Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Vargs posted:

It works exactly like that, yeah.

Jboots go for 6-7k. Some sellers will ask you to provide the 3250 gold for the quest. Overall, roughly the same price as a gazughi ring.

I'm in the minority opinion that MQ JBoots are overrated. Buying 10 dose SoW potions for 100pp or less will get you about 300-350 hours of movement speed until you start losing money to a JBoots alternative.

Or, for 5k and change, buy Traveler's Boot which is the same thing but with a 1.5s click timer. It'd be a shame to only get one upgrade out of that 7k

http://wiki.project1999.com/Traveler%27s_Boots

Pillow Armadillo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm in the minority opinion that MQ JBoots are overrated. Buying 10 dose SoW potions for 100pp or less will get you about 300-350 hours of movement speed until you start losing money to a JBoots alternative.

Or, for 5k and change, buy Traveler's Boot which is the same thing but with a 1.5s click timer. It'd be a shame to only get one upgrade out of that 7k

http://wiki.project1999.com/Traveler%27s_Boots
True about the SoW pots but Traveler's Boots are an unnecessary money-sink because you can get Jboots for 5-6k due to competition. Jboots also double as an instant spell refresher and junk buff, which is why they're eventually a better choice than SoW pots and Tboots.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Stories from live are the best. Prekunark I was on a public Vox raid. White dragon scale dropped and I had the highest roll up until the zone crashed. Lucky a IRL friend was on the raid and I called him up and had him vouch for my roll instead of everyone rerolling and a few more people got their rolls in and I won.

That game may have ended up ruining that relationship though.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I remember I had friends coming over for real life DnD and I'd just gotten killed in Permafrost, where I'd never been before. I made them wait an hour while I went on my corpse run like a total rear end in a top hat.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

In 7th (8th?) grade a friend and I were both going to get Everquest and play together. A bit later my dad took him and I to the store where I bought Everquest and also Diablo 2 which had just come out.

We went back to my house and and he made a character on my account that I was to later delete so he could make him at home: a half elf warrior named Sankis. We (mostly I) played Everquest and he eventually got angry at me because he wanted to switch over to Diablo 2 at some point. He ended up never buying the game and I kept playing, and using the name, Sankis.

I only got him up to level 25 or so in the two years I played. I also had a 27ish mage named Nilien. I wish I'd gotten to play the game more but I had a chronic case of altitis.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 30, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember I had friends coming over for real life DnD and I'd just gotten killed in Permafrost, where I'd never been before. I made them wait an hour while I went on my corpse run like a total rear end in a top hat.

This is what everquest did to you.

Sankis posted:

I only got him up to level 25 or so in the two years I played. I also had a 27ish mage named Nilien. I wish I'd gotten to play the game more but I had a chronic case of altitis.

Yeah I got every class up to like level 10 at least and I got Rogue, Enchanter and Magician up to 25-30 back in the day, and never got higher than like 40 when I finally quit.

Altitis kept me from seeing most of EQ so I vowed to stick with one char in most MMOs I played after that.

Its been real cool checking out stuff on p1999 I never saw back then but heard about from other people.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Is it possible to multiquest with yourself?

I.E. turn in a thurg armor item, log off and over to an alt and turn in the gems?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

FungiCap posted:

Is it possible to multiquest with yourself?

I.E. turn in a thurg armor item, log off and over to an alt and turn in the gems?

Yes, assuming no one else messes it up for you in the mean time. Items on vendors typically don't go away until there's an intentional server reset.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I've been reliving my tweens on p99 with my enchanter Kunzool. Been online a bit more often the last couple weeks and made it to level 40. I played a chanter back in the day but leveled mostly outdoors in Kunark & Velious and spent my 50s in POP so it's been fun to rediscover all the classic content I glossed over. I also love that pretty much every fucker I group with seems to have a clicky stick alt camped nearby.

Thinking I'll join Kittens for access to more people and hopefully some regular groups. I'll probably be online this weekend in the evenings if anyone's down to crawl some dungeons or otherwise hit me up on Kunzool!

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Kittens seems like a really fun guild to be in. Should be a blast!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I've thought about joining as well, but I just can't bring myself to abandoning Unknown Guild!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Sankis posted:

In 7th (8th?) grade a friend and I were both going to get Everquest and play together. A bit later my dad took him and I to the store where I bought Everquest and also Diablo 2 which had just come out.

We went back to my house and and he made a character on my account that I was to later delete so he could make him at home: a half elf warrior named Sankis. We (mostly I) played Everquest and he eventually got angry at me because he wanted to switch over to Diablo 2 at some point. He ended up never buying the game and I kept playing, and using the name, Sankis.

You was on Innoruuk right?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

cmdrk posted:

I've thought about joining as well, but I just can't bring myself to abandoning Unknown Guild!
No one will fault you for moving on to leveling/raid guilds that will actually benefit you. Goon solidarity and all that, but goons are spread across other guilds and Unknown Guild is only holding you back. This is spoken from experience and others will tell you the same.

Herv posted:

Kittens seems like a really fun guild to be in. Should be a blast!
Kittens is one of the better leveling guilds on the server that also raids low end content (epic fights, planes, Kael, TOV). They aren't DKP based and have fairly reasonable raid requirements, so you can jump right in and have fun without the pressures of a poopsock guild.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I haven't seen anybody from Unknown online in awhile :smith: Course I rarely play myself, just popping on when I'm drunk, late at night, to buff newbies and and gently caress around usually.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't seen anybody from Unknown online in awhile :smith: Course I rarely play myself, just popping on when I'm drunk, late at night, to buff newbies and and gently caress around usually.

Same. I'm still around casually to port and invite any goons on Klaymen. Probably going to move Hoborg to Kittens or something for the 45-50 grind.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You was on Innoruuk right?

Nope, Fennin Ro.

On an unrelated note, I'm now 34 on my mage and my experiences on live were only to about level 30. What are some cool places to level in my mid 30s? Bonus if it's semi obscure or something

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 15, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Same. I'm still around casually to port and invite any goons on Klaymen. Probably going to move Hoborg to Kittens or something for the 45-50 grind.

I got pulled into FFXIV again but now that I'm at endgame I'm losing steam fast. I'm 39 on my main and if I do push to level more I'll probably drop guild and join Kittens. But we'll see if that happens.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Sankis posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm now 34 on my mage and my experiences on live were only to about level 30. What are some cool places to level in my mid 30s? Bonus if it's semi obscure or something

Kaesora, Droga, Nurga, Tower of the Frozen Shadow are all great, fun zones that not a ton of people go to and are right around that level range. Beware though, they also all have their own downsides. Be it one way entrances, high mob density, casters, fleeing mobs, see invis mobs, etc. If you are are careful and/or have some backup you can still have tons of fun.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sankis posted:

Nope, Fennin Ro.

Do upper guk by the live side zone or live side entrance of lower guk depending where in the 30's you are. Very nice to have a zone line for your exp session.

Same for solb kobolds once you get higher lvl, use the sola zone lines in the same fashion.

Chaining earth pets / fire ds its pretty easy to handle 3 spawns.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sankis posted:

Nope, Fennin Ro.

Crystal Caverns is probably my favorite zone in the game. There's a town of friendly dwarves in there with guards, a bank and some merchants (though you will likely be dubious so selling may be an issue). Zone is typically pretty empty. Early on you can kill orcs, which drop decent vendor trash and are generally fought in groups of 2. Can try our terrors and spiders later on (the spiders drop root nets which are fantastic for a mage). Eventually you can fight geonids, who are absolutely amazing. Single pulls every time and they drop tons of gems that vendor for a lot of money and weigh basically nothing. They're also right next to a zone exit if you do manage to get into trouble.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Vargs posted:

Crystal Caverns is probably my favorite zone in the game. There's a town of friendly dwarves in there with guards, a bank and some merchants (though you will likely be dubious so selling may be an issue). Zone is typically pretty empty. Early on you can kill orcs, which drop decent vendor trash and are generally fought in groups of 2. Can try our terrors and spiders later on (the spiders drop root nets which are fantastic for a mage). Eventually you can fight geonids, who are absolutely amazing. Single pulls every time and they drop tons of gems that vendor for a lot of money and weigh basically nothing. They're also right next to a zone exit if you do manage to get into trouble.

Holy poo poo this zone is amazing. Thanks for the suggestion.

That music.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

e: NM, thinking of something else

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Who wants to trade some epic help this weekend? Got a wizard and ranger that are beginning the quests. Working on a cleric MQ too.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Probably the sunk-cost fallacy keeping me in Unknown Guild. I wonder if I even could bring myself to leave.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 19, 2017

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Starting playing this horrible game again. Play time is usually short bursts of an hour here and there so needed a class that could be fun without groups. Settled on Necromancer for its dungeon solo potential and feign death for easy AFKs. Couldn't bring myself to make an Iksar. Despite their obvious advantages I never get into my lizard characters. Just don't like Kunark as much, it's missing that Tolkienesque feel. Their animations look awful too. So I'm a terrible casual playing a Gnome instead. Hit level 15 a few nights ago in my favorite zone Crushbone. I'll have to get spells in Freeport next level, they aren't sold in Ak'Anon for some reason. Might gently caress around in Befallen if I can get Hungry Earth researched. Welp that's my story thanks for reading.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Summit posted:

Starting playing this horrible game again. Play time is usually short bursts of an hour here and there so needed a class that could be fun without groups. Settled on Necromancer for its dungeon solo potential and feign death for easy AFKs. Couldn't bring myself to make an Iksar. Despite their obvious advantages I never get into my lizard characters. Just don't like Kunark as much, it's missing that Tolkienesque feel. Their animations look awful too. So I'm a terrible casual playing a Gnome instead. Hit level 15 a few nights ago in my favorite zone Crushbone. I'll have to get spells in Freeport next level, they aren't sold in Ak'Anon for some reason. Might gently caress around in Befallen if I can get Hungry Earth researched. Welp that's my story thanks for reading.

Somebody once pointed out Iksar tails look more like a giant turd they're trying to shake out of their rear end and I can't ever unsee it.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Anyone got a copy of Hungry Earth or Words of Material? Got some Words of Spirit from merchants in Oasis but haven't found Material yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Summit posted:

Whats your name in-game? You in Unknown? You set for newbie spell platinum?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I was reading a comic book from 2000 and came across an ad for Kunark that boasted having a player count of 40,000. Surely the player count was higher than that, right?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Summit posted:

Anyone got a copy of Hungry Earth or Words of Material? Got some Words of Spirit from merchants in Oasis but haven't found Material yet.

Still need help with this? Look me up on Klogg.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

I was reading a comic book from 2000 and came across an ad for Kunark that boasted having a player count of 40,000. Surely the player count was higher than that, right?

I want to say the highest EQ ever got as far as current active players go was 400k, probably during Velious. Kunark wasn't too far behind that.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Whats your name in-game? You in Unknown? You set for newbie spell platinum?

Character name is Nipsi. Yeah haven't had any issues paying for spells yet, even untwinked.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Still need help with this? Look me up on Klogg.

Yeah. Some guy is selling the spell for 100pp but can't afford that. Found 3 Words of Spirit but Words of Materials is evading me. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Summit posted:

Character name is Nipsi. Yeah haven't had any issues paying for spells yet, even untwinked.

Yeah. Some guy is selling the spell for 100pp but can't afford that. Found 3 Words of Spirit but Words of Materials is evading me. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Save your plat. I have a copy for you in EC

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anyone selling Holgresh beads on RED? You probably quit months ago, be a pal.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Summit posted:

I have a shitload of necro words on Haughty, if I see you on, I'll dump all of them on you. I bank every component I find for research-only spells.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 23, 2017

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for ya. Should be on late tonight.

Edit: Ended up getting some words off crocs in Oasis then had a higher level Necro combine them for me.

Summit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 24, 2017

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

loving around in Befallen. What a great ZEM that place has. I haven't even been actively leveling on anything yet, just exploring and trying not to die, and I've accidentally earned a decent amount of XP. Hungry Earth (undead root) was a definite necessity as feign death is pretty expensive at this level. It takes quite a lot of mana to split a camp, which doesn't leave much to actually fight the resulting mobs. It's doable but risky and slow. Rooting the add is more efficient if it's possible. Speaking of feign death, this is my first character with that ability and wow, it's really great. Really lets me explore and make mistakes without super punishing corpse runs.

I got an invite to the Auld Lang Something guild, who play the game untwinked and don't use the EC market, but they kicked me out. Apparently they have a policy that you have to join the guild before level 10 and the officer who invited me did not follow that rule. Not even sure why that's a rule, as long as your character is 100% legit I don't see why it matters. Doubly dumb because I inquired for an invite when I was pre-10 but the officer didn't have time to come invite me and then I didn't find another one til just now. Guess I'll have to join one of the other newb guilds or maybe I'll appeal the decision.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Summit posted:

I got an invite to the Auld Lang Something guild, who play the game untwinked and don't use the EC market, but they kicked me out. Apparently they have a policy that you have to join the guild before level 10 and the officer who invited me did not follow that rule. Not even sure why that's a rule, as long as your character is 100% legit I don't see why it matters. Doubly dumb because I inquired for an invite when I was pre-10 but the officer didn't have time to come invite me and then I didn't find another one til just now. Guess I'll have to join one of the other newb guilds or maybe I'll appeal the decision.
That's dumb. The answer is to join Kittens when you hit 15.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

then leave at 60 :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Was it concurrent player count? That sounds about right for the era, I think. Each server had like 1500 on at peak.