Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Doesn't foreclosure and eviction take a couple months? That's pretty cheap rent if you put $3k down then never pay.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Talked to someone today with $20,000 in a basic savings account. Not a bad thing per se, but also has 4 or 5 credit cards maxed out being charged interest at probably 3x the rate at least.

Money is in savings for IVF when Mr Right appears from Plenty Of Fish.

BWM scavenger hunt: Someone please find me "IVF on a credit card" style stories.

We had predatory tires and puppy leases before, do we have predatory IVF lending? This old Slate article just isn't cutting it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just found out a coworker bought a BMW i9, a $150k supercar. Guy probably is pulling down around $70k annually.

Don't worry, he bought it used and got a deal on it, because it was declared a lemon in Florida.

He bought a BMW supercar with legally actionable mechanical defects.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

canyoneer posted:

I just found out a coworker bought a BMW i9, a $150k supercar. Guy probably is pulling down around $70k annually.

Don't worry, he bought it used and got a deal on it, because it was declared a lemon in Florida.

:fap: :piaa:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Now imagine what the insurance cost would be?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6tmeq3/my_friends_tax_avoidance_probably_evasion_scheme/
My friend's tax avoidance (probably evasion) scheme (US). (self.legaladvice)
submitted 7 hours ago * by TollsATollRollsARoll
US - Georgia

The IRS is going to joinder him right in the rear admiralty

Love 2 sovcit

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Rudager posted:

Now imagine what the insurance cost would be?

Lol this guy ain't buying insurance.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Virtue posted:

That which is already dead cannot die.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

You pay $3000 and it's "yours".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You pay $3000 and it's "yours".

I'm struggling to work out why anyone wouldn't buy a house for a hundredth of it's valued cost.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Virtue posted:

Like this lady who couldn't pay her six figure repair bill after driving her Aston into a tree with basic coverage.

http://jalopnik.com/aston-martin-owner-crashes-car-reportedly-refuses-to-p-1791087152

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Like this lady who couldn't pay her six figure repair bill after driving her Aston into a tree with basic coverage.

http://jalopnik.com/aston-martin-owner-crashes-car-reportedly-refuses-to-p-1791087152

I don't get it. I thought the Chinese in the US/Canada were rolling in dough.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Fil5000 posted:

I'm struggling to work out why anyone wouldn't buy a house for a hundredth of it's valued cost.

Why not pay 0% of its cost and go the no money down route? And then you own* that home for free**, baby!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Oh, he's talking deposit? He should look into the 110% mortgages we used to have in the UK. That ended really well.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I don't know which would be more satisfying: if the sovcit person got nailed with a ton of back taxes and penalties, or if the employer overwithheld so that the sovcit person would actually receive a refund if they filed taxes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

BWL/BWM: Going to a white supremacist rally, being ID'd in photos, getting fired from your job

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/08/14/charlottesville-white-nationalist-demonstrator-fired-from-libertarian-hot-dog-shop/
Charlottesville white nationalist demonstrator loses job at libertarian hot dog shop

everything about this headline is fantastic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

brugroffil posted:

BWL/BWM: Going to a white supremacist rally, being ID'd in photos, getting fired from your job

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/08/14/charlottesville-white-nationalist-demonstrator-fired-from-libertarian-hot-dog-shop/
Charlottesville white nationalist demonstrator loses job at libertarian hot dog shop

Of all the places that would be ok with you being a nazi I'd think "libertarian hot-dog shop" would be at the top of the list but I guess not???

Also how the hell is a hot-dog shop libertarian, are the funds distributed internally as a free market rather than the command economy of most businesses?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Of all the places that would be ok with you being a nazi I'd think "libertarian hot-dog shop" would be at the top of the list but I guess not???

Also how the hell is a hot-dog shop libertarian, are the funds distributed internally as a free market rather than the command economy of most businesses?

From the article.

quote:

Top Dog, a Berkeley campus fixture, isn’t shy about its libertarian values. “The walls … are covered with libertarian bumper stickers, yellowed newspaper articles urging the privatization of the postal service, and hand-lettered signs with statements like, ‘Beware the leader’ and ‘There’s no government like no government,'” wrote SF Weekly in 1996.

A section of the restaurant’s website is dedicated to “Propergander,” posting articles about sanctuary cities, nuclear war and diversity. A recent article about an anti-diversity memo circulating at Google read, in part, “Jim Crow is long gone, but it seems that Progressives (which gave us Jim Crow in the first place) now are imposing what essentially is a new form of segregation, that being ideological and religious segregation that is more reminiscent of how the former USSR treated dissidents than anything we have seen in private enterprise.” The website was down for a time after the weekend’s incidents but was online as of Monday afternoon.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

brugroffil posted:

BWM: working for a hot dog vendor in California, but flying across an entire continent to raise a lit tiki torch at a white supremacist rally in Virginia.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

From the article.

Yeah I read the article I just like my idea better :colbert:

e: Also I didn't want to say anything but since it's now quoted, christ how dumb do you have to be to think "progressives" did Jim Crowe. Like at least use the word "democrats" so you're technically correct

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 15, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Hey, when did Leon Trotsky get bac...oh, it isn't him.

Sounds like him though. Sounds a lot like his co-workers.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

brugroffil posted:

People keep comparing this guy to Doobie, but in Doobie's defence, his incompetence got him waaay before his racism did.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah I read the article I just like my idea better :colbert:

e: Also I didn't want to say anything but since it's now quoted, christ how dumb do you have to be to think "progressives" did Jim Crowe. Like at least use the word "democrats" so you're technically correct
I don't think they think "progressives" did Jim Crowe. They're laughing at the delicious "irony" that now "progressives" are "responsible" for it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6tmeq3/my_friends_tax_avoidance_probably_evasion_scheme/
My friend's tax avoidance (probably evasion) scheme (US). (self.legaladvice)
submitted 7 hours ago * by TollsATollRollsARoll
US - Georgia

The IRS is going to joinder him right in the rear admiralty

I think most Sovcit stuff falls under Poe's law these days. I can't tell if this is a troll or not, and even if this particular Redditor is, the story is almost certainly true for someone else.

It is baffling to me how many people fall for this.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

canyoneer posted:

You better post updates.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hey, when did Leon Trotsky get bac...oh, it isn't him.

got a real life lol out of me

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ixian posted:

I think most Sovcit stuff falls under Poe's law these days. I can't tell if this is a troll or not, and even if this particular Redditor is, the story is almost certainly true for someone else.

It is baffling to me how many people fall for this.

A Canadian judge turned a sovcit ruling into a treatise on all of their bullshit for future reference in case anyone's interested. Since the US is the world's exporter for this insanity to other countries with legal systems based on British law (mainly Canada and the UK), much of it applies here too.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't think they think "progressives" did Jim Crowe. They're laughing at the delicious "irony" that now "progressives" are "responsible" for it.

Eh I just interpreted it as the usual DEMOCRATS ARE THE PARTY OF THE KKK ignoring the southern strategy thing the right loves to do with "democrat" replaced with "progressive" for extra impact (since that's basically a slur to a lot of people these days) but I guess it could be that

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

brugroffil posted:

A Canadian judge turned a sovcit ruling into a treatise on all of their bullshit for future reference in case anyone's interested. Since the US is the world's exporter for this insanity to other countries with legal systems based on British law (mainly Canada and the UK), much of it applies here too.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

I read the whole of this a while back, it's just amazing in the breadth and depth this went into.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

I read the whole of this a while back, it's just amazing in the breadth and depth this went into.

I just read this now, it's a pro-click but very involved. I had a Nietzchean-abyss moment at one point reading some of the documents referenced :psyduck:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My favorite part is when he's like some of this poo poo is so fuckin stupid that knowing it's part of a wider thing is the only evidence the person isn't a dang idiot

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You guys, this tax protestor FAQ is a goldmine.

quote:

There is no requirement to apply for (or use) a Social Security number.

The Social Security Act may not require people to apply for Social Security numbers, but the Internal Revenue Code does.
The claim that “Only persons who have contracted with the government by applying for a governmental privilege or benefit, such as holding a Social Security number, are subject to tax, and those who have contracted with the government may choose to revoke the contract at will,” has been identified by the IRS as a “frivolous position” that can result in a penalty of $5,000 when asserted in a tax return or included in certain collection-related submissions.

quote:

I have revoked my consent to be a taxpayer.

The flip side of the claim that “the income tax is voluntary” is the claim that you can “unvolunteer” from the tax system.

Needless to say, the courts have not been impressed.

“Sasscer contends nevertheless that he is a ‘non-taxpayer’ due to his decision to rescind and revoke his consent to taxpayer status. Specifically, he refers to a letter and affidavit filed with the IRS on April 13, 1985. In the letter, Sasscer proclaims that he is a ‘freeman, a free sovereign individual.’ The attached Affidavit of Revocation and Recission declares that Sasscer is not ‘and never was a “taxpayer” as that term is defined in the Internal Revenue Code, a “person liable” for any Internal Revenue tax, or a “person” subject to the provisions of that Code.’ This well-worn argument has been uniformly repudiated by the federal courts. The federal income tax is not voluntary, and a person may not elect to opt out of the federal tax laws by a unilateral act of revocation and recission.”
The claim that “[a] taxpayer may ‘untax’ himself or herself at any time or revoke the consent to be taxed and thereafter not be subject to internal revenue taxes” has been identified by the IRS as a “frivolous position” that can result in a penalty of $5,000 when asserted in a tax return or included in certain collection-related submissions.

quote:

Wages are not income.

As unbelievable as it might sound, some tax protesters simply think that the income tax doesn’t apply to wages.
Consider these statements by the United States Supreme Court:

“[T]he earnings of the human brain and hand when unaided by capital ... are commonly dealt with as income in legislation.”

Stratton’s Independence, Ltd. v. Howbert, 231 U.S. 399, 415 (1913).

“There is no doubt that the statute could tax salaries to those who earned them....”

Lucas v. Earl, 281 U.S. 111, 114 (1930).

“[The tax code] is broad enough to include in taxable income any economic or financial benefit conferred on the employee as compensation, whatever the form or mode by which it is effected.”

C.I.R. v. Smith, 324 U.S. 177 (1945).

“Wages usually are income ....”

So where do tax protesters get the idea that wages might not be income?

Often from a series of incomplete and misleading quotations from irrelevant cases.

“It is to be noted that, by the language of the Act, it is not salaries, wages, or compensation for personal services that are to be included in gross income. That which is to be included is gains, profits, and income derived from salaries, wages, or compensation for personal services.” Lucas v. Earl, 281 U.S. 111 (1930).

The above quotation is not from the opinion of the Supreme Court, but is one of the arguments made by the taxpayer, who lost. (Older reports of Supreme Court decisions printed summaries of the arguments of the parties before the text of the court’s opinion.) The Supreme Court ruled against the taxpayer, holding that the taxpayer was liable for the tax on his salary and stating that “[t]here is no doubt that the statute could tax salaries to those who earned them....” 281 U.S. at 114.
The claim that “[w]ages, tips, and other compensation received for the performance of personal services are not taxable income or are offset by an equivalent deduction for the personal services rendered, including an argument that a taxpayer has a “claim of right” to exclude the cost or value of the taxpayer’s labor from income or that taxpayers have a basis in their labor equal to the fair market value of the wages they receive,” or similar arguments described as frivolous in Rev. Rul. 2004-29, 2004-12 I.R.B. 627, or Rev. Rul. 2007-19, 2007-14 I.R.B. 843, has been identified by the IRS as a “frivolous position” that can result in a penalty of $5,000 when asserted in a tax return or included in certain collection-related submissions. Notice 2007-30, 2007-14 I.R.B. 883.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6tx8rc/im_broke_all_my_credit_cards_are_maxed_and_i_have/

quote:

Okay lets get straight to it. Im a veteran (23/m) so I go to school full time using the Post 9/11 GI bill. This bill makes it so that not only is my school paid for, but the VA will actually pay me a basic housing allowance (roughly $1900/month) while im going to school full time. This is a great deal but I should have probably planned a little better. You see, since I am at starting my 3rd year of college this fall the classes available to me are starting to dwindle. This summer in particular I wasn't able to get any classes since there were none available for me to take. I do have a part time job but they only give me about 20 hours a week (they are over employed). I had $1000 saved up for a situation like this and that almost immediately vanished on the first. $700 went to rent and $300 went to my car last month (I literally have one car payment left before I'm done paying it off). I should probably mention that my girlfriend (20) and my baby (4months) live with me. We dont really have a babysitter to depend on so one of us has to be at home with the baby at all times, this makes our working schedules very tight (basically when she's at work I'm home with the baby and vis versa). She's bringing about $120 a week (she also work part time) but she made the genius decision of getting a 2017 model car that runs her $485/month so all her money goes to that. Basically I'm broke right now, we've been living off credit cards the whole summer and now our credit cards are maxed out. I got denied for another credit card and rent is due on the first and we have no savings. On top of that, i had to pay another $300 this month for my car of which I didnt have, my dad said they wouldnt take the money out if there was nothing there but they did, so now not only are my credit cards maxed out with nothing in my savings, but im negative $300 in debit account. This means I wont have any money until that debt is paid off. Oh and to put a nice cherry on top of it all I got a flat tire after work last night, which I cannot afford to replace. Please, someone, anyone, i need some financial advise, what should I do at this point???
TLDR: Im broke, Im negative $300 in my checking account, no savings, all credit cards are maxed out, all my bills got paid but September 1st is steadily approaching.

Nice

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My favorite part is when he's like some of this poo poo is so fuckin stupid that knowing it's part of a wider thing is the only evidence the person isn't a dang idiot

Not only a dang idiot, but literally mentally ill.

Apparently it's common to cut and paste from several different strategies, resulting in something not unlike a schizophrenic ransom note.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

As someone who has a Bachelor's degree due to the G.I. Bill/Army College Fund this post makes me want to repeatedly ram my head in a brick wall. I don't even...how do you gently caress *that* up? It is the best education related deal you can possibly get and all you have to do is go to school - and getting in to accredited schools is loving easy as a vet, even if you were a complete idiot in high school - and not flat-out fail. That's it! You can maintain a 2.0 average and smoke weed in your spare time and you are covered. I mean what the gently caress.

Edit: "Couldn't get classes" are you loving kidding me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

My jaw dropped at the bolded part. How were they even approved?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ixian posted:

Edit: "Couldn't get classes" are you loving kidding me.

I bet it's tough to get classes when you wait until the last day of registration or later.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What does couldn't get classes mean? Like he doesn't qualify for 300 level classes? Don't universities have offices that specifically help you chart out your path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

baquerd posted:

I bet it's tough to get classes when you wait until the last day of registration or later.

Here's some fun GI Bill facts: You have to maintain a passing average - which according to the VA is a "D" or higher, depending on the grading system and no I am not kidding - and full time is considered 12 credit hours a semester. 12. That is for full time benefits (you can also get half time benefits...if you are a moron).

The post-911 bill, which this clown has, also gives you a housing allowance. And book allowance.

It is not financial aid/loan. You don't repay poo poo.

Post-911 the bill allows direct payments to many accredited public schools, so you don't even have to go through the charade of setting up a payment plan with the school that you then fund with the payments the VA makes to you (like I did). Many good, public state schools will allow a GI Bill to pay the entire cost of a 4 year degree, plus housing allowance, at in-state tuition rates. Pick the right University and you are probably better off than 95% of the other people attending - you don't have to do poo poo but go to class.

You can start and stop any time in a 10-15 year period, depending on your separation date, and they don't give a gently caress if you get a degree at the end of it.

In the world of funding education, at least in the US there is nothing better. Yes, you have to slog through several years of enlisted servitude, boo-loving hoo, the problem with this clown is he already *did* that part and he's still finding a way to gently caress it up.

I shouldn't be surprised...I'm not surprised, really...given the general moron factor at play but goddamn, talk about throwing your life away/BWM.

Lowness 72 posted:

What does couldn't get classes mean? Like he doesn't qualify for 300 level classes? Don't universities have offices that specifically help you chart out your path?

No idea what it means for this idiot but yes, many schools (particularly public/state Uni) have departments specifically for vets and they absolutely will help guide you, often better than what regular students get....if you bother. The last part being the root of the problem here I bet.