Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

getting reallll tired of ironworks armor though

any good glamors for a level 55 warrior??

52 Crafted tanking set is pretty good casual gear, so long as you hide the helm. The helm is pretty doofy.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Tyty posted:

What does the Warrior quest gear look like? The Dragoon wyrm gear everything with ironworks chest ended up looking pretty cool to me, but they match color schemes.

Looks like this:

The upgraded set:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

They changed it so that the 4th part of dragoon combos aren't random anymore so it would be a complete non issue.

Even if you're violently opposed to the idea of one-button combos they could just make it an option and let you fill your hotbars with useless garbage if you really want.

I am all for it being an option. I'd never use it, but I see no harm in letting the people who want to bore themselves to death mashing the 1 key 5 times in a row as dragoon do so.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Not to mention that with chests in the 61-69 dungeons it's not impossible to get 10 drops plus the guaranteed item you get at the end in one run.

No it's not mathematically impossible but implying that people shouldn't be wearing poo poo gear because there is the near-zero chance to get all your gear in one run is ridiculous. There are close to 80 items per dungeon and you can get duplicate drops from different chests, good luck!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Still ignoring that context plays into rotations that automation can't predict and then busting out a solid paragraph later on to try convince yourself you're right :thunk:
:wink:

I'm not in for automation, though, that would be a pretty boring thing. I'm saying that more isn't necessarily better and that you can have an engaging dynamic even after some more pruning.

Context playing into rotations in a way that automation can't predict is what makes decision making interesting when adapting your rotation from boss to boss, I'm sure you can agree with that.

Xarbala posted:

The idea that you need more than a few buttons to have engaging gameplay continues to reinforce how weird your typical mmo is.

Yeah, the creep can get really weird. After macros you could have anywhere from 70 to 100+ keybinds during WotLK if you did PVP. The PVP changes they did in Stormblood were a pleasant surprise.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My main worry is that some jobs will benefit a lot more than others from having PVP-style combos but they've already done a lot of major changes to both PVE and PVP so if/when it comes to be, they'll probably adjust and change things so nobody is left too far behind.

Except MCHs.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

orcane posted:

No it's not mathematically impossible but implying that people shouldn't be wearing poo poo gear because there is the near-zero chance to get all your gear in one run is ridiculous. There are close to 80 items per dungeon and you can get duplicate drops from different chests, good luck!

I don't think they were saying you do one run and get out with all your gear, dude

I'm pretty sure it was just an example to illustrate that leveling dungeons make it rain with gear. People shouldn't be in poo poo gear all the time anyways if they're leveling through dungeons unless they're somehow the unluckiest turd ever

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Krabboss posted:

the game should absolutely have a parser built in tbqh. also permanent bans for underperformers.

this but unironically. Maybe then I'd do a party finder because the population would finally have a pulse.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Erg posted:

I don't think they were saying you do one run and get out with all your gear, dude

I'm pretty sure it was just an example to illustrate that leveling dungeons make it rain with gear. People shouldn't be in poo poo gear all the time anyways if they're leveling through dungeons unless they're somehow the unluckiest turd ever

Yeah, well, when all of the drops are SAM, healer, and DRG gear as I'm leveling my PLD I'm not going to waste a bunch of money on the market board to fill in gear gaps on the bad luck chance that I get the highest level dungeon available for ldr(which actually happened quite a bit, but still). It wasn't until Doma that I had any real luck with drops, replacing 5 slots of old gear with upgraded stuff in 2 runs, and then after that only 1 additional left side piece got upgraded(chest piece from first run of the FF6 magitek research facility place) prior to 70. Yes, I was probably a bitch to heal, but I wasn't going to waste money fixing that.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, well, when all of the drops are SAM, healer, and DRG gear as I'm leveling my PLD I'm not going to waste a bunch of money on the market board to fill in gear gaps on the bad luck chance that I get the highest level dungeon available for ldr(which actually happened quite a bit, but still). It wasn't until Doma that I had any real luck with drops, replacing 5 slots of old gear with upgraded stuff in 2 runs, and then after that only 1 additional left side piece got upgraded(chest piece from first run of the FF6 magitek research facility place) prior to 70. Yes, I was probably a bitch to heal, but I wasn't going to waste money fixing that.

im sorry that you're an unlucky turd

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Erg posted:

My point is it's disingenuous to imply people should have lots of gear just because the dungeons drop lots of it. You can be pissant about it all you want but RNG is a thing and with duplicate drops and a single dungeon having to provide full sets for 7 armor types, 5 types of jewelry and 15 weapons on top of RNG, people are not reliably getting most of their gear in a handful of runs before they move on to the next dungeon.

This isn't even news either. Previous dungeons also had a lot of chests, but this game is really good at having way too much poo poo a chest can drop, so the times you could rely on dungeons to gear you up while leveling was approximately never. There's a reason they added the welfare drops at the end of HW/SB leveling dungeons and if you have to rely on those, like a few people have to occasionally, it's going to be 10 runs and you don't even have a weapon to show for it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

orcane posted:

My point is it's disingenuous to imply people should have lots of gear just because the dungeons drop lots of it. You can be pissant about it all you want but RNG is a thing and with duplicate drops and a single dungeon having to provide full sets for 7 armor types, 5 types of jewelry and 15 weapons on top of RNG, people are not reliably getting most of their gear in a handful of runs before they move on to the next dungeon.

This isn't even news either. Previous dungeons also had a lot of chests, but this game is really good at having way too much poo poo a chest can drop, so the times you could rely on dungeons to gear you up while leveling was approximately never. There's a reason they added the welfare drops at the end of HW/SB leveling dungeons and if you have to rely on those, like a few people have to occasionally, it's going to be 10 runs and you don't even have a weapon to show for it.

i thought this started from someone saying that they didn't upgrade their gear at all from level 60 to like 68

like im not saying you're gonna be fully loaded up but do you agree that that's pretty ridic y/n

Khisanth Magus posted:

My PLD was using the enhanced Shire sword until 70, and the enhanced Shire armor till 68-69. All of the vendor weapons we're inferior until I hit 70.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/raramir0218/status/896918796220243968

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I've levelled SCH, War, Mch and Drg in dungeons and I've had every left side piece for all of them by the time I got to the next dungeon t b q h with you.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Failboattootoot posted:

I am all for it being an option. I'd never use it, but I see no harm in letting the people who want to bore themselves to death mashing the 1 key 5 times in a row as dragoon do so.

For me it's more like, I'm kind of a terrible player that has enough trouble keeping up with mechanics in the harder boss fights, so making my rotation easier would be a godsend. Me and my friends are currently stuck on O3S and mechanics occasionally fluster me so much that I drop my combo on Dark Knight. It's that bad.

Besides, I don't really find "1234" more engaging than "1111". Plowing through trash is always going to be boring, because trash doesn't have any mechanics to deal with. And a boss fight isn't exciting because you get to unload your big single target deeps on a sandbag, it's fun because you get to deal with a whole bunch of other bullshit that the boss throws your way. Making a rotation easier wouldn't get in the way of that, at least for me.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I don't understand. If it's your first time through to 70, MSQ is dumping high quality gear on you with rockin' defense. If it's your second time leveling, you're running the dungeons enough times to get a huge pile of gear just from the welfare bonus. By the time I had Doma unlocked for my DRK, I had a full set of Bardam's gear from the end bonus alone.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

When i leveled AST from 60 to 70 i ended up using the same weapon from like 65 to 70 because a weapon didn't drop and i don't think anyone gave a poo poo (least of all me) because AST dps is not only boring but it's low too.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Rainuwastaken posted:

For me it's more like, I'm kind of a terrible player that has enough trouble keeping up with mechanics in the harder boss fights, so making my rotation easier would be a godsend. Me and my friends are currently stuck on O3S and mechanics occasionally fluster me so much that I drop my combo on Dark Knight. It's that bad.

Besides, I don't really find "1234" more engaging than "1111". Plowing through trash is always going to be boring, because trash doesn't have any mechanics to deal with. And a boss fight isn't exciting because you get to unload your big single target deeps on a sandbag, it's fun because you get to deal with a whole bunch of other bullshit that the boss throws your way. Making a rotation easier wouldn't get in the way of that, at least for me.

I don't understand. If it's your first time through to 70, MSQ is dumping high quality gear on you with rockin' defense. If it's your second time leveling, you're running the dungeons enough times to get a huge pile of gear just from the welfare bonus. By the time I had Doma unlocked for my DRK, I had a full set of Bardam's gear from the end bonus alone.

Second class, and only doing roulettes, I was not running dungeons outside of roulette. So each leveling dungeon I ran 1-2 times max before I leveled to the next dungeon, depending on roulette rng. Ran mettle a total of 3 times during that (free loot each time was an accessory, no tank drops ever), doma 3 times(was lucky here, replaced chest, hat, gloves, and boots finally), and research facility place twice before I hit 70(chest piece replaced again).

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 14, 2017

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I did leveling roulette as SAM, and the class feels utterly terrible when it doesn't have access to any of its combos or Iaijutsu, moreso than any other class I've tried at low level. I really like the class regardless, but now I'm getting why people utterly despise the low level roulettes.

Heavensward zone design is completely obnoxious, and Coerthas Western Highlands is probably my least favorite zone in the game thus far. I do like the floating island place a bit better though.

Dusk Vigil was kind of fun, if extremely straightforward compared to stuff like Keeper of the Lake and Snowcloak.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Don't all the 61+ dungeons give you a piece of armor on completion? I know for sure I got like two or three pieces of gear that way when I was going through the msq.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

IcePhoenix posted:

Don't all the 61+ dungeons give you a piece of armor on completion? I know for sure I got like two or three pieces of gear that way when I was going through the msq.

All of the leveling dungeons will give you a piece of gear for whatever class you're on at the end that you do not already have. You can get drops from every chest and a piece at the end to boot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

All 50-69 dungeons will give you one accessory or piece of armor you don't have (in your inventory, not in retainer) upon completion but it's very possible to end up with only accessories or whatever depending on how many runs it takes. Admittedly you can solve it by running the dungeon a little more.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Second class, and only doing roulettes, I was not running dungeons outside of roulette. So each leveling dungeon I ran 1-2 times max before I leveled to the next dungeon, depending on roulette rng. Ran mettle a total of 3 times during that (free loot each time was an accessory, no tank drops ever), doma 3 times(was lucky here, replaced chest, hat, gloves, and boots finally), and research facility place twice before I hit 70(chest piece replaced again).

Ah, fair enough. Didn't think of the roulette-only approach, as when I was getting my second 70 I blitzed DRK there as quickly as I could through my highest level dungeons.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
you should have all crafts at 70 so you can replace gear cheaply whenever necessary anyway, honestly, tbh

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

you should have everything at 70 so you don't have to replace anything

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you should have beaten o4s four times by now and gotten all the tokens, so you don't need to worry about weapons

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

How boring of a life must you lead that pressing 123 instead of 111 is somehow an exciting prospect

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you say this, and yet who's volunteering to go back to a level 15 lancer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

you say this, and yet who's volunteering to go back to a level 15 lancer

I'm pretty sure pressing 1-1-1 isn't the real problem with that.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ImpAtom posted:

How is it different? That when you mindlessly press that 1-1-1 it looks different?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
As someone with arthritis issues, I'd really love if they gave the option to combine my combos so I could reclaim some keybinds and reach less. Playing melee is pretty hard on my hands compared to, say, BLM. But I honestly like playing DRG the most. It's a shame I can't play the job I like the most because some people seem to think that combining the melee combo somehow distracts from what makes the job fun.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

In 4.0 they changed the potencies so that True + Vorpal does more damage than Impulse + Impulse so it sounds like they did consider it part of the problem.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

How is it different? That when you mindlessly press that 1-1-1 it looks different?

Yeah

You can't tell me doing sick flips and having micromissiles didn't make MCH a million times more fun to play despite changing absolutely nothing about the way their 123 works.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I got this sweet move where I flip around and stab the poo poo out of this monster, but the truly exciting part of this is that I press "2" instead of "1" to do it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yes? Different moves and abilities are basically the only difference if you're pressing 1-2-3 or 1-1-1. You're really stretching if you claim that it's the act of pressing 2 and 3 instead that makes you enjoy those things. There's some illusion of complexity of course but if the illusion is so important that this breaks it then there's bigger design problems.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There's really no excuse for not putting consolidated combos into the classes which can support them. For instance, the red mage's three melee attacks should not be on different buttons.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Frankly it's ludicrous that RDM has more than two buttons total.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I also really like abilities transforming into others in pvp, like how DWT trance becomes Deathflare. You literally can't use Deathflare without using DWT first, and you can't use DWT again while Deathflare is available, so why should they be two separate buttons?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Countblanc posted:

Frankly it's ludicrous that RDM has more than two buttons total.

Agreed. The logical conclusion to all of this is that all classes should only have 2 buttons to press. Or maybe even 1. I was going to say a "combo" button and a "buff" button, but might as well make that buff automatically happen when available. Save people the trouble of pressing a second button.

I guess you can have a single target and aoe button, but maybe the game should just determine which one you need.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I don't really care if you hit 1-1-1 or 1-2-3 because I just click my skills anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fister Roboto posted:

I also really like abilities transforming into others in pvp, like how DWT trance becomes Deathflare. You literally can't use Deathflare without using DWT first, and you can't use DWT again while Deathflare is available, so why should they be two separate buttons?

Same for Leylines/Between the Lines and Enochian/FireIV/BlizzardIV