Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why the gently caress do people keep bringing up what it means to be "American"? The reason why I don't support Nazis and authoritarianism isn't because I see myself as a "real American", it's because I am not a lovely human being.

attempts to co-opt right-wing arguments and messaging in order to appeal to the other side of the aisle. in this case, by making it a matter of nationalism or patriotism rather than basic human decency

the Dems try that all the time, and it never works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Calibanibal posted:

dont be so hard on urself LOL

haha

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nationalism should be opposed because you don't need to die decency to a national identity.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

zegermans posted:

The town I currently live in has 3200 people.

About 100 of them are worth living.

I was in a 10k pop 97% white town for a while, and while I know that it would all be trashpile garbage that votes for Trump, I know they'd also vote for someone that actually improved their quality of life.

I see xenophobia and racism more as the default when there's nothing better on the table.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

nationalism bad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I was in a 10k pop 97% white town for a while, and while I know that it would all be trashpile garbage that votes for Trump, I know they'd also vote for someone that actually improved their quality of life.

I see xenophobia and racism more as the default when there's nothing better on the table.

and here comes the hillary defenders!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/897186708843892736

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If someone made a deliberate parody of the alt right it would be Baked Alaska

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what's always telling in these sorts of tweets is that you can kind of see why an israeli conservative would think that given that the left tends to be pro-palestine, but they exclusively present examples of alt-right discourse on the topic instead of leftist discussion and then handwave saying they're the same instead of presenting evidence of them being the same (because there is none)

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

LGD posted:

wrong again, the dude officially in charge of the BLM is this guy:

I thought it was Nick Mullen.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jazerus posted:

what's always telling in these sorts of tweets is that you can kind of see why an israeli conservative would think that given that the left tends to be pro-palestine, but they exclusively present examples of alt-right discourse on the topic instead of leftist discussion and then handwave saying they're the same instead of presenting evidence of them being the same (because there is none)

There's always one or two antisemites on the Left that they'll pick out as an example, and then compare them to the far right's worst thought leaders, but the actual discourse within the Left and Right on Jews couldn't be more different. Leftists are constantly condemning antisemitism while it's all the far right ever talks about. It's conflating trickles with water falls.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I thought it was Nick Mullen.

You're thinking of the DSA.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

in my experience they're equally willing to vote for someone who promises to bring everyone else's bar down to their imagined level.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/guardianopinion/status/897155150858428416

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

:yeah:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's always one or two antisemites on the Left that they'll pick out as an example, and then compare them to the far right's worst thought leaders, but the actual discourse within the Left and Right on Jews couldn't be more different. Leftists are constantly condemning antisemitism while it's all the far right ever talks about. It's conflating trickles with water falls.

You're thinking of the DSA.

i wasnt old enough to remember the south africa fight but i bet people who supported the end of apartheid were accused of supporting boerish genocide

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

i wasnt old enough to remember the south africa fight but i bet people who supported the end of apartheid were accused of supporting boerish genocide

They still act like black on white crime in SA is a white genocide.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

you can't commit genocide against a fake ethnic group. Boers don't exist, dutch and british colonialists exist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zegermans posted:

you can't commit genocide against a fake ethnic group. Boers don't exist, dutch and british colonialists exist.

reddit jokes about white south africans and african americans etc. etc.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Robert Mugabe was about 85% right

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

The town I currently live in has 3200 people.

About 100 of them are worth living.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201408/is-there-limit-the-friendships-we-can-maintain

🤔

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol

http://rare.us/rare-news/across-the-u-s-a/trump-supporters-are-planning-the-mother-of-all-rallies-in-d-c-theres-just-one-problem/

quote:

On Sept. 16, the Mother of All Rallies will descend on Washington, D.C., bathing the nation’s capital in red “Make America Great Again” hats and the rumble of probably more than a few motorcycles. The event is organized by Trump supporters who, according the website they’ve set up, are hoping to “send a message to congress the media and the world.” It’s being billed as an “all day and night rally for American culture,” and you’re urged to attend if “you believe in the founding fathers idea of America. If you believe we are the greatest country to ever exist.”

Trump-voters are definitely outsiders in Washington — only 4 percent of the district voted for the current president. So when the “MAGA” crowd arrives at the National Mall at 11 a.m., they’re hoping to make themselves known. On Facebook, the event page for the rally already has over 7,000 followers, and almost 4,500 people have said they’re interested in attending. Hopeful attendees include a bleach-blonde Florida woman who wrote that she will help drive an RV for anybody “willing to take large groups of Trump supporters” and another woman urging parents to get their children to join “The Young Patriots” in leading the Pledge of Allegiance. From the buzz, the rally is shaping up to be a great time for Trump fans.

Unfortunately for the Trump supporters, they won’t be the only group in Washington that Saturday. In fact, they won’t even be the only group on the National Mall. In December, a website went online for the “Juggalo March” that will take place on the National Mall by the Lincoln Memorial. They even have a countdown clock on their website, tracking the minutes until they appear en masse at the same steps where Martin Luther King Jr. declared his dream.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hooo boy

https://twitter.com/mattbinder/status/897203776133758976

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

If only those progressives stayed at home and tweeted like reasonable moderates none of this would have happened :qq:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Majorian posted:

Apologies if this was already posted (I didn't see it), but Kos be Kos-ing:

https://twitter.com/markos/status/896747477428314112

Yaaaay party unity.

turns out "Crashing the Gate" was an unintentionally apt title for his old book

getting inside the Dem establishment was the main thing he and a lot of the Bush-era netroots really wanted. yeah, they were against the Iraq war, which was obviously a Very Big Issue at the time, but one issue doesn't substitute for an actual, competing vision of politics

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Al! posted:

p much yeah

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bernie:] come on youse peepul i aint getting young-*gesticulates*er, it is time to have garanteed helthcaar for awl :bernin:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Lmao the Top Dog hog dog restaurant that the outed nazi worked at is located in Berkeley and run by outspoken libertarians, the walls inside are covered with libertarian leaflets and articles and sundry propaganda.

Who could have foreseen that a white nationalist would find a home among libertarians....

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What a stirring condemnation of white nationalism lmfao

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Vox Nihili posted:

the actions are not supported by Top Dog, but like everyone should be able to do what they like tbh -Top Dog, LLC

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Agnosticnixie posted:

FWIW the wonks have been trying to emulate the tea party since the tea party happened. Throughout occupy there were probably 3 or 4 demoratic PACs that tried very hard to shape it into a democratic tea party and that was like a year or two after the birth of the Tea Party.

too bad they didnt actually address any causes of ows! they were in bed with the banks we were railing against

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

top dog does NOT wish to create joinder

—the mgmt, top dog

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Well top dog is sort of endorsing everyone's right to ostracize the poo poo out Nazis

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

my face when firing a nazi

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Well top dog is sort of endorsing everyone's right to ostracize the poo poo out Nazis

Yeah. It's essentially: Top Dog has become aware that employee 0014 has become a substantial material liability to the company due to his political leanings. In order to maximize profit, his employment has been terminated. We support all beliefs except those which cost us money.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm very angry a hot dog place didn't put out a harsh enough criticism of white nationalism

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

i'm very angry a hot dog place didn't put out a harsh enough criticism of white nationalism

goondolances

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they gonna get juggalowned

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

between google firing a misogynist and top dog firing a nazi it's been a bad couple of weeks for right-wing employees of companies with bad politics

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Never expect a local Berkeley Business to ever make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Studio posted:

my face when firing a nazi

holy gently caress they stole my cartoon alter ego, porkpie dickins

• Locked thread