Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm on a boring as gently caress family vacation and brought Picross 3D for the 3DS with me and I think I played it so much it probably triggered some sort of 'Dromal Schizophrenia for me. I keep seeing picross blocks and puzzles when I close my eyes and even when I dream . Has the Imp Zone played a game so much that it did something for their Mental Health?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

When I was thirteen I went with my friend to spend a week with his dad, and I taught my parents how to play Diablo 2 so they could maintain my Pindlebot while I was gone.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

When I was fifteen I was absent from school a lot, and in one of the science classes the teacher was like "Where's John?" and somebody (I heard) shouted "He's probably playing World of Warcraft!" This teacher emails my guidance counselor going, "Hey, you might want to talk to this kid, I used to be into these types of games, they're bad news, highly addictive." So my guidance counselor brings me in, and he's like a young ex-athlete who all the girls have a crush on, and he goes to me "Are you playing this game?" I say yes. He says how many hours. I hesitate. The real answer is ten, but I don't want him to freak out, so I say: three. He stares at me blankly and then starts blinking and clutching his head and freaking out, and to this day I wonder what it would've done to him if I'd said ten.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 14, 2017

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

The weeks of Lumines after the PSP launch gave me the Tetris effect pretty intensely, but spending a year reading about car parts after playing Gran Turismo 2 and 3 was definitely the weirdest

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir John Feelgood posted:

When I was thirteen I went with my friend to spend a week with his dad, and I taught my parents how to play Diablo 2 so they could maintain my Pindlebot while I was gone.

When I was fifteen I was absent from school a lot, and in one of the science classes the teacher was like "Where's John?" and somebody (I heard) shouted "He's probably playing World of Warcraft!" This teacher emails my guidance counselor going, "Hey, you might want to talk to his kid, I used to be into these types of games, they're bad news, highly addictive." So my guidance counselor brings me in, and he's like a young ex-athlete who all the girls have a crush on, and he goes to me "Are you playing this game?" I say yes. He says how many hours. I hesitate. The real answer is ten, but I don't want him to freak out, so I say: three. He stares at me blankly and then starts blinking and clutching his head and freaking out, and to this day I wonder what it would've done to him if I'd said ten.

Powerful gamer feels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I was fifteen I was absent from school a lot, and in one of the science classes the teacher was like "Where's John?" and somebody (I heard) shouted "He's probably playing World of Warcraft!" This teacher emails my guidance counselor going, "Hey, you might want to talk to his kid, I used to be into these types of games, they're bad news, highly addictive." So my guidance counselor brings me in, and he's like a young ex-athlete who all the girls have a crush on, and he goes to me "Are you playing this game?" I say yes. He says how many hours. I hesitate. The real answer is ten, but I don't want him to freak out, so I say: three. He stares at me blankly and then starts blinking and clutching his head and freaking out, and to this day I wonder what it would've done to him if I'd said ten.

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I play for a long rear end time on a menu-based JRPG I will often hear the cursor moving sound for hours on end while trying to do other things later.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
one time i was playing King's Field 4 with a really bad flu while I was home from work. i had a one of those bad fever dreams that night, which for me usually involves some sort of repetitious task that replays over and over again in my mind, and it feels like i'm in hell. that night it was me going through a bunch of featureless brown hallways at the slow-rear end walking pace of the game, not finding anything, just moving towards an endless black void. it made me physically sick, and i couldn't play KF4 any more after that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

when i ws playing ff14 i had a dream once where i was in a fate party in southern thanalan. didnt even fight anything, just walked over a dune, saw a sandworm, and woke up

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Tribes

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Awesome

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sector_corrector posted:

one time i was playing King's Field 4 with a really bad flu while I was home from work. i had a one of those bad fever dreams that night, which for me usually involves some sort of repetitious task that replays over and over again in my mind, and it feels like i'm in hell. that night it was me going through a bunch of featureless brown hallways at the slow-rear end walking pace of the game, not finding anything, just moving towards an endless black void. it made me physically sick, and i couldn't play KF4 any more after that.

loving's Field 4

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
When I was around 5 years old my grandma kept making me play Nethack because it was funny to watch me lose and get pissed off at the controls. After weeks of being owned by my grandma for making really simple mistakes I got really mad. I went down to the shared computer in the middle of the night, opened up Norton DiskDoctor and slowly, painstakingly deleted everything I could on the hard drive. This included my grandma's art which really pissed her off so she made me play adventure games for an hour a day and wouldn't let me do anything else till I beat it. It was some Zork game where all the videos explaining the plot were broken and I remember breaking into some chick's RV and walking off the lot with her underwear which made me die. I loving hated that game

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
When I was 43 years old I played 24/7 smoke training maps for CSGO for months at a time, maybe put nearly 500 hours in learning how to throw smoke (fake smoke, true smoke, real smoke, and some true flash as well as fake flash) correctly in Dust2, then everyone stopped playing CSGO and I uninstalled CSGO.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This happens to me with nearly every game that I get obsessed with op. It's like gaming everywhere, 24/7

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

klapman posted:

When I was around 5 years old my grandma kept making me play Nethack because it was funny to watch me lose and get pissed off at the controls. After weeks of being owned by my grandma for making really simple mistakes I got really mad. I went down to the shared computer in the middle of the night, opened up Norton DiskDoctor and slowly, painstakingly deleted everything I could on the hard drive. This included my grandma's art which really pissed her off so she made me play adventure games for an hour a day and wouldn't let me do anything else till I beat it. It was some Zork game where all the videos explaining the plot were broken and I remember breaking into some chick's RV and walking off the lot with her underwear which made me die. I loving hated that game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

klapman posted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I'm on a boring as gently caress family vacation and brought Picross 3D for the 3DS with me and I think I played it so much it probably triggered some sort of 'Dromal Schizophrenia for me. I keep seeing picross blocks and puzzles when I close my eyes and even when I dream . Has the Imp Zone played a game so much that it did something for their Mental Health?

3ds games do this to me all the time .. actually when i first bought mine i played for basically 8 hours straight and everything i looked at looked pixellated for about 3 days afterward

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

This happens to me if I play a new game too much and I get the fever dream repetition without the fever. After binging on fire emblem on a plane ride, I had a dream where I spent a lot of time trying to beat a boss but it kept killing one of my characters so I had to restart to save the character, and this dream lasted for what felt like hours with almost no variation. I couldnt even turn on the 3DS the next morning and Ive never played fire emblem again

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

klapman posted:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Runescape basically made me who I am today.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Yup... I can't even count how many people I've killed and robbed in the wilderness.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

dota and overwatch are games that tend to give people mental illness

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

having rune essence mining down to a science ftw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

klapman posted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

When I was fifteen I was absent from school a lot, and in one of the science classes the teacher was like "Where's John?" and somebody (I heard) shouted "He's probably playing World of Warcraft!" This teacher emails my guidance counselor going, "Hey, you might want to talk to this kid, I used to be into these types of games, they're bad news, highly addictive." So my guidance counselor brings me in, and he's like a young ex-athlete who all the girls have a crush on, and he goes to me "Are you playing this game?" I say yes. He says how many hours. I hesitate. The real answer is ten, but I don't want him to freak out, so I say: three. He stares at me blankly and then starts blinking and clutching his head and freaking out, and to this day I wonder what it would've done to him if I'd said ten.

lmao thank you for sharing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Plutonis posted:

That's why I stopped playing Meteos.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

In college I played so much online scrabble I started to have trouble reading words since I would consider the word score of each.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have definitely lost hours straight doing like, the same combo in various fighting game training modes which I eventually snap out of like I was in a trance

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i got sent home from work for being too depressed after i finished nier automata

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dungeon crawl stone soup & Dota 2.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

beat me to it . when i'm feeling especially mentally ill (or, "in the abyss") i'll go through and read that thread from start to finish and i've probably done so like 4 times this year lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718266&perpage=40

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its proably one of the greatest threads of all time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm also going to have to say World of Warcraft because it got to the point around high school where I'd have dreams about going to places I frequented IRL but like, in third person and with WoW graphics/interface/epic Kodo mount/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

klapman posted: