Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Manticore posted:

I've seen fixes for the d-pad that involve opening the controller up and putting scotch tape over parts of the contacts or inserting small bits of cardboard under the center pivot, so I think it's just poorly designed!

:agreed:

I've owned and used controllers since the OG NES and I've had bad dpads or dpads that just feel poo poo, but the pro controller is the first one that's had a D-Pad where I can push right and get an up input. I'm open to the idea that I hit the buttons different than other people, but the above plus hearing some people having the opposite "down" problem really screams poo poo manufacturing QA to me more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lelandjs posted:

Finally, B-K and SM64 were among the first 3D platformers, but a lot of the gameplay (or all, in B-K's case) was simply jumping around the levels looking for things (a chore, despite how unique and new the environments were). Now, with a little bit of tweaking and updating, their formula can be good (Odyssey looks promising) but when they're simply remade with a modern engine (Crash Bandicoot, Yuka-Laylee) the faults really start to show

I get the rest of your point (that old games have flaws that people shouldn't be afraid to look at), but I don't think you're right on these ones. The problems with SM64/BK aren't because there's some inherit problem with jumping + looking for things. It's more about camera systems, or obnoxious level designs, or awkward gameplay designs (like exiting a level for every star). Execution things that over time have been refined. The base idea of jumping around and looking for poo poo has been around forever since like....Metroid and was fine back then.

The Crash remakes are mostly fine too, the biggest problem is just the different programming they did on jumps that makes Crash 1 tighter than it used to be. Yooka-Laylee has issues, but it's not because of the base formula of collectathons; it's because there's a problem in the way Rare made those games that other platformers don't have.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mario 64 is still great

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

http://mynintendo.com/point/expiration

Tells you when they're about to. Platinum expire REALLY quickly as I found out when I logged in and suddenly had 0. I wish they would warn you because I'd rather have a dumb little wallpaper than absolutely nothing.

Speaking of My Nintendo stuff expiring... I have Gold Coins to use and nothing looks appealing, but those Pikmin 3 DLC packs expire this month. Are those worth getting? My coins won't expire until at least next March, but I have no hope in then releasing anything good until then. Or I'll buy the Pikmin DLC with them and then they'll do something stupid, like sell SNES Classics on My Nintendo for 150 Gold Coins.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
what, new sonic is good? what is happening? is this real?

i might buy it?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

i might buy it?

Of course it's good, it's not made by sega

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Vikar Jerome posted:

i might buy it?

its bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bad thing good?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Sonic has forever, been rear end.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The Bloop posted:

bad thing good?

Bad as in Michael Jackson Bad :cool:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm buying the sonic game

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sonic has forever, been rear end.

True fact

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's not on the EU store yet :f5:

I'll probably just grab it in the morning.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

irlZaphod posted:

It's not on the EU store yet :f5:

I'll probably just grab it in the morning.

Yes it is, look again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

man nurse posted:

I'm buying the sonic game

:yeah:

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

LethalGeek posted:

This is what keeps happening to me in blaster master for example. I am not touching Up at all and yet you can see how the game is responding.

You're absolutely not pressing the upper corner of the right or left button on the dpad with a decent amount of force when this happens? It never happens to me on accident. I can force it to happen though if I forcibly press just the corner of a button. I can make it happen with the down arrow too, but only if I firmly press the absolute corner of the button or roll my finger into it instead of just pressing the button.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

rogue wave posted:

You're absolutely not pressing the upper corner of the right or left button on the dpad with a decent amount of force when this happens? It never happens to me on accident. I can force it to happen though if I forcibly press just the corner of a button. I can make it happen with the down arrow too, but only if I firmly press the absolute corner of the button or roll my finger into it instead of just pressing the button.

It happens by accident all the time cause I just push the button in some semi random spot each time and sometimes I land in the top right yes. This has never happened to me even with the dinky rear end gamecube dpad, it's just a bad design. The middle isn't pivoted enough.

For real I've been playing Nintendo consoles for 30 years I know how to D pad, the problem isn't me lol

double edit vvv do you own stock in Nintendo or something cause this is some true nonsense defense right here.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 14, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Mine does this if I press right but roll towards up, even though my thumb appears to be in the same position. If I firmly press right it works fine.

This is exactly what is actually happening. It is possible it's worse with some controllers but it's also very likely it has to to with how people are pressing the button. I'm not saying it couldn't have been designed better. You shouldn't be able to force it to miss-click and it ought to help people out more who press buttons in the corners instead of just dead on. Maybe they will indeed make an improved controller for people with less precision in their button pressing if the complaints keep stacking up enough.

What I'm really saying is that the problem is clearly both with the controller and with where people are pressing. You ought to be able to press any part of the button you want to - I agree with you. I'm just saying you can press it more accurately and this won't happen to you anymore.

Oh poo poo, another demo is out for the US store. It's for Rayman Legends. The demos have all been pretty awesome so far.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 14, 2017

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Is it news that the Rayman demo is up on the US eShop?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

rogue wave posted:

What I'm really saying is that the problem is clearly both with the controller and with where people are pressing. You ought to be able to press any part of the button you want to - I agree with you. I'm just saying you can press it more accurately and this won't happen to you anymore.
and I'm saying this has never happened before because all the other pads were designed better. Somehow you're trying to act like I've suddenly forgotten how to play a video game instead of just going Nintendo Screwed Up. Just like the 360 pad was a piece of crap too.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

The game isn't out until September 12th. Do we normally get demos before the games? All the ones I had seen previously were for games you could download right now.

Edit: I have repeatedly agreed with you people that the design is flawed. I can't help it if you've been pressing buttons half assed your whole life on top of better dpads. I've figured out how to play just fine on my defective pad that you still seem to be struggling with. I sympathize with you. I really do. I'll buy the better pad when it comes out too. I'm just glad I'm not stuck pressing the sides of buttons in the meantime.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 14, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"It's not Nintendo fault you just need to get better, obviously" :smuggo:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please stop getting weird and condescending re: the bad dpad

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I knew Sonic Mania would be good the moment I saw who was involved. The people involved are Sonic romhackers with an insane attention to detail that know the classic games better than the people that originally made them.

I can't wait.:holy:

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

The d pad for sure sucks. I'm just saying you can just not press the sides of the buttons in the mean time.

It seems like the Rayman demo can only be downloaded from the link in the news app. You can't search for it on the e-store.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 14, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I knew Sonic Mania would be good the moment I saw who was involved. The people involved are Sonic romhackers with an insane attention to detail that know the classic games better than the people that originally made them.

I can't wait.:holy:

It's still amazing how after all these years Sonic Team Japan is still incompetent. People have been shittalking them since the Sonic 2/CD schism and to this day they're still getting shown up by America.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

rogue wave posted:

The d pad for sure sucks. I'm just saying you can just not press the sides of the buttons in the mean time.

It seems like the Rayman demo can only be downloaded from the link in the news app. You can't search for it on the e-store.

It's a coming release (the Switch eShop is bad)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rexroom posted:

Yes it is, look again.
Still showing under Coming Soon for me. Anyone in UK or Ireland seeing it available? I see Amppelix on my Friends list is playing it for 40 minutes. :argh:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The dpad is good and I'm going to play Sonic Mania with it in exactly 7 hours.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

This demo is really cool so far. I won't bring up the dpad again. It wasn't really my intention to defend it so much as to make the best of a bad situation. I was definitely teasing people who seem to hit the sides more often than square on, but for real - there should be no reason for that to not work just as well as a dead on press. We all know that. It's obvious. It's more likely people are simply pressing the buttons differently than there being a certain percentage of extra defective controllers. It doesn't make anyone better or worse as players though. It's just weird that they dropped the ball here when the rest of the controller is on point. That's my final word on it. I swear.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 14, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Still showing under Coming Soon for me. Anyone in UK or Ireland seeing it available? I see Amppelix on my Friends list is playing it for 40 minutes. :argh:

Not yet. Troll and I is out now though!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

rogue wave posted:

This demo is really cool so far.

It's a great game. Do we know what they added to this new version that makes it "definitive"?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When does Sonic Mania show up on the NA PST E-shop? Anyone know?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Turtlicious posted:

When does Sonic Mania show up on the NA PST E-shop? Anyone know?
9pm

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I'm not sure what the definitive bit is yet, but holy hell just when I thought the demo was maybe finished it revealed a bunch more depth - at least to someone who has never played the game before. There appears to be some ability to choose other players, levels and gameplay modes by the jumping into various picture frames after you beat the first gorgeous level. There's King Foot, Murfy's Touch, Teenises in Trouble, Toad Story, and Castle Rock, which are all playable in this demo. Teensies in Trouble is the first one you experience when you fire it up. There's seven playable heroes and one to unlock in the Heroes painting. This is some polished, fun poo poo. It's amazing it's not 50-60 bucks. It's even got couch co-op with up to 4 players in the demo? Hot drat.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 14, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Another cool thing thing about Rayman Legends is it includes almost every single level from Rayman Origins.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

For the record I can't recreate that situation so it may have been fixed in later batches

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know what's coming out tomorrow?

Phone posting here.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know what's coming out tomorrow?

Phone posting here.
A new 2D Sonic game that's supposed to be very true to the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anything else?

• Locked thread