Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They came so close to doing this but went with the wrong one of Koei's Three Kingdoms settings.

It'd be pretty fuckin dope though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
In a PokeMusou game, would you be playing as trainers who toss out Pokemon for their combos, or as the Pokemon themselves?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SaitoBatch posted:

In a PokeMusou game, would you be playing as trainers who toss out Pokemon for their combos, or as the Pokemon themselves?

Pokemon themselves I reckon

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SaitoBatch posted:

Both.

You ride them, is what I'm saying. Every enemy commander is a trainer riding a Pokemon. Foot soldiers are smaller Pokemon.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Only problem with that is a lot of pokemon are disappointingly small compared to an adult.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Golux posted:

Only problem with that is a lot of pokemon are disappointingly small compared to an adult.

Not if you use the anime rules. Then Charizard can be as big as you need it to be. :getin:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Golux posted:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They came so close to doing this but went with the wrong one of Koei's Three Kingdoms settings.
Honestly, Conquest was more Samurai Warriors than Nobunaga's Ambition, aesthetically (the characters' designs were just straight-up their SW incarnations).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pokemon Conquest would've been more fun if the entire story wasn't just the prologue, and the actual capturing of pokemon and difficulty was the "post-game."

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
It's the birds which have no wings that make me wonder.

Or do they all have help like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZRRfvLxG4

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Golux posted:

It's kinda surreal how tall or short some characters/pokémon are

It's easy to forget Ash Ketchum is only 4'10" or so, what with being a ten year old boy, so he looks microscopic
beside some adults (for example, in the Manaphy movie, Ash barely comes up to Jack Walker's waistline, and then you've got people like Lt. Surge:

Then you've got the likes of Type: Null, which at first glance seems maybe the size of a large dog before seeing it's 6'03 and is 7'07 once it evolves

'Course, 'Dex sizes may only be averages, so...

Very easy to overlook the size of some pokémon and now I'm mildly curious about Uranium's heights

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Vinylshadow posted:

Yeah, the standard deviation is apparently pretty high.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

Nah that's just the perspective playing tricks on you, clearly that's a normal-sized Jigglypuff as seen from above.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 13, 2017

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Vinylshadow posted:

It's easy to forget Ash Ketchum is only 4'10" or so, what with being a ten year old boy, so he looks microscopic
beside some adults (for example, in the Manaphy movie, Ash barely comes up to Jack Walker's waistline, and then you've got people like Lt. Surge:

To be fair, that man is a giant.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Stroth posted:

To be fair, that man is a giant.

Indeed, if that perspective is real Lt. Surge is like seven feet tall.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Omnicrom posted:

uh if ash is 4'10", then surge is almost 10 feet :psyduck:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He's the Lightning American. What do you expect?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The difference between American and Kanto feet.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I figured Ash was more like 3'10" than 4'10."

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Average height of a ten-year-old boy is ~4'7", not 4'10".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Scarodactyl posted:

This is common enough in the anime that Bulbapedia even has an article about it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Omnicrom posted:

Closer to ten feet tall. And just another part of his incredibly racist character.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Vinylshadow posted:

It's kinda surreal how tall or short some characters/pokémon are

Then you've got the likes of Type: Null, which at first glance seems maybe the size of a large dog before seeing it's 6'03 and is 7'07 once it evolves

Very easy to overlook the size of some pokémon and now I'm mildly curious about Uranium's heights

Dex numbers for size and especially weight are about as valid as claims like Larvitar eating mountains or Grimer being created from X-rays from the Moon in my mind. It doesn't help that it doesn't differentiate between height and length.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, the Anime is very wildly inconsistent about character sizes, and generally ignore weight, so kids are carrying around Larvitars that are suppose to be hundreds of pounds.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Maybe humans in the Pokemon world are just swole as gently caress.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
did they ever explain why we can put pokemon in computers

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Haifisch posted:

Maybe humans in the Pokemon world are just swole as gently caress.
One potential answer (obliquely supported by the Sinnoh games) is that humans and pokémon used to be indistinguishable from one another

That explains why we have Psychics and Aura users

Tired Moritz posted:

As the mandatory homeless fat man living in the player character's hometown always says: "Technology is amazing!"

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Probably the same technology that allows working teleporters.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tired Moritz posted:

Because Bill is a loving terrifying mad scientist with no concept of "ethics" or "responsible experimentation".

See: the time he accidentally turned himself into a half human monstrosity and needed the help of a random eleven year old child to fix it. Also that the pokemon he merged with never appeared after they were separated, forcing us to conclude that it died in some horrible way.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He'd fused with a Kabuto, it was a glorified bug anyway. Nothing of value was lost.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
It's nice that there are ways official pokemon can compete with the horror of uranium.

Also, Haifisch I need you to explain your avatar to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vorebane posted:

It's nice that there are ways official pokemon can compete with the horror of uranium.

Also, Haifisch I need you to explain your avatar to me.

this is igor, a character from the persona series

the characters in that avatar are the cast of persona 5 but with his face. the title is from the battle theme, last surprise

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Robindaybird posted:

Yea, the Anime is very wildly inconsistent about character sizes, and generally ignore weight, so kids are carrying around Larvitars that are suppose to be hundreds of pounds.

On their heads too!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This should sum it up nicely

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This should sum it up nicely

This is amazing. It's also reminded me that I should really finish SuMo one of these days...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tired Moritz posted:

In the first anime season, Ash and Gary were sending all their Pokémon to Oak's house, since he apparently had enough land to support at least one massive herd of Tauros.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tired Moritz posted:

Not 100%. The games talk vaguely about the PCs being the pokemon storage service because apparently whatever it is about pokemon that lets you put them in a little ball in flagrant defiance to the laws of conservation of mass also lets you store and transfer them electronically. Viewed from that lens it makes a weird amount of sense that Porygon exists.

In the anime pokemon could be transferred around, but ones that were in storage were cared for someplace. For Ash it was Professor Oak's lab, and they showed he could basically summon them from any Pokemon center with a network connection.

Schubalts posted:

In the first anime season, Ash and Gary were sending all their Pokémon to Oak's house, since he apparently had enough land to support at least one massive herd of Tauros.

A fun bonus fact is that Ash's massive herd of Tauros was explained in one of the episodes that got banned. The Safari Zone episode (reason for banning: people with guns threatening each other) had a gag where Ash would try and throw a Safari ball at a pokemon and a Tauros would run in front of it and get caught instead. This is never explained in the English release, so a while later Ash just has lots and lots of Tauros.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Omnicrom posted:

In the anime pokemon could be transferred around, but ones that were in storage were cared for someplace. For Ash it was Professor Oak's lab, and they showed he could basically summon them from any Pokemon center with a network connection.

Interestingly, that gives Ash an unfair advantage to some degree. I'd guess that most independent trainers wouldn't have the space in their home for more than two or three pokemon in residence, so they wouldn't be able to keep as much of a type and move variety ready.

Not that anyone really uses type advantage properly in the show with any consistency, so it's no big deal.

Then again, perhaps the Daycare acts as the storage for non-sponsored trainers.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Ash still does that.

Also the anime is usually pretty good with Pokemon sizes that feels right. With ONE exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Meanwhile the main games added trainers to the backgrounds so now scaling, which was already wonky in gen 6 probably due to what I assume are game engine reasons, is very out of whack when you have wailords being comparatively tiny or zygarde perfect being about the size of a child and not a gundam.

Hopefully the switch game will go more towards the stadium/PBR style where big boys were b i g b o y s

• Locked thread