took pictures of him with it. The whole experience really raised my spirits, hence this goofy post. Work has had me kinda down lately and today was just great fun.

Sorry, I'm rambling; but the real point is I left that place on a mission.

Get home. Open Google. Search "Blackstar HT-5 Half-Stack." Click "Shopping" tab.

I found one in Wisconsin on Reverb for $250 +$50 shipping. Seven people watching. 241 views. "Very Good" condition. 7-day return policy. Seller only has one review but it's five stars.

So I bought it.

I'm going to go ask questions about it in the amp thread, I need to know if I myself a favor or made a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Why the hell didn't you buy the one from Sam Ash?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

betterinsodapop posted:

Hello, fellow left-hander. Just wanted to say that the orange guitar (Larrivée RS-2) looks really sweet. What are the pickups like in that?
Thanks! It is (because I will never get tired of writing/saying it) the best guitar I've ever played. The pickups are Larrivée's own and the basic gist of it is:
  • Bridge Pickup: Super-DUPER clean. The tone pot of this is the best secret musical weapon in existence. It does dirty and even metal really well, too.
  • Neck Pickup: Imagine that clean tone that you sometimes want to get but that you feel it forces you to get a single-coil guitar to make. This motherfucker has got you covered.
So yeah. Best guitar ever for this guy writing these words.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

Why the hell didn't you buy the one from Sam Ash?
Dude couldn't match $300 and this one has cooler appointments than the one in the store.

E: Sorry, I had originally put the price in the last post, but it got lost in an edit (yeah, that stupid post was actually edited.) The amp at Sam Ash was plainer and they were asking $450 for it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 14, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Thanks! It is (because I will never get tired of writing/saying it) the best guitar I've ever played. The pickups are Larrivée's own and the basic gist of it is:
  • Bridge Pickup: Super-DUPER clean. The tone pot of this is the best secret musical weapon in existence. It does dirty and even metal really well, too.
  • Neck Pickup: Imagine that clean tone that you sometimes want to get but that you feel it forces you to get a single-coil guitar to make. This motherfucker has got you covered.
So yeah. Best guitar ever for this guy writing these words.

drat, I saw one of these in a pawn shop a while back and thought about buying it but eventually didn't and then when I changed my mind and went back it was gone. Now I'm sad about it again.

The one I saw had p90s though, and I thought they all did. Guess not?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlphaDog posted:

drat, I saw one of these in a pawn shop a while back and thought about buying it but eventually didn't and then when I changed my mind and went back it was gone. Now I'm sad about it again.

The one I saw had p90s though, and I thought they all did. Guess not?
I'm not completely sure, to be honest. I've seen 1 volume, 1 tone version of the same model with a wrap-around bridge and P-90's and that one seemed fun. I've seen the "Pimped-out, Les Paul Custom"-type version (apparently called the RS-4) which had block inlays and Lollar pickups. The playability of the one I actually own kinda reminds me of a Paul Reed Smith a fellow left-handed guy had which he lent me so that I could record for a couple of tracks he did. But that's still falls short. I honestly don't think I'm going to find another all-rounder guitar that is as good as this unless I get one custom-made. It's that good.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
I know I've posted pics of my pedalboard here a long time ago, but now it's down to a Fulltone FB-3 (loving awesome boost/drive) and a Digitech Obscura (a delay I highly recommend) into a custom-wired A/B/Y going into a Fuchs Lucky 7 and a Marshall Studio 15. Sounds crazy, but I think I've found my sound. The only regret I have is that I had to sell my Pickle Vibe. :(

Edit: I play a strat, a tele, and an SG through the setup and it's all gravy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

FlossMan posted:

I know I've posted pics of my pedalboard here a long time ago, but now it's down to a Fulltone FB-3 (loving awesome boost/drive) and a Digitech Obscura (a delay I highly recommend) into a custom-wired A/B/Y going into a Fuchs Lucky 7 and a Marshall Studio 15. Sounds crazy, but I think I've found my sound. The only regret I have is that I had to sell my Pickle Vibe. :(

Edit: I play a strat, a tele, and an SG through the setup and it's all gravy.

That sounds solid af. Fulltone's a dick but drat he makes good poo poo. The rest just sounds perfectly picked to suit your vibe.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm not done throwing money around yet.

After a brief exchange with the seller of the Blackstar HT-5 half-stack that I just bought (not much of a story: He's the 2nd owner, bought it from a guy he took lessons from for 6-7 years, and he claims the amp has very few hours of play on it. It hasn't, to his knowledge, been serviced, had tubes changed, or any trouble with the circuit. Cosmetically, he says I'll be very pleased with it, so ok that's what the seller says), I started thinking about what I'd need want to make a complete-ish little rig out of it.

1st thought: decent-length effect send/return cables. So I went to Redco Audio and bought 30' of Canare GS-6 instrument cable, and two Redco angled t/s connectors and two Redco t/s straight connectors. I'll cut it up and make two 15' cables with straight plugs for the amp send/return jacks and angled plugs for the pedals. All of my modulation/delay effects will live there between the pre-amp and power section, as God himself intended.

I also ordered a new JJ ECC83s for the pre-amp, and a new Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 for the power section, although I will have to do some homework before I mess with changing that power tube.

Now, speaking of modulation effects. For all those years that I played my Peavey combos I ran them via their effects loops in stereo through a rack effects system I'd put together out of cheap stuff: an original Quadraverb, an ART Multiverb 3 Alpha 2.0, a used Hush IIcx, and a BBE 422A. None of that poo poo works right anymore, and I can't afford to get a tc g-major or Line 6 Helix or whatever, so I'm sticking with cool as gently caress pedals (even if these are more mainstream than your boutique stuff. I intend to own some of that stuff, too!)

I told you guys last Saturday I bought a Dunlop EVH phase 90. It's on the way here and should arrive tomorrow. The amp should get here Thursday but I won't be able to get it from the apartment office until Friday morning and won't actually get to play it at volume until Sunday.

The cable parts should ship tomorrow, as should...

O that's why I'm back:

I was chatting with one of my guitarist friends and I mentioned that if I were about to own an amp with an effects loop, I would probably look for a digital reverb pedal to put at the very end of that signal chain in the loop. I like being able to dial in various reverbs based on the cover tune I'm playing or the original I'm working on. That Peavey rig had all the effects in the loops. When we played shows, or recorded practices, even when we recorded our demo, the effects including reverbs through my amps were printed right from the combos to the mics to the board. That way I could control them the way I did live: using my feet and an ART Ultrafoot controller with two expression pedals.
I never used the send/return on the board for anything, because the effects I wanted sounded great right out of the amps, in hard-panned stereo.

So tonight I went looking. What is out there in the realm of digital reverb pedals?! I had no idea.

As I searched, I learned that only the $350+ multi-patch BOSS guy had access to the pre-delay setting, and I *need* pre-delay. It's fundamental to the way I use short, medium, or long reverbs without adding mud to my tone. Give me a good 80-100ms predelay and I can use less reverb but it stands out nicely without interfering with my playing.

Who makes a pedal that has stereo in and outs, true/buffered bypass dip switches, kill-dry (if you have a parallel loop) switching, and selectable pre-delay?

My boys at tc electronic, that's who. I just bought a Hall of Fame 2, and man it's the tits from what I can glean off YouTube. They went out of their way to turn the on/bypass switch into a pressure-sensitive expression pedal. I don't really care, but you can plug it into your PC via USB and assign it to one or more variables so it can just add level if that's what you want. Or it can turn the delay time up to 20s for cavernous notes if you want that. You can assign it to multiple variables at once, if the patch needs it.

But what's more gimmicky but also very gorgeous is you can use it to run the reverb through tc's "polyphonic SubNUp octave algorithm," which they added to this reverb, to add high trails that remind me of 1989 when I first heard the Eventide Ultra-harmonizer. I'm not saying that MASH or Shimmer reverb is the big selling point for me. I just wanted a good room/hall delay with selectable pre-delay. This stuff is icing. The official tc video shows setting up the MASH feature to parameters:

Full video, but skip to 0:40 for the basics on the MASH switch, 1:44 leads up to the editor on a laptop at 2:25, and then 2:40 for the shimmer stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkgrkij-jF0

Here's another video that kinda doesn't get into how customizable it is, but hey... if you can't sleep this will help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4vasV165l4

So, no I wouldn't put this in front of an amp but I'm certainly happy to put it in the loop after my Flashback X4 (which I bought a separate expression pedal for) and my Corona Chorus, MDV-3 and if I can find room, my soon-to-arrive phase 90, and even my old Dunlop tremolo/pan pedal (pan being useless in mono).
The OCD and Tube Driver can go in front. I have a DOD Boneshaker, too, thanks to Dang It Bahbhi and it's back on sale for $39.99 again for another day or two.

There are only a few more pedals I really want to have before I start trying to figure out how to build a pedal board for all this crap and power it up. Some of it is weird, like this fuckin' guy.

tc just has some really great stuff.

E: My hands want to type delay after "digital," so I had to put reverb in there for the post to make sense.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 16, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am, for the record, deeply jealous of that deal you got on that half-stack. I went on reverb to see what prices were like after you talked it up, it's basically $500 and up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Have you played one? I am still vibrating from how amazing it was.

I don't ask that to rub it in, I actually ask because before Sunday the amp was completely unknown to me. I bought another, without getting to play-test it.

On the other hand, you shouldn't feel anything until I actually get the thing and hear if it stands up to the amp I played Sunday. If not, who knows if I can make it live up to that first time hearing it? Maybe this guy sold it at a lower price because there's something wrong with it.

I am trying to stay optimistic (obviously, because I am still buying stuff to go with it).

Watch this space and the Amplifier thread for actual real-life results.

P.S. - If it's great like the one I played, I have a hazy picture of a full stack. Maybe x2. Rocking poo poo and getting me evicted. I can't really offer anything more until the stuff all gets here and I get to test-drive it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Have you played one? I am still vibrating from how amazing it was.

No, I'm just deeply unsatisfied with my current amp situation and $300 is in my budgetary range, while $500 is less so.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

peter gabriel posted:

gently caress yes that's awesome, offset tele owners need a gang tag!

I sat here for two hours last night just noodling on mine, so comfy

I love my Talman, too! I put Nordstrand NVT A3 pickups in it and it's great. My only regret is that they came out with a non-Prestige three-pickup Nashville model like two months after I bought it.

I may just get a Prestige one down the road and move the pickups over.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm thinking of getting a set of Seymour Duncan Vintage Stacks for mine, but I'm going to try shielding it first and see if that's good enough.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I got my used Blackstar HT-5. I am extremely loving thrilled to report that it has all the mojo the one I played last Sunday at the music store has, while looking a little sharper and being $150 cheaper.

I need to correct a thing I mistakenly said about the cabinet, specifically that it was a half-stack on a 1x12" closed-back cabinet. I was wrong. The cabinet is called a Blackstar HT110 and it has a Celestion-designed 10" speaker in it. So no, I can't take the G12H-HE out of my Blues Jr. and put it in this enclosure. Sorry I missed that detail. Dumb overlook on my part, mea culpa.

The amp showed up and I played it just the way I did at the music store (same guitar, same love), only this time I knew more about what the the knobs do. Also, after I head it I put all my pedals in front of the input.

I was surprised (at this time I still thought there was a 12" speaker in there) that I had to turn the Bass EQ knob down because it was the bass was too loud for my neighbors so I backed off.
I set the Treble at 1 o'clock, the bass and mids at 10 o'clock. The amp sounded amazing. Both channels. It took pedals in front just fine, so I will try the effects loop this weekend.

I can't praise this little half-stack enough. I've read lots of people throwing shade at the head and the cabinet and maybe after the honeymoon period maybe I'll become dissatisfied. Right now, I'm elated with it.

So I took some pictures and included the pedals I'll be using with it, although there's one missing: The tc electronic Hall of Fame 2, which should get here tomorrow.

This little guy will not even approach the Blues Jr. in loudness and brashness, but it's eminently usable, right out of the box, stock.
The Blues Jr. is in pieces waiting for a local amp tech to look it over, listen to my thoughts, and if he can help me then that's great.

I polished up the chrome knobs, buffed the light spots on the tolex/covering with parade gloss black shoe polish, and I'll have to spray the metal corner pieces with matte black to cover up their scratches if I want to make it look new-ish, but the amp is in darn good shape and it really sounds fantastic. So I took some pictures with my phone cam to text to friends friends and then took a few more more with my Canon on a tripod so here they all are:

Phone camera pics. Front:

Back:

Canon pics:

Current pedals (Missing the tc electronic Hall of Fame 2 and my old Korg Tube Driver, which I forgot about because the OCD is stunning and this amp loves it):

P.S. - I took the time to put all the mod/delay effects in the FX loop and sweet Jeusu almighty am I home. Sorry, neighbors.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 18, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Not gonna lie that looks like a very fun and well rounded setup. I'm excited to see how you like the HoF2. I had and sold the v.1 but the MASH feature peaked my interest.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I had a HT-1R and it sounded like hot horseshit through the 8" "Blackbird" driver - but pretty good through the emulated out. I'm happy that you're finding it sweet in the mini stack format.

Posted this in the guitar thread but absolutely am not going to resist posting it here too because gently caress yes:

Southern Heel posted:

UNFFFF

It's definitely new stock, but by the age of the strings and dusty fretboard I'm going to assume it wasn't a swift mover, which is why I got it at the price I did - overall £787 for the guitar, £97 for shipping and £163 for duty and handling fee. I admit for this price I could have got myself a Les Paul Trad, but as discussed this comes with THE SPEC. I've seen one listed on Rakuten for £746 since purchasing this, so you might want to grab yourself a bargain: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ekiweb/item/20150604-esp-21/

Initial impressions:
Sound - as expected it totally rips the arse out of my HB equipped LP on anything from clean to mid-gain heavy crunch. Once we're into 'cranked plexi' territory then the HB's win out, especially with my Klon in front. I'm eager to try it infront of a Fender-style amp too. On a clean setting there's a very pleasing woody 'clap' on the neck pickup, and I generally hate clean bridge pickup sounds but this one is quite sweet with the tone rolled all the way off off.

Looks - Absolutely looks the business, brass toggle switch, gold hardware and absolutely flawless finish - it must be a very thin poly coat because around the end of the fretboard the corners are very tight, as opposed to my LP's somewhat curved edges. The neck is chunkier than the 60's slim taper on my LP but absolutely nothing like the R8 necks I was looking at. It's very comfortable but more sticky than my LP (maybe it just needs a good clean), so I'm going to rough up the back of the neck on this baby. It's the same thickness as my regular LP but obviously is double bound. All of the binding is aged other than the front face of the neck binding for some reason.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Brought home the SG today

Electronics aren't as gooched as I expected, but the jack is sloppy as hell and plastic. It will be replaced. The solder job is terrible, but working. Volume pot date code is 52nd week of 1974, so that would make this a definite 1975 model. Neck pickup is a DiMarzio Dual Sound, which is just a split-able Super Distortion. So far, not a fan. Bridge would appear to be an original T-top, but there's a splice in the wiring so I'm guessing it was replaced at one point and put back in later. So far, I am a fan.

Couple shots of where the neck broke. Old repair, and seems stable enough for me. Surprisingly no damage to the bottom of the heel, all of the break was at the top sides.

Can also see it was refretted at some point, no binding on the fret ends.

Even with the wrong bridge, mounted with no slant, the intonation is dead on. Still might look for an original, but it's a not "must have" right now. I will have to get out the calipers and see what gauges are on it now, at least I'd know what will work if I don't change the bridge.

Only bad thing, it really, REALLY sticks of cigarette smoke.

All in all, I think I got a deal for $350.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Some dude probably just paid ten times as much to make his brand new SG look exactly the same way. How much of a pain was the price tag sticker?

(I hope you're planning to play incredibly loud stoner metal riffs with that thing, it looks exactly the part.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Not gonna lie that looks like a very fun and well rounded setup. I'm excited to see how you like the HoF2. I had and sold the v.1 but the MASH feature peaked my interest.
grumpy old man: "Back in MY day" we had 1 rack-space effects units that did four or more effects at once and we liked it! We ran everything with MIDI controllers and we were covered! Then they started adding amp modulation to everything when all we wanted was effects and next thing you know all the multi-effect devices were floor units that tried to do too much and the only good rack gear for effects was either super-expensive or they were full-on amp sims, too.

Pedals became all the rage and us old farts stood around griping! Then we'd go see great dudes with great tones playing combos and huge pedalboards and we felt cheated. Most of that poo poo was crazy expensive. $250 for that?!? Just one effect? I want all the effects! /grumpy old man

Well anyway I had to adapt and so I tried to stick with manufacturers that, if they weren't full-on boutique, at least they had the real-deal sounds and good cred. I think that's mostly what I've put together today. I don't think there's a bad pedal in the bunch. And most of it is stereo so it's ready for my inevitable two-amp rig.

Regarding the HoF2 I had never heard the "shimmer" style reverb before. I just wanted a solid, clean pedal that would give me stereo in & outs and some amount of control over the pre-delay (in this pedal's case, not much: just "short" or "long.") Between seeing/hearing the MASH demonstrated and hearing that "shimmer" reverb with its ethereal trails I had to have it. I'll mostly just use it for basic rooms and halls to keep the crunch sound from being totally dry, and to add some ambience to clean stuff.

To expand on my last edit last night: before I went to bed last night I gathered all the cables I needed and put all those modulation/delay effects (except the Dunlop Trem, that can wait) in the effects loop of the head. Send > MDV-3 'Vibe > Corona Chorus > EVH phase 90 > Flashback delay > Return. I used the -10dB setting on the loop because I honestly couldn't remember if all those pedals would be ok at +4dB. Does anyone know? Should I try +4dB, is that safe?
The OCD v4 sits in front of the amp's input and the amp eats it right up.

One fortunate thing I can say is that I had initiated a return in case the horrible noises my new phase 90 were making were due to a defect. Sitting in the effects loop the HT-5 it's behaving as expected. It's very quiet and even a little subtle compared to what I was expecting. So it's staying here.

...and today I received almost everything else I had ordered this week:

On the left is 30' of cable and connectors to make two 15' effects send/return cables. To the right of that are the JJ ECC83s pre-amp tube and EH 12BH7 power-amp tube for the HT-5 head. Not sure about messing with that power section just yet. And then there's the tc HoF2 pedal with some cheap HOSA connector cables the seller threw in for free.

All that's missing is the tc 9V power supply for the HoF2. I had to order it from another seller and they were slow to get it to USPS, so I won't get that until Monday. I do have some new 9V batteries and there's a universal wall-wart in my bag I can use in the meantime, to check it out. It'll go at the end of the FX chain after the delay.

I've got to try some other guitars with this head. Play with the EQ and ISF features more. It may be a little generic, but it gets me right in the zone when I plug into it, and I think it looks great (after I polished up the knobs and buffed out some scuffs and generally dug the dust out of the corners with Q-tips.)

Made an appointment with a nice local amp tech to see the Blues Jr. next month, we'll see what she needs.

Almost forgot the picture!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

Some dude probably just paid ten times as much to make his brand new SG look exactly the same way. How much of a pain was the price tag sticker?

(I hope you're planning to play incredibly loud stoner metal riffs with that thing, it looks exactly the part.)

The tag on the body came off with a teeny spot of adhesive left. That rubbed off with my thumb. The one on the neck left about 3/4 of the adhesive. Rubbed with a paper towel, which took about half that off, then a bit of WD40 got the rest. It's the only spot on the neck that isn't sticky and smelling of cigarette smoke now.

So far it's been very poorly played AC/DC. I'm dealing with wrist and shoulder issues, plus I'm a lovely player who never practices.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I slapped the old mysterious I'm told it's Jackson neck on the japanese DKMGT body (which turns out to not have any cracks in the contour and that was just a weird image).

I'm not 100% sure it's gonna do action properly but it seems to do that whole intonation business well enough, so I'll probably scope out the wiring cavity situation tomorrow and maybe throw in the GFS vintage extra hots I have lying around tomorrow if it passes, then string it up fully and see about action and intonation the whole way. If it passes that then I'll destring it and give the whole fretboard a real good cleaning and call it done.

Pictures are being taken but will happen at the end because it's a project guitar!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Who the heck takes out a T top to put in a Dimarzio anything, much less a Distortion?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

rio posted:

Who the heck takes out a T top to put in a Dimarzio anything, much less a Distortion?

I'd think it was done back when it was just a lovely 70's SG with a broken heel joint. Now it's a "vintage" lovely 70's SG with a repaired heel joint.

It was a pretty common swap in the late 70s/early 80s, and it was done to far more valuable guitars. Somewhere out there is an old guitar shop with a bucket of PAFs that were replaced with Dimarzios.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can report: It's lovely. It's perfect for just adding a nice room or hall as you expect, there are some cool toneprints for plate reverbs, and the tone knob is useful for helping making it stand out or lay back. The Church gets massive as advertised.

I haven't tried the mod reverb yet.

The shimmer reverb is more of an effect, but I can confirm that it's a fun sound that people could probably tire of quickly (if they haven't already.) It's still very nicely done, especially when you pump up the level with MASH at the ending of a phrase/fade-out.

The MASH feature is surprisingly good. I've tried it with my fingers, my bare toes, my heel, and with a shoe on. It's designed to require quite a bit of pressure to max out the travel, so only my foot in a shoe or my bare heel was enough to easily get the full effect. It's especially cool that you can hook it up to your PC and use the editor to assign it to a different parameter, or multiple parameters, and see how the button works in real time on a graph.

I see they've already added MASH to a Flashback delay, too. I expect it's going just about everything. If it's durable and doesn't break down I think it's safe to say it's a "good thing™."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I suspect but cannot prove that Shimmerverb got huge because christians thought it sounded like god sucking their dilz and churches and praise & worship bands are the single largest group of music gear consumers. They buy A LOT. At retail prices.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Actually it's me. I'm the shimmer boy.

The HoF2 sounds killer. I kinda want one. I'm still not totally sure selling my original HoF was a good idea. The church setting got a lot of use.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My favorite reverb is a small-medium amount of spring reverb

I'm either a reverb baby or a reverb curmudgeon and I don't know which

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I suspect but cannot prove that Shimmerverb got huge because christians thought it sounded like god sucking their dilz and churches and praise & worship bands are the single largest group of music gear consumers. They buy A LOT. At retail prices.
The Lord does not give you what you want. The Lord gives you what you need.

Footsteps.jpg

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I literally can't play without at least one delay and reverb on at any time. Gross. Get outta here dry tones.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My biggest gear mistake was selling my holy grail (I had to make rent, it is what it is)

Upgrades I want to make to my chain (in no particular order):

get a reverb to fill the gaping reverb-shaped hole in my heart

get a chorus to replace or stack on top of my electric mistress

get something ridiculous like a POG2 or an ocean machine (see above)

maybe trade in my carbon copy for something that doesn't self-oscillate at the drop of a hat

tube amp

maybe a neck humbucker in my tele?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just as I ordered a new guitar some guy nearby lists an Ocean Machine for £175. However he listed about £2000 worth of pedals (all boxed and 'like new') and a Les Paul within a matter of hours on Facebook so it seems suss as gently caress to me.

I aim to have an Ocean Machine by the end of the year though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Shugojin posted:

My favorite reverb is a small-medium amount of spring reverb

I'm either a reverb baby or a reverb curmudgeon and I don't know which

Plate all the way, get outta town bluesdad.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Speaking of reverbs, does anyone have any suggestions on getting that squishy surf sound using VSTs? Amplitube has a bunch of spring reverbs that ought to be up to the task but I can't seem to dial in a setting that hits the sweet spot between "regular ol reverb" and "self-oscillating noisefuck".
I know the correct answer is "buy an actual spring reverb already you cheapskate" but I don't wanna.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Speaking of reverbs, does anyone have any suggestions on getting that squishy surf sound using VSTs? Amplitube has a bunch of spring reverbs that ought to be up to the task but I can't seem to dial in a setting that hits the sweet spot between "regular ol reverb" and "self-oscillating noisefuck".
I know the correct answer is "buy an actual spring reverb already you cheapskate" but I don't wanna.

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=sr
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/reverbs/psp_springbox1/
http://aegeanmusic.com/spirit-reverb

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Anime Reference posted:

Not too long ago, Fractal Audio put their reverb algorithms into a VST.
I've never used this particular VST but I have an Axe-Fx 2 and love the reverb in it to death though.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/fas-fx-reverb.php

Just looked up the price, it's $80. Not sure how that compares to other VST's price-wise but there you go.

Here's some audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN9GuCYqkdQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh06bQJh1Jk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWiuVukkDo

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 25, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I managed to dramatically improve the results I was getting out of Amplitube by fiddling with the amp settings a bit. Turns out having the volume at 5 is high enough to gently caress up the reverb even though it's not noticeably distorting the guitar.
Thanks for the suggestions though, it would probably be a good idea to have a separate one just for versatility's sake. Kinda silly to plug a pretend drum machine into a pretend Deluxe Reverb.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

I managed to dramatically improve the results I was getting out of Amplitube by fiddling with the amp settings a bit. Turns out having the volume at 5 is high enough to gently caress up the reverb even though it's not noticeably distorting the guitar.
Thanks for the suggestions though, it would probably be a good idea to have a separate one just for versatility's sake. Kinda silly to plug a pretend drum machine into a pretend Deluxe Reverb.

Yea I had to discover that dialing in the right gain on the input of your interface is pretty crucial to how Amplitube sounds. Or did you mean the volume on the modeled amp?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea I had to discover that dialing in the right gain on the input of your interface is pretty crucial to how Amplitube sounds. Or did you mean the volume on the modeled amp?

Amp volume in this particular instance, although getting the input volume correct is important to a lot of stuff too since it all works together. Thank God they make it easy, instead of the old-fashioned way where you had to go buy a Boss EQ just to not actually use the EQ part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not a new guitar, but bought some parts and finished a project.

Mid 80s Japanese Squier Contemporary that has been in pieces for ~10 years. Body is actually a Fender from the same time period, only difference from the Squier is that it has the micro-tilt hardware. Neck is Squier, and does not have the corresponding little disc for the micro-tilt. Doesn't need it, thankfully. Both body and neck have extra holes from a Fender System One bridge and locking nut. At one point someone drilled it for a standard 6 point, and I happened to have one in my parts that matched the hole spacing. It is a 24.75" scale length, and the neck is a good 1/8" narrower than a standard Japanese Fender from the same time period. The body is also much rounder than a normal Strat.

Because I just wanted it done and out of the way, I picked up cheap switches, pots, and set of $14 humbuckers. Switch was really cheap and lovely plastic and melted the first time I tried to solder on the pickup leads. Again, my parts box came to the rescue, had one from an old Hondo flying V someone El-Kabonged back when I was in college. Pickups have no business sounding like they do for $14, better than the Duncan Designed ones I have in a couple other guitars. Damning with faint praise, maybe.