Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone know if the gray guncon with the yellow RCA plug will work on a PS2 slim? I'm thinking not, but I could be wrong.

The grey PS1 one should work fine in any PS1 or 2, the orange Guncon 2's require a USB port instead of a PS controller port.

Also the PS1 one works with all 4 Time Crisis games, though you can't play the special modes of TC3.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Hm, is that Gradius 2/Vulcan Venture in the cab on the left? Life Force?

e: it's Salamander/Life Force. Good game, please play

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 13, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Really curious how you do this 'incorrectly"? Just because they are a different color/brand?

The correct Dragon's Lair player buttons have a picture of Dirk the Daring on them. Though apparently looking around, white button versions exist, too.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

What zoom factor are you guys using for Gameboy Interface on Gamecube? Do you prefer the low latency or ultra low latency version? It's an amazing piece of software and Gameboy Player at 480i looks like a blurry mess in comparison.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ofecks posted:

Hm, is that Gradius 2/Vulcan Venture in the cab on the left? Life Force?

e: it's Salamander/Life Force. Good game, please play

Don't listen to this fool. It's loud and annoying and scrolls at a million miles an hour and has aged terribly.

The MSX game sucks too. Only the Famicocm version is good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I just wanna say that M2's PS4 port of Battle Garegga is perfect and I can't recommend it highly enough. More than worth the trouble of getting a Japanese PSN account and a 5000 yen PSN card from Play-Asia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Did they take your kidney after knocking you out, or just your wallet and possessions? :ohdear:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Well uh that's an internet meme I haven't seen in like a decade :stare:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did they take your kidney after knocking you out, or just your wallet and possessions? :ohdear:

It makes me glad to know that the concept of the really sleazy arcade is not yet dead.

Are there tough looking teenagers bumming cigarettes just inside?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Since Chinatown Fair closed/reopened, Next Level Arcade is basically the "New Chinatown Fair" of fighting game community and where you go if you want to get destroyed at fighting games, but my wife and I still stop by Chinatown Fair every year around our wedding anniversary for a few games because we first met there over a game of King of Fighters '99 many years ago. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 14, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Since Chinatown Fair closed/reopened, Next Level Arcade is basically the "New Chinatown Fair" of fighting game community and where you go if you want to get destroyed at fighting games, but my wife and still stop by Chinatown Fair every year around our wedding anniversary for a few games because we first met there over a game of King of Fighters '99 many years ago. :3:

Awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who did she pick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

In Training posted:

Who did she pick.

Whip/King/Leona/Xiangfei, I was Andy/Blue Mary/Maxima/Clark.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

UnhandledException posted:

You think TGM multiplayer modes are better than Battle Gaiden's? Did you hit up GameFAQs on how to play before you came to this conclusion?

Good lord, no. TGM's battle games are fairly bad, but at least they're fair. Shared queue games like Tetris Battle Gaiden, Bombliss, Magical Tetris Challenge etc. are awful.

dishwasherlove posted:

What zoom factor are you guys using for Gameboy Interface on Gamecube? Do you prefer the low latency or ultra low latency version? It's an amazing piece of software and Gameboy Player at 480i looks like a blurry mess in comparison.

I just use LL. ULL sort of works but my capture device really doesn't like it and it creates a very strange shimmering effect on a CRT.

Also re: romhack chat, make sure to check out Extra Mario Bros.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Playing some Sonic in anticipation of Mania. Unpopular opinion time: I don't like Sonic 3. The music is great, but that's about it. The levels are too long and the bosses aren't fun. (Screw you electric drill thing with a spinning top in the carnival zone.)

Im currently waiting for my timer hit 10:00 and kill me because I clipped into the floor and can't move.

Sonic 2 > Blue Sphere > 1 > Advance > Knuckles > 3

Edit: I did like marble gardens, though. Beautiful area, loved the terrain manipulation.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

RZA Encryption posted:

Playing some Sonic in anticipation of Mania. Unpopular opinion time: I don't like Sonic 3. The music is great, but that's about it. The levels are too long and the bosses aren't fun. (Screw you electric drill thing with a spinning top in the carnival zone.)

Im currently waiting for my timer hit 10:00 and kill me because I clipped into the floor and can't move.

Sonic 2 > Blue Sphere > 1 > Advance > Knuckles > 3

Edit: I did like marble gardens, though. Beautiful area, loved the terrain manipulation.

Sonic 2 was pretty perfect IMO. I think Sonic 3 had too much going on. Sonic 2 was just right.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I think Sonic CD is my favorite, partly because of how weird it is. The level design often isn't that great (screw you, Wacky Workbench), but the overall aesthetic (and Japanese soundtrack!) is just :swoon:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you think Sonic 3&K had too much going on then you may not like Mania, it's an even busier games and at least as long, if not longer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I thought Sonic 3's (and S3&K's) levels were a bit too much until I took into consideration that it's the first game in the series with saving and level select features. Sonic 1 and 2 have to be marathoned if you want to beat them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Simpsons arcade game on an LCD? I can do that at home

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:chloe:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm more of the opinion that 3&K >= CD > 2 > 1 (with the first Advance either slotting in somewhere between 2 and 1 or just below 1 - hard for me to be sure). I love all the new things they added to the core gameplay, makes the whole thing one of the deepest platformers around. The levels are admittedly long your first few playthroughs (took me a while to get good enough at Carnival Night 2 to clear it within ten minutes, even knowing about how to handle The Barrel™), but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm more of the opinion that 3&K >= CD > 2 > 1
this is reasonable and all but please use words

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rdbbb posted:

this is reasonable and all but please use words

no, those who speak not the language of Sonic in the Time of Mania must be banished forever to the dark lands of no chuckling

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Have we considered the possibility that Sonic 2 is the only good one?

Well, Sonic 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog, of course.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm the monster that only really enjoys Sonic Adventure 2.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am not a big Sonic guy but I loved the original one on the Dreamcast

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Have we considered the possibility that Sonic 2 is the only good one?
Yes.

And then immediately discounted it, because nah

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Shadow Hog posted:

Yes.

And then immediately discounted it, because nah

nobody trusts the opinion of someone called "shadow hog" in a discussion on sanic fyi

we all know you're an edgelord with bad taste it's ok :ssh:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

More like a guy who came up with his name at 13 when Adventure 2 was new, and didn't bother to change it since then because people already knew him by it (and also :effort:), but sure

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BigRed0427 posted:

So right now. I'm gonna attempt to build a arcade stick to play NeoGeo games on, using the Raspberry Pi. I just ordered all the parts I need for it. Let's hope I don't gently caress up.

So speaking of this, the other day I was browsing for sticks on ebay, because I still lust after the various Micomsoft sticks. I'm going to have a friend of mine make me a knockoff of one of them, so in advance of him building me the box I ordered the hardware off ebay.

All of it got here, and he's still working on plans for the box, and I was feeling impatient, and in the mood to play Neo Geo games.

... so this happened. It's using one of those cheap zero delay USB encoders, a Sanwa JLF, some cheap buttons, and a cards against humanity shipping box. It works remarkably well, except the buttons are WAY too stiff. Gotta put different springs in 'em, and wire up the LEDs inside them so it's pretty.

When he builds me the fancy stick I'm probably going to go with some nicer Sanwa buttons, but I like having a set of cheapie buttons I can just throw into random things.

e. Also I cannot stress enough how much better it is to play Neo Geo games on a stick like this than a gamepad. I was doing so much better at Blazing Star than I normally do.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

RZA Encryption posted:

Playing some Sonic in anticipation of Mania. Unpopular opinion time: I don't like Sonic 3. The music is great, but that's about it.

Sonic music chat. I absolutely love the way music for Sonic 1 works with the IVmaj7-iiim7-iim7-Imaj7 progressions.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sonic 3 was expensive when it came out, and really short. I remember getting it, beating it in a weekend, and being pissed. Sonic 2 and 1 were also short, but we had gotten those as pack-ins or something so it didn't feel as much of a rip-off. Paying upward of $50 for the less than 4 hours of Sonic 3 sucked. It's really hard to find info on what the launch prices of Genesis and SNES games were, I just remember them being all over the place, from $40 to $100.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am not a big Sonic guy but I loved the original one on the Dreamcast

Usually I think you're a good poster™. One of the best, even, but I will fight you if you don't get Sonic Mania and find out what you're missing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Baron Snow posted:

I'm the monster that only really enjoys Sonic Adventure 2.

SA2 is the only 3D Sonic I've enjoyed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Have you noticed that the machine's control buttons are labeled like an arcade stick for a 360 yet?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Look what i found digging through my boxes of retrogame stuff. I was just contemplating buying one of these.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Look what i found digging through my boxes of retrogame stuff. I was just contemplating buying one of these.

Ughh I had one of those. Luckily I also had a hori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Konsek posted:

Sonic music chat. I absolutely love the way music for Sonic 1 works with the IVmaj7-iiim7-iim7-Imaj7 progressions.

Are you this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Xw8YAtGpI

• Locked thread