Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/896927643425136640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I've never seen something so perfect.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

this is magical

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The onion once again, proving itself to be the best news source.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/896903004229517313

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/896719498044215296

Please stop

a.) helping trump get re-elected

b.) creating new members of the alt right.

Trump didn't win because he was some great campaign genius or the reasons people think. Trump won because idiots like this constantly depressed voter turn out, and have the ear of the DNC.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol, The Root is a trip but what the gently caress is this post

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

something can be dumb without literally causing the end of mankind

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
those tweets are some serious whiplash
were they from dueling editors?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

an actual dog posted:

lol, The Root is a trip but what the gently caress is this post

I dunno just in a grouchy mood lately.

not exactly thrilled nazis were walking around this weekend. Plus there's like next to no left wing leadership right now in actual places of power. Blows man.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Taintrunner posted:

Let me explain it to you in as simple as terms as possible. Nazis are literally the exception that proves the rule when it comes to defending free speech rights, because they are the political project who seek to do little more than take it away from as many people as possible, through means of violence and oppression. America literally put young men on boats and sent them across the Atlantic to shoot Nazis in the head not a century before.

Nazis, which is what these people idolize, seek to be, and for all intent and purposes are, have an outspoken belief in violent oppression, and are absolutely a tool of right wing neofascist conservatives like Ted Cruz to point at and go "oh not me nuh uh I'm not that bad" while turning around and proposing violent patrols of Muslim communities. They are, quite simply, the only group that is not entitled to assembly, because they seek to take that right away from literally everyone else that does not look like them.

So you're okay with taking away civil liberties, but only from groups that want to take away civil liberties. Shouldn't you want your own taken away too then? 🤔

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
so the root just livetweets a bunch of lovely tv and compares it to politics?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So you're okay with taking away civil liberties, but only from groups that want to take away civil liberties. Shouldn't you want your own taken away too then? 🤔

Mind BLOWN

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

normal brain: crush fascists
enlarged brain: only defend others from fascists
planet brain: leave fascists alone
galaxy brain: opposing fascists is fascism
universe brain: defend fascists online

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

we should expect the bourgeois state to protect everyone's freedom of speech because the state will recognize no distinction between fascist right and radical left. Extralegal action coupled with halfassed protection from law enforcement is a better way to silence fascists than direct action from the bourgeois state.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

normal brain: crush fascists
enlarged brain: only defend others from fascists
planet brain: leave fascists alone
galaxy brain: opposing fascists is fascism
universe brain: defend fascists online

I'm defending civil liberties, not fascists.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm defending civil liberties, not fascists.

You're defending the people who want to take civil liberties from everyone else, so no, you're attacking civil liberties. That's the joy of civil liberties - you can do whatever you want, hell you can even roleplay Rommel in your own home, but you can't organize and form a political movement centered on taking civil liberties away from and violently oppressing people who do not fit in your pathetic concept of a "Master Race."

Spineless liberals will time and time go to bat for the rights of actual fascists while saying nothing as the rights of leftists, BLM, etc. are violently suppressed. In some cases, they'll actively work to make situations worse, like lobbying for police bodycams made by the same company that produces the taser. Those bodycams have not put cops in prison, but instead further enabled the state to continue oppressing vulnerable communities.

There is no need to defend fascists or their rights, as time and time again this has never led to an epiphany where they realize they should stop supporting a political movement based on violent oppression of the marginalized. A fascist can stop being a fascist any time they like. The Jews never got to stop being Jews, even as the Weimar liberals handed the state over to fascists with an openly stated hatred of their identity. That is the difference you are refusing to understand.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

wow I hate this thread and everyone in it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

You're defending the people who want to take civil liberties from everyone else, so no, you're attacking civil liberties. That's the joy of civil liberties - you can do whatever you want, hell you can even roleplay Rommel in your own home, but you can't organize and form a political movement centered on taking civil liberties away from and violently oppressing people who do not fit in your pathetic concept of a "Master Race."

Spineless liberals will time and time go to bat for the rights of actual fascists while saying nothing as the rights of leftists, BLM, etc. are violently suppressed. In some cases, they'll actively work to make situations worse, like lobbying for police bodycams made by the same company that produces the taser. Those bodycams have not put cops in prison, but instead further enabled the state to continue oppressing vulnerable communities.

There is no need to defend fascists or their rights, as time and time again this has never led to an epiphany where they realize they should stop supporting a political movement based on violent oppression of the marginalized. A fascist can stop being a fascist any time they like. The Jews never got to stop being Jews, even as the Weimar liberals handed the state over to fascists with an openly stated hatred of their identity. That is the difference you are refusing to understand.

:allears:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

You're defending the people who want to take civil liberties from everyone else, so no, you're attacking civil liberties.

No, I'm opposed to Nazis taking away civil liberties, just like I'm opposed to you doing it.

Taintrunner posted:

Spineless liberals

As opposed to the brave, brave people who are so terrified of talking they want to make it illegal. By the way I am a leftist and I'd fight for leftist civil liberties at least as hard as everybody else's.

Taintrunner posted:

Uh yeah, that's why being a fascist is bad and being Jewish isn't. But the point of civil liberties extending to fascists isn't to persuade them, it's first to keep liberties universal so that dissent can exist (and the arbiters of good and bad speech, even if they agree with you now [which they don't] won't forever) and second so that fascists will out their horrendous ideas where you can see them and counter them in an actually meaningful way, instead of staying hidden and spreading them unopposed.

Jewel Repetition has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Aug 14, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

an actual dog posted:

turn ur monitor on heh

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/NewtTrump/status/896953373735481347

why assault journalists?

(ignoring the source I got this tweet from, focus on the video as it's from a local CBS reporter).

While I can see AntiFa doing good going after literal actual nazi's, why attack the press? That's cowardly. That's their job. That's something protected by the Bill of Rights.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You know that it's possible to be a leftist who supports free speech rights correct? You're not a spineless liberal simply for not wanting the same government currently considering punishing BDS with huge bipartisan support to also start regulating speech.

Also, what exactly do you want done about the first amendment? You can't just wish it out of existence. Like that German law you pointed to earlier, I don't think laws like that are some terrible 1984 dystopia but you literally *can't* do that here, it would be struck down 9-0 by the SCOTUS.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Aug 14, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

got any sevens posted:

turn ur monitor on heh

my monitor IS on and I'm NOT mad

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Because they're no more than violent thugs.

Also:
https://twitter.com/carrerapulse/status/896884472947261440
They're screaming "NAZI" at a guy who I'm pretty sure is rocking a Star of David around his neck.

Also some #unitetheright people seem to have been looking through the footage of the guy that drove his car through the crowd and they might have turned up something to suggest that it's partly the antifa crowd's fault, or at least one idiot's fault.

https://twitter.com/LucidHurricaneX/status/896841578173661186

Someone took a swing at the back of the vehicle, and that's when he accelerates into the crowd. Maybe the nazi isn't such a bad guy after all? :haw:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Taintrunner posted:

Um, I'm pretty sure you can in America. Maybe you are thinking of somewhere else?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lohli posted:

Also:
They're screaming "NAZI" at a guy who I'm pretty sure is rocking a Star of David around his neck.

Also some #unitetheright people seem to have been looking through the footage of the guy that drove his car through the crowd and they might have turned up something to suggest that it's partly the antifa crowd's fault, or at least one idiot's fault.

Someone took a swing at the back of the vehicle, and that's when he accelerates into the crowd. Maybe the nazi isn't such a bad guy after all? :haw:

an actual dog posted:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

lohli posted:

Also:

Your post started ok and ended up defending an attempted spree killer. Probably should go back and try again.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol even I didn't think this thread would get to this point

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Mock Someone Thread: Maybe the nazi isn't such a bad guy after all?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/NewtTrump/status/896953373735481347

why assault journalists?

(ignoring the source I got this tweet from, focus on the video as it's from a local CBS reporter).

While I can see AntiFa doing good going after literal actual nazi's, why attack the press? That's cowardly. That's their job. That's something protected by the Bill of Rights.

so the fbi doesnt doxx them?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Byolante posted:

Your post started ok and ended up defending an attempted spree killer. Probably should go back and try again.

loving this. i have my issues with libs and woke poo poo and even blm/antifa. but i am perfectly fine with nazi/alt right fucktards getting hosed over and censored to an extent especially after this poo poo.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving this. i have my issues with libs and woke poo poo and even blm/antifa. but i am perfectly fine with nazi/alt right fucktards getting hosed over and censored to an extent especially after this poo poo.
I'm not.

Good discussion.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
*screeches into thread with smoke coming off heels*

guys, guys, i think we've found someone we all can feel free to mock

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I am having a stroke

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
yass.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sword_man.gif posted:

*screeches into thread with smoke coming off heels*

guys, guys, i think we've found someone we all can feel free to mock

my brain is bleeding. i thought bronies kinda died off a year ago.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This guy is the darling of resistor liberals and #NeverTrump Republicans

https://twitter.com/20committee/status/897117570360389632

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sorry, even after Charlottesville, #NoConfederate is still a stupid movement

it's only appropriate that a medium site called "The Establishment" is home of some of the dumbest essays that you'll find on the wasteland that is the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

This guy is the darling of resistor liberals and #NeverTrump Republicans

https://twitter.com/20committee/status/897117570360389632

*Indiana Jones voice* :argh: RUSSIANS :argh:

• Locked thread