Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Tony Snark posted:

Could be worse, they could have gone with something like Schreck(en?) Billy. Just imagine the crossover fanart for that.

im sorry hitler, but your third reich is ogre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Going back to the DLC, I think Joseph Stallion is (of course) a reference to Joseph Stalin- what about the other two? Doesn't seem to have any connection to Churchill or Roosevelt as far as I can see.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So I finished a fresh playthrough of Wolfenstein The New Order for the first time since around release. Some random thoughts from a deranged person who has played every post Wolf3D game over 20 times:

- :argh: the shotgun soldiers on Uber. Even with all upgrades there's a couple of sections where they come out of nowhere and you'll get instakilled.
- I can forgive the lack of giant mecha doggos as regular enemies but the robots are barely used in combat despite featuring heavily in advertising and having a cool design. It's also way too easy to cheese the handful of fights against them (including the boss fight in London Nautica) by stunning them with a grenade and shooting them once in the back.
- Those flying drone enemies are barely used either. It seems to be a Wolfenstein tradition to have neat regular enemies that are only used like half a dozen times during the whole campaign, Wolfenstein09 is full of them.
- Hopefully the sequel will stop removing almost every weapon in your arsenal between levels and be more generous with ammo for weapons that aren't the assault rifles. You don't get too many chances to use the shotgun until the final few levels of the game and regular ammo for it is lacking even then.
- The animations for recharging the energy weapons really should've been sped up more.
- The lockpicking/hotwiring minigames should've been available regardless of who you save at the beginning. They barely change anything.
- There's a bizarre hidden upgrade for the Laser weapon in the return to London Nautica level and seemingly it only appears in Wyatt's timeline. It only slightly increases your ammo so you can fire one more shot. :wtc: I have no idea what the deal with it is (development oversight?) and there's not even a tutorial when you pick it up.
- This one bothered me since the first time I played the game: you never get a sense of how big the Kreisau Circle is. The hub level makes it look like what's left is a dozen people at most but later events in the game seem to imply there's a lot more? How did they last so long while BJ and Klaus were driving back to Berlin at the end of the game?
- The music for the final level is way too good for something that's barely audible unless you're wearing headphones.
- The final 20 minutes of the game are still as weird as ever with BJ getting poisoned, almost shrugging it off, nearly passing out in front of Anya & the others while they don't care much, then he's immediately ok afterwards and that plot point is forgotten? Feels like something was cut there. The pacing of the game feels weird at times (that absurdly brief U-boat level).
- I still think BJ and Deathshead killing each other was a fitting conclusion for their conflict (and the game's tone) and would've preferred The New Colossus to star any character from those announced DLC pieces instead.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I think the later levels suffered from cuts at the end of development, you see this in a lot of AAA/AA-games.
The music is a really good point, the TNO soundtrack is amazing, just like DOOM's, and they made a good choice by pumping up the audio volume in DOOM compared to TNO.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Samopsa posted:

I think the later levels suffered from cuts at the end of development, you see this in a lot of AAA/AA-games.
The music is a really good point, the TNO soundtrack is amazing, just like DOOM's, and they made a good choice by pumping up the audio volume in DOOM compared to TNO.

Considering the research that shows just how little people actually finish games I don't blame a company putting a ton of effort into the front half of a game and then kind of dwindling towards the end.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Samopsa posted:

Mick Gordon is well on his way to surpass Frank Klepacki as my favourite video game music composer.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A few of the unused variations of certain tracks are great, and have worked their way onto my phone. The ambient music is fantastic.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wonder if they'll use the Joseph Stallion DLC to do their original vision of the Moon level in TNO. From what I've gathered since release from unused audio files, art concepts, hearsay and extrapolation (that 1 minute long outdoor area with 3 flying enemies) it originally had you fighting actual jetpack Nazis on the moon surface and at some point you'd have driven a moon rover.

On the plus side, some of the things cut in TNO were also more fetch quests during the Kreisau Circle levels.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

GUI posted:

Wonder if they'll use the Joseph Stallion DLC to do their original vision of the Moon level in TNO. From what I've gathered since release from unused audio files, art concepts, hearsay and extrapolation (that 1 minute long outdoor area with 3 flying enemies) it originally had you fighting actual jetpack Nazis on the moon surface and at some point you'd have driven a moon rover.

On the plus side, some of the things cut in TNO were also more fetch quests during the Kreisau Circle levels.

I remember we had somebody from MachineGames in the previous TNO thread talking about his work on lunar level. IIRC, it was going to be far more expansive and would involve BJ driving to various little bases on the lunar surface in the rover to do whatever. According to him, the big problem was that they couldn't figure out how to make the rover fun; when you drove it under lunar gravity, hitting a rock too fast would launch you into the air, and while the problem was resolved by setting the gravity of the level to Earth standard, it just made the whole experience seem ridiculous. Apparently they could have figured out some workable compromise with enough time, but time was at a premium for TNO so they ultimately scrapped it.

Come to think of, I suppose that's why all the lunar habitats had some sort of unacknowledged artificial gravity system. Aside from the real-life problems human bodies have with extended exposure to low-gravity environments, it probably wouldn't have been much fun to be bouncing off the walls trying to shoot bouncing Nazis in those little habitats.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 14, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Marshal Radisic posted:

it probably wouldn't have been much fun to be bouncing off the walls trying to shoot bouncing Nazis in those little habitats.

Counterpoint: the opening train station level in Wolf09 where the gravity goes all crazy was awesome and hilarious.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

As much as I love TNO and the Moon Base level. Not being able to gently caress up various nazis on the lunar surface in gratuitous horrible fashion was a huge missed opportunity.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Yeah, you fight a grand total of what, four drones on the lunar surface?
Making nazis fly off into space would've been so great.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The problem with fighting on the moon with moon gravity is a lot of the mobility you rely on in a twitch shooter is gone and it would be a little frustrating getting shot over and over. The entire section would boil down to constant trial and error, or slowing to a crawl so you could check around every corner and look in every crater without putting yourself out in the open. I could see why they nixed it.

They haven't really elaborated how long these DLC episodes will be so it may be a little premature to think it's going to right all of TNO's wrongs or that we'll be spending any longer on the moon. They sound cool though and I can't wait to see what the runs of Chicago look like.

Also, this gif made me realize that weird looking cat at the beginning of the reveal trailer is actually a cat's head grafted onto a monkey's body.
https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/895011749010837504

What the gently caress is going on in that sub?

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 13, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nazis. Nazis are going on in that sub.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thread title getting better every day

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a thought about aesthetics and Wolfenstein. Despite beginning as a WW2 shooter, Wolf has never really felt like an actual WW2 game. It has the really weird mix of super science, medieval castles and contemporary 1940s firearms, but beyond that the only thing that makes it WW2 is the Nazis.

I wonder how America will look and fit in with the Wolfenstein art style, since North America isn't exactly known for big medieval castles or occult zombies. The game will definitely veer onto the Super Science robots approach that New Order has, but Old Blood was such a wonderful mashup of their megastructures and spooky ghosts stuff from the earlier games that I want more of it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping there's a city of super concrete that is just art deco as gently caress. I mean, they'd have to basically remake the place now that they're apparently moving into the US and trying to turn it into Germany right down to the language.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That'd be fun to see. Neu Jork von die asche werden!

What's anyone's favourite level from New Order and Old Blood? For TNO, my favourite is probably both of the London Nautica missions, while for Old Blood, it's probably the section of Wolfenstein Keep which starts off with the Ubersoldier ambushing you in the great hall.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I haven't watched any of the published footage of the early stages of the game but from other other promo stuff we can surmise that the Nazi's are slowly rebuilding America in their image. A large swath of New Orleans appears to be abandoned (did the war destroy it? was it from natural disasters? or were the original residents just forced out?) and a number of other places sound like they're also in bad shape, but we can see there's a lot of those concrete superblocks being built around in a similar vein to Berlin. Rosewell looks like bizarro small town and we can probably surmise places like New York City have to be completely rebuilt after being bombed. I suspect people are being pushed out of the older structures and neighbourhoods and forced to move into newer ones for whatever reason.

I also doubt there'd be much Art Deco in this new world (yet another reason to kill the Nazi's as far as I'm concerned) seeing as how Hitler was a great artist and all he was very, very opinionated about what was and wasn't acceptable. Most 'modern' design and artistic aesthetics from the early 20th century was eventually labeled degenerate under Nazi rule, and either hidden from view or destroyed. Der Fuhrer had a particular fondness for Greco-Roman designs while others had a hardon for their Gothic Revival self-insertion fanfic so I imagine that'd be most of what see in the 'new' parts of the country.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 13, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I had a thought about aesthetics and Wolfenstein. Despite beginning as a WW2 shooter, Wolf has never really felt like an actual WW2 game. It has the really weird mix of super science, medieval castles and contemporary 1940s firearms, but beyond that the only thing that makes it WW2 is the Nazis.

I wonder how America will look and fit in with the Wolfenstein art style, since North America isn't exactly known for big medieval castles or occult zombies. The game will definitely veer onto the Super Science robots approach that New Order has, but Old Blood was such a wonderful mashup of their megastructures and spooky ghosts stuff from the earlier games that I want more of it.

If you haven't played Wolf '09 you need to. There's tons of stuff like that. RtCW as well, but '09 has some of my favorite level designs in the franchise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The problem with fighting on the moon with moon gravity is a lot of the mobility you rely on in a twitch shooter is gone and it would be a little frustrating getting shot over and over. The entire section would boil down to constant trial and error, or slowing to a crawl so you could check around every corner and look in every crater without putting yourself out in the open. I could see why they nixed it.

They haven't really elaborated how long these DLC episodes will be so it may be a little premature to think it's going to right all of TNO's wrongs or that we'll be spending any longer on the moon. They sound cool though and I can't wait to see what the runs of Chicago look like.

Also, this gif made me realize that weird looking cat at the beginning of the reveal trailer is actually a cat's head grafted onto a monkey's body.
https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/895011749010837504

What the gently caress is going on in that sub?

I guess that certainly lends some credence to the "BJ getting a new body" stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Humerus posted:

If you haven't played Wolf '09 you need to. There's tons of stuff like that. RtCW as well, but '09 has some of my favorite level designs in the franchise.

That's because Raven Software was staffed by crazy people who had very *interesting* ideas with regards to level design. Their levels aren't exactly bullet maze corridors, but more "here is your end point, figure it out as you go along". I remember how baffling some of their level design was in the Jedi Knight 2 and Academy games was, to the point where they made fun of it ingame. At one point, Kyle Katarn reckons that a keycard to get to one section of the base will naturally be found three stories down on the far end in the pocket of an officer who for no logical reason is stationed in a service closet.

That sort of level design really vanished for a while after Raven was swallowed whole by Activision, and only the new Wolfenstein and DOOM games come close to their bizarre style.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I'm hoping there's a city of super concrete that is just art deco as gently caress. I mean, they'd have to basically remake the place now that they're apparently moving into the US and trying to turn it into Germany right down to the language.

There are newspapers in TNO that talk about what's happened to the US, I'm pretty sure big chunks of it were bombed and rebuilt in the Nazi image.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's because Raven Software was staffed by crazy people who had very *interesting* ideas with regards to level design. Their levels aren't exactly bullet maze corridors, but more "here is your end point, figure it out as you go along". I remember how baffling some of their level design was in the Jedi Knight 2 and Academy games was, to the point where they made fun of it ingame. At one point, Kyle Katarn reckons that a keycard to get to one section of the base will naturally be found three stories down on the far end in the pocket of an officer who for no logical reason is stationed in a service closet.

That sort of level design really vanished for a while after Raven was swallowed whole by Activision, and only the new Wolfenstein and DOOM games come close to their bizarre style.

For those that liked Wolf09, Raven Software's spiritual follow-up "Singularity" was loving great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenomrph posted:

For those that liked Wolf09, Raven Software's spiritual follow-up "Singularity" was loving great.

I just didn't much care for it. Some of the weirder weapons were cool, but you pretty much only got them in very specific, scripted instances, otherwise you were stuck with a standard console-shooter arsenal, and I didn't find the powers and enemies as fun to use and fight as they should have been. I think I played Wolf09 and Singularity around the same time and I much preferred the former.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mordja posted:

I just didn't much care for it. Some of the weirder weapons were cool, but you pretty much only got them in very specific, scripted instances, otherwise you were stuck with a standard console-shooter arsenal, and I didn't find the powers and enemies as fun to use and fight as they should have been. I think I played Wolf09 and Singularity around the same time and I much preferred the former.

this. its wasnt bad, but it feel like most of the game was probably on the cutting room floor(much like bio infinite) and they took various things from the different development phases and stuck them together. also the world/enemies never really gel well together. like in wolfenstein 09 and new order, hell in all the bioshock games, most of the enemies feel like they are part of the world. singularity never felt that way. to many giant monsters and glowing things. idk.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I haven't watched any of the published footage of the early stages of the game but from other other promo stuff we can surmise that the Nazi's are slowly rebuilding America in their image. A large swath of New Orleans appears to be abandoned (did the war destroy it? was it from natural disasters? or were the original residents just forced out?) and a number of other places sound like they're also in bad shape, but we can see there's a lot of those concrete superblocks being built around in a similar vein to Berlin. Rosewell looks like bizarro small town and we can probably surmise places like New York City have to be completely rebuilt after being bombed. I suspect people are being pushed out of the older structures and neighbourhoods and forced to move into newer ones for whatever reason.

I also doubt there'd be much Art Deco in this new world (yet another reason to kill the Nazi's as far as I'm concerned) seeing as how Hitler was a great artist and all he was very, very opinionated about what was and wasn't acceptable. Most 'modern' design and artistic aesthetics from the early 20th century was eventually labeled degenerate under Nazi rule, and either hidden from view or destroyed. Der Fuhrer had a particular fondness for Greco-Roman designs while others had a hardon for their Gothic Revival self-insertion fanfic so I imagine that'd be most of what see in the 'new' parts of the country.

well it seems to me that the only place that got super hosed up was new york, since it got nuked and is apperently still a wasteland as an example. from some of the conversations in the demos(the nazis getting mad about tolerant left) talk about taking part in death squad missions to new Orleans, which leads me to believe that its probaly a refuge for minorities and dissidents(i think the leftist preacher lives there) they also brought slavery back and it seems the south is "doing well" under the nazis.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Singularity's development was atrocious and the game came close to being canceled at one point when an Activision rep visited Raven to check on the progress. They could barely get the game running on PS3/360 so it was completely overhauled within a year of release which is impressive.

You can find a couple of videos of the early versions from a year before release online. It originally had third person cutscenes with a voiced main character/different plot/no weapon limit/different environments and characters among other things.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Finally finished my most recent replay of TNO last night, and the game is just as good the second time around. I do echo the statements of some in here that they needed to be more generous with the weapons, since it really sucks when you're on that second playthrough with all the upgrades and you can't even find rocket ammo for the AR reliably until after Gibraltar. But beyond that, it never gets old, even if you are using dual wield AR and the LKW most the game.

To continue the Raven derail, they have made some of my favorite FPS games of all time. Hexen,; Jedi Knight II: Outcast and III: Jedi Academy which are both still the best Jedi simulator games ever made; and Quake 4 which was damned solid and the Stroggification part sticks with me today.

Of course Wolf09 is amazing.

fake edit: I double checked and I never knew that Raven made the X-Men Legends games, which are among my favorite hack and slash rpgs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still not entirely sold on wolf09. TNO raised the bar for presentation by hiring actual German speaking actors so it's hard going back to zee accents of der amerikaners pretending to be German. I also find the aiming controls a bit too sluggish even when I tweak the mouse sensitivity, and I've never liked the vagueness of regenerating health that doesn't have a health bar to signify just how badly I've been hit. It feels like a game with old school design sensibilities tried to merge with new game features at the time, but it lacks the polish that New Order has attempting the same thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's an interesting line to balance. Like the bizarreness of the levels in say the original DOOM or in Heretic wasn't a weird or bad thing because everything was so abstracted due to that technology they were working with. But in the late 90s we got these other shooters like Jedi Knight/etc. where the graphics were good enough to make a realistic looking "humans would actually function and walk around and work in this place" type of locations, but still filled with weird secret areas and alcoves and odd ways of getting around them. Jedi Knight 2 is such a great example of that too, like if you had the same level with DOOM graphics you wouldn't even bat an eye, but because the locations are so much more convincing it makes the logic of where the keys are placed and the little shortcuts FPS tend to reveal after you grab a key/etc. stand out more as faults, and it's something that has to be taken into account on top of already trying to give a level (even a mazey DOOM style level) a good flow and pacing about where the player can go or where they should be looking next.

I actually didn't mind Wolfenstein '09 having zee German accents because hell it's Wolfenstein. Like the tone of the series was completely different before The New Order which is just one of the raddest games all around. Wolfenstein before that was built around "obliterate Nazis" first and everything else a distance second. Return to Castle Wolfstein is awesome for its time but even Wolfenstein '09 is a huge step up from that, and then TNO blows Wolf09 away in a lot of ways on top of that. But it doesn't totally obsolete 09 because 09 really goes all in with the occult Weird War II stuff in a way unique for the Wolfenstein series.

I kind of wish RAGE was made now instead of in 2010. I know the iD of today is substantially different but it's a shame that game is so gutted and incomplete feeling. It would have been cool to see that game made with the full brunt of Bethesda behind it and letting them do whatever they want instead of the way more convoluted production it got.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 14, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If the mouse aiming in Wolf09 feels weird it's because the game is an obvious console port and the horizontal/vertical aiming have different values by default. You have to edit one of the ini files to fix it iirc.

Edit: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Wolfenstein#Input_settings

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GUI posted:

Singularity's development was atrocious and the game came close to being canceled at one point when an Activision rep visited Raven to check on the progress. They could barely get the game running on PS3/360 so it was completely overhauled within a year of release which is impressive.

You can find a couple of videos of the early versions from a year before release online. It originally had third person cutscenes with a voiced main character/different plot/no weapon limit/different environments and characters among other things.

thats what i heard too. same timeshift apperently. that game was supposed to have this detailed story line and poo poo but none of it happens. you get some vaugue cutscenes and some half tossed together thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what i heard too. same timeshift apperently. that game was supposed to have this detailed story line and poo poo but none of it happens. you get some vaugue cutscenes and some half tossed together thing.

Timeshift was remade, practically from scratch. It was originally this weird, retro-futurist thing they even released a demo for, before delaying and rebuilding it into a generic sci-fi setting.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

GUI posted:

- I still think BJ and Deathshead killing each other was a fitting conclusion for their conflict (and the game's tone) and would've preferred The New Colossus to star any character from those announced DLC pieces instead.

I don't know man, a mainline Wolfenstein game where you don't play as BJ is like a DOOM game where you don't play as the Doomguy: It just doesn't feel right.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't know man, a mainline Wolfenstein game where you don't play as BJ is like a DOOM game where you don't play as the Doomguy: It just doesn't feel right.

Future Wolfenstein game starring the daughter of BJ and Anya, Billie Jean Blazkowicz, has been wished a few times in past threads.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Future Wolfenstein game starring the daughter of BJ and Anya, Billie Jean Blazkowicz, has been wished a few times in past threads.

Nazi killing runs in the family. :La-li-lu-le-lo:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm still not entirely sold on wolf09. TNO raised the bar for presentation by hiring actual German speaking actors so it's hard going back to zee accents of der amerikaners pretending to be German. I also find the aiming controls a bit too sluggish even when I tweak the mouse sensitivity, and I've never liked the vagueness of regenerating health that doesn't have a health bar to signify just how badly I've been hit. It feels like a game with old school design sensibilities tried to merge with new game features at the time, but it lacks the polish that New Order has attempting the same thing.
It also may give you a game-breaking glitch where the game crashes and corrupts your saves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

Timeshift was remade, practically from scratch. It was originally this weird, retro-futurist thing they even released a demo for, before delaying and rebuilding it into a generic sci-fi setting.

apparently its still supposed to be in that past or something idk. i found my copy in my closet and its backwards compatible. ill look it over again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

agreed but i wouldnt have minded a spin off game with anya or some poo poo. i do like all the dlc character names, they sound like exploitation/pulp dime novel names. which fits with the games great but weird tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

kefkafloyd posted:

That could work. Though it begs the question, how were there any nazis left to kill after BJ stops?