Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it blade tenderized like almost every other cut of meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

bewbies posted:

So I finally got a Costco membership. They have prime whole packer briskets for...$4 a pound.

(spikes football)

Good life choice. I typically get my ribs at Costco.

Reminds me - I should smoke some ribs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
UGGGGGH! I got a text that the Amazon Treasure Truck had 2 fresh-never-frozen 24oz Porterhouses for 30 bucks. It sold out in less than 8 minutes and I missed it.

Mannnnnnnnnnnn....

Now I want to get some porterhouses.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WTF is the Amazon treasure Truck

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Popup sales ran by Amazon.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Local to certain cities, but started in Seattle, natch. Think of a giant ice cream truck for adults. You follow it on twitter or sign up for texts. Every now and again, they go out, park somewhere and text "Sennheiser blah blah blah earphones! <insert really good price>!" You commit to buying it on the Amazon app and then go pick it up while the truck is there.
https://www.geekwire.com/2016/treasure-truck-first-look/

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I don't actively smoke more than the first four hours for most cooks.

Sometimes a finish smoke, or just adding a second protein or veg near the finish.

I think a blend of mesquite with a bit of cherry will do the beef good.

I went ahead and split the point off when I trimmed it up.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

sellouts posted:

Only the cut beef is blade tenderized from what I can tell. None of the whole vac pack stuff is blade tenderized, and I think most of the pork stuff isn't either. Everything at costco that's blade tenderized is marked that way now (and I avoid it like the plague). In theory I could sous vide it at pasteurization time/temps and it'd be fine, but why bother since I can just buy an entire prime grade ribeye roast or whatever and cut it myself.

My local butcher is going to get me some 3-4 bone beef plate ribs in the next few weeks when he gets another pack in. Super excited. After my apartment banned grills & smokers a year and a half ago I finally bought a house and can get the WSM going.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

sellouts posted:

Doubtful. Plus the whole packers are usually USDA Prime. He made a good choice.

I'm conflicted because I wanted to smoke this weekend and my only open day is Saturday and we told friends the next thing we would smoke would be ribs and they're invited, but my kids have been a little sick and I don't want they're kid to catch this bug. My wife said we'll just need to do it next week. :sigh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies always makes the right choice

But makes sense about the blade tenderized not affecting cryo'd beef.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I really don't understand how Costco can blade tenderize a piece of rib eye and tell you to cook it to 160f. It's insanity.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Hey what do people use for grill brushes? I have my WSM, so the chrome plated wire racks, and a Weber Spirit propane with the porcelain enamel cast iron.

My brother in law has one of those wire bristle brushes and I constantly see wires stuck to the grates just like they warn people about the danger of eating them. I had one that was almost like a dish scrubby but it got disgusting instantly. I would think that a stainless steel welding brush with the bigger/stiffer bristles would be ideal, but the ones I saw at home depot had a warning printed right on them not to use on grills, so I guess they're coated in something nasty.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

Hey what do people use for grill brushes? I have my WSM, so the chrome plated wire racks, and a Weber Spirit propane with the porcelain enamel cast iron.

My brother in law has one of those wire bristle brushes and I constantly see wires stuck to the grates just like they warn people about the danger of eating them. I had one that was almost like a dish scrubby but it got disgusting instantly. I would think that a stainless steel welding brush with the bigger/stiffer bristles would be ideal, but the ones I saw at home depot had a warning printed right on them not to use on grills, so I guess they're coated in something nasty.

Nylon grill brush *after* the surface has cooled. They don't leave the wire poo poo that'll impale your throat and they're pretty resilient.

Another product I've been playing with is basically a giant piece of untreated wood that is tapered to a point. Looks like a paddle and you run it over the grates. It wears grooves into it so over time it's supposed to get better and cleaning between grates. I'm not sure this one is any good.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

I really don't understand how Costco can blade tenderize a piece of rib eye and tell you to cook it to 160f. It's insanity.

I saw they had the ribeye caps (the outer part of the ribeye, spinalis dorsi) where they were removed form the ribeye and rolled up into a little steak. It's pretty much the most tender piece of meat on the cow.... and they were blade tenderized. I don't even get how that would work, it's so marbled/layered the needles probably just go right thought it without doing anything anyway.

If you were demanding USDA/FDA or whoever legit temps/pasteurization, you'd still be better off cooking to 145 with a normal piece of meat than cooking to 160 with a blade tenderized piece. PLUS... Costco sells pretty darn good meat, there's absolutely no reason to mess with it like that, it's got to be the single dumbest thing they do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Saw that exact cut and had the exact same thought. It's a shame. :hf:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I figured after some people died directly due to the blade tenderizing of already tender meat that they'd stop doing it, but no, they just put labels on it to reduce their liability. Thanks...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'd never heard of this and I'm thoroughly confused.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'd never heard of this and I'm thoroughly confused.

Poking tiny holes into meat makes it more tender. Of course, on more tender cuts that you cook rare to medium rare it's not necessary (and dangerous) but Costco thinks mo' tenda, mo' betta.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

In other news, here's your quarterly reminder that in many cases, Costco's pork ribs have the back membrane removed.

I forgot and started digging around on the back of one of my racks and tore up some meat before I realized the membrane wasn't there. :negative:

That said - making some "Last Meal Ribs" per amazingribs.com. I am excite.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

Poking tiny holes into meat makes it more tender. Of course, on more tender cuts that you cook rare to medium rare it's not necessary (and dangerous) but Costco thinks mo' tenda, mo' betta.

Oh I am aware of the process I had just never heard of it being done to ribeyes and poo poo like that because why the gently caress would you ever do that?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Dick Nipples posted:

In other news, here's your quarterly reminder that in many cases, Costco's pork ribs have the back membrane removed.

I forgot and started digging around on the back of one of my racks and tore up some meat before I realized the membrane wasn't there. :negative:

That said - making some "Last Meal Ribs" per amazingribs.com. I am excite.

Well I pulled the one rack I did off a little early and it turned out great. The bark could have been a little more pronounced but I've got two more racks to do tomorrow and they'll get the full 4 hours - I pulled this one rack off at about 2.75 hours.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dick Nipples posted:

Was this on baby backs? Because I only bought St. Louis there and they always had membranes

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Was this on baby backs? Because I only bought St. Louis there and they always had membranes

This was baby backs in my case. I'm pretty sure I also got a pack of St. Louis a year or so ago that had no membrane. It's tough for me to remember as I typically only buy from Costco when I need to cook in bulk. Otherwise, I go to my local butcher.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Swift Premium or another supplier?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Swift Premium has had the membrane every time I've bought it outside of Costco, so I'd be surprised if they're doing something special just for them. Also, my Costco only rarely has baby backs sadly, hence me buying them from other places.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The first time I tried to make ribs in my smoker, 3 out of 4 of my ribs still had the membrane. All bought from the same supplier... which lead to me pretty much destroying the one that already had the membrane removed.

If I'm too lazy to make my own rub, is there one anyone would recommend purchasable from Amazon?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I love plowboys yardbird rub. I tried the dizzy pig dizzy dust. It had no flavor. I've had other people's pulled pork with the byrons butt rub and it was good. Costco also just had their proprietary rub that only is sold once a year just the other month so I grabbed a few shakers of that. It is tremendously good.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Swift Premium in this case.

I could've sworn the last time I bought Swift it had the membrane though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just bought some swift premium today; they did indeed have the membrane.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Dick Nipples posted:

Well I pulled the one rack I did off a little early and it turned out great. The bark could have been a little more pronounced but I've got two more racks to do tomorrow and they'll get the full 4 hours - I pulled this one rack off at about 2.75 hours.

Just finished up smoking the other two racks today. They turned out considerably better - the extra 1.25 hours made all the difference (I'm not surprised).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those look great. Nice work!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Haven't smoked anything in a while so I half assed a brisket before I went to the bar Sat night. Set the WSM and left. It dropped off overnight and I ended up moving it to the oven after 14 hours and finishing as I didn't want to restoke the WSM. Honestly for the lack of prep and effort I put into this brisket it's just as good as ones I took all kinds of effort trimming and babysitting the vents for.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

my turn in the barrel posted:

Haven't smoked anything in a while so I half assed a brisket before I went to the bar Sat night. Set the WSM and left. It dropped off overnight and I ended up moving it to the oven after 14 hours and finishing as I didn't want to restoke the WSM. Honestly for the lack of prep and effort I put into this brisket it's just as good as ones I took all kinds of effort trimming and babysitting the vents for.

That looks nice. I'd eat it.

I bought a DigiQ before last thanksgiving and that thing has really paid off in consistency. My WSM used to fluctuate in a 50 degree range regardless of the weather being sunny 75 or rainy and 40.

I couldn't reliably leave my smoker for anything longer than a good poo poo or I'd come back and it'd be at 285 instead of 225.

Now I set my poo poo and just read a book or play my Switch.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Dick Nipples posted:

That looks nice. I'd eat it.

I bought a DigiQ before last thanksgiving and that thing has really paid off in consistency. My WSM used to fluctuate in a 50 degree range regardless of the weather being sunny 75 or rainy and 40.

I couldn't reliably leave my smoker for anything longer than a good poo poo or I'd come back and it'd be at 285 instead of 225.

Now I set my poo poo and just read a book or play my Switch.

I am going to be finally getting my WSM out of storage here soon, is the DigiQ the recommended way to go on this cooker? I've got the 22" so she's not exactly cheap to fire up and get going. And living in the PacNW, it's usually cold and raining. Helping even things out and maybe even reducing the amount of fuel needed would be sweet!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

qutius posted:

I am going to be finally getting my WSM out of storage here soon, is the DigiQ the recommended way to go on this cooker? I've got the 22" so she's not exactly cheap to fire up and get going. And living in the PacNW, it's usually cold and raining. Helping even things out and maybe even reducing the amount of fuel needed would be sweet!

TL;DR: Based on my research in the last year, yes - DigiQ is the one to get. There's a competitor (PitMasterIQ) but it didn't review well when I was shopping. I love mine and will probably buy adapters for it for other brands too.

I live in PacNW as well. I've got an 18.5" but in general, when I was doing the research on which "automated blower" to get for a WSM, DigiQ always came up at the top. They've got a cheaper one called the PartyQ but I hear that thing isn't worth much on anything bigger than a Weber Kettle. The only other product I looked at in comparison was the PitmasterIQ but I didn't care for how it was setup and neither did some other folks on a different forum.

Back to the DigiQ - there's a couple different fans you can get. I have the Pit Viper which is the smaller one. If you use the DigiQ site and look at what they recommend for the WSM 22.5", they still prefer a kit with the Pit Viper. The bigger fan, Pit Bull apparently is for whole hog smokers.

https://bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=0&ProductId=0&DeviceModelId=181

Personal anecdotes - it holds temperature perfectly. It will occasionally over shoot when you've had the lid off for a little while. My trick for dealing with that is actually to unplug the DigiQ before I pull the lid so that it doesn't start stoking the poo poo out of the fire. I usually only have to pull the lid when I'm smoking ribs because I have to rotate the racks from lower to higher grate.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I keep considering a controller but they are expensive and I'd rather spend the money in meat and coal.

I first got my WSM last year and as you can see from my posts in this thread I have used it quite a bit.

It's at the point where there is enough poo poo built up that it is pretty stable if you get the vents set correctly.

I put the meat on at 7:30PM and it was at 225F. Came back at 2am and it was at 240F when I took the brisket out to wrap it in butcher paper.

Took it out and put it in the oven around 9:30am because the coals were pretty much burned out and the brisket was only around 180F.

Most stuff will finish sooner than the 12-14 hours my WSM will be stable for and I could always add more coal around hour 10 if I wanted to go longer without the temp dropping.

However, I don't use water in the pan and I have an 18" model that's well seasoned so YMMV.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I keep considering a controller but they are expensive and I'd rather spend the money in meat and coal.

I first got my WSM last year and as you can see from my posts in this thread I have used it quite a bit.

It's at the point where there is enough poo poo built up that it is pretty stable if you get the vents set correctly.

:words:

Ya - I've had mine for about 5 years now and I've had to fight it the whole way. I have a friend that has one that he's gotten stable and he lives not far from me. I don't know what it is about mine or my technique but I was never able to get it stable.

As you said - YMMV. In my case, I finally got something that will sit at 223-228 consistently for 5 hours straight which is what I wanted. In my case, it was worth the $200 I paid at the time.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

Ya - I've had mine for about 5 years now and I've had to fight it the whole way. I have a friend that has one that he's gotten stable and he lives not far from me. I don't know what it is about mine or my technique but I was never able to get it stable.

As you said - YMMV. In my case, I finally got something that will sit at 223-228 consistently for 5 hours straight which is what I wanted. In my case, it was worth the $200 I paid at the time.

I wonder if your WSM is mildly out of round?
http://virtualweberbullet.com/partstrouble.html#middle

After 5 years you'd think it would be well seasoned.

I know mine is now crudded up enough after 1.5 that the lid and center have to be smacked to separate when cold. And it has minimal smoke leaks when running.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I wonder if your WSM is mildly out of round?
http://virtualweberbullet.com/partstrouble.html#middle

After 5 years you'd think it would be well seasoned.

I know mine is now crudded up enough after 1.5 that the lid and center have to be smacked to separate when cold. And it has minimal smoke leaks when running.

Hmm it's possible though I've never noticed any notable gaps or spots where smoke was coming out unexpectedly when I was inspecting it. I had to bend my door a little bit to get it to fit more snugly but that's not altogether unusual.

I'll take another look later in the week - I've gotta smoke some more ribs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Like I said - maybe my technique is just poo poo with the WSM. I've used other WSM's at friend's houses without issue so mine is probably cursed.

EDIT: some notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Some gasket tape and a door upgrade did wonders for my WSM's consistency. This stuff was easy to apply around the rim and the edge of the door.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JO00S04/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mfMKzbASRWSMN