Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He ended up getting all that money back in the end, anyway! :v:

https://imgur.com/22CvW4g

Gendry: Dispenser of Refunds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd forgotten how much Gendry reminds me of a young Christian Bale animorphing into Diddy Kong

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why would there be another season, I thought this was it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Constant posted:

it just occurred to me they could've took a terminally ill person or a prisoner of war a few yards outside the gate, killed them and waited for em to turn

already chained and packaged up but that would be too easy wouldnt it

What determines a corpse turning into a wight? I forgot the circumstances about the one that shows up at the wall / attacks Mormont & Jon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What determines a corpse turning into a wight? I forgot the circumstances about the one that shows up at the wall / attacks Mormont & Jon.

The Thriller scene at the end of Hardhome seems to imply it's a conscious act by the NK to raise them that may require proximity.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why would there be another season, I thought this was it

Yep, they are just gonna neatly wrap up this whole show in two more episodes :downswords:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Could someone explain if there's a scene I might have missed that explained why Davos suddenly had to go pick up Gendry? It felt really shoehorned to me. Like the RPG party knew they needed a hammer main and figured they'd find the guy who's been rowing a boat for 3 seasons.

Edit: Aside from Gendry's connection to Robert, I mean.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Just something he wanted to do and they need smiths to work the dragon glass.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

RCarr posted:

Yep, they are just gonna neatly wrap up this whole show in two more episodes :downswords:

Jon and his fellows die north of the wall but the NK still has no way to bring down the wall and goes back North, as he has done every winter for 8000 years. At the same time Dany burns down the red keep and later sits on the Iron Throne in a hall of ashes like the vision in s2 predicted. Sansa is still married to Tyrion and they form a power couple that really controls the 7 kingdoms, Bronn gets Dorne, Davos the Storm's End and the Dothraki are settled in the Reach.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Could someone explain if there's a scene I might have missed that explained why Davos suddenly had to go pick up Gendry? It felt really shoehorned to me. Like the RPG party knew they needed a hammer main and figured they'd find the guy who's been rowing a boat for 3 seasons.

Blunt weapons do extra damage to Undead.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Ubiquitous_ posted:

On the inside the episode they said something like "Since Davos happens to be in KL for the first time in a long time it makes sense that he'd want to see Gendry, who was like an adopted son to him"

It seemed like they've wanted to bring back Gendry for a while and were looking for even the feeblest excuse

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Dave Hill wrote the episode and it made sense in his demented mind that Gendry goes back to KL, forges a warhammer and gets picked up by Davos.

Don't ask question

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cornflakes posted:

On the inside the episode they said something like "Since Davos happens to be in KL for the first time in a long time it makes sense that he'd want to see Gendry, who was like an adopted son to him"

It seemed like they've wanted to bring back Gendry for a while and were looking for even the feeblest excuse

Adopted son ?

The gently caress?

He knew the guy for like 4 weeks...

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

No it was definitely shoehorned in. Who loving cares though it gave me Jon and Gendry bro up and talk about their dads going on adventures "did we just become best friends" moment. Hook this poo poo directly to my veins it's so good!!!!!!

Not the writing so much, just the fan service and plot points that GRRM will never give me. I liked how it mirrored the very first episode with Ned and Robert seeing each other again and making fun of how old and fat they became.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I think the idea was he just wanted to get Gendry out of KL one way or another because Davos doesn't want him to get caught up in the impending siege and/or incoming Dragon destruction. He also didn't want Gendry to join the RPG party, he initially wanted him to just say "Yeah I'm Collin the blacksmith" and go help cover the breast plates in fur up in Winterfell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"i wish you good fortune in the wars to come" is a pretty good line actually. similar to the curse "may you live in interesting times".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Someone remind me. What was the original "that does make sense" idea dave hill came up with?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Someone remind me. What was the original "that does make sense" idea dave hill came up with?

Olly joining the Watch and killing Ygritte.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

banned from Starbucks posted:

Olly being the one to kill Ygritte, rather than it being unknown who did so Jon can briefly worry whether it was one of his arrows.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ahaha thats right. Thanks

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It was worth it for the Crows Before Hos memes fam

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best was hilariously telegraphing that olly was gonna stab jon.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Adopted son ?

The gently caress?

He knew the guy for like 4 weeks...

That was when 4 weeks was half a season, now it's like the time between scenes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbf Davos' actual son got blown the gently caress up back in S2 and he's completely over it, he was 100% chill with Tyrion and even joked about that time you blew up my child. So clearly being like a son to Davos doesn't amount to much.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Davos had to get Tyrion to King's Landing anyway, no reason not to scope things out while he's there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best was hilariously telegraphing that olly was gonna stab jon.

I remember back during season 5, when I still thought that the show was still nuanced and good, I was expecting the Oly stuff to be a misdirection and that he was going to try and warn Jon about the stabbing. But nope, everything was exactly as stupid as it was telegraphed to be! It was a good preview for most of Season 6.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

WampaLord posted:

He ended up getting all that money back in the end, anyway! :v:

https://imgur.com/22CvW4g

Gendry: Dispenser of Refunds

Davos didn't even bother to pick up the gold afterwards.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

grack posted:

Davos didn't even bother to pick up the gold afterwards.

You just get that back at the experience screen. Everyone knows that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
TOO LATE, IMMERSION RUINED

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

When Sam was all hype about Bran to the maesters, did he say nobody else had survived a year over the wall including the wildlings?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

drunken officeparty posted:

When Sam was all hype about Bran to the maesters, did he say nobody else had survived a year over the wall including the wildlings?

I thought the Free Folk mostly lived north of the Wall

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They do. Before the WW threat, the wildlings only went south of the wall for raids.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Cersei Lannister at the big zombie-war-council summit, regarding a single captive zombie:

"Oh, cool. Qyburn makes those, too. I don't see how this proves poo poo. You should really get around to housebreaking your zombie like I did with mine. BTW I poisoned u all LOL."

This would be a good

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

I thought the Free Folk mostly lived north of the Wall

That's my point. What he said is objectively wrong.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Spoilers say that Gendry gets sent back to the wall to send a distress raven to her and she responds to that.

if only Olenna Tyrell thought of sending a distress raven when her scouts detected a large army moving. if she had scouts in a time of war i guess

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

CalvinandHobbes posted:

if only Olenna Tyrell thought of sending a distress raven when her scouts detected a large army moving. if she had scouts in a time of war i guess

The whole Highgarden sneak attack- a huge army sneaking across hundreds of miles of enemy territory undetected, the garrison of the Tyrell seat of power putting up no fight, the stronghold falling without a siege- is really dumb and forced unless you extrapolate from Tarly's betrayal of the Tyrells. I.E. the scouts and some of the garrison was under his command, and Olenna didn't know he'd defected.

But I don't know what the show writers could have cut to make room for Olenna saying one line to that effect. Maybe part of that 90 second bedpan montage?

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

if they remember to bring a scroll of town portal jon's crew should be fine.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

drunken officeparty posted:

That's my point. What he said is objectively wrong.

He means no one as in "In the last year since everything went to poo poo."

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I like how the year old outline said something along the lines of "and Tyrion walks into the path of the Gold Cloaks in a way that he couldn't have seen them coming (like from around a corner or behind a rock)" and then the director went "psshhh just because you are Dave Hill doesn't mean everything you say makes sense, nerd" and had Tyrion just YOLO past them.

• Locked thread