Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Violence is bad" is not mutually exclusive with "punch violent and threatening people". Fight fire with fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pembroke Fuse posted:

People aren't rational automatons, which is the point I was trying to get across. Doing things that will hurt you in the long run is a mainstay of the human species. Realizing that this isn't all "free-will moral responsibility bootstraps" poo poo is part of it. People are basket cases of bad programming, built in biases and social constructs. Pulling them out of that culture and social setting is paramount to getting them to change their minds.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. Absolutely, removing them from their horrible echo Chambers and exposing them to reality is tops, agreed. This kind of poo poo never stands up to the light of day.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Xae posted:

It isn't anxiety though. It is economic entitlement. They feel like they are owed a coushy upper middle class job and lifestyle by virtue of being white and male.

They expected to have the world handed to them and instead they're finding out they have to compete and they can't hack it. So they get pissed at the groups that they have t compete against that their parents and grandparents didn't.

Entitlement is anxiety. It's anxiety over not getting the bad bill of goods that the Capitalist system sold them. Capitalism and patriarchy convinced them they were ubermensch breadwinner samurai sex gods. Then it hosed them over and left them holding the bag for climate change, student debt, a crumbling society and a world in which everything they've been taught doesn't matter. They were sold horseshit and they're handling it in the worst way possible, but it's not just a "hurr durr free-will themselves to make better decisions" situation.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Entitlement is anxiety. It's anxiety over not getting the bad bill of goods that the Capitalist system sold them. Capitalism and patriarchy convinced them they were ubermensch breadwinner samurai sex gods. Then it hosed them over and left them holding the bag for climate change, student debt, a crumbling society and a world in which everything they've been taught doesn't matter. They were sold horseshit and they're handling it in the worst way possible, but it's not just a "hurr durr free-will themselves to make better decisions" situation.

Entitlement can also lead to bad financial decisions such as buying a $60,000 pickup every three years and a $40,000 ski boat and a $300,000 house when you have an unstable source of income which is actually being whittled away by the greater economy. When you have that many overpriced toys it's really easy to lose sleep at night wondering how you're going to make all of their payments. But it's your property because you bought it so by God you deserve to have it! that's entitlement.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hello, I'd like to inform you that there are physical consequences for being an actual real Nazi that is inciting violence, coercion, bullying and murdering. For example, the Nazis we saw in Charlottesville this weekend. See: history

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I'm loving sick of this argument. "All violence is bad" has become the refrain of the idiot. Violence is justified in some cases. Punch all Nazis.
All violence is bad. Suffering is bad. Even the suffering of bad people is suffering.
Sometimes, a violent option will be the least bad option - e.g., when there's a concentration camp to be liberated. But "punching nazis" - even, right now, the handful of actual nazis - is nothing of the sorts. It's bad on every level. E.g., I'm sure it's strongly counter-productive: straight-forwardly playing into their narrative.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

evilweasel posted:

its worth remembering that just because someone is a garbage person doesn't mean their family is:

Hey you got a link to the news story on this.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Forgall posted:

Glad you live in a magical world where nothing goes wrong during protests and nobody does anything stupid.

Most of the people talking about the bad tactics of antifa have no concept of what it means to be in a large group. God help them if they ever are to be blamed for the sins of everyone on a single street. Then again most stupid political opinions relate to an inability to think in large societal structures.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

All violence is bad. Suffering is bad. Even the suffering of bad people is suffering.
Sometimes, a violent option will be the least bad option - e.g., when there's a concentration camp to be liberated. But "punching nazis" - even, right now, the handful of actual nazis - is nothing of the sorts. It's bad on every level. E.g., I'm sure it's strongly counter-productive: straight-forwardly playing into their narrative.

:qq:

God, you're like a parody of a bleeding heart. We waged war to be free of the British, we waged war to end slavery, we waged war to stop the Nazis. "All violence is bad" though :jerkbag:

gently caress you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Please just shut yourself into a bathroom and masturbate like a regular person instead of jacking yourself off here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Hey you got a link to the news story on this.

Whoops:

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/letters/4311880-letter-family-denounces-teffts-racist-rhetoric-and-actions
http://www.inforum.com/news/4311766-local-man-called-out-social-media-after-attending-nationalist-rally-virginia

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

The rights of the people are to feel safe in their homes. By any means necessary.

All who threaten those rights must be stopped with extreme prejudice. Including Nazis.

It's that simple.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peacoffee posted:

Most of the people talking about the bad tactics of antifa have no concept of what it means to be in a large group. God help them if they ever are to be blamed for the sins of everyone on a single street. Then again most stupid political opinions relate to an inability to think in large societal structures.
The G20 videos often show small groups of masked men lighting stuff on fire.

Krispy Kareem posted:

No, I was referring to their efforts before the Virginia march.

I don't mind the ACLU defending unpopular ideas, but I'm pretty sure they draw the line on supporting events that get people killed. Well...reasonably sure. Optimistically certain.
I don't think they "support" any of these "events", including the ones where nobody is killed, but people just peacefully protest against black citizens being allowed to vote or whatever nazis protest about these days. I'm sure they mostly oppose them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Hurr Durr everything is 100% free will is just as dumb as the hurr Durr nothing is their fault bullshit you're peddling. 100% of white male Millenials are not alt-right poo poo heads because people aren't automatons.

Trying to blame "the system" is just making excuses for them to the point where it is bordering on being an apologist for then. They didn't slip, fall and end up at a Nazi rally by accident.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Cingulate posted:

Looks like is turning this Nazi around

https://twitter.com/bakedalaska/status/896913077060255744

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

Nazi's don't get to pull a persecution narrative, we've spent almost a century learning this.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
But seriously gently caress Nazis.

You're going to come into my community and tell my wife and my daughter we should be exterminated because of the color of my skin?

I will loving shoot you on the spot and I will feel zero remorse.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Stopped reading at "...shared my home and hearth with those of all races"

Nah son, just stop. Black people were not a significant part of your racist son's upbringing.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

He may have some trouble looking anywhere.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

"Won't somebody think of the coffee shops?"

Said nobody between 1939-1945.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dejawesp posted:

I thought it was to emphasize the connection between heritage and nation. That your nationality is a matter of your genes and not your residence.

In Europe blood and soil is essentially "I am a member of this nation because my blood is the blood of the nations people"

It's also about excluding people from the national identity even if they became legal citizens or were even born here because their blood is still foreign.

It makes a lot less sense for the US.

:psyduck:

no, in europe "blood and soil" is also a nazi slogan, what the gently caress

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cingulate posted:

What are you even getting at here. Do you have proof that this was explicitly an antifa "thing" instead of some bullshit assholes typically do at protests and riots?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
The idea that Nazis and the Klan won't back down from a fight is complete horseshit that originated with them and them only. In practice, they're suburban white kids and fat rednecks who, when met with the same force, will run away with their tail between their legs.

The messaging of Nazis and the Klan is dependent on whataboutism, and everyone who gives into that messaging is helping the spread of fascism.

"Violence should never be an option" pearl-clutching is a result of leftists with a terrible education on the motivations of non-violent movements. Successful non-violent movements throughout history are not born out of some buddhist philosophy, but out of the fact that they're effective for getting international condemnation of their enemies. There have, in fact, been successful violent responses to far-right bullshit.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 14, 2017

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
If you defend people calling to put my wife and child in ovens because of the color of their skin you are no worse then they are.

Seriously. gently caress you enabler.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cingulate posted:

Nazis will claim to be persecuted literally no matter what you do. You suck their dick and give them money they'll scream "white genocide" because you didn't gargle before you swallowed and only had a fiver. It's not a rational position, and it's sure as poo poo not one taken in good faith.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Entitlement can also lead to bad financial decisions such as buying a $60,000 pickup every three years and a $40,000 ski boat and a $300,000 house when you have an unstable source of income which is actually being whittled away by the greater economy. When you have that many overpriced toys it's really easy to lose sleep at night wondering how you're going to make all of their payments. But it's your property because you bought it so by God you deserve to have it! that's entitlement.

This is very true. People are literally chasing consumerism like an addiction and it's burying them. There is some personal responsibility here, but anyone who thinks that society didn't sell them this loving dream from every corner, TV set, advertisement and pronouncement is fooling themselves. They're on the hook and don't have the political education to see an alternative.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Listen, I subscribe to the belief that tolerance is intolerance of intolerance. As soon as what you have to say amounts to wishing death and destruction on entire minority groups, you've instigated violence and will be met with the same.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Brother, G-20 protesters include A LOT more than Antifa.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Man I clicked that and read some of his tweets and retweets and replies and man I wish he had choked to death on the bear mace.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

:qq:

God, you're like a parody of a bleeding heart. We waged war to be free of the British, we waged war to end slavery, we waged war to stop the Nazis. "All violence is bad" though :jerkbag:

gently caress you.

The American revolution wasn't the most justified thing ever, but yeah

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Brother, G-20 protesters include A LOT more than Antifa.

Seriously. Cingulate, you've fallen for the RWM narrative of "that awful leftist antifa ruined everything!".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Xombie posted:

The idea that Nazis and the Klan won't back down from a fight is complete horseshit that originated with them and them only. In practice, they're suburban white kids and fat rednecks who, when met with force, will run away with their tail between their legs.

The messaging of Nazis and the Klan is dependent on whataboutism, and everyone who gives into that messaging is helping the spread of fascism.

Yes. There has to be some sort of cost to participating in Nazi rallies and promoting Nazism. It can be the chance of someone killing you or hurting you psychically or the chance of being exposed as a Nazi and accepting the financial and social consequences that comes with that. I'm good with all of the above. Nazis need to be made scared.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Nazis will claim to be persecuted literally no matter what you do
Who cares about what Nazis say, they question is who will listen.
Which depends on whose blood is on the pavement.

Pollyanna posted:

What are you even getting at here. Do you have proof that this was explicitly an antifa "thing" instead of some bullshit assholes typically do at protests and riots?
You're right, on further reflection, I have to agree there were probably no true scotsmen present.

So is this motivated by the attack on him, or the murder committed by his people?

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

The rights of the people are to feel safe in their homes. By any means necessary.
... are you defending Stand your Ground laws here or what

Eox posted:

Nazi's don't get to pull a persecution narrative, we've spent almost a century learning this.
Not sure what you mean by "don't get to", but if a leftist had been driving that car and it had run over James Fields, they'd absolutely be controlling the narrative right now. Bannon would be planning restrictions of civil liberties knowing he might stand a chance to pull it through, cats and dogs would mate, Trump's approval might even reach the low 40s.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Xae posted:

That is such bullshit. There were economic downturns and recessions before 2008.

People have seen sold an overly rosey view of what the past is.

And the standard of living today is higher than in the past.

Millenials seemed to have fallen for the 1950s nostalgia harder than anyone else. It is completely warping their views as to what they can expect.

This is nonsense. It's not 1950s nostalgia to recognize that you and everyone you know are in more debt with shittier job prospects than recent generations.

Full time work is vanishing and wages have been stagnant for 30 years while the only means to a better life gets more and more expensive. Yup that's all in their heads. This is the sort of bullshit news outlets and older generations peddle because recognizing the system is in a steady downward spiral requires some recognition of culpability. Better to just blame the millennials than attempt to fix the problem.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mustached Demon posted:

Thankfully it's just Nazis getting punched.

What started the immediate conversation is a journalist getting punched by someone at a protest last night, though I think the consensus is he's a loving idiot who should be punching Nazis instead.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Please do not post corpses.

These are the consequences of not standing up to Nazis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Seriously. Cingulate, you've fallen for the RWM narrative of "that awful leftist antifa ruined everything!".
Please see the second one here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&userid=192152#post475359428

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

TIL every single protest that isn't by Nazis is by Antifa, thanks to this thread.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Stopped reading at "...shared my home and hearth with those of all races"

Nah son, just stop. Black people were not a significant part of your racist son's upbringing.

that's dumb, (a) he is not claiming "Black people were not a significant part of your racist son's upbringing", (b) maybe you should put a bit more effort before diagnosing the reasons this guy became such an unmitigated shithead as being the father's fault (c) since when is exposure to black people an inoculation against racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Xae posted:

Hurr Durr everything is 100% free will is just as dumb as the hurr Durr nothing is their fault bullshit you're peddling. 100% of white male Millenials are not alt-right poo poo heads because people aren't automatons.

Trying to blame "the system" is just making excuses for them to the point where it is bordering on being an apologist for then. They didn't slip, fall and end up at a Nazi rally by accident.

I didn't make an argument for 100% determinism. I recognize that agency exists. However, most of the debate is "stop reaching out to people because that implies victim blaming" and that's not particularly holistic. Please don't misrepresent my argument. I advocated for reaching out to "at risk" white male youth, not card-carrying Nazis. Those guys are done and only deserve punching.

• Locked thread