Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
A large percentage of the comment responses to all the news about Charlottesville, and Trump's royal pooch-screwing afterwards, has been, "But what about antifa????"

That's where the spin is going to be, and where it will always be. "Oh, but the counter protesters were violent too, after 1000 people armed with clubs and shields and guns and torches came to town to intimidate the populace and chant literal Nazi slogans."

Remember, for fascists, violence isn't a means to an end, violence is the end. They'll cry and moan and say they had to "defend themselves" because they "knew they would be attacked for peacefully protesting" but these fuckers came into town itching for a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

In addition, it was "White House spokepeople" who said Don Cheeto denounced the white nationalists. No audio or video on that, natch.

They were definitely ready for fighting. In a lot of shots there were guys in surplus helmets and body armor.

And who sent out the khakis and polo shirts memo? It's an obvious "We're not just skinheads and rednecks anymore" ploy.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mister Facetious posted:

How do you pronounce "Koch brothers"?

I think you have your answer. :)

Cock brothers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm really disappointed there isn't a man named Kent Fucks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MrUnderbridge posted:

In addition, it was "White House spokepeople" who said Don Cheeto denounced the white nationalists. No audio or video on that, natch.

They were definitely ready for fighting. In a lot of shots there were guys in surplus helmets and body armor.

And who sent out the khakis and polo shirts memo? It's an obvious "We're not just skinheads and rednecks anymore" ploy.

I didn't make the connection that white polo + khakis was Trump's golfing uniform until I saw a side by side. Lol

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Crossposting here and crazy emails thread, since I haven't seen anyone post a straight text transcript of Trump's garbage "address" on Charlottesville. Both sources are from progressive outlets, but both include a straight transcript in their articles.

Bustle & Vox. I'm sincerely not interested in watching any recording of him talking to triple-check it for accuracy, but it's obviously available on video as well.

Donald F-ing Trump, the first modern president to be uncertain about Nazis and Klansmen posted:

Thank you very much. As you know, this was a small press conference, but a very important one. And it was scheduled to talk about the great things that we're doing with the secretary on the veterans administration. And we will talk about that very much so in a little while. But I thought I should put out a comment as to what's going on in Charlottesville. So, again, I want to thank everybody for being here, in particular I want to thank our incredible veterans. And thank you, fellas. Let me shake your hand.

They're great people. Great people. But we're closely following the terrible events unfolding in Charlottesville, Virginia. We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides. It's been going on for a long time in our country. Not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama, this has been going on for a long, long time. It has no place in America. What is vital now is a swift restoration of law and order and the protection of innocent lives. No citizen should ever fear for their safety and security in our society. And no child should ever be afraid to go outside and play or be with their parents and have a good time.

I just got off the phone with the governor of Virginia, Terry McAuliffe, and we agree that the hate and the division must stop, and must stop right now. We have to come together as Americans with love for our nation and true affection-- really, I say this so strongly, true affection for each other. Our country is doing very well in so many ways. We have record -- just absolute record employment. We have unemployment the lowest it's been in almost 17 years. We have companies pouring into our country, Foxconn and car companies and so many others. They're coming back to our country. We're renegotiating trade deals to make them great for our country and great for the American worker.

We have so many incredible things happening in our country, so when I watch Charlottesville, to me it's very, very sad. I want to salute the great work of the state and local police in Virginia. Incredible people. Law enforcement, incredible people. And also the National Guard. They've really been working smart and working hard. They've been doing a terrific job. Federal authorities are also providing tremendous support to the governor. He thanked me for that. And we are here to provide whatever other assistance is needed. We are ready, willing and able. Above all else, we must remember this truth: No matter our color, creed, religion or political party, we are all Americans first. We love our country. We love our god.

We love our flag. We're proud of our country. We're proud of who we are, so we want to get the situation straightened out in Charlottesville, and we want to study it. And we want to see what we're doing wrong as a country where things like this can happen. My administration is restoring the sacred bonds of loyalty between this nation and its citizens, but our citizens must also restore the bonds of trust and loyalty between one another. We must love each other, respect each other and cherish our history and our future together. So important. We have to respect each other. Ideally, we have to love each other.

It does not take a savvy political operator, or even a person of middling overall intelligence and education, to denounce Nazis and Klansmen. It's hard to see him recovering at all, or even bouncing back to even a position of neutral regard.

Even if Gorka and Bannon are exiled soon and his staff manage to trick him into triangulating, Trump's still the president who reacted to overt white supremacist violence with "Golly, looks like all sides of the issue have some explaining to do!"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I had a professor named Fuchs. Pronounced it Fyooks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I dunno man. To me it feels like the floodgates have really opened, poo poo is totally real and entirely happening and all bets are off. Like THIS is the time where everyone says "If I had been in Germany" or "if I had been a slave" only it really is NOW. It's the culmination of 30 years of RWM propaganda and a large segment of society buying into it all.

I'm not going to fault anyone anymore for fighting back however they can.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

Hot take from a friends post about the protests:

.... rear end in a top hat

Edit: the letter he's referring to is the one the president of UF sent out recently, regarding Richard Spencer wanting to speak at UF

"I haven't read the article nor will I"

:lol:

Conservatism.txt.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read the Constitution nor will I.
I haven't read the Amendments to the Constitution nor will I.
I haven't read the Bible nor will I.

That said, here is my considered and insurmountable wisdom based on the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the word of God:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/PantherEyez7/status/896888732221034496

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
Yeah Rush is going with the whole "the liberals wanted this!". I don't know why it's so hard to say that Nazis are bad. Or even not say anything at all.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I can't wait to see how some of these shitheads try to defend the Nazis in Charlottesville.

I'm sure that won't raise my blood pressure at all.

I saw on Twitter someone said "Governor is sending in the DOJ, better lawyer up, liberals"

So there ya go.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeeeaaahhhhh, the Democratic governor is going to have the DOJ investigate the liberals...

For blatant.... ?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LOL Mcauliffe the guy that restored voting rights to a ton of felons is going to go after anti-nazi protesters.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Radish posted:

LOL Mcauliffe the guy that restored voting rights to a ton of felons is going to go after anti-nazi protesters.

Sitting politicians already had that right though?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Homo Depot posted:

Yeah Rush is going with the whole "the liberals wanted this!". I don't know why it's so hard to say that Nazis are bad. Or even not say anything at all.

It's projection and "they work just like we do." Nazis wanted a martyr REAL BAD so they could be right about the left.

But whoops, the left got a victim.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Homo Depot posted:

Gee, who would have guessed? I was gonna tune in today but realized I wouldn't be able to loving take it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://twitter.com/DRUDGE/status/897122634198024193

Of course, Drudge offers no sources, quotes or any specific information, but I wonder if this has something to do with Eric Bolling.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Lester Shy posted:

Of course, Drudge offers no sources, quotes or any specific information, but I wonder if this has something to do with Eric Bolling.

Isn't that the woman who did the totally-not-a-Nazi-salute at the GOP convention? Great timing if so, Drudge.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

now that o'reilly's firing got the ball rolling fox will be an unending parade of right-wing personalities quickly felled by scandal

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hannity's in full defense mode this afternoon, airing clips of Trump denouncing David Duke's endorsement.

EDIT: Also, FOX NEWS has Trump's (2 days late) condemnation speech up on their front page now to let us know everything is cool.

I swear to god, you give this RWM machine 24 hours and they have that loving spin NAILED DOWN.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 14, 2017

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
My home-town right-wing Christian radio talk program - VCY America, if anyone's keeping score - isn't even bothering with denouncing the Nazis at Charlottesville. Like, their position is seriously "These were patriots who love America, and were merely peacefully protesting before the leftists showed up". They do eventually admit "Well, there were maybe some white supremacists, but what about Louis Farrakhan? See, both sides are equally bad!"

It's not exactly the most listened-to right wing media out there, but it's what I grew up with in my podunk Wisconsin home town. VCY stands for "The Voice of Christian Youth", but has a 60-year-old host that appeals purely to old, bitter Freeper types. The radio show has always had racial resentment bubbling under the surface, but usually they just shunted it off onto Muslims. I guess they've another outlet who have dropped all pretenses since Trump got elected.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

VCY America, if anyone's keeping score

Thanks for the heads up on this network, always good to keep ahead on Christian right radio nuttiness from the mid-states. Here just west of the Washington DC area I get AFN Talk, probably just as nutty but not as regional a network.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My boss at the restaurant I am currently bussing for keeps it on FNC. I look up long enough to see Sean saying something about Rev Wright. I could feel my goddamn blood pressure spike.

gently caress this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Rush had possibly the absolute dumbest take on the whole removing Confederate monuments thing.

quote:

RUSH: That last caller was very quick on the uptake there. Okay, Mr. Snerdley is afraid that if I don’t explain this, the Drive-Bys will think that I was advocating that we scrub all African-Americans from American history, which is of course not my point. My point was to illustrate that what the people are protesting for, they would oppose if they got it. They want to take down the Robert E. Lee statues, right? Why? Because it’s a symbol of our horrid, racist, unfair, unequal, despicable past.

“Well, if that’s true, why stop there?” I ask. I mean, there’s a lot more. Robert E. Lee was not the only one of them. There’s all kind of Beauregards down there and any number of guys that have statues that have remembrances and that have been honored as great military people. Even though they were fighting for the Confederacy, they have been honored as brilliant strategists or what have you. They were dedicated to their cause. Gone With the Wind is a book and a movie that is practically a… (sigh) What’s the correct word to use here?

It’s a remembrance of the time we’ve lost. It was a romantic treatment of that era leading to the South’s defeat. Gotta get rid of it. Those people were humanized. Why, those Confederate soldiers, they liked women and they proposed to them! They treated ’em with chivalry. They went dancing with ’em and they had dinner with ’em. You know, and they said, “Yes, ma’am,” all kinds of polite things. You can’t have that portrayed. These people were savages. Gotta get rid of any reminder whatsoever of this horrid aspect in our past.

That’s what they’re advocating here, are they not? Well, if you did that, there wouldn’t be a single Martin Luther King Boulevard in this country. There wouldn’t be a Martin Luther King, if you’re gonna eliminate that aspect of American history. And who would be the first to object if, in the process…? If you don’t stop getting rid of the Robert E. Lee statue but you keep going, the very people demanding to get rid of the Robert E. Lee statues would be the same people standing there saying, “Whoa, you can’t do that! You can’t get of Martin Luther King?”

Well, we gotta get rid of Robert E. Lee. I mean, who came first here in and if you get rid of the guy that came first then anything that came after him didn’t exist, either. We gotta scrub it all. “You can’t! You can’t.” The point is that, once again, the supposed highbrow — the supposed sophisticated, refined — motivations for all of the anger and violence and hatred on the left will not hold up to intellectual scrutiny. Because if you take it to its logical conclusion, at some point in that timeline they’re gonna protest what you’re doing.

Yeah, we’ll get rid of Robert E. Lee. But then if we start going further, at some point they’re gonna draw the line and they won’t permit it. Because there are certain aspects of this history that they cherish and they love, like Dr. King and any number of other associated heroes and heroines from that era. That’s the only point to illustrate that what they’re claiming to be angry about, they actually would oppose if you went all-in on this.

Aha you dumb liberals, if we didn't have slaves then Martin Luther King wouldn't exist, checkmate. :smug: Also you say you want to tear down monuments that glorify the horrible parts of history but want to keep the monuments that glorify the good parts of history? How hypocritical.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rush sounds like he's totally lost it. He's pulling the Back to the Future defense with Confederate monuments?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

Rush sounds like he's totally lost it. He's pulling the Back to the Future defense with Confederate monuments?

i liked that part of his defense of the prewar south was that southern men would dance with ladies and call them ma'am. none of that ever happened up north no sir

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
What surprised me was that despite being full of hate and idiocy, I had always thought Rush was the more level-headed of the RWM radio hosts, staying away from the kind of conspiracy theories that Beck and Hannity love. But nope, Rush was on his program today talking about how George Soros was behind Charlottesville, which really surprised me. He must be losing listeners to dig into the crazy, or maybe he's gone crazy for a while and I only just now noticed.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

boner confessor posted:

i liked that part of his defense of the prewar south was that southern men would dance with ladies and call them ma'am. none of that ever happened up north no sir

also as if that meant anything

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Twelve by Pies posted:

What surprised me was that despite being full of hate and idiocy, I had always thought Rush was the more level-headed of the RWM radio hosts, staying away from the kind of conspiracy theories that Beck and Hannity love. But nope, Rush was on his program today talking about how George Soros was behind Charlottesville, which really surprised me. He must be losing listeners to dig into the crazy, or maybe he's gone crazy for a while and I only just now noticed.

I don't listen to him but just from this thread and other stuff I got the impression that he was against Trump for awhile for all the logical reasons and he was trying to steer his listeners away. Then he just couldn't stop it and Trump became an inevitability and his listeners kept fighting him on it so he just gave in and got a lot dumber to keep his audience. But I could be confusing him with Beck or that guy who sounds like Master Shake.

Or he could just be an old drug addict with a melted brain. And of course he's the same fucker who got kicked off ESPN for being a racist so he's probably got a natural rooting interest in this one.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm surprised I haven't heard the "You know who else was a slave-owning rebel general?" Line and then asked if George Aashington is next. That's my prediction.

George aashington? Really autocorrect is the most leftist antifa of them all.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TildeATH posted:

I'm surprised I haven't heard the "You know who else was a slave-owning rebel general?" Line and then asked if George Aashington is next. That's my prediction.

George aashington? Really autocorrect is the most leftist antifa of them all.

they really don't want to talk about how lee was a failed rebel and a slave owner

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/897272701642883073

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Hagedorn Temperature of hot takes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Moktaro posted:

Sitting politicians already had that right though?

He tried to do a blanket clemency order to which of course Republicans were opposed (they literally were complaining that it would result in too many Democratic votes). It got thrown out by the supreme court so McAuliffe just did it all individually to thousands via digital signing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.f7f02b6a4aed

Yeah THIS guy is really going to buy into the idiotic narrative that the Nazis who came armed with assault rifles and ran people down with a car were the victims here good luck with that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

So ... Snerdley's not a real person, right?

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

So ... Snerdley's not a real person, right?

My understanding is there are many Snerdley's based on who's running his boards/phones that day/week/month/year. It's just a lacky term I think he used. I could be wrong.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, how do I know today is gonna suck worse than usual for RWM bullshit? They've had a couple days now to get their talking points straight and agree on their scapegoats. I tried to subject myself to some of it yesterday for the sake of the thread but my emotions are still too raw and I simply can't stand to listen to it.

I bet Rush's ratings loving skyrocket when crap like this happens because non listeners tune in to see if he'll say something stupid, and that sick, fat gently caress has the nerve to say that "this what leftists want". He LOVES this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, how do I know today is gonna suck worse than usual for RWM bullshit? They've had a couple days now to get their talking points straight and agree on their scapegoats. I tried to subject myself to some of it yesterday for the sake of the thread but my emotions are still too raw and I simply can't stand to listen to it.

I bet Rush's ratings loving skyrocket when crap like this happens because non listeners tune in to see if he'll say something stupid, and that sick, fat gently caress has the nerve to say that "this what leftists want". He LOVES this poo poo.

People too dumb to think up their own false narratives also tune in to get told from the top what to believe as well.