Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Mr. Nice! posted:

VA governor said part of the reason the police did not show up in riot gear to start the day saturday and why they did not engage and disperse the nazis sooner was because the rally was more heavily armed than the police were capable.

The Virginia governor is also bewildered at racism in a state that has a problem with it for ages. Same for the mayor of Charlottesville. Both are telling nazis to go home when a lot of them live here.

The night before, Virginia police sat idly by as armed nazis attempted to break into a church full of people peacefully praying for everyone, it's not a matter of armament at loving all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr. Nice! posted:

VA governor said part of the reason the police did not show up in riot gear to start the day saturday and why they did not engage and disperse the nazis sooner was because the rally was more heavily armed than the police were capable.

( _ ) Truth
( X ) Doubt

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

http://www.abc2news.com/news/region/baltimore-city/mayor-pugh-plans-to-remove-confederate-monuments-in-baltimore

quote:

The announcement comes after nearly 1,000 people marched in Baltimore's Wyman Park in protest against race-fueled rallies held in Charlottesville, Va. over the weekend. Protesters met at a statue of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson near Johns Hopkins University to call for its removal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol how did those get built in loving Maryland in the first place

... never mind

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Discord just announced they've shut down a Alt Right Discord channel and banned a number of accounts associated with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

... never mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_riot_of_1861
Probably something related to that?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The president finally came out to condemn the nazis. Ohwait, no, he didn't. He still is pushing that everyone is bad and I take his speech that the DOJ is going to be slamming down on counterprotesters hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0y55BVXffY&t=1305s

He did at about 24:30. Specifically mentions and condemns the KKK, neo-Nazis, and white supremacists.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

... never mind

I was genuinely surprised that one for Jefferson and Jackson managed to survive in Baltimore City this long, but one of the fun things I'm learning today is that there are confederate monuments popping up all over Maryland I never knew about, including one on my county courthouse.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Discord just announced they've shut down a Alt Right Discord channel and banned a number of accounts associated with it.

Discord supports peaceful coexistence.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Wonder what will happen if these people find out what fort bragg was named for?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Wonder what will happen if these people find out what fort bragg was named for?

Bragg was responsible for getting a lot of rebels killed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The state song of Maryland, "Maryland, My Maryland," was written in 1861 and the first words in the song refer to Abraham Lincoln.

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

During the Civil War, the forts and batteries in Baltimore had their guns pointed into the city to prevent insurrection, as opposed to into the bay to prevent attack.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

hobbesmaster posted:

Black panthers... were right?

Unironically

There's a reason Fred Hampton was assassinated

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Black Panther Party was easily the most efficacious gun control organization in US history.

Also drat, Gen. Bragg had to be deep on the spectrum:

wikipedia posted:

He launched a series of argumentative letters with senior Army officials, including the adjutant general and Army paymaster, that established his reputation as "disputatious."[5]

Bragg had a reputation for being a strict disciplinarian and one who adhered to regulations literally. There is a famous, apocryphal story, included in Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs, about Bragg as a company commander at a frontier post where he also served as quartermaster. He submitted a requisition for supplies for his company, then as quartermaster declined to fill it. As company commander, he resubmitted the requisition, giving additional reasons for his requirements, but as the quartermaster he denied the request again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

at the date posted:

He did at about 24:30. Specifically mentions and condemns the KKK, neo-Nazis, and white supremacists.

He the equivocates them with others which most certainly includes BLM etc. The fact that he can't say anything without false equivalence is telling.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
More ammo for the slow Mueller train

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0d7e_story.html

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That loving lede

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/willripleycnn/status/897191010731556864

I'm not worried. Nope

e; Happy read: http://www.theroot.com/interview-how-corey-long-fought-white-supremacy-with-f-1797831277

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
With the US is internally destabilized by a schism between the executive and legislative over nazi riot, North Korea takes the opportunity to flex its nuclear muscle.

Somewhere in the afterlife, Tom Clancy smiles proudly. "They don't need me anymore."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I don't even give a poo poo about North Korea anymore. I'm more concerned about the neonazi poo poo because that's a clear path to either a highly destructive civil war or international conflict, depending on how it reaches through the government.

Admittedly, I'm looking entirely from the outside, but I don't think North Korea can actually manage to land a missile in North America or even within a 100km CEP of what they're trying to hit, let alone do it with a miniaturized physics package. I am however sure that modern fascism is a cancer, and unlike the one in John McCain, this one is operable.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

McNally posted:

The state song of Maryland, "Maryland, My Maryland," was written in 1861 and the first words in the song refer to Abraham Lincoln.

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

During the Civil War, the forts and batteries in Baltimore had their guns pointed into the city to prevent insurrection, as opposed to into the bay to prevent attack.

Lee and the Confederate Army thought they would get a hometown welcome in the state during the Antietam campaign. There's a bunch of accounts of confed regiments singing the song when the entered the state.

gently caress you McClellan send in V corps and you shorten the war by two years.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/897218912663859200

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Black Panther Party was easily the most efficacious gun control organization in US history.

Also drat, Gen. Bragg had to be deep on the spectrum:

Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hunterhr posted:

Lee and the Confederate Army thought they would get a hometown welcome in the state during the Antietam campaign. There's a bunch of accounts of confed regiments singing the song when the entered the state.

gently caress you McClellan send in V corps and you shorten the war by two years.

I'm surprised Richmond never built a statue of McClellan.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ok what's his SA name?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

Although Fields applied to become a tank commander in the army after high school, he was turned down. Though he later enlisted as a regular soldier, he was let go for failing to meet standards after only four months of active duty.

Sometimes TRADOC does the right thing. It's super duper easy to chapter someone for being a dirtbag/racist/sexist/whatever in the first 180 days. After that it's merely pretty easy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He applied to become a tank commander?

Huh?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

cowboy elvis posted:

Ok what's his SA name?

It's me

I'm not actually a kiwi

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
This poo poo gets to me so goddamn bad and I don't know why.

Every generation before us has had to deal with it, one way or another.... But it hasn't been until now that it's been in the national conversation. We spent millions of lives trying to put a boot on the neck of this poo poo overseas. Racism has been here for hundreds of years, for sure (and I'm not minimizing it at all), but the neo-nazi, literal loving flag waving poo poo, has been stamped down and out, at least. And now with their powers combined... gently caress this poo poo.

One is disgusting enough - though may never be able to be eliminated in its entirety, but manageable with good policy, others with a right attitude, and intolerance towards it.

Both, and not only that but the massive upwelling of open racism in addition, and I'm wanting to find my curb stomping boots.

I spent probably an hour last night just talking through all this poo poo with one of the old-timers at my work just as far as going through what he's seen and experienced to everything that I/we can do in our generation... and honestly, part of it just expressing frustration at, "What the gently caress?" due to lack of anyone else to bounce this poo poo off of.

The only answer he had for me... Stomp this poo poo out verbally with those who are younger, let them know that's not ok, and show them why. Beyond that... both he and I are at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions or anything, I'd really appreciate it - coming from someone who's in Washington state, that doesn't mean much, but, gently caress. It's one thing after another lately.

Edit: A good portion of this is overreaction to a single weekend... but the single weekend speaks volumes to how freely others are allowed to speak about this as if this poo poo is ok and how it should be a part of the national "conversation" (with my goddamn boot).

That's not to say this wasn't a problem before, but gently caress all of this. All of it. You shouldn't feel like this is ok, you shouldn't feel like this is normal, and this should be stamped back into the loving snake hole it came out of.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 14, 2017

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Someone buy him a freaking account

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

He applied to become a tank commander?

Huh?

You just know that means he called his local recruiter and was like "I want to be tank commander. I will command a tank." and they were like "uh.... lol that's cool, wanna enlist little boy?" and then he did and then even that didn't work out.

Fun counter-intel story:

A mentally not well person wanted to kill Army officers, so he went to the recruiter and told him that he would like to join the Army so that he can be near Army officers so that he can kill them. Recruiter turned him away and called the FBI. So this guy goes to a different recruiter and says the same thing, and the recruiter signed him up for the Army and did not alert the FBI, lol. Then the FBI gave him fake bombs and now he's in prison.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Sometimes TRADOC does the right thing. It's super duper easy to chapter someone for being a dirtbag/racist/sexist/whatever in the first 180 days. After that it's merely pretty easy.

We had a guy in my basic platoon make disparaging remarks about Mexicans in front of our senior DS, who was married to one. Needless to say, he was platoon bitch for the next ten weeks, and did not graduate. The system works sometimes

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/peplamb/status/897223601400668160

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I wonder what his World of Tanks user name is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Lots of people saying antifa is more dangerous than the Nazi assholes.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 14, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Retardog posted:

We had a guy in my basic platoon make disparaging remarks about Mexicans in front of our senior DS, who was married to one. Needless to say, he was platoon bitch for the next ten weeks, and did not graduate. The system works sometimes

This sounds like something which has some incredible stories about said Platoon Bitch between that point and the point at which he failed to advance.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

This sounds like something which has some incredible stories about said Platoon Bitch between that point and the point at which he failed to advance.

The one that came to mind first was when we were issued weapons, he was issued a trash can and had to carry it everywhere, including drill and ceremony, for a couple of weeks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Lots of people saying antifa is more dangerous than the Nazi assholes.

Lots of "well they just call everybody a Nazi," too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you watch PBS's Carrier, which you shouldn't because it will only piss you off, you get to see the story of an idiot enlistee who gets kicked out for racism. At one point during a shore leave a black petty officer had a heart to heart with him about how his worldview is hosed up and he has to stop blaming everything on his upbringing. Unfortunately he was too drunk to remember any of this, and continues being an idiot even after being shown a video of the conversation. He gets thrown out not long after that.

That's not even the worst thing in the show. That would be when this SARC (or whatever the Navy called it at the time) volunteer rapes someone, and she decides to tell her command that it was consensual so she doesn't wreck his career. At that point I did a bunch of swearing and turned that poo poo off forever. Also the music really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What the gently caress is a volunteer rape?

• Locked thread