Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Everything I read about SSE says don't ever, ever clean the skyrim ESMs. Unlike 32 bit, it just causes problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

And was (more) boring and levelling was clunkier. I would've liked Enderal a lot more if they'd just kept Skyrim's mechanics rather than trying to bolt on ones of their own.

I only got to the Ship part of Enderal because it wouldn't let me be a kitty or a lizard.

0/10

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Everything I read about SSE says don't ever, ever clean the skyrim ESMs. Unlike 32 bit, it just causes problems.

Im pretty sure it's because SSEEdit doesn't recognize quite all of the (sub)record types SSE added, and so it just strips them out. I don't really have any proof of this, it just fits the evidence.

Rhjamiz posted:

I only got to the Ship part of Enderal because it wouldn't let me be a kitty or a lizard.

0/10

I would rather have played Enderal with SPERG and/or Ordinator.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Sir Potato posted:

ModOrganizer is coming up with no order or incompatibility warnings or errors, and the only one it is popping up with is saying I have things in my Overwrite folder which I don't entirely understand.

It's the least of your worries, but the simplest to fix. At the very end of your mod list is a line called "overwrite", that's basically MO's temp folder. It's for dynamically created files (like FNIS animation files).

In Windows, make an empty folder in MO's Mods folder called "OvWr" or something. Open MO. OvWr will appear in the mod list as an empty mod. Drag it to the end of your mods next to Overwrite, double-click Overwrite, then drag and drop its contents onto OvWr. The "files in overwrite" alert will go away. Make sure OvWr is checked and at the end of your mod order, and keep it there. Whenever you run a patcher or FNIS, open Overwrite and drag the contents to OvWr... MO will remind you.

Every decent MO guide says "dont leave files in Overwrite, I'm not loving kidding". I'm not sure why, I never had a problem, but it's simple enough to fix so why not.

Now lets get SKSE squared away

Sir Potato posted:

When I search for an SKSE folder, the only one I see it in is under Documents>My Games>Skyrim>SKSE. I don't see anywhere a folder that goes Data>SKSE. But that wouldn't fix the instant quit problem I assume.

Are you sure SKSE is installed? Download skse_1_07_03.7z and dump the contents to your main Skyrim folder. That should put the .exe and .dlls in the main Skyrim directory, and create Skyrim>Data>SKSE.

Now that SKSE is installed...

Sir Potato posted:

I searched further and found a mod called SafetyLoad that was supposed to fix the problem.
Forget Safety Load, it's included in newer crash fix mods, so lets put those to work:

- Download SKSE Plugin Preloader, you'll have to do it manually. Save "D3DX9_42 - Wrapper v3-75795-3.zip" somewhere. Open it in Windows. Drag out "d3dx9_42.dll" and drop it into your Games>Skyrim directory.

- Download Crash Fixes. It fixes a shitzillion crash-causing bugs. Go to the Nexus files page, click "Download With Manager", then let MO install it like any other mod. MO will automatically place SKSE plugins in the proper directory. Put it early in your load order (right after DLC and USLEEP). Its Nexus page says "To use the memory patch, open CrashFixPlugin.ini, find UseOSAllocators=0, change it to UseOSAllocators=1". To do that, double-click on Crash Fixes in the mods list to open an info window and go to the "INI-Files" file tab. You can click on and edit CrashFixPlugin.ini directly from there, the UseOSAllocators entry is right after the first comments. Don't forget to hit the "save" button afterwards.

- Now to run Skyrim, launch "skse_loader.exe" from inside of MO (ALWAYS do EVERYTHING from inside of MO, if possible). Good luck.

If it STILL crashes on load, as a last resort install Load Game CTD Fix. It takes a LOT longer to load a saved game with this running, so be patient and give it a few minutes after the screen goes blank. It solves some CPU issues by essentially loading your save game twice, thus takes a lot longer to start the game.

Even if none of this works, you've narrowed list of possible CTD causes waaaay down

edit: When I say Games>Skyrim, I mean the directory where the actual Skyrim game is, like c:/Games/Skyrim/, not a "/Documents/My Games/Skyrim/" folder. MO doesn't touch that one.

edit2: Anyone installing Skyrim:LE and using Mod Manager should do the above, because you'll want SKSE and the fixes no matter what. "Load Game CTD Fix" is the only optional part.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 9, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Azhais posted:

I cleaned my sse esms and had constant crashes around falkreath, until I reverted the changes

Average Bear posted:

Thanks. Glad I followed my gut instinct on this one.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
There is nothing more satisfying than going into an unarmed killmove animation while an NPC does their "Intimidation failed" dialog.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Average Bear posted:

There is nothing more satisfying than going into an unarmed killmove animation while an NPC does their "Intimidation failed" dialog.

I feel that needs to be a dialogue option that's always available.

'Thanks I'll be on my way', 'Tell me more about the Jarl of Falkreath', 'CHOKESLAM'

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

<GLASS HIM>

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really, REALLY want there to be a high-speed training montage for the Greybeard teaching-you-how-to-shout bullshit.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

docbeard posted:

I really, REALLY want there to be a high-speed training montage for the Greybeard teaching-you-how-to-shout bullshit.
Set to Stan Bush' The Touch?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Raygereio posted:

Set to Stan Bush' The Touch?

Bill Conti's "Going the Distance" and "the Final Bell" (a/k/a The Other Iconic Song(s) from Rocky).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 10, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man In Motion (St. Elmo's Fire)

:colbert:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Journey - Love Will Find You

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

docbeard posted:

What, you don't like the "Dragonborn gets blown by three old men" ending to the questline?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Syd Midnight posted:

It's the least of your worries, but the simplest to fix. At the very end of your mod list is a line called "overwrite", that's basically MO's temp folder. It's for dynamically created files (like FNIS animation files).

In Windows, make an empty folder in MO's Mods folder called "OvWr" or something. Open MO. OvWr will appear in the mod list as an empty mod. Drag it to the end of your mods next to Overwrite, double-click Overwrite, then drag and drop its contents onto OvWr. The "files in overwrite" alert will go away. Make sure OvWr is checked and at the end of your mod order, and keep it there. Whenever you run a patcher or FNIS, open Overwrite and drag the contents to OvWr... MO will remind you.

Every decent MO guide says "dont leave files in Overwrite, I'm not loving kidding". I'm not sure why, I never had a problem, but it's simple enough to fix so why not.

Now lets get SKSE squared away

Are you sure SKSE is installed? Download skse_1_07_03.7z and dump the contents to your main Skyrim folder. That should put the .exe and .dlls in the main Skyrim directory, and create Skyrim>Data>SKSE.

Now that SKSE is installed...

Forget Safety Load, it's included in newer crash fix mods, so lets put those to work:

- Download SKSE Plugin Preloader, you'll have to do it manually. Save "D3DX9_42 - Wrapper v3-75795-3.zip" somewhere. Open it in Windows. Drag out "d3dx9_42.dll" and drop it into your Games>Skyrim directory.

- Download Crash Fixes. It fixes a shitzillion crash-causing bugs. Go to the Nexus files page, click "Download With Manager", then let MO install it like any other mod. MO will automatically place SKSE plugins in the proper directory. Put it early in your load order (right after DLC and USLEEP). Its Nexus page says "To use the memory patch, open CrashFixPlugin.ini, find UseOSAllocators=0, change it to UseOSAllocators=1". To do that, double-click on Crash Fixes in the mods list to open an info window and go to the "INI-Files" file tab. You can click on and edit CrashFixPlugin.ini directly from there, the UseOSAllocators entry is right after the first comments. Don't forget to hit the "save" button afterwards.

- Now to run Skyrim, launch "skse_loader.exe" from inside of MO (ALWAYS do EVERYTHING from inside of MO, if possible). Good luck.

If it STILL crashes on load, as a last resort install Load Game CTD Fix. It takes a LOT longer to load a saved game with this running, so be patient and give it a few minutes after the screen goes blank. It solves some CPU issues by essentially loading your save game twice, thus takes a lot longer to start the game.

Even if none of this works, you've narrowed list of possible CTD causes waaaay down

edit: When I say Games>Skyrim, I mean the directory where the actual Skyrim game is, like c:/Games/Skyrim/, not a "/Documents/My Games/Skyrim/" folder. MO doesn't touch that one.

edit2: Anyone installing Skyrim:LE and using Mod Manager should do the above, because you'll want SKSE and the fixes no matter what. "Load Game CTD Fix" is the only optional part.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate it.

First things first, though, I subscribed to, or downloaded, however it works, SKSE from the Workshop instead of downloading it and installing it through the link you provided (which is what I used to do). Is that what's causing a lot of the confusion from not being able to find the folders? Once I get that squared away I'll go ahead and start on the crash fixes download which I was considering doing anyway, but didn't.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sir Potato posted:

Thanks for this, I really appreciate it.

First things first, though, I subscribed to, or downloaded, however it works, SKSE from the Workshop instead of downloading it and installing it through the link you provided (which is what I used to do). Is that what's causing a lot of the confusion from not being able to find the folders? Once I get that squared away I'll go ahead and start on the crash fixes download which I was considering doing anyway, but didn't.

never use the workshop ever forever

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

never use the workshop ever forever

Fair enough. It's easy enough to use and seemed like a more efficient alternative. That being said, is it a simple enough situation to just uninstall SKSE from my library and then reinstall it using the site given in the OP?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sir Potato posted:

Is that what's causing a lot of the confusion from not being able to find the folders?
No. It doesn't matter whether you'll install SKSE via the workshop, the installer, or install it yourself via copy-pasting some files. All will work fine.
Though for actual mods the Workshop is best avoided. It has problems.

As for your original problem. Installing SKSE doesn't create the \Data\SKSE folder. If that folder doesn't exist and some mod asks you place something in there, you can simply create the SKSE folder under Data.
Edit: Since you're using MO, creating a new subfolder in MO's moddirectory should also work. For example <MO>\SKSE\SKSE\skse.ini

Syd Midnight posted:

MO's main feature is allowing you keep your mod's files separate from each other. If you ignore the overwrite folder, it can eventually become a mess and you will have just moved the problem of "My Data folder has become cluttered with 200 mods and I don't know what's what anymore" to a different folder.

It's not strictly necessary to keep the Overwrite folder clean. Not bothering to do isn't that likely to be an issue. Though if you want to use different mod profiles in MO or want to uninstall a certain mod that has files in Overwrite, you can run into problems. I'd say it's just good practice to sort the files that are being placed there. For example if a mod generates a .ini file the first time you boot the game with it installed, move that .ini files to that mod's folder so you keep all that mod's files in one place.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 11, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Far Grip is the best spell of all time. It really should be included in the base game if for no other reason than rescuing your followers when they get stuck. It's also awesome for grabbing running NPCs or an archer or spellcaster that is annoyingly dodgy. And it's fun to grab and go into kill cam when they arrive. I can't remember which mod it's in. My runner up would be the harvesting spell that collects ingredients around you although you have to be careful because it will steal.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So Last Seed came out in May. Does anyone have thoughts?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frostfall was like... install it for a couple hours, then uninstall. Tedious and didn't add much.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So Last Seed came out in May. Does anyone have thoughts?

Once the full version is released it'll probably be the best "Needs" mod but the prologue version (the one linked) has a pretty big bug where food rots pretty much instantly after a couple of days of having the mod installed due to the way it's handling time internally.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As with most of the survivalist side of Skyrim, I don't think it's really for me (I'm quite content with iNeed) but I'm glad it's there for those who want it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
iNeed is OK, but Last Seed does a few interesting things to make needs management both more interesting, and forgiving.

The big on is a sort of "focus" setup, where your needs will not deteriorate while in dungeons - which helps mitgate the persistent menu surfing that often drags down 'survivalist' playthroughs. Also, I like that food is still a utility, than mere resource sink. Being well fed means better health regeneration/performance. Most people ignore food in vanilla anyway, and iNeed tends to be a little dry in the long run. I find a similar problem with it as I do with New Vegas Hardcore mode - after a while the novelty of eating just isn't there. It just isn't a concern, and becomes a tedious chore. Last Seed may not exactly change that, but the abstraction of improved attributes makes the idea of packing balanced meal(s) for the road is a good idea, along with the notion of not over extending and encouraging the player to make some stops from time to time to refresh.

That it also normalizes things is also a plus, since it helps mitigate the whole idea of pausing the world while you magically transfer food in your pack to your stomach, and instantly cancel the effects of being hungry. Instead, it encourages a little up and down to stretch resources, but similarly avoids use of food as some sort of instant debuff cure, just because the debuff is "hungry".

Unfortunately, it isn't there yet, and hasn't really made any progress, so as much as I like the direction of Last Seed, it just can't replace iNeed at present.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fair points all.

I still like Campfire a lot, probably because you don't have to do it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randaconda posted:

Frostfall was like... install it for a couple hours, then uninstall. Tedious and didn't add much.

Not for me, I loved it. Makes the mountains matter.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

sebmojo posted:

Not for me, I loved it. Makes the mountains matter.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh. It didn't really add any difficulty, just pointless busywork

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sebmojo posted:

Not for me, I loved it. Makes the mountains jumping into water matter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Something I installed is running my video card at 99% and my game freezes after about 15-20 minutes. All the graphic intense stuff got installed early and it was fine, most of the stuff since then has been armors or followers. It really started after I installed Better Cities and Bruma but I uninstalled both of those and it never got better. The only commonality is that I'm always outside. I uninstalled Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE and that seemed to help a little but I'm still freezing up. I uninstalled Real Roads and am about to try again. I've read all the guides to solving this really I'm at the point where I might have delete and reinstall. SSE.

edit; dumping Real Roads actually made a big improvement.

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 17, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm remembering that I totally have Dawnguard and Dragonborn now, and the "mod the gently caress out of Skyrim and maybe play it a bit" itch is coming back to hit me hard. When I did mod the game I used SPERG, but now I'm noticing some insane-looking SPERG-Ordinator combination patch that seems to add a ton of ridiculous perks. They actually look like really fun additions, although I'm wondering how cluttered the perk tree must look with all of them combined. What do you guys think of it? Too gimmicky, or a good addition?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bee posted:

I'm remembering that I totally have Dawnguard and Dragonborn now, and the "mod the gently caress out of Skyrim and maybe play it a bit" itch is coming back to hit me hard. When I did mod the game I used SPERG, but now I'm noticing some insane-looking SPERG-Ordinator combination patch that seems to add a ton of ridiculous perks. They actually look like really fun additions, although I'm wondering how cluttered the perk tree must look with all of them combined. What do you guys think of it? Too gimmicky, or a good addition?

I like it, but I also use Disparity, along with Skytweaks to slow down leveling.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Randaconda posted:

I like it, but I also use Disparity, along with Skytweaks to slow down leveling.

Makes sense. I figured I'd use Imperious for the same thing, but both look quite interesting.

I imagine the Sperg-Ordinator patch makes for a pretty hefty combination. Are there any known incompatibilities with it I'd need to watch out for? I imagine a lot of the loot ones are fine, but I'm a lot less sure about stuff like magic overhauls and Dwemer crafting being fully compatible.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Does anyone know of a mod that lets you take a guards sword when they comment they want you to enchant it and make it enchanted and give it back to them?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bee posted:

Makes sense. I figured I'd use Imperious for the same thing, but both look quite interesting.

I imagine the Sperg-Ordinator patch makes for a pretty hefty combination. Are there any known incompatibilities with it I'd need to watch out for? I imagine a lot of the loot ones are fine, but I'm a lot less sure about stuff like magic overhauls and Dwemer crafting being fully compatible.

I'm running it with Apocalypse and haven't noticed anything bad yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Randaconda posted:

I'm running it with Apocalypse and haven't noticed anything bad yet.

Apocalypse and Ordinator are by the same guy and designed to work together, and there's a SPERG patch for Apocalypse, so the SPERG/Ordinator combo should work also if the guy who made it knows his stuff. I can't imagine someone who would go through the effort of merging Sperg and Ordinator not using Apocalypse in their own game also.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5932/

If you don't use this mod, are you really even playing Skyrim?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Skwirl posted:

Apocalypse and Ordinator are by the same guy and designed to work together, and there's a SPERG patch for Apocalypse, so the SPERG/Ordinator combo should work also if the guy who made it knows his stuff. I can't imagine someone who would go through the effort of merging Sperg and Ordinator not using Apocalypse in their own game also.

Okay, perfect.

I notice The Sperginator is also currently patched up to 7.53, rather than all the way up to Ordinator 9.0. Is there a way to reconcile the two mods through this patch in both of their most up to date versions, or would it be best to just take the 7.53 instead?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Probably not. You would have to go back through and edit all of the relevant perks manually to the 9.0 values, at which point you might as well make the mod yourself from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its been months since I've played. Anything new or interesting to install? Bruma looks interesting.