Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

bloom posted:

The problem really is that she, and possibly the show, is trying to portray herself as a better than the previous ruling class. If she just rolled up with the dragons and went "nice continent, hand it over or else" it would make total sense. Giving fancy speeches about breaking the wheel and then burning people alive is going to raise a few eyebrows.

Most eyebrow raising to me is that her huge speech about breaking chains and derailing the wheel got maybe three people kneeling, but "kneel or die" got about half of the crowd. Then proving that with dragons got everyone bending that knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I was sad that they never mentioned that the Tarlys stood with her father. Thought that would've counted for something.
Yeah. It wasn't just "the Tarlys" either, it was that Tarly in particular!

He won one of the few loyalist victories to boot IIRC.

Burning them was entirely unnecessary. Edmure Tully spent years as a hostage on the show, so the "but they don't have the facilities for long term incarceration!" line of reasoning isn't really valid.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Or the Stark lady could have said hey thanks for arranging a marriage for me but I think I will marry the crown price, later haters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Yeah. It wasn't just "the Tarlys" either, it was that Tarly in particular!

He won one of the few loyalist victories to boot IIRC.

Burning them was entirely unnecessary. Edmure Tully spent years as a hostage on the show, so the "but they don't have the facilities for long term incarceration!" line of reasoning isn't really valid.

She doesn’t want prisoners that can continue living and hating her and showing everyone else they can just refuse her and go to jail. She wants everyone to follow her.

Or burn.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tooterfish posted:

Robert didn't start the rebellion. Jon Arryn started the rebellion because the king demanded he behead his two wards, men who were like his sons, for the crime of being related to the people he'd just tortured to death.

I'd say it was still Robert that started it. If he had just recognized that he had lost Lyanna to Rhaegar and not fought to try to keep her, everything would have been avoided.

He says that Rhaegar kidnapped her, but I think he knew all along that she very intentionally ran off with him, and it was his jealous and rage that kicked everything off.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

bloom posted:

The problem really is that she, and possibly the show, is trying to portray herself as a better than the previous ruling class. If she just rolled up with the dragons and went "nice continent, hand it over or else" it would make total sense. Giving fancy speeches about breaking the wheel and then burning people alive is going to raise a few eyebrows.

The show knows. They have main characters commenting on her actions and filmed the loot train to maximize the terror from the ground troops.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CornHolio posted:

I'd say it was still Robert that started it. If he had just recognized that he had lost Lyanna to Rhaegar and not fought to try to keep her, everything would have been avoided.

He says that Rhaegar kidnapped her, but I think he knew all along that she very intentionally ran off with him, and it was his jealous and rage that kicked everything off.

I think him kidnapping her is actually the mainstream interpretation in-universe.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Next week on Game of Thrones:

- Bran travels to Meereen to meet with Daario Naharis, and then swings by Braavos at lunchtime to pick up Jaqen H'Ghar and bring them back to Winterfell.
- Cersei and Dany range north of the wall and meet Benjen. Dany possibly falls in love with Benjen.
- While Cersei is away, Tyrion sneaks back into King's Landing to throw the mother of all parties in the Red Keep. Bronn learns to skateboard.
- Euron sails to, and destroys, the moon.
- Sam steals a library book.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Night King makes it to the Red Keep then back beyond the wall two scenes later

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

fruit on the bottom posted:

Night King makes it to the Red Keep then back beyond the wall two scenes later

He definitely wouldn't miss Tyrion's party

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

I think him kidnapping her is actually the mainstream interpretation in-universe.

Seems more like they eloped and did it quickly because Elia was barren and Rhaegar wanted to bone. He was the crown prince, he didn't need to get married to bone Lyanna.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CornHolio posted:

The only reason we know they eloped is because we're peeking over the fourth wall, the narrative accepted by everyone is he kidnapped her (even the king thought this as far as I know).

And again the rebellion wasn't started because of the kidnapping, that was just a catalyst. It was started because the king demanded that Jon Arryn murder what were in effect his own foster sons. Arryn replied "gently caress you, come and do your own dirty work".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's a big thread so I haven't read through it to see what everyone else's opinion is, but I'm having a REALLY hard time enjoying the scenes with Cersei this season. I love her character but I'm so much more invested in what's happening with the white walkers coming. I'm enjoying seeing all these characters meet up together, I like Dany and all that stuff so I've enjoyed her and Jon Snow interacting, I loved the scene in the Eastwatch jail where all these different characters FINALLY meet and talk. That was a really fun scene. I like the stuff with Sansa in Winterfell, although I wish they kept Bran still being... Bran but with new powers, this new half-dead Bran is annoying. I'm even enjoying the stuff with Sam since it's directly connected to the stuff in the north. Like I dunno it's just you have this big obvious interesting threat that everyone in the north is taking seriously, and even Dany is starting to see that it's something to pay attention to. But I can't get into Cersei's stuff at all because it seems so pointless in the grand scheme of things. She doesn't and won't ever care about the White Walkers. This meeting they want to have with her to make her realize the threat is pointless, it seems obvious to me you you could literally show her, while riding the dragon's back, the actual army of the dead to her face and she wouldn't care about it. And I mean I guess that's the point but it just isn't doing anything for me. The only scenes in Kings Landing last episode I enjoyed were the meeting between Tyrion and Jaime, and the scene with Gendry. Everything else it was like ehhhhhh go back to showing the north.

Although to piggyback that, the Cersei stuff is a million times more interesting than loving Littlefinger's stuff. I would like Arya to just go ahead and kill him so I don't have to see whatever dumb poo poo he's doing anymore. Does anyone care about Littlefinger's story at this point?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Maybe Rhaegar should have left a loving note

I'm the photoshop of Catelyn Stark saying THIS IS EXACTLY WHY YOU SEND OUT WEDDING NOTICES.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

Littlefinger will betray littlefinger by ordering littlefinger to kill littlefinger.

My Lady Sansa,

I write to you with shocking news! Littlefinger tried to have me assassinated to make sure I wouldn't discover his plot to kill Littlefinger!

Your humble Spymaster,
Littlefinger

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shout out to the dude playing Randall Tarly for being perfectly cast.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Macaluso posted:

It's a big thread so I haven't read through it to see what everyone else's opinion is, but I'm having a REALLY hard time enjoying the scenes with Cersei this season. I love her character but I'm so much more invested in what's happening with the white walkers coming. I'm enjoying seeing all these characters meet up together, I like Dany and all that stuff so I've enjoyed her and Jon Snow interacting, I loved the scene in the Eastwatch jail where all these different characters FINALLY meet and talk. That was a really fun scene. I like the stuff with Sansa in Winterfell, although I wish they kept Bran still being... Bran but with new powers, this new half-dead Bran is annoying. I'm even enjoying the stuff with Sam since it's directly connected to the stuff in the north. Like I dunno it's just you have this big obvious interesting threat that everyone in the north is taking seriously, and even Dany is starting to see that it's something to pay attention to. But I can't get into Cersei's stuff at all because it seems so pointless in the grand scheme of things. She doesn't and won't ever care about the White Walkers. This meeting they want to have with her to make her realize the threat is pointless, it seems obvious to me you you could literally show her, while riding the dragon's back, the actual army of the dead to her face and she wouldn't care about it. And I mean I guess that's the point but it just isn't doing anything for me. The only scenes in Kings Landing last episode I enjoyed were the meeting between Tyrion and Jaime, and the scene with Gendry. Everything else it was like ehhhhhh go back to showing the north.

Although to piggyback that, the Cersei stuff is a million times more interesting than loving Littlefinger's stuff. I would like Arya to just go ahead and kill him so I don't have to see whatever dumb poo poo he's doing anymore. Does anyone care about Littlefinger's story at this point?

I agree completely. All the KL Lannister stuff has felt tired and pointless to me since Cersei became queen.

It's a lot like how I felt about Robb and Catelyn toward the end of their arc (apart from the Red Wedding). I enjoyed their characters and the actors did a good job but every time they showed up I was like "ugh this is pointless get back to the stuff that matters."

That's how I feel now but even moreso because the non-Lannister stuff consists of sweet reunions and dragon battles and poo poo.

As a character Littlefinger is terrible in this season, but at least he's only in scenes/storylines with the more interesting Starks who are making GBS threads on him constantly. If they were using up screen time with Littlefinger scenes that were in some other location and featured Littlefinger and nobody else I would hate him way more

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

CornHolio posted:

You really get the sense that Robert was the bad guy all along.

I think the theory goes that the GoT we're seeing is the wrong timeline, Rhaegar is The Prince That Was Promised who would have defeated the White Walkers, but Robert went and hosed it all up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I did not see that pregnancy thing coming. Last season they were dropping hints all over the place that cersei was going through the change, but that could have been a red herring.

My guess is that she is lying to keep Jamie, and when he finds out he strangles her while bleeding to death from a stab wound.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's going to be hilarious when we find out The Mountain is the father and her baby is an unholy manifestation of Cthulhu

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

littlefinger knows bran's power, right?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

rage-saq posted:

Seems more like they eloped and did it quickly because Elia was barren and Rhaegar wanted to bone. He was the crown prince, he didn't need to get married to bone Lyanna.

I agree that this is what happened, but in-universe this isn't widely-known.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She doesn’t want prisoners that can continue living and hating her and showing everyone else they can just refuse her and go to jail. She wants everyone to follow her.

Or burn.

Which makes her worse than those she's conquering.

Like Bloom said the real problem is that she's conquering and laying waste while claiming to save the world. If you're gonna be a tyrant at least be honest about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, Jaime's doing real cool stuff and playing both sides and trying to figure poo poo out, and Cersei is just "drat you should have let me torture that lady before you killed her!

Its not really all that fun to watch anymore.

And yeah, Littlefinger really seems like he shouldn't even be here anymore. But his cat-and-mouse game with Arya is at least finally something that's pretty interesting. We'll see where this goes from here. I think he's trying to play Arya and Sansa but its going to end up with Littlefinger getting killed. Either Arya will do it or Sansa will get the Vale Lords to do it. But how it plays out will be interesting.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zaphod42 posted:

Which makes her worse than those she's conquering.

Additionally, the fact that she's conquering makes her worse than those she's conquering.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

rage-saq posted:

Elia and Rhaegar had two kids; they were both killed by The Mountain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

some guy on the bus posted:

Additionally, the fact that she's conquering makes her worse than those she's conquering.

Right, this is why I don't buy the "Ned Stark executed people too" thing.

Those were people who had already sworn loyalty of their own free will, and then betrayed their duty. Ned never said "kneel or die".

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Omne posted:

Elia and Rhaegar had two kids; they were both killed by The Mountain.

That was after Rhaegar left Elia for Lyanna.
The books say that Elia was bedridden for a year after giving birth to Rhaenys and nearly died giving birth to Aegon. The maesters told Rhaegar and Elia that Elia would bear no more children after Aegon was born.
Lyanna was younger and more fertile and of hardy from her Stark heritage (even though she dies in childbirth too).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Red posted:

- Jon has a questing party and didn't take a mage

Thoros.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Those were people who had already sworn loyalty of their own free will, and then betrayed their duty. Ned never said "kneel or die".

the targaryens are the rightful rulers of westeros except for a betrayal of duty tho

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thoros is clearly a cleric

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

PantsBandit posted:

I thought it was a little dumb that Jaime insisted that no army could beat the Dothraki. They routed the Lannister army but that was because they got surprised by a loving mythical creature burning up their formation and letting the cavalry get behind them. They have plenty of weaknesses (arguably more than the Westerosi, since they rely so heavily on horse-combat), it's not like Jaime to be so defeatist.

Jaime's description "To them, it wasn't fighting - it was sport." reflects that they're not a traditional army. Beating them isn't really an option - you'd have to wipe them out to get rid of them, and that would cost every Lannister soldier. Jaime is not a fan of the pyrrhic victory at best option.

He's a cleric, not a mage.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

teagone posted:

I'm assuming Beric's sword is lightbringer. It has to be right?

Nah, it's just a sword lit on fire. It was always Thoros' gimmick in battle, and he was said to have gone through a shitload of swords b/c the flames ruin the blade.

None of the Lightbringers in the books or show have been legit, just red priest(ess, in Stannis' case) magic and trickery.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

learnincurve posted:

I did not see that pregnancy thing coming. Last season they were dropping hints all over the place that cersei was going through the change, but that could have been a red herring.

What hints?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Red posted:

He's a cleric, not a mage.

It'll depend on if they give him any of the dope fire magic Melisandre had and used during battle in the books. Granted, they cut that from the show and it's likely Thoros' only real power over flame is his sword buff and rezzing.

So yeah I guess he's probably a cleric.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, I really enjoyed this episode, but christ the pacing is so fast now.

I mean, I like the pace in some ways, it certainly makes for a more exciting show, but in other ways I miss the old slow burn, dialogue heavy pace of the first couple seasons. Back then the dramatic build up was incredible and when poo poo did finally happen, for example when Jaime and Ned duel, it felt really impactful.

Also, as has been pointed out, this new pace apparently has no room for the really deep dialogue we got in the first few seasons.

All of this makes the show come off as much lighter and less "deep" than it started out. I felt this especially in the scenes where they matter of factly discuss capturing a Wight to show to Cersei and when Jon's crew and The Brotherhood are talking about teaming up. It almost seemed like a completely different show.

So, while I have some reservations about the changes, I still have to admit that I'm really enjoying the last couple episodes.
You nailed it.

Also Tyrion's whole "I'll go to Kings Landing and speak to Jaime".. loading screen .. "we've arrived at Kings Landing! Go complete your quest" unintentionally undermines everything else going on. KL isn't close to that place that Dany is at, so doing an instant transition is jarring. It makes you think the two cities are closer together than they are.

And gently caress me the tonal shift is so jarring, it definitely doesn't feel like the earlier seasons, even last one. It's going to end up with a laugh track come next season.

I also can't believe they went with the "Bronn pulls Jaime out half a mile from the battlefield, conveniently avoiding the next scene"

Durzel fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 14, 2017

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Cersei is somehow going to join the WWs just because she wants to destroy her enemies even if she's only queen for like 5 extra minutes or maybe she plans to marry the night king and they rule the dead.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Red posted:

What hints?

Qyburn kept visiting her for checkups iirc, I think there were some conversations about her moon's blood and moon tea.

If that was intended to build to this the timeline is more confusing than ever imho.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How long was Jon Snow actually on Dragonstone for? Months? The timeline stuff is really dumb as hell. Him and Dany should be best buds after all that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also, refusing to kill and torture Lannisters after a battle was over was how the show told us King Robb was good in comparison to Roose Bolton in Season 2.

• Locked thread