Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

goose willis posted:

I'm having a little trouble understanding the wording of the Forward Operatives stratagem for Alpha Legion:

What exactly are they saying because I'm looking at this multiple times and I still don't get it

When you would deploy a unit you want to infiltrate, you pay your CP and set them aside. Then once everything is deployed, you then deploy the infil-traitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
OK that makes sense, the wording is kind of silly though, why couldn't they just say "at the beginning of the game" or something like that?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's better to be specific. Is the beginning of the game before or after the seize roll?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Rumors on Faeit say that there's an incoming Steel legion and Ork release. As a guy with a ton of old Steel Legion guys, this makes me very anxious.

I for one am excited to see Orks relegated back to the LOL Random noncompetitive hellhole that GW seems to think they belong.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

*~*EnRaGeD HoNkInG*~*

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

LingcodKilla posted:

Saw the new primaris transport up close and it's ooooook but the stubbers are stupid.

Yeah I didn't put them on mine. Saved some points that way too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

goose willis posted:

OK that makes sense, the wording is kind of silly though, why couldn't they just say "at the beginning of the game" or something like that?

They want to make it clear that the unit is not on the table during the deployment phase, and thus counts against your "only half your army can be deployed in the sky" rule. Its the same as the Raven Guard one.

Note that this is especially powerful becuase it means unlike Deep Strike you get a full turn including movement when they do go.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are there Primaris Grey Knights or do the grey boys not want the big boys yet

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Are there Primaris Grey Knights or do the grey boys not want the big boys yet

Technically in the fluff Grey Knights are some secret CIA, deep state, black ops organization so they haven't been handed anything yet.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

RagnarokAngel posted:

Technically in the fluff Grey Knights are some secret CIA, deep state, black ops organization so they haven't been handed anything yet.

Yeah they have a habit of murdering anyone who sees them operate so they remain secret. Even most space marines don't know they exist.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Also don't they all have to be Psykers?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also don't they all have to be Psykers?

Yeah, the actual fluff reason the GK's don't get Primaris is that there aren't enough Primaris psykers to make it worthwhile.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I have to imagine that'll change soon, assuming that Primaris kits sell like crazy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

panascope posted:

I have to imagine that'll change soon, assuming that Primaris kits sell like crazy.

I don't think enough people play GKs that their presence or absence will make a big dent in Primaris sales either way.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The omophagea doesn't come up much, but in this new book an Alpha Legion soldier eats part of a imperial guardsman's brain mid combat and learns some command codes and the name of his commanding officer. :what:

For my primaris Thousand Sons I'm just saying that, lore wise, there's about 1 highly skilled librarian per 30 soldiers. That's a very high ratio for Astartes and can be easily represented on the battle field. Not all the Thousand Sons were psykers. My army has 1 librarian and a chaplain to keep him in line (Cawl's direction when rebuilding the Thousand Sons).

I've got 3 of the flamer gravis dudes who I'm considering Pyrae cult, minor psykers able to use their pyromancy to get more out of their weapons.

Hope we get some Primaris terminators.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 14, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Re-read how turns work in the core rules. 'Battle round' has a specific definition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah they have a habit of murdering anyone who sees them operate so they remain secret. Even most space marines don't know they exist.

Yeah the Inquisition takes the secrecy of the Grey Knights very seriously.

I mean, isn't the Grey Knights fortress somewhere in the same system as Terra? And nobody knows it even exists? That's some serious blackops.

panascope posted:

It'll change as soon as GW gets around to doing new Grey Knights sculpts lol.

All marines going forward are gonna be bigmars. Its just a question of when they get around to updating things like Grey Knights and Chaos Tacticals.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I want to say it's technically in the Terra system but it's in the warp.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I want to say it's technically in the Terra system but it's in the warp.

The Grey Knights "base of operations"?

It's on Titan, Saturn's moon.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Floppychop posted:

The Grey Knights "base of operations"?

It's on Titan, Saturn's moon.

Right, but didn't it get shifted into the warp for a fair few thousand years? I'd look it up, but GK lore is always so tiresome, outside of the second battle of Armageddon, where it took 100 Knights to temporarily defeat one Primarch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So which chaos legions are getting a codex of fluff and rules outside of black legion? Is it just Death Guard and Thousand Sons?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JBP posted:

So which chaos legions are getting a codex of fluff and rules outside of black legion? Is it just Death Guard and Thousand Sons?

Yep just those 2. For now at least.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are they going to make Crimson Slaughter a thing again

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Milotic posted:

Right, but didn't it get shifted into the warp for a fair few thousand years? I'd look it up, but GK lore is always so tiresome, outside of the second battle of Armageddon, where it took 100 Knights to temporarily defeat one Primarch.

No it just got moved into the warp during the siege on Terra and then came back right after.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

Are they going to make Crimson Slaughter a thing again

They are only listed on one of those summary pages in the codex next to bands like the Red Corsairs and Brazen Beasts so I doubt it.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
You can't even buy half the Chaos side of the Dark Vengeance set so probably not.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Finally.

Funnily enough hes the exact same height as the regular chaplain whose standing on 2 bases.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Finally.

Funnily enough hes the exact same height as the regular chaplain whose standing on 2 bases.

Wow that's really loving good. What parts did you use to make that?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wow that's really loving good. What parts did you use to make that?

Body, right arm and backpack are the dark imperium primaris ancient. Scripture and everything else is bits from the plastic chaplain kit shaved down to fit with a knife, the old ultramarines upgrade kit gave me the icon and the shoulder pad, the pistol is the optional absolver pistol from the primaris apothecary with the apothecarion iconography scraped off and the base is the rock from the chaplain, cabling and ammo from aggressors and an ork skull from the scouts kit.

Never had this many tools last time I was in the hobby so this is by far the most involved conversion I've ever done, cant wait to get him painted up and braining fools.

Rano Pano
Jan 17, 2004

Decided to start some T'' 'a'' '' 'u!
Always liked the Coldstar Commander but he seemed lovely in 7th. To contrast my gaming group's affinity for Manly Armies I'm going for a pink/white/black paint scheme, with lots of weathering. The commander has an inverted scheme though. Is the pose too goofy? I think it looks cool but I've stared at it too much.

I know he only carries one big burst cannon but the stats are the same as two small.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Rano Pano posted:

Always liked the Coldstar Commander but he seemed lovely in 7th. To contrast my gaming group's affinity for Manly Armies I'm going for a pink/white/black paint scheme, with lots of weathering. The commander has an inverted scheme though. Is the pose too goofy? I think it looks cool but I've stared at it too much.

I know he only carries one big burst cannon but the stats are the same as two small.

Looks cool, pose will mostly be dependent on the rest of his bodyguards being posed in a way that takes it into account I think.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Finally.

This turned out so, so good. Chaplain bros represent!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Rano Pano posted:

I think it looks cool but...

Done. :v: I too think it looks cool. The paint is amazing, and those burst cannons look awesome too.

John Woo option: get the doves bit from the Celestine model for added drama.

Edit: My favorite part about modeling up my Tau was posing them. I made my Emperor's Children army pink not only because it makes sense and looks cool, but my flgs also has a bunch of beefman smashbro armies. As I was painting them, people were like "...pink? :raise: okaaaay" which confirmed my decision was the correct one.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 14, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So now that I'm getting to play soonish, I realize a difficulty.

I'm like two decades behind, what do goonhams use for carrying armies these days? My old solution of 'some cardboard boxes and recycled computer case packing' seems really lovely now that I have actual disposable income.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Personally I used GW's cases because I'm a dirty GW shill but the market's never had more options for carry cases. I've heard a lot of good things about KR, even if the idea of cardboard cases fills me anxieties.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as somebody who listens to a number of 40k podcasts and is only now realizing how effective their sponsor advertising is- I hear KR Multicase is pretty good. I don't own one myself but I sure hear a lot about how good they are.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

Rano Pano posted:

Oh hey it's White Glint from armored core (I like it)

~Wh'ite G'lint~

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I own a bunch of them (kr multicase) with custom foam for my poo poo. Works really well, I've never had a broken part or chipped paint (except 1 assault marine completely incapable of keeping his jump pack on). The only real downside I see to them is that they're fairly bulky and if you have a lot of vehicles they take up a ton of space, but that's probably true for anyones cases.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I have a kr cardboard box I got with an eBay lot, and it is great. Really sturdy even without the outer case. The foam is nice too. Lots of give for those point bits, and it isn't porous enough they get caught in it.

Just don't store metal models in a full width tray. It is soft and will totally droop and be hard to maneuver out of the case. Plastic is fine though.

I really need to pick up a full case from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I swear by KR. The card cases are where it's at. They're as durable as they need to be and they can slot into like ten million different types of bags and things to carry around in - I have a double backpack which I use for work as well as gaming, and one of the big three-case monsters that most my Guard army lives in with its useless Vendettas (at some point I need to rationalise them so I can ever use my Guard without carrying 4 loving cases around). The backpack is so good that when I finally killed it, after abusing the poo poo out of it for 5 years, I immediately replaced it like for like even though I wasn't gaming at the time.

Also their customer service is good and if you send them a list like "I have 30 of these dudes and 20 of these dudes and also 6 tanks and this awkward shaped loving plane" they'll happily help figure out exactly what you need.