Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GlyphGryph posted:

You can dish out a shitton of damage.

To make matters worse (better) the shotgun has a high chance of knocking enemies down if you point-blank them, and this even works on the Nightmare. Knocked-down enemies are considered disabled for the damage bonus, so a double tap off the sneak-attack combat-focus shotgun fiesta will end a Nightmare then and there. It's bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
And sneak attack and combat focus pair with every other ability, so you get those bonuses even when using stuff like Kinetic Blast.

And you can use Kinetic Blast while mimicking and it doesn't break stealth. So if you want to fly around as a mimicked operator one-shot killing everybody with your mind, that is very much an option. (obviously do the psychic water quest down in life support ASAP if you want to go down this route)

Also Kinetic Blast lets you get lift field which you can use to do hilarious things, like lifting an enemy up, gloo-ing them in place, and then watching them plummet to their death.

Ravenfood posted:

Sneak attacking can also be upgraded to let you do 250% bonus damage, iirc.

250% damage total, so 150% bonus damage.

Grem posted:

No idea how I missed the qbeam though, is that the hole in the men's floor you were talking about? Cause I went down there.
The hole in the floor is in Psychotronics. The QBeam is in the Hardware Labs, which is much earlier in the game - it's the first place you go after locating your office. There's a section called "Beam Labs" - you need to fix the door control and then you can walk inside and pick up the Q-Beam.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 8, 2017

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Just finished my first run through. That was intense, probably because I was playing it for like seven hours a day for six days straight. Tried to explore everything, didn't quite make it, but got a good amount I think (I'm probably laughably wrong on this). Think I'll take a break and try Dishonored next before I go and do a replay. I'm wondering what a replay is even going to be like knowing all the little things I know now especially once I get to hardware and do my first spacewalk.

I missed one of the smuggler drops because I just got bored of hitting those drat things with my wrench and I missed one of the treasure maps - couldn't find Emma's for some reason and I kept forgetting to look at the maps everytime I was in an area so eventually I just got bored. Not a fan of the ending, but it was alright I guess. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure how they could have done a different ending to make it better so I'll deal with it. The game was absolutely amazing besides that, the attention to detail is incredible. The only thing I really want to know though is, can you find Danielle Sho's corpse outside in space? I want to get into that door in I.T. but can't find the card for it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ithle01 posted:

I want to get into that door in I.T. but can't find the card for it.

You have to take a slightly different path through the game if you want to get behind that door. Dahl unlocks it for you if you guys are buddies working together.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GlyphGryph posted:

Dahl unlocks it for you if you guys are buddies working together.

gently caress that guy, I let him die.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

You have to take a slightly different path through the game if you want to get behind that door. Dahl unlocks it for you if you guys are buddies working together.

Huh, I saved him and got the shuttle up and working, didn't know you could be friends with him though. Looks like there's more going on than I thought. Definitely need to do another playthrough, but I need a break first. This game has been the subject of too many dreams in the last week and that's probably a sign I need to cool down a bit.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ithle01 posted:

Huh, I saved him and got the shuttle up and working, didn't know you could be friends with him though. Looks like there's more going on than I thought. Definitely need to do another playthrough, but I need a break first. This game has been the subject of too many dreams in the last week and that's probably a sign I need to cool down a bit.

A true friend of Dahl wouldn't wipe his mind.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

You need to become his friend well before that point in the game, such that he's never working at cross purposes to you. Think of why he's come to the station and that should point you in the right direction.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

You need to become his friend well before that point in the game, such that he's never working at cross purposes to you. Think of why he's come to the station and that should point you in the right direction.

oh. Ohhhhhhhhh.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I think I know what you mean and why he unlocks the room with four people in it for you.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ithle01 posted:

I think I know what you mean and why he unlocks the room with four people in it for you.

What a nice guy, helping like that.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
While you can't get into that room any other way, you can actually get the staff inside marked as discovered in a normal playthrough by crouchsliding at the locked door until the quest markers tick off.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Any tips for the end game? the loving military operators are crushing me.
Stun gun + wrench. If you have something else to give you an edge (Like the slow time thing), even better.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you go for KASPAR first is there really that many times you need to deal with the military operators? After all, you don't need to go through any further exploration.

1. At the start when they first show up. Punt yourself into space ASAP.
2. Rush to Data Storage to deactivate tracking.
3. Rush to D's shuttle to get their locations (oopsies if you haven't been here earlier in the game, I guess). Run past everything.
4. Run to KASPAR, knock him dead.
5. Run to D outside the arboretum.

I think that's the rough order of things, but in terms of dealing with them that's about it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

bewilderment posted:

If you go for KASPAR first is there really that many times you need to deal with the military operators? After all, you don't need to go through any further exploration.
I spent a good deal of time trying to find a way out of the ship so I could wrench the monster out there. No luck.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How do you scan the Apex? January say not to, but now I really, REALLY need to?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

A.o.D. posted:

How do you scan the Apex? January say not to, but now I really, REALLY need to?

Uh, put on psychoscope, point it at thing?

I did it in the Arboretum, right when it arrives. It basically put me at 1HP and applied Fear, and that's it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The point you need to aim at is a bit counter-intuitive. It's not (what I think is) its head, but iirc you aim at the chest/upper arms - a point half-way between the station and its head (I'm assuming that the part with yellow lights are the eyes/mouth)

the arboretum is the best place to do it because there are few obstacles obscuring your view

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That's odd, given you can't scan anything else through glass. Singleplayer games threads are an open-spoiler zone, so those black covers aren't really needed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dominoes posted:

That's odd, given you can't scan anything else through glass. Singleplayer games threads are an open-spoiler zone, so those black covers aren't really needed.

?? You can scan the phantoms in the imprisoned pods in psychotronics and I def. scanned several enemies through glass - mimics in the labs, technopath looking at you in the GUTS and peeping through other windows. Hell, I scanned the nightmare when it gets revealed the first time through the door in arboretum. There is no rule that says glass blocks scans.

I'm spoilering 'cause there are still new people playing the game and finding the thread and stuff about endgame is better discovered on your own.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I stand corrected.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
If you think you need a high Leverage skill to move a heavy object out of your way, you're wrong. Apart from a couple of 'un-powered doors.' You only need a recycler grenade, you can compost anything you can pick up. Not new information to the thread, but worth repeating.

I didn't pick up most of the food I found, but I did carry a banana around. I would drop the banana, then turn into a banana, then slip through tiny openings. I would dare say that this game is more fun without any Hacking or Repairing - there's almost always a way to GLOO-jump or banana yourself into restricted areas.

Also repeating that the best way to deal with Cystoid piles is by shooting at them with the Huntress Boltcaster nerf gun. The GLOO gun also works, but not quite as well. Throwing stuff at them also works, but sometimes when you're in space you don't have any good poo poo on hand to chuck.

Great game. I liked the ending, and it was adequately foreshadowed.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 11, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You should be picking up all the food you find so you can recycle it. It adds up yo a surprising amount of mats of various types by the end of the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I skipped the "extra organs" neuromods on my first playthrough and I'm just about to hit dahl on my 2nd and have approximately 40 more neuromods on this file than my completed game. It doesn't seem amazing right away but it absolutely makes a difference.

I recycle all the processed food for minerals and save the organic food for healing items. There's a surprising amount of metal in the chips and cookies, neat converting it into bullets.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Finally finished this after putting it off for a long loving time. Very happy that my hypothesis about "the truth" was proven. Tbh there is that one line when you finish the December mission which leads to Alex saying something like "try it again" which made me think Alex was a Typhon clone all along but I kept second-guessing in the end. I love the themes of identity and cascading this against true self, preservation, humanity, etc and the way you're lied to reminded me of things like Bioshock or even MGS2 in a lot of ways. Combat and exploration were frantic and hurried in the last leg of the game but at 25 hours I did a lot by then and didn't mind too much about mad sprints to finish things up. Definitely one of my favorites of the year; I'm sad Colantonio left but this was a great swan song to leave Arkane with.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GlyphGryph posted:

You should be picking up everything you find so you can recycle it. It adds up yo a surprising amount of mats of various types by the end of the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The only thing making my no-needles max-difficulty playthrough difficult is the tiny, tiny inventory

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The best way to cope is to throw away your pistol, Q-beam, and crossbow.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

well yeah don't carry the crossbow and just re-craft it the few times that I need it, but the pistol is an extremely good and important weapon

the q-beam I carry between areas until I find something big, then I go and fetch it

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

QuarkJets posted:

well yeah don't carry the crossbow and just re-craft it the few times that I need it, but the pistol is an extremely good and important weapon

the q-beam I carry between areas until I find something big, then I go and fetch it

When did you need the crossbow? I never once used it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the darts trigger cyst nests and cysts will go after the darts when shot near them. Also some doors/computers can be opened by shooting darts at buttons.

It's a surprisingly useful tool for a joke weapon

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 14, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Huntress would be a god-send in a lot of stealth games. Think of the coin in Hitman or the rock in Horizon: Zero Dawn.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's like if the coin from Hitman could also unlock doors from far away

Also the bathroom in my new office is right next to the elevators now, and if the elevators are moving it makes the exact same ambient scary music that plays whenever enemies are around but nothing's happened yet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Opening doors is so pedestrian. Real pros just download area maps and activate tracking bracelets directly from the document slot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like double nine said, if you're doing a no neuromods run (aka No Needles) then the crossbow can be used to open a few rooms by shooting little foam darts at computer screens or door buttons to activate them.

For cyst nests I just lob a typhon lure but the darts work there, too

Speaking of, I finished my No Needles run and to celebrate and I'm doing a doomguy human-powers-only run because those mods are so drat good :banjo:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

QuarkJets posted:

Speaking of, I finished my No Needles run and to celebrate and I'm doing a doomguy human-powers-only run because those mods are so drat good :banjo:

Human only was my first and only run to date and I enjoyed it! My plan is to do the no needles and typhon only runs at some later point. Pop combat focus and kill everything in three shotgun blasts or go hog wild with your wrench or throw file cabinets at them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

QuarkJets posted:

How the heck could you do that? Don't you NEED to inject at least one at the start of the game?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Samovar posted:

How the heck could you do that? Don't you NEED to inject at least one at the start of the game?

You don't ever need to inject anything. January tells you to mod up as soon as you leave the simulation but you don't have to. You don't even have to pick up the neuromod. Also, there's an achievement for beating the game this way

Once you decide to never mod up the game becomes a lot simpler. You have a suite of weapons and machines that convert garbage into ammo and health. Neuromods, psi hypos, spare parts, and weapon upgrade kits are now quality garbage. Granted, you want to grab that 1st level of upgrades for all of your weapons, but I was able to do that before leaving hardware labs (where I fabricrted a bunch of weapon mods so that I'd never have to worry about picking up weapon mods again)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think he's talking about the one in the actual simulation right at the start. IIRC it won't let you leave your room until you pop it. It doesn't count though, because there's nothing in it, you just stab yourself in the eye for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wafflecopper posted:

I think he's talking about the one in the actual simulation right at the start. IIRC it won't let you leave your room until you pop it. It doesn't count though, because there's nothing in it, you just stab yourself in the eye for no reason
You don't take any neuromods at the start of the game. Allegedly you took one the night before, though.