Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What I mean is that I didn't think it would include nearly the entire scene. I'm glad there's a cut and what MrMojok describes sounds excellent. The portrayal of Pennywise is something I really want to see in context, now that I'm satisfied it's going to be great.
There's no cut in the full scene that Omnikin posted, by the way, in case you can't resist spoiling yourself further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
Did I just miss it somehow, or does the clip not have the "we all float" line?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hodgepodge posted:

No, it didn't... which is almost a crime. It better be in the theatrical cut!

joylessdivision posted:

Also I forgot how goofy he looked back when he had the beard and was all coked out. Them cross eyes. I grew up with a clean shaven King so beardy weirdo King always cracks me up.

Its amazing how much better he looks with a beard. Dude has waaaaaay too much real estate bellow his nose, a beard makes him look like a normal human.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did King do a cameo in the Dark Tower movie, by the way? I hope he pops up in this one, that always cracks me up.

Weirdest was in the Stand, where he actually had a minor character part.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Hodgepodge posted:

That comes post-arm-grab in the book, so it might still be in the movie.

EDIT: Well, "they all float" isn't in the book scene. Georgie asks and Pennywise responds just before the arm grab, and then really runs with it after the arm grab. Another trailer has music synched to Georgie screaming "You'll float too!", so at the very least it seems that it comes up when Bill sees Ghost George

clockworx fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 14, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

For me the movie adaptation wasn't good as a King adaptation but as a Kubrick work it was good if that makes sense, so I enjoy it more as a Kubrick film. The miniseries adaptation was a skosh better in some aspects but still suffers from the limitations of being a TV miniseries. I'd love to see a fairly faithful adaptation of The Shining, but which director would be able to pull that off?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jeff Nichols directing, Michael Shannon starring.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Re: Maximum Overdrive

I always saw King's horror work as taking very B-Movie concepts and taking them seriously with fully developed, real characters. So of course he'd make the schlockiest movie ever given the opportunity, it's what he loves.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

dirksteadfast posted:

Re: Maximum Overdrive

I always saw King's horror work as taking very B-Movie concepts and taking them seriously with fully developed, real characters. So of course he'd make the schlockiest movie ever given the opportunity, it's what he loves.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking last night as I watched the trailer. Of course it's a movie about everyday machines murdering people. And there's even a fat guy in the trailer.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

joylessdivision posted:

Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking last night as I watched the trailer. Of course it's a movie about everyday machines murdering people. And there's even a fat guy in the trailer.

Oh, that doesn't even take into account that the score is done by AC/DC.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
AC/DC being canonically in the movie and getting killed early on is amazing. You see the black van with the AC/DC logo on it during the bridge scene and hear a "What the hell?" just as it gets crushed. :3:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If you compare Maximum Overdrive to the inferior Trucks, it only makes Maximum Overdrive more awesome.

Trucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIR8DaeqWA

Maximum Overdrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darko posted:

If you compare Maximum Overdrive to the inferior Trucks, it only makes Maximum Overdrive more awesome.

Trucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIR8DaeqWA

Maximum Overdrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

I always considered Maximum Overdrive to be the prequel to Trucks, but I also either never knew about or forgot there was a movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Trucks is a more straightforward (but somehow worse) adaptation of Stephen King's Trucks, which is also what Maximum Overdrive is based on.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Should I bother with the miniseries? I've seen clips and Tim Curry is excellent, but beyond that, is it worth watching?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oliver Reed posted:

Should I bother with the miniseries? I've seen clips and Tim Curry is excellent, but beyond that, is it worth watching?

It's okay. Like you've noted, it's mostly remembered for Tim Curry, otherwise it's so blatantly a TV movie.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I almost forgot, Maximum Overdrive also features Giancarlo Esposito shouting "YO MAMA" at inanimate objects before being murdered by an arcade machine

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I almost forgot, Maximum Overdrive also features Giancarlo Esposito shouting "YO MAMA" at inanimate objects before being murdered by an arcade machine

My favorite thing about Maximum Overdrive is that there's a scene where a softball little league player gets run over by a steamroller, and the effects guys accidentally overfilled the blood bag on the dummy. The intent was just to get a nice smear of blood on the roller; the result was the dummy of the kid more or less exploding. And King just kind of shrugged his shoulders because gently caress it, don't question a happy accident.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fart City posted:

Oh, that doesn't even take into account that the score is done by AC/DC.

Sweet baby Jesus of course it is.

:vince:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Oliver Reed posted:

I watched it when I was 8 so it has scarred me for life, even though it's aged a lot in some places.

As for watching it now, I suppose that depends on whether you've read the book. If so, give it a watch. If not, you might want to go in blind to the right new movie so you don't know where the story is going.

The old movie is likely to be borderline unwatchable once you've seen the new one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Oliver Reed posted:

I wouldn't recommend it. The kid parts are way better than the adult ones and the adult actors are really bad, which is odd because there's some decent talent on screen there.

Parts of it are good and Curry is incredible but overall I didn't care for it.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Ben isn't fat enough in the original. He's supposed to be the fattest kid in school but he just kinda looks like a pee-wee football player.

Kid in the new movie is a total porker tho

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The movie will always inherently be inferior to the miniseries as it lacks Harry Anderson's killer shop teacher 'stache.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oliver Reed posted:

Eh. Its probably the best of his TV miniseries adaptations, but thats not saying much when you have to compare to awful awful schlock like the stand or the tv the shining, etc. There are some OK scenes, Tim Curry is fantastic, but my god they had to pull back every single punch basically where there would be any horror, violence, gore, or special effects of any kind. It's also shot poorly for the most part, well more that its shot like a 1990 tv miniseries. They never really let pennywise kill any kids, mostly he just shows up and scares/mocks them. Tim Curry really is great though, the look of ecstasy on his face when saying they float down here is priceless, and if I could be granted a wish I'd let Tim Curry play it in a big screen production of this quality.

At the same time I can't not love it, even though I know the only reason I love it is my own nostalgia. I tried to sneak out of bed and see it when it was first airing when I was like 4 or something and my parents were watching it. They taped it off TV and I swear I watched it non stop every weekend, at every sleepover, I have the commercials that aired during it memorized to this day. That stupid TV miniseries was so much a part of me growing up that I'll never separate it out, and it made me read IT as my first real 'adult' book when i was 10. It remains my favorite story to this day that I reread every year or two, all because of that silly TV series so I can't ever really hate it.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Yeah it's showing it's age and as an older person it definitely pulls a lot punches I didn't really notice when I was younger, but the kid stuff is all great and Tim Curry is just absolutely the best.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Stand was a fairly ok TV miniseries adaptation that I would either rank at or just around IT. Just the same, it's a network TV adaption and there's a loving ton of hosed up poo poo from the book that it could've used.

An honest to God Netflix or HBO adaptation that spent time in No Great Loss area, or more time on how the fascist military overreaction to everything made everything worse, would be great.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I saw all of these King mini-series when I was real young. What was the deal with so many Stephen King mini-series on TV back in the 90s? Not that I'm complaining just an interesting thing that isn't really around any more.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I remember a bunch of ABC and NBC miniseries in the '90s that were based on books. Like one about little black rocks that helped aliens invade, or Peter Benchley's Jaws But With Squids.

Summer programming, maybe?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I would kill for a HBO adaptation of The Stand.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

TomViolence posted:

I would kill for a HBO adaptation of The Stand.

gently caress yes.

From what I recall, the existing miniseries is pretty decent for at least half or a little more of the runtime, then really gets too corny for the end. They did well with the casting though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The Stand was a fairly ok TV miniseries adaptation that I would either rank at or just around IT. Just the same, it's a network TV adaption and there's a loving ton of hosed up poo poo from the book that it could've used.

An honest to God Netflix or HBO adaptation that spent time in No Great Loss area, or more time on how the fascist military overreaction to everything made everything worse, would be great.

Should they ever do the big-screen trilogy they talked about, the credits on the first one should just be peppered with "No Great Loss" stingers

Violator
May 15, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

I remember a bunch of ABC and NBC miniseries in the '90s that were based on books. Like one about little black rocks that helped aliens invade, or Peter Benchley's Jaws But With Squids.

I'm a sucker for Peter Benchley's The Beast, I can't help but love ocean monster movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
One thing I think the Mini Series does REALLY well is IT loving with them to build up the fear. I hope the new film does it as well, because the shower scene always gave me the willies growing up. How easy would have been to kill Eddie in that scene, but nope, gonna tenderize the meat with fear.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

el oso posted:

gently caress yes.

From what I recall, the existing miniseries is pretty decent for at least half or a little more of the runtime, then really gets too corny for the end. They did well with the casting though.

I could never get over the guy who played Flagg. Like, the rest of the people were mostly fine, but he just bugged me every time Flagg showed up on screen, he felt just completely awful and out of place. They should have done an HBO series of The Stand, or a trilogy of movies and gotten McConaughey to play that Flagg.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

One thing I think the Mini Series does REALLY well is IT loving with them to build up the fear. I hope the new film does it as well, because the shower scene always gave me the willies growing up. How easy would have been to kill Eddie in that scene, but nope, gonna tenderize the meat with fear.

Those parts were good as adults, but really him scaring them as kids seemed more a result of a 1991 broadcast tv show that couldn't do anything more horrifying because of either self censoring or budget. In the book, he never really plays with them except for the one fantastic time with the scrapbook. Otherwise, if he showed up, he showed up to get a meal, and if I recall the monster itself was even upset that so many children had managed to get away from him lately.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though, its been a couple years since I last read it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LesterGroans posted:

I think yeah, it was just the way TV was back then. It's weird, I don't remember the last time that I saw a movie run during primetime on one of the over the air networks, but I sure as hell remember them happening all the time up until probably around 2000. They probably filmed a bunch of mini-series and made for TV movies instead of mid-season replacements and summer programming, and would just air them as needed.

I do remember that one about the rocks, but they had at least 4 Stephen King adaptations during my middle school years, It, The Tommyknockers, The Stand, and The Langoliers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

Peter Benchley's Jaws But With Squids.

The Beast! I remember being excited about that when I was younger because hey Jaws but with a giant squid. It was so bad, I don't know how the book went but I remember they introduce both the squid and the scientist obsessed with how there's a squid there (and no one believes him) way too early on. Like Jaws works great but this crosses a threshold into a situation where the very definite explanation that this giant squid is destroying people/boats is the only possibility but the characters all think they're in a murder mystery til like more than halfway through it.

I remember the really rough later 90s/early 00s wave of Stephen King made for TV adaptations too. Storm of the Century, Rose Red, Trucks (why would you even make this when Maximum Overdrive is flawless?) and another attempt at Carrie (unrelated to the original or The Rage: Carrie 2).

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Tom Guycot posted:

Those parts were good as adults, but really him scaring them as kids seemed more a result of a 1991 broadcast tv show that couldn't do anything more horrifying because of either self censoring or budget. In the book, he never really plays with them except for the one fantastic time with the scrapbook. Otherwise, if he showed up, he showed up to get a meal, and if I recall the monster itself was even upset that so many children had managed to get away from him lately.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though, its been a couple years since I last read it.

You're pretty spot-on, besides maybe Bev? The whole blood blowing out of the sink thing w/ abusive dad a room away isn't really a time for Pennywise to kill/eat her. Just some sinister poo poo. Otherwise yeah. Giant bird, mummy, leper, Stan at the water tower- It was definitely out for meat

edit - though I'm like 60% through the section where they return to Derry and he pops in just to say "Hi I'm gonna kill ya!" and it's one of my favorite bits in the whole book.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The Beast!

I think I actually read the book and it was terrible. Didn't the squid have the ability to walk on dry land and sort of stalk the town like Jack the Ripper?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

el oso posted:

gently caress yes.

I think one of the main things The Stand had going for it was the sheer number of popular/well-known and well-remembered actors stuffed into it. Yeah, it got reeeeeeeal corny by the end, but the first two episodes of it scared the heck out of me, especially stuff like Larry wandering through NYC yelling for anyone else that might still be alive or Stu escaping quarantine in the hospital once everything went to poo poo.

Though one of the most glaring 'this is prime time television things' was when the Judge (Ossie Davis) got into the shootout with Flagg's scouts when he was on his way to LV. I think I brought this up in a GBS thread, apologies if it was in this thread, but instead of simply implying the Judge had his face blown away, Ossie Davis just cups his hands in front of his face after getting shot.

A redone miniseries could be cool, as long as they still left out some of the 'King's obligatory weird sex stuff' like 'Trash gets sodomized with a pistol'.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'd say The Stand and the IT miniseries are about on the same level. Parts of both were really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The Stand has a loving crazy stacked cast, especially for it's time. Plus it gave a lot of love to too-often underutilized character actors like Matt Frewer and Miguel Ferrer. But the book is so expansive in scope, a miniseries still almost feels too small. A full series on premium cable would be amazing.

• Locked thread