Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I was also anti big phone until I got one. Never going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I went from a original Moto g to a Moto g4 and the latter was huge comparatively; I got used to it much more quickly than I expected and prefer the big screen now. Big phone big life

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

They didn't offer it in 128GB :mad:

Live in the cloud like I do and you too could have over 16 GB free on your 32 GB phone.

Blue Train posted:

I went from a original Moto g to a Moto g4 and the latter was huge comparatively; I got used to it much more quickly than I expected and prefer the big screen now. Big phone big life

Same. I always had small phones until I didn't. I'm at the Pixel XL and I'm still not wishing it was any smaller. I often am shown things on my girlfriend's Pixel and think that's it far too tiny to be usable.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ordered a Pixel XL a week ago, shipped a few days sooner than expected and should arrive Wednesday (probably took longer cause I went for the cool blue one, which makes no sense cause I'll be terrified to ever take a $600 phone out of the Caseology I got for it). Then while checking out Swappa to sell my 5X, I remembered I had an old iPod Touch in a drawer and plugged it in to charge and reset and maybe sell it too. Using that 4" screen for probably not more than 15 minutes, as soon as I picked up my 5X again it felt enormous and I immediately questioned whether I am truly ready for bigphone life. I knew I didn't want to actually lose .2" with the normal Pixel but I'm curious if I'll actually like 5.5".

Pixel XL is noticeably smaller than a Nexus 6P or the hugephone Nexus 6. It's pretty reasonable.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I recently dropped my Nexus 6P. Screen shattered, frame bent, buttons broken, essentially everything is broken but surprisingly the phone still works. I can still hear notifications and I am still able to connect to WhatsApp. I just ordered a new phone and wondering what I should do with my broken 6P? I can still see it on Find My Phone and wondering if I should just erase all data on the 6P and move my SIM card to the new phone I ordered. Just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything important if I do that. Would prefer to have a clean slate on the 6P in case I want to sell it for pennies on the dollar in the future. I have everything automatically backed up... Google Photos, WhatsApp messages, Google Music etc.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Busy Bee posted:

I recently dropped my Nexus 6P. Screen shattered, frame bent, buttons broken, essentially everything is broken but surprisingly the phone still works.

:stare: Did you drop it off an overpass? How do you bend the frame just by dropping it?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:stare: Did you drop it off an overpass? How do you bend the frame just by dropping it?

It fell 30 feet off of my friends terrace onto solid concrete and yes I'm just as surprised as you are that it still "works"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Here he is "dropping" it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm looking at the Google Assistant website right now.

This thing is such a clusterfuck when it comes to which commands are supported on which devices. I mean, how how is a normal person supposed to remember that you can ask your phone, your watch, or the Google Home "Will I need an umbrella today?", but you can't ask your watch "What is the traffic like to work?" and the only device you can ask "What movies are showing this weekend?" is your phone?

Stupid Google poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alexa isn't much better in the way you have to track down and activate specific skills to do anything.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I'm looking at the Google Assistant website right now.

This thing is such a clusterfuck when it comes to which commands are supported on which devices. I mean, how how is a normal person supposed to remember that you can ask your phone, your watch, or the Google Home "Will I need an umbrella today?", but you can't ask your watch "What is the traffic like to work?" and the only device you can ask "What movies are showing this weekend?" is your phone?

Stupid Google poo poo.

It is infuriating to this day that I have to whisper into my phone like I'm sharing state secrets if I want to ask it to set a reminder while I'm within earshot of the Home.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like I might be moving from Fi to Verizon post-paid on my bf's plan. Going to see if I can get a Pixel 2...

Anyone know if the Pixel from Verizon can be used on any carrier or is it just some special snowflake with a locked bootloader?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Finally ditched my Widows Phone and went Android, got a Galaxy A5 for cheap - pretty much love it except for one thing - the drat screen sensitivity. I'm constantly hitting the two left/rightmost apps on the launchbar when gripping it in my left hand. There's no way to adjust the sensitivity in settings, anything I can do about this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like I might be moving from Fi to Verizon post-paid on my bf's plan. Going to see if I can get a Pixel 2...

Anyone know if the Pixel from Verizon can be used on any carrier or is it just some special snowflake with a locked bootloader?

It's Verizon, it probably lights up like a note 7 if you even start typing in the website of a competing carrier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aside from not being able to unlock the bootloader, there's zero differences.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Live in the cloud like I do and you too could have over 16 GB free on your 32 GB phone.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was in Europe last month and had no issues using it across 3 different providers (Vodaphone, T-Mobile, and a T-Mobile MVNO). It's an unlocked phone in that it can be used across other providers, but the bootloader is locked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Is that like literally after a factory reset or something? I got just about fuckall installed, like only two games and the bare minimum of apps I use daily, and I'm over 15gb for apps alone which brings usage with system over 21gb.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

this is after like a year

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I just got a Pixel XL yesterday :woop:. I would have liked to have held out until concrete deets on the Pixel 2 dropped, but my GS III would rarely even work as a phone anymore.

I'm looking at the USB-C cable spead sheet in the OP, and it's incredibly hard to decipher. 3's are good, right? There's no good, long, USB 3.1 cable from what I think I'm seeing then? Is that combination just impossible for some reason? If I use the USB A to C cable that came with my phone with an older charger, will my phone explode?

I just need a cable that I can put in my carry-on bag that I can use to charge and transfer files when I need it. Perhaps 3.1 isn't even going to make a difference? I don't know.

Also, why is USB C apparently still such a cluster gently caress?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mogomra posted:

I just got a Pixel XL yesterday :woop:. I would have liked to have held out until concrete deets on the Pixel 2 dropped, but my GS III would rarely even work as a phone anymore.

I'm looking at the USB-C cable spead sheet in the OP, and it's incredibly hard to decipher. 3's are good, right? There's no good, long, USB 3.1 cable from what I think I'm seeing then? Is that combination just impossible for some reason? If I use the USB A to C cable that came with my phone with an older charger, will my phone explode?

I just need a cable that I can put in my carry-on bag that I can use to charge and transfer files when I need it. Perhaps 3.1 isn't even going to make a difference? I don't know.

Also, why is USB C apparently still such a cluster gently caress?

It's a clusterfuck because it put some signaling bullshit in the cable instead of relying on putting an upward boundary for current within the standard I think.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Is that like literally after a factory reset or something? I got just about fuckall installed, like only two games and the bare minimum of apps I use daily, and I'm over 15gb for apps alone which brings usage with system over 21gb.
I ordered one launch day but I needed an RMA replacement in December when half of my screen was messed up.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Andy Rubin’s Essential is now valued at over a billion dollars without shipping a single phone

Death to America

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the same way how Uber is worth 80 billion but it's also a trash fire that will implode any day

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's still funny that Uber is basically an undying wish made by SV bagmen and would never be able to break even in an IPO even if they could stop posting losses to begin with. I'd like to imagine that it would be the beginning of the bubble bursting if they went under but their moneyed handlers will just hurl sacks of money into the flaming dumpster just to keep using it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tesla is worth around the same amount as GM, despite having a total manufacturing capacity about the same as GM's monthly sales, and having never posted a profitable quarter with no trend towards changing that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh cool I got an email saying that I can redeem a free Google Home. Getting a device specifically intended to spy on me and that apparently has an entirely different command set than the Assistant sure does ameliorate the sting of purchasing a PixelXL at full price four days before they knocked $200 off.

It should arrive around the 18th.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Oh cool I got an email saying that I can redeem a free Google Home. Getting a device specifically intended to spy on me and that apparently has an entirely different command set than the Assistant sure does ameliorate the sting of purchasing a PixelXL at full price four days before they knocked $200 off.

If you send it to me you can see all the photos it snaps of me walking around hungover in my underwear

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I have three already but if you don't want yours I'll be happy to add a fourth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can I wipe it and install Linux?

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

I have an S6 that, after installing an update just now, started saying "The Samsung Keyboard is not responding." I was using Swype before, but now it refuses to even open any keyboard. I'm stuck on the login screen because I tried restarting and it won't let me type in a password. Am I hosed?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FirstPlayer posted:

I have an S6 that, after installing an update just now, started saying "The Samsung Keyboard is not responding." I was using Swype before, but now it refuses to even open any keyboard. I'm stuck on the login screen because I tried restarting and it won't let me type in a password. Am I hosed?

Well you aren't completely hosed, you can use Samsung's tool for reflashing the stock firmware onto the device at worst.

What happens when you try to switch to a different keyboard? What are you trying to log into exactly? To my knowledge the lockscreen doesn't use the stock keyboard.

I'll admit this might be the worst case of Samsunging I've heard of.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

FirstPlayer posted:

If you don't want to wipe your device, you can buy a USB OTG cable and plug a USB keyboard in to log in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0lt posted:

If you don't want to wipe your device, you can buy a USB OTG cable and plug a USB keyboard in to log in.

And carry that keyboard around with him everywhere he goes, I suppose.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Just buy a tiny USB keyboard and strap it to the arm. Complete the cyberpunk look with night time mirror shades.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

LastInLine posted:

Well you aren't completely hosed, you can use Samsung's tool for reflashing the stock firmware onto the device at worst.

What happens when you try to switch to a different keyboard? What are you trying to log into exactly? To my knowledge the lockscreen doesn't use the stock keyboard.

I'll admit this might be the worst case of Samsunging I've heard of.

It wouldn't even select the text field to let me switch keyboards.

Thank you all for the advice; it just kind of mysteriously fixed itself while I slept so I guess I'll just keep using it with a newfound anxiety about getting stranded.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FirstPlayer posted:

It wouldn't even select the text field to let me switch keyboards.

Thank you all for the advice; it just kind of mysteriously fixed itself while I slept so I guess I'll just keep using it with a newfound anxiety about getting stranded.

If the anxiety gets to be too much for you, the Moto G5+ is $240 with ads at Amazon and would be a noticeable upgrade from your current S6.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Okay what's going on with the G5+ and Verizon? On other forums everyone says you have to turn off VoLTE so things like hands free and GPS don't work at the same time.

The community manager on their forums is pulling a Star Citizen with a release date on a fix too.

3peat
May 6, 2010

My nexus 5 is falling apart so I looked up what's the best under $200 phone right now and ordered a xiaomi RN4X; can't wait not having to recharge during the day, that xiaomi supposedly does 14hr screen on time
Also after 10+ yrs of black phones I wanted something else, and got this model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvFVkDqFKI
...thankfully only the box seems to be "artistic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

3peat posted:

My nexus 5 is falling apart so I looked up what's the best under $200 phone right now and ordered a xiaomi RN4X; can't wait not having to recharge during the day, that xiaomi supposedly does 14hr screen on time
Also after 10+ yrs of black phones I wanted something else, and got this model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvFVkDqFKI
...thankfully only the box seems to be "artistic"

Dear youtube, please remove this video as it featuring my beloved waifu with no consent