Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Wasn't there a study that showed people on steroids sitting on their rear end doing nothing gained more muscle than people who actually were working out naturally? Or was it bunk?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101

Tldr
Steroid-no-exercise gained more mass than placebo-and-excercise. Their bench press and squat increases were about the same.

Steroid-and-excercise more than doubled the effects of just exercise.

Also, small sample size.

How bad do you feel for those put in the placebo-no-excercise group? Very?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zzulu posted:

does he seriously claim to be natural lmao

I don't understand the mindset of these obvious roiders who say they're natural. Like why do they do it? Do they have sponsors? Is their ego just too fragile to admit it publicly?

This is that dude when he was 16

I was already benching over 400 pounds in powerlifting meets and deadlifting & squatting 625 pounds at 16 years old.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zahgaegun posted:

Try a trap bar/hex bar deads before giving up on deads entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzvsIU9FW60

Man hex bar is basically cheating, isn't it? Our gym just got one and I gave it a try - added 5kg and completed the set way easier then before. No need for straps either, as with the regular bar I was losing my grip way too early. I did feel like I was missing something, which I think had to do with the higher handles that reduce ROM, so I'll try to flip it over next time.

Speaking of deadlifts, you know these cute gifs of couples deadlifting each other? Well the liftee is our local celebrity here, 180kg supposedly:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mobby_6kl posted:

Man hex bar is basically cheating, isn't it? Our gym just got one and I gave it a try - added 5kg and completed the set way easier then before. No need for straps either, as with the regular bar I was losing my grip way too early. I did feel like I was missing something, which I think had to do with the higher handles that reduce ROM, so I'll try to flip it over next time.

Just add a lot of weight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pesmerga posted:

I hate deadlifts. They suck. Or I suck at them. Either way, are dumbbell lunges an acceptable alternative?

how would dumbbell lunges in any way replicate a deadlift idgi

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bob Morales posted:

"Fittest women on earth" are Kara Webb, Tia-Clair Toomey and Annie Thorisdottir

crossfit is cool and good

if it's good enough for thor's daughter, it's good enough for me

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

This is that dude when he was 16

I was already benching over 400 pounds in powerlifting meets and deadlifting & squatting 625 pounds at 16 years old.

a kid on my highschool team went from being a huge bitch to jacked as gently caress and covered in acne over one off season. ended up making all state, starting in college for four years, and made the NFL as a backup

steroids are for real

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Drugs own

not just anabolics but all drugs

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

Could you not get your hands on the part of the bar that is on the same plane as the weights? Not using the top grip position that the girl in the thumbnail of that youtube vid is.

I think that hex bar deadlifts are "easier" than regular at the same weight, so yeah I think you'd need to increase the weight on the hex bar to compensate. The result is working the muscles you're trying to target while helping eliminate the things that stop you from lifting more weight (your grip and the fear of destroying your spine).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Good Dog posted:

Could you not get your hands on the part of the bar that is on the same plane as the weights? Not using the top grip position that the girl in the thumbnail of that youtube vid is.

I think that hex bar deadlifts are "easier" than regular at the same weight, so yeah I think you'd need to increase the weight on the hex bar to compensate. The result is working the muscles you're trying to target while helping eliminate the things that stop you from lifting more weight (your grip and the fear of destroying your spine).

This, but also it just makes holding the proper position easier (you are much, much less likely to slope your shoulders and curve your back with a hex bar). This makes it easier to lift, but you're still lifting big weight.
On non-big-weight days (do those exist?) You can go back to the normal bar.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I've been told hexbar deadlifts are more like squats than regular deadlifts hth

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I think that depends on how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C878XeabMg&t=295s

Good Dog posted:

Not really, I think the upper handles would be pushing on my wrists during the lift. But as I mentioned, it should be possible to just rotate the bar 180 degrees so that the coplanar handle is unobstructed.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Gotta stick dat rear end out for deadlifts, yo.

(I didn't know you could vary it to do quads, too!)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Gotta stick dat rear end out for deadlifts, yo.

(I didn't know you could vary it to do quads, too!)

Definitely don't, unless you enjoy lower back problems

Source: me

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I get why front raises are bad for shoulders but can anyone explain why upright rows are bad? It's one of my staple exercises but everyone is telling me not to.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

Drugs own

not just anabolics but all drugs

opiates are at the very least some of the reason my testosterone is at 196 though

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

:ohdear:
Even on hex? I've been doing hex deads for a while and haven't noticed any back issues.

Maybe I'll stop so i don't destroy myself eventually.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I get why front raises are bad for shoulders but can anyone explain why upright rows are bad? It's one of my staple exercises but everyone is telling me not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq67opsS_hc

:shrug:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

You are supposed to hinge at the hips to avoid lower back problems. It's part of why RDLs or similar are part of rehab for people who hurt their lower backs but still want to do deadlifts and stuff. They teach you how to hinge correctly.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 15, 2017

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Front raises aren't bad for your shoulders though? Upright rows are just stupid.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I just dont go any higher than my nipples when doing upright rows :shrug:

people yanking it up to their neck though is pretty lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Got to keep upright rows super light. It's not a lift you want to grind out reps in.

Front raises are the single most pointless exercise anyone could do.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

sassassin posted:

Got to keep upright rows super light. It's not a lift you want to grind out reps in.

Front raises are the single most pointless exercise anyone could do.

What about the good girl/bad girl machine

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Useful.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I got run off a fitocracy by a bunch of fat burlesque dancers for calling them this once. Stay safe, sweater goon.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Anyone who squats regularly should be using the good girl machine to balance out their groin imo. Nothing heavy, just a few sets of 10-14 a week.

The first time I used it I had some of the sickest DOMS of my life and I haven't had a single groin issue since.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
those machines make my groin hurt looking at them

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The ones I have seen don't have enough weight. They only go up to like 120lbs or something. I tried it my first few months of lifting and could do 20+ reps with the whole stack in either direction and was real disappointed.

I really want to join a gym with better sweet rear end accessory tools, but uh even the gold's near me doesn't have the stuff I want.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

What are good shoulder exercises that won't leave me crippled? Overhead press, face pulls, ?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
those dumb upside down overhead press leaning against a wall ones

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

The ones I have seen don't have enough weight. They only go up to like 120lbs or something. I tried it my first few months of lifting and could do 20+ reps with the whole stack in either direction and was real disappointed.

I really want to join a gym with better sweet rear end accessory tools, but uh even the gold's near me doesn't have the stuff I want.

I don't use more than 40-50kg. Just get the blood pumping to your nethers.

To the guy tonight with the toe shoes doing half squats with plates under his heels: there's a big tear in the back of your shorts, buddy.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
is rich piana still liftin heavy or has he gone off to have racist meltdowns and snort stuff in the sky

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sassassin posted:

I don't use more than 40-50kg. Just get the blood pumping to your nethers.

To the guy tonight with the toe shoes doing half squats with plates under his heels: there's a big tear in the back of your shorts, buddy.

That's an invitation. Don't be rude.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Chinatown posted:

those dumb upside down overhead press leaning against a wall ones

how about something that won't result in me breaking my neck

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
face pulls are really good

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
prob one of the best Dom vids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRpiaHRtKlw

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
what are we doing instead of upright rows?!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
for me its lesser weight. no yanking the weight up at all, same speed up and down, controlled, never above my nips. more reps. no homo

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
waaahhh i need an accountability group to stay in shape, i have no self control or dignity so i need constant external pressure to take care of myself lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If you aren't rich enough for crossfit and you don't have any friends who would want to help you stay accountable and be healthy and strong, then focus on fixing one or both of those.