Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I suppose that this is a good time to remind people that the FATAL and Friends thread features an RPG which basically boils down to 'when people call for a trial, two 'lawyers' riding giant robots get drop podded down from the heavens, each lawyer picks a side, and whoever's giant robot is last standing wins'.

Edit: It's called Giant Allege and it's just about as silly as it sounds.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

I suppose that this is a good time to remind people that the FATAL and Friends thread features an RPG which basically boils down to 'when people call for a trial, two 'lawyers' riding giant robots get drop podded down from the heavens, each lawyer picks a side, and whoever's giant robot is last standing wins'.

Edit: It's called Giant Allege and it's just about as silly as it sounds.

Canada re-legalized dueling and PGI called for a jury of peers, so maybe PGI's lawyer and HG's lawyer can just duel each other.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Skoll posted:

Canada re-legalized dueling and PGI called for a jury of peers, so maybe PGI's lawyer and HG's lawyer can just duel each other.

The best of scenarios

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ice Fist posted:

The best of scenarios

The best of scenarios would be whoever is actually at Harmony Gold would have to enter the duel.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Pretty sure this is why all the mechs in Canon become lost technology, because the mech houses petitioned COMSTAR under DMCA to revoke comma access to planets infringing on mech designs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/wawd/242820/32-0.html

PGI and HBS released a joint statement to the court. It's a good read. Start on Page 2 at the Statement of the Defence.

Their take on this seems to be similar to what my gut reaction is. Especially by trying to include very dissimilar designs like the Atlas as part of their case, HG is essentially claiming that it owns all robot stuff; hopefully, their overreach gets them badly burned in this suit. Not just for the sake of Battletech as a property, but given how litigious HG is, it seems likely that they would start going after other makers of mech stuff if a 400-year-old Reagan judge agrees "Yeah you pretty much just own the idea of giant robots."

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

aniviron posted:

Their take on this seems to be similar to what my gut reaction is. Especially by trying to include very dissimilar designs like the Atlas as part of their case, HG is essentially claiming that it owns all robot stuff; hopefully, their overreach gets them badly burned in this suit. Not just for the sake of Battletech as a property, but given how litigious HG is, it seems likely that they would start going after other makers of mech stuff if a 400-year-old Reagan judge agrees "Yeah you pretty much just own the idea of giant robots."

If they tried to claim ownership of the concept of giant robots Im pretty sure Sunrise would stomp them out sooner or later.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Johnny Sokko and his Giant loving Flying Robot Warrior from 1967 objects, your honor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnczokOnWjg
Had fingernail missiles, eye laser rays, and megaton punch melee. So, basically an Atlas.

And so does 1963's Gigantor the Space Age Robot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Gy-EB9q2w

As an aside, Gigantor really hates the Team Venture plane.

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 31, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Republicanus posted:

Johnny Sokko and his Giant loving Flying Robot Warrior from 1967 objects, your honor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnczokOnWjg
Had fingernail missiles, eye laser rays, and megaton punch melee. So, basically an Atlas.

this is super amazing

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Phrosphor posted:

Oh and the judge in this case was born in 1935 and appointed by Reagan, just in case we needed yet another wildcard in this.

I can't help but think that the company name, particularly the fact that they're referring to themselves as the "Harebrained Defendants" will come back to bite them in the rear end in court.

Counting down to the stenograph of the trial having some variation of, "Well this really was a harebrained scheme you had, stealing this intellectual property," in it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

making a battletech game without having some kind of understanding with HG is pretty harebrained

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Battletech itself is still fine, aside from the hilarious (and apparently new) implication that the Atlas is somehow HG property. HBS can just cut the re-seen from the roster (which would be sad, but not game-ruining) and truck right along without HG having a say.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The Atlas is safe, Catalyst, HBS, and PGI can just point out that it's been in tons of games and miniatures and such and HG never challenged it before. If they had any copyright they did not defend it, thus it was lost.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Atlas is safe, Catalyst, HBS, and PGI can just point out that it's been in tons of games and miniatures and such and HG never challenged it before. If they had any copyright they did not defend it, thus it was lost.

You lose a trademark from not defending it. Copyrights don't get lost that way.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Can we rename the thread to "now in litigation" though?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

game canceled due to angry italians

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I wonder if they are going to cancel the live Q&A, it is usually the second Wednesday of the month right?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yep, 2nd Wednesday.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Phrosphor posted:

I wonder if they are going to cancel the live Q&A, it is usually the second Wednesday of the month right?

what time is it typically?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Noon Pacific time.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
They'll do the Q&A they'll just either ignore all questions about the lawsuit or say "we can't talk about the lawsuit" and proceed to ignore all questions.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

From today's Kickstarter update email

Skirmish Beta Update This Week
Great news! An update to our Single-Player Skirmish Beta is coming later this week (we’ll send out another Kickstarter Update when it’s live). Thank you SO MUCH for all of your time submitting survey responses and discussing the Beta on the forums. This communication has been invaluable, and we've pushed a pretty significant set of gameplay & balancing changes to the Beta in direct response to your feedback.
The details will be in a complete change log and in your updated Beta Manual upon release, but here are some highlights:
Evasion, Sensor Lock, and Evasive Move have received major revisions.
Morale has been replaced with a new system intended to reduce the snowball effect of early game advantages.
Weapon balance has been tuned on a variety of weapons.
Crits are more frequent and powerful. Components and ammo now require only one crit to be destroyed, while weapons become damaged on the first crit (+2 Difficulty to-hit) and destroyed on the second.
A/C damage has been reduced (previous: 25/50/75/100, current: 25/45/60/100) for AC2, 5, 10, and 20 respectively.
Global heat has been tuned down by about 10%.
Water doesn't increase heat dissipation as much (previous: 200%, current: 150%)
Stability damage accumulates slower and also bleeds slower, and in larger discrete chunks.
MechWarriors now have two abilities, which increases their usefulness and flexibility.
An eyeball icon appears on enemy units if they will have LOS on you after you make the move you’re plotting.
Beyond these gameplay mechanics, this beta update also includes:
A big, tasty update to AI that includes enemies using MechWarrior abilities, making called shots on prone or shut down units, using Death From Above, and generally messing up your life.
A Settings Menu that allows you to change your settings and remap your keyboard shortcuts. (Currently only available from the Main Menu.)
Some UI changes/enhancements both in combat and the skirmish setup screens.
Enjoy! And please continue to fill out your surveys after each match. They’ve proven very valuable! We'll publish a complete list of changes when the Beta Update goes live.

Double-Secret Multiplayer Beta Test This Week, Too!
Still more good news - the BATTLETECH Multiplayer Beta is almost ready for primetime! Before releasing it to our entire Backer Beta population, we’ll be running a Double-Secret Multiplayer Beta Test on Steam this week (it might NOT start the same day as the Skirmish Beta update) for those hearty souls willing to opt-in and help stress test the system in the wild. Are YOU a hearty soul? Cuz, we could use your help! Again, we’ll send out another Kickstarter Update when it’s live.
All Backers with Beta Access are invited to participate but by opting-in, participants accept that they may experience connection issues, crashes, and dropped games - that’s what you’re looking for in the first place!
Once we’re comfortable that we’ve eliminated enough bugs and issues (it’ll probably take a couple of weeks), we’ll shut down the Double-Secret Beta Test and automatically update the Beta for everyone to include 1v1 Multiplayer. Then, all of you can take your hard-won experience with the Single Player Skirmish Game and apply it against your wiley human opponents in stompy head-to-head action.

Launch Window Update
Hi everyone,
As you may remember, the original release estimate listed in our Kickstarter campaign was for delivery of the BATTLETECH Base Skirmish Game. With each additional Funding Stage unlocked - Single-Player Story Campaign, Expanded Mercenary Campaign, and PVP Multiplayer - more time and team members were added for the additional work.
We’d previously been projecting a late 2017 release but now that we’ve revised our AI & combat mechanics in reaction to your feedback, completed a thorough review of the work remaining on the game, and are poised to release the Multiplayer Backer Beta update, all indications are that Paradox & HBS will release BATTLETECH in early 2018.
Throughout development, the message we’ve received has been clear, “Don’t rush it, just make it great.” and we have taken that to heart. All of us - HBS, Paradox, and our Backers - share a deeply personal attachment to this project and we are committed to delivering a game that not only meets your high expectations but introduces BattleTech to a new generation of players.
With that said, I’m happy to report that solid progress continues across the project! We are now able to play the open-ended mercenary campaign “loop” and I have to say that when you’re counting your C-bills and caring about your MechWarriors’ health and survival, you approach combat missions differently which imbues every turn with a ton of dramatic tension. And the upcoming upgrade to our AI is going to make you think hard about how you engage the enemy!
As Mitch mentioned in our last update, we’ve made a ton of progress on all the component pieces of the game and this phase of development is all about bringing them together - the core combat game, the mercenary simulation aboard the Argo, the single-player story and cinematics, the open-ended mercenary mission system, the ‘Mech customization system… it’s a lot of stuff and it’s exciting to see it all getting stitched together and “upleveled” with art, audio, UI, and writing.
It really is an exciting time on the project and I can’t wait to share it with you when it’s finally done. Thanks again for all your support!
Jordan

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Good news, and none of that (especially the extension of the release date to early 2018) surprises me. It is nice to see that they are listening to feedback and making some iterative changes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Looks like they're paying attention to the poo poo that was broken. Adjusting AC damage and making stability damage both accumulate slower and decrease slower will help a LOT. LRM spam shouldn't be as all powerful as it was.

Hyped for multiplayer to be arriving, just with ithe full game was landing earlier than early 2018. Ah well, hopefully they drop in a dead zone where there's not much going on as far as new releases go. Not that I was expecting anything else.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wow, the guys who hated ACs being good must be busting a nut in their pants right now. AC damage nerf, ammo explosions only take one crit now, heat has been reduced so energy is better, and stability accumulates slower, which while meant as a nerf to missiles will hit ACs even harder because they were already behind on the stab damage curve.

:discourse:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm glad to know the single-player loop is closed and working well, too. I know the focus is on multiplayer because that's the big feature we're waiting for, but at the end of the day I'm going to spend infinitely more time with single player than MP, so it's good to hear that in there also.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

ACs will still be good with those damage numbers. Not so sure about the stability changes though. But, I guess, feel free to whine because the AC10 is no longer objectively better than the AC20.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Q_res posted:

ACs will still be good with those damage numbers. Not so sure about the stability changes though. But, I guess, feel free to whine because the AC10 is no longer objectively better than the AC20.

Because people's problem with ACs was how good they were relative to other ACs. It's four separate nerfs to ACs, and it's not all to make sure they're all good relative to each other. I honestly can't wait to see what the new and improved crit system does, especially with 1 crit ammo explosions.

I wonder if the global heat change is enough to make the PPC feel useful. PPC and medium laser hype.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I don't think ammo will explode in 1 crit. Ammo needed to be hit in a destroyed state to explode and it took 2 crits to get to destroyed in the first place. I think they just reduced the amount of crits required to make ammo go boom from 3 to 2. Plus there's a lot of ways they can tweak how crits work in the first place and we don't know yet how they've changed it.

And yeah no nerf on the AC2 (still good as opposed to TT garbage), barely a nerf on the AC5 and just enough of a nerf on the AC10 to stop it from being a headcapper (which was the big problem with it).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 14, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

edit: Actually 60 is the headcapper threshold in this game. So they didn't actually fix that.

The only two ACs that caused issues were the AC/5 and the AC/10. The biggest problem with the AC/5 was it made the PPC look kind of lovely, especially combined with the heat scale we've had.

The AC/10 managed to make the PPC and AC/20 look dumb, while also being a one-shot headcapping monster. It is, objectively, the best weapon in the game and the only thing that could even make an argument of it is the LRM-15

There's a huge gulf between where ACs are right now and a Meta where ACs actually suck. Give it a chance before declaring ACs ruined.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 14, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The damage nerf I'm ultimately fine with. I said way back when if they drop it to 65 (but buff the head structure in combination with it) I think it'd be great. If the new crit system really is two hit explosion instead of 1, that's at least not instant death for bringing ACs along. They certainly didn't need stab damage to be nerfed though, they did sweet dick all as it was compared to missiles. The heat change will help large lasers and PPCs fit in with other weapons a little more.

I don't know that the nerf will make the PPC feel less lovely, because to me the PPC felt pretty lovely even in a vaccuum. It feels lovely relative to EVERYTHING.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Their changes feel like they want games to last longer and be more slugfests, but with the opportunity for a shitload of criticals.

Eh, should be interesting. Not like you can't tweak the numbers yourself if you don't like 'em.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That's the thing about iterative design and true betas - if these changes suck they can always roll them back, or tweak them for a third version. It's not like there's a comp scene or leaderboards where they're going to make a bunch of poop sockers butthurt over changing the meta or nerfing their sickkkkkk build.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Skoll posted:

Their changes feel like they want games to last longer and be more slugfests, but with the opportunity for a shitload of criticals.
This is the spirit of battletech and a huge reason why MWO sucks rear end.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yuuuuuuup.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh, yeah. I was just making an observation, I enjoy a good knock out drag out fight in the beta, except when your pilot randomly gets headshot three turns into the fight.

As for MWO, I think the less said about it the better. Still think they could have avoided a lot of grief with a cone of fire system.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Skoll posted:

Oh, yeah. I was just making an observation, I enjoy a good knock out drag out fight in the beta, except when your pilot randomly gets headshot three turns into the fight.

As for MWO, I think the less said about it the better. Still think they could have avoided a lot of grief with a cone of fire system.
I figured, and I agree, heh.

And yeah, I am not going down that rabbit hole/starting that derail. I've spent enough of my life on MWO that I would be happy to never hear about it again barring news about PGI sucking the big one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

I agree to a point. Big slugfests are awesome, but "oh gently caress my atlas got domed" is pretty much battle tech as gently caress too.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've had like preternatural bad luck in the beta with my mechs getting headshot early in the rounds. I know it's :battletech: but I think the RNG especially hates me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Skoll posted:

I've had like preternatural bad luck in the beta with my mechs getting headshot early in the rounds. I know it's :battletech: but I think the RNG especially hates me.
:hfive: bad RNG bro

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 14, 2017