Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want to watch Jim Sterling eat his fedora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I'm looking at reviews and feeling real good right now. Feels like only the professional cynics are going to dislike this one.

Unlocks on PSN in 6 hours for me. Come onnnnn

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No details, because I'm not gonna be the guy who spoils things, but reviews are starting to roll in and they are very good indeed.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/hatenaman1999/status/896729450041180160

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:negative:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So is Mania gonna unlock at midnight? I'm gonna play this poo poo out of it tonight if it is.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Augus posted:

jim sterling posted a video review but it got hosed up in rendering, here's the blurb on his website tho

he'd better include a formal apology for liking Sonic 4 :colbert:

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55421vTLzfc

he can in fact enjoy both if he so chooses to.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Detective No. 27 posted:

Same, he's such a weirdo lol

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's less that he liked Sonic 4 and more that he wrote a poo poo smear of an article childlishly attacking people who disagreed with his assesment.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

No he can't

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Anyone else excited for Mania tomorrow j/w

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kurieg posted:

So the reason to do the Blue Spheres stages has started to circle around the internet.

and a "& Knuckles" mode that appends an AI controlled Knuckles to whoever you're playing as, Even Knuckles.

this game is so fuckin good :allears:

btw I'm hyped as gently caress that Lava Reef Zone got in

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hearing that you can make an Australian eShop account if you want to play mania right now

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mr Phillby posted:

It's less that he liked Sonic 4 and more that he wrote a poo poo smear of an article childlishly attacking people who disagreed with his assesment.

Also during that same time he poo-poo'd Sonic Colors which I feel only compounded the issue for some.

Like there's a lot of people who liked Colors and hated Sonic 4, as well a good amount of people who liked/disliked both titles.

But liking Sonic 4 while calling Sonic Colors the "soulless mediocrity" and then goading people with that distinction with an article or two is a very...unique viewpoint.

By the way, the lowest scoring Sonic Mania review I've seen so far (6) is by the same guy from Slant Magazine who gave BOTW a 6, who I immediately remember not necessarily because of that score, but because during the discourse surrounding his review someone asked him "Are you like the Armond White of video games?" and he took it as a compliment. He said Armond White was a huge inspiration to him as a media critic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
sanic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TFRazorsaw posted:

nope
also he said that Sonic Mania deserves the title Sonic 4 more than Sonic 4 did

Detective No. 27 posted:

he doesn't wear a fedora he wears a tophat

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sterling's shtick is weird but I do like that he's generally a very extremely pro-consumer voice.

Evil Eagle posted:

Hearing that you can make an Australian eShop account if you want to play mania right now

big if true.

Is there any limitations if you buys stuff on switch with with different eshop accounts or w/e?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

beep by grandpa posted:

Anyone else excited for Mania tomorrow j/w

Hell yeah brother

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was in the thick of the outrage over Sterling's views back in the day and I disagreed with him vocally back in the day. But eh, it doesn't seem as big a deal years later.

That article he wrote was a bit stupid, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Good news: Mania unlocks at 11:00PM so I can play it before I go to bed
Bad News: Mania unlocks at 11:00 PM and it's currently 12:30.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TFRazorsaw posted:

I was in the thick of the outrage over Sterling's views back in the day and I disagreed with him vocally back in the day. But eh, it doesn't seem as big a deal years later.

That article he wrote was a bit stupid, though.

for real tho that was like 7 years ago and he's gone through a lot of personal and professional changes since then

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Augus posted:

for real tho that was like 7 years ago and he's gone through a lot of personal and professional changes since then

This. People seem to carry a permanent hate-on for Jim Sterling and it's usually always for poo poo he wrote nearly a decade ago. I'm a totally different person now than I was that long ago, it's reasonable to assume most people change quite a bit in that amount of time.

I used to hate/be annoyed/disgusted by Jim Sterling too, but I got over it and I like the guy now.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I like that his theme song literally says "born different, i look like a blob. Im not like you!"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I mean he can't be all THAT different given that I just watched a video he made retracting an apparent temper tantrum he threw at Hellblade. At least he's retracting!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kurieg posted:

Good news: Mania unlocks at 11:00PM so I can play it before I go to bed
Bad News: Mania unlocks at 11:00 PM and it's currently 12:30.

So it unlocks at midnight EST tonight then? Sorry, not sure what time zone you're referencing. If I can play it at 11:00 CST Im totally down to buy it the second it releases.

Basically, when does this unlock for US folks? I'm on switch if it matters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wendell posted:

I mean he can't be all THAT different given that I just watched a video he made retracting an apparent temper tantrum he threw at Hellblade. At least he's retracting!

getting mad at a game because it literally broke on you is pretty understandable tbqh
it's kinda the publisher's fault for having a lovely day 1 embargo up that forced people to rush their reviews, otherwise he could've just contacted the publisher and gotten the problem hotfixed and nothing would've come of it

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 14, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't know who Jim Sterling is or what Freedom Planet is but I'm just super excited for Sonic Mania you guys :)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Stardust Speedway boss fight owns

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I noticed the gaudy coral looking place in the launch trailer. Is there going to be a entire underwater stage? what the heck

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mania is right there in my Steam list.

With no install button.

:eng99:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I don't always agree with him but I respect Jim Stirling for being a truly independent critic and an actual journalist which is loving rare for Videogames.

Also I unironically love his long running Bogglin focused news show, Bogglin Watch.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Also when does the NA Switch version drop? honestly tempted to order some American nintendo dollars so I don't have to wait for the EU store to update tomorrow.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So it unlocks at midnight EST tonight then? Sorry, not sure what time zone you're referencing. If I can play it at 11:00 CST Im totally down to buy it the second it releases.

Basically, when does this unlock for US folks? I'm on switch if it matters.

PS4 Unlock is 11 CDT. I'm getting conflicting information saying that, for switch, it will either unlock tonight at 11PM or tomorrow at 11AM.

Mr Phillby posted:

Also when does the NA Switch version drop? honestly tempted to order some American nintendo dollars so I don't have to wait for the EU store to update tomorrow.

that would be 5AM or 5PM for you.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 14, 2017

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Frankston posted:

I don't know who Jim Sterling is or what Freedom Planet is but I'm just super excited for Sonic Mania you guys :)

Play Freedom Planet.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

This. People seem to carry a permanent hate-on for Jim Sterling and it's usually always for poo poo he wrote nearly a decade ago. I'm a totally different person now than I was that long ago, it's reasonable to assume most people change quite a bit in that amount of time.

I used to hate/be annoyed/disgusted by Jim Sterling too, but I got over it and I like the guy now.

His style and appearance is still bottom of the bin garbage though

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
He dresses like some kind of dictator or serial killer or something, really what in the world is up with that guy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nerdbot posted:

I forgot that Sonic 3's competition mode stages can be played alone in a Time Attack mode and I have encountered these incredibly hosed up Real Elephants for the first time in years

when i was six i would play time attack mode just so i could be knuckles

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

He dresses like some kind of dictator or serial killer or something, really what in the world is up with that guy

it's a joke

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Augus posted:

it's a joke

Someone should tell Jim that jokes are supposed to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

he's fat