Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Hahahhaha that can't be real... Can it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been invited back for a final round interview for a full stack developer position. First round was a phone screen, second round was a whiteboard problem and then discussion of my past projects, thoughts on flask/Django, front end frameworks, and some other stuff with two Junior devs. They said the next interview will be even more technical. I think it's going to be 3 interviewers across 3 hours. I'm not really sure what could be more technical than what I already discussed? Thoughts? Perhaps it'll just be more similar questions to my second round.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

huhu posted:

I've been invited back for a final round interview for a full stack developer position. First round was a phone screen, second round was a whiteboard problem and then discussion of my past projects, thoughts on flask/Django, front end frameworks, and some other stuff with two Junior devs. They said the next interview will be even more technical. I think it's going to be 3 interviewers across 3 hours. I'm not really sure what could be more technical than what I already discussed? Thoughts? Perhaps it'll just be more similar questions to my second round.

I'd expect at least one of the interviewers to give you a system design problem. I.E. they'll describe a page, a component, or a simple app and ask you to sketch out how you'd implement the front and/or back ends. It's a good way to learn a candidate's thought process and it always takes a full hour, since you can always add more detail and they can always ask about hypothetical constraints.

The "System Design" section here has a couple of examples, though they're more mid-level.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you do get asked a system design question, don't do what the one guy did when I last sat in on an interview. We showed him an answered Experts Exchange question and asked how he would go about writing the system that showed that page. We left it vague so he could go into the data structures a Q&A forum would need or go into the HTML rendering framework he would use.

His first act was to start reading the question out loud and wondering to himself what the answer was. We said, multiple times, "Don't worry about the content of the question; just look at the structure," but we eventually also had to point out that the question had already been answered and just tell us what the database would look like. (I didn't want my coworker to provide that much direction, but whatever. At least we'd get something out of the guy, right?)

The guy noticed that the question was tagged with things like "Windows" and "SQL" and started talking about how the database table would need a "Windows" table and an "SQL" table. Somebody said, "What about questions that aren't about Windows?" and he got really confused.

We all agreed we'd have to pass, so my boss called him and broke the bad news in a voicemail. The guy called back to complain that the interview was unfair.

So yeah, don't do that.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

When I was preparing for my systems design interviews I found this site helpful
https://www.hiredintech.com/system-design/

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

When I was preparing for my systems design interviews I found this site helpful
https://www.hiredintech.com/system-design/

Thanks, I have that a read through.

How important is scalability in the grand scheme of things? The company I'd be working for tries to analyze trends in big data and is high traffic and I don't really have experience with that since the two companies I've worked for had very small user bases. Perhaps not too important if I've made it this far.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

huhu posted:

Thanks, I have that a read through.

How important is scalability in the grand scheme of things? The company I'd be working for tries to analyze trends in big data and is high traffic and I don't really have experience with that since the two companies I've worked for had very small user bases. Perhaps not too important if I've made it this far.

We have some scalability stuff and we usually ask candidates about their experience with problems like that. Not having worked with that before doesn't disqualify otherwise good candidates but it's obviously better that they can at least talk about the concepts.

Being aware of some of the standard approaches (like you'll get in that link) and conveying your interest in how it's done in the real world is probably plenty.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Not sure what would be the right thread to ask this, but where do I go learning a bit more about SEO? Nothing major, I just want my personal website to show up a bit higher in the rankings when you search my name. Right now I'm competing with a yoga teacher and a realtor, would be nice to have a bit more visibility when I start applying to jobs and hiring managers google my name. I've read the moz SEO guide and tried applying what I've learned from there which definitely gave me a boost, but I could still use some more work.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
If you want people to look at your website when you apply, send them a link to your website.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Most efficient and most lazy solution! That's what we programmers do :eng101:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Lol if you think the average employer is going to spend more than 30 seconds on your website. They're not going to search you. Furthermore, in my opinion, SEO is interesting to learn about but not a thing you want on your resume.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You're not going to get an employer by getting your portfolio up the search rankings. Employers aren't just sitting around typing "i need an employee who can do x, y, and z" into Google.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

huhu posted:

Lol if you think the average employer is going to spend more than 30 seconds on your website. They're not going to search you. Furthermore, in my opinion, SEO is interesting to learn about but not a thing you want on your resume.

As an anecdote to illustrate this I usually spend 10 minutes prepping for giving an interview by looking at their resume, their LinkedIn, and doing a quick Google search. That's about the extent of it. I don't really care if you have a portfolio website.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

As an anecdote to illustrate this I usually spend 10 minutes prepping for giving an interview by looking at their resume, their LinkedIn, and doing a quick Google search. That's about the extent of it. I don't really care if you have a portfolio website.

I will say, I have discussed my website in several interviews but that's only because it's the third thing on my resume after my name and GitHub.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Blinkz0rz posted:

You're missing out on some easy rejections. Check out my portfolio: slow-loading, ugly page that barfs a stack-trace into the console once every second.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should remove my website from my resume/LinkedIn. An unmaintained and out of date site is worse than none at all.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Add an "under construction" gif. Problem solved!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Make your website just the dancing baby gif. I'd interview the person who puts that on their resume.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

huhu posted:

I will say, I have discussed my website in several interviews but that's only because it's the third thing on my resume after my name and GitHub.

I have had it run the gamut -- people who haven't even looked at my resume, to people who were quoting my cover letter at me.

I think having a website with some interesting visualizations helped me out some, because I was able to whip it out in interviews if we finished questions early and show them some (ostensibly) neat stuff.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Just buy some very specifically targeted AdWords space

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Blinkz0rz posted:

I was asking mainly for this purpose, to make it a little easier when someone is doing some sifting for something to show up that's related to me and not some other dude. Sounds like it's not very important though, especially if any relevant links are already in the resume.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Aren't portfolios a huge part of what a self taught person would want to have when they are getting a job?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

InevitableCheese posted:

Aren't portfolios a huge part of what a self taught person would want to have when they are getting a job?

They're easily the best way to offset a lack of job experience and formal education. But consensus in this thread seems to be that they become rapidly less important once you've had a good couple years of jr dev experience.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I made the mistake of turning my mostly static site into a Wordpress Blog.....which I haven't blogged on in about a year.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

The Fool posted:

They're easily the best way to offset a lack of job experience and formal education. But consensus in this thread seems to be that they become rapidly less important once you've had a good couple years of jr dev experience.

Getting that first step in is a challenge though. I'm currently papering Chicago with my resume for anything junior dev related, have two promising leads and a shitload of rejections.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm a self taught dev and my portfolio of projects is literally the only thing that got me a job so I'd say its pretty important if you don't have other experience.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I created my portfolio when I got laid off so I'd have something to show, in case anybody asked. It also gave me a handy excuse when interviewers asked what I'd been doing with my months of unemployment. I don't know if anybody actually looked at it, though!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I ditched my portfolio/website after my first job, cause I wasn't actively developing anything on my off-hours and really had nothing useful/worthwhile there. If it's not regularly updated and expanded, it's not worth making, IMO.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

PokeJoe posted:

I'm a self taught dev and my portfolio of projects is literally the only thing that got me a job so I'd say its pretty important if you don't have other experience.

What sort of projects did you have?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

I was in the same boat and my portfolio consists of various versions of my portfolio I've made with increasingly challenging tech, a few (terrible) websites I built for non profits, and I like to do stuff with Arduino in my free time so projects related to that.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mniot posted:

You're missing out on some easy rejections. Check out my portfolio: slow-loading, ugly page that barfs a stack-trace into the console once every second.

Not that it's always a case but there are usually pretty obvious tells that the candidate is going to be poor. If I'm doing an interview they've already passed a phone screen with a recruiter and our hiring manager so they're at least ~ok~ enough.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah this should be the key takeaway. On the list of things interviewers are looking for, portfolio is definitely below experience and education. If you don't have any of the latter two, then having the former becomes significantly more important.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Mniot posted:

Are you able to say more? You were going to your boss to say "make me manager and let me rearrange everything or I quit", right? Since you're leaving I guess they said no, but I'd be interested in hearing how much they were willing to change or just what sort of reception you got.

Sorry for the super late reply. The sequence of events were:

1) I'm dissatisfied with how work is going
2) I approach a competitor that once approached me and I turned them down because it meant an interstate move that I wasn't prepared for
3) They offered me a job
4) I resign my current job and accept the offer
5) My current workplace at the time says they were planning on making me manager of the team
6) I decide to hear them out
7) Offer is ridiculous, less pay to manage the whole team than my new job offers just to be a dev
8) I tell him to stick it

I've been in the new job three weeks now and it's excellent, I'm loving it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

InevitableCheese posted:

I had about 10 apps that were up for download in the play store and one of them had made me a few hundred bucks from a trickle of sales over the years. I had some others in progress as well. They were a mix of normal apps and games I had made.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

God I need a new project to work on. I'm so bored lately

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Are games pretty viable for a portfolio or are they considered "unprofessional"?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

InevitableCheese posted:

Are games pretty viable for a portfolio or are they considered "unprofessional"?

I think they're fine but it totally depends on what positions you're seeking as to whether or not they're going to help all that much. And it could depend upon your audience (the interviewer/hiring manager/whoever). If you can explain what building the game would help with the position you're applying for, it's hard to argue against I would say.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grump posted:

God I need a new project to work on. I'm so bored lately

Write u a compiler :sun:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

InevitableCheese posted:

Viable. It's just another field of programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Write u a compiler :sun:

I was thinking about making an app that gives you programming project ideas based on some input

Just because i'm really bad at coming up with project ideas