Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol. That's what sank mageknight. Imagine if winning tournaments got you format legal cards that were strictly superior​ to standard equivalents.

Wh-what?!

Please expand more, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I want the Bolas but I don't 170$ want the Bolas. I'll buy him separately if I ever feel like it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol. That's what sank mageknight. Imagine if winning tournaments got you format legal cards that were strictly superior​ to standard equivalents.

This is a big problem in a lot of smaller card games. .hack//ENEMY, for example, had a whole series of promos that interacted with each other that required spending resource cards you got from league wins in order to activate, and some of them were flagrantly overpowered, like a card which made your opponent skip up to 5 turns depending on what was on top of your deck.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
I remember way back in the day Yu-Gi-Oh had the same issue. There were only two sets out, and the baseline for a free creature was 1800 attack. Then they went and printed a promo card with 1850 attack.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Walked posted:

Hard pass on these. I kinda want the Chandra but not at what they're asking.

OgreNoah posted:

I want the Bolas but I don't 170$ want the Bolas. I'll buy him separately if I ever feel like it.

Don't give up you're a third of the way there!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I picked it up, because it's a SDCC exclusive and someone will be dumb enough to want them above MSRP.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

This is a big problem in a lot of smaller card games. .hack//ENEMY, for example, had a whole series of promos that interacted with each other that required spending resource cards you got from league wins in order to activate, and some of them were flagrantly overpowered, like a card which made your opponent skip up to 5 turns depending on what was on top of your deck.

KillarySwank posted:

I remember way back in the day Yu-Gi-Oh had the same issue. There were only two sets out, and the baseline for a free creature was 1800 attack. Then they went and printed a promo card with 1850 attack.

A LOT of card games have fallen into this trap. Remember when Gold Sarcophagus was a Shounen Jump champion promo only?

Dragonball Z/GT had the same problem where a lot of the most overpowered cards were promos you could only get by top 32/16/8ing major tournaments. I remember coming back from DBGT worlds in Indianapolis in the early 2000's with a top 32 promo I ended up selling for $1,500 because it was that retardedly powerful. Then the game died like 2-3 years later. :v:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

KillarySwank posted:

Wait I thought all of yugioh was based off of 100s. Wouldn't that make 1850 like 18 & 1/2?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PJOmega posted:

Wait I thought all of yugioh was based off of 100s. Wouldn't that make 1850 like 18 & 1/2?

The early game was weird.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

that card was certainly a card in the tv show

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KillarySwank posted:

Oh god, there were a lot of cards like that in the olden days. The two most important ones at the time were, like,

Harpie's Feather Duster was only available with a GBA game. As the only card of its kind, it was fairly useful. Gryphorn's Wing was a card that did nothing but botch a Feather Duster, and it was in a starter deck. What?

Fairy King Truesdale's buff to plants was enough to make a plant deck based on Lord Poison and Lekunga almost sorta work... except it was packaged with a GBA game.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wh-what?!

Please expand more, please.

Yeah it was pretty funny. It was a minis game that I guess is now heroclix? Anyway, standard point budget type thing where the more badass the mini the more point cost it ate. Uncommon and rare copies of the figs had a different colour scheme and had better stats, oftentimes better at a higher rate than the boost in their point costs. Tournament promos though, would usually be even better with exactly the same cost as the rare version, or cheaper even and there were not construction rules really.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh god, there were a lot of cards like that in the olden days. The two most important ones at the time were, like,

Harpie's Feather Duster was only available with a GBA game. As the only card of its kind, it was fairly useful. Gryphorn's Wing was a card that did nothing but botch a Feather Duster, and it was in a starter deck. What?

Fairy King Truesdale's buff to plants was enough to make a plant deck based on Lord Poison and Lekunga almost sorta work... except it was packaged with a GBA game.

Fairly useful is an understatement, that card has been banned for like a decade

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateNu posted:

A LOT of card games have fallen into this trap. Remember when Gold Sarcophagus was a Shounen Jump champion promo only?

Dragonball Z/GT had the same problem where a lot of the most overpowered cards were promos you could only get by top 32/16/8ing major tournaments. I remember coming back from DBGT worlds in Indianapolis in the early 2000's with a top 32 promo I ended up selling for $1,500 because it was that retardedly powerful. Then the game died like 2-3 years later. :v:

Oh christ. Nothing like spending $100 or more apiece to get copies of Namekian Strike.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

AlternateNu posted:

Those stats are some un-set level of bullshit

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Mage Knight was so sweet. I'm now inspired to try to find some on eBay or w/e

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sit on my Facebook posted:

Mage Knight was so sweet. I'm now inspired to try to find some on eBay or w/e

At least you can play overpriced SNES games by yourself.

Don't buy cards for dead card games.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Star Man posted:

No, you don't want mechanically unique promos in this game.

Fortunately they learned their lesson early with Mana Crypt.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Star Man posted:

Naw, man, go nuts. I got a binder filled with Megaman card game cards for 10 bucks, and it's a giggle to look through and even occasionally sleeve up and play with a friend. Dead CGs go for pennies, and usually can be good for a day or two of decent enough games.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

I still have a giant box of all my old VS System cards.

I got super excited when I heard it was coming back! Then I found out they remade the game using a dumb avatar based system.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well, magic kind of has the problem of unique promo cards in that a couple of Three Kingdom cards are completely and wholly unique mechanically and thus irreplaceable in some decks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

book dragon was insanely expensive, although not actually any good. arena was a fun card actually but i think they reprinted it timeshifted

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KillarySwank posted:

Those stats are some un-set level of bullshit

there are like, maybe 3 monsters in the whole game with stats not divisible by 50, and it's just the weirdest poo poo cause it's not like it's for balancing reasons

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You're wrong on this one. Storm has been showing up in increasing numbers and consistently putting out results at events. A second copy at 12th in that same event, a 3rd at 25th. 6th at the classic the week before, 7th in the open with 2 more in the top 16. That's just at a quick glance at SCG opens/classics in the last 2 weeks. It's a decent, resilient deck. Anecdotal, but at a pptq 2 weeks ago I had to play against it twice, once in the top 8. Not everyone who plays it is good at it though.

Just because a deck is bad doesn't mean it can't put up results. Especially in modern.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rabidsquid posted:

book dragon was insanely expensive, although not actually any good. arena was a fun card actually but i think they reprinted it timeshifted

Nalathni? It was a pack-in with a copy of Duelist, and I think a giveaway at some convention.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I don't think that was ever worth anything since I've had one kicking around for decades and it has survived multiple sells.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Star Man posted:

At least you can play overpriced SNES games by yourself.

Nah man the mini figures not the cards

Also I have 4 game loving best buds who would totally indulge me in some Mage Knight

Also don't tell me what to do you're not my dad :colbert:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I have a shitload of those Star Wars minis that came with a card and you played on a square grid. Pretty sure that game is dead. I should get rid of them. loving $15 blind boxes, what an idiot.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nah man the mini figures not the cards

Also I have 4 game loving best buds who would totally indulge me in some Mage Knight

Also don't tell me what to do you're not my dad :colbert:

He's not the pope of you! Also cracking $20 booster boxes is fun

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I have it too! It was pretty fun, shame about $15 blind boxes, what an idiot.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I use my old mage night stuff as d&d minis - still getting some value from them.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

This whole Yugioh promo thing is extremely outdated for a time when those promos were relatively easy to get and not actually priced to a ridiculous point. Yugioh has done promos that are only available from playing at the major tournaments in the past few years (at least until reprinted in a constructed deck tanking the price down to a few cents as is standard operating procedure with Yugioh). Those promos have been worth a few hundred dollars and have been constructed staples. For example:

This card was the Yugioh Championship Series promo for 2013, the example I remember when I actually looked into the "promo only cards playable in real formats." If you look at the price history on Yugioh prices, it goes back to beginning of 2016 at over $500 and has dropped to around $350 today for the promo version. This was playable/staple in the 2013 constructed season, and I remember it being over $800, maybe more. This was put into a special set in Q1 2014 that included a bunch of previous promos, and that version is worth $3-5. Yugioh is filled with examples of things like this.

Similarly, a few years earlier in the other major TCG I remember this, Pokemon World Championship promo from 2011-2012:

quote:

Two copies of each of the top-ranking versions were awarded to respective players across the three divisions making a total of 192 top thirty-two versions, 96 top sixteen versions, 48 quarter-finalist versions, 24 semi-finalist versions, and 12 finalist versions at each tournament. For the first time at Worlds 2012, a champion version was also produced. Two copies were awarded to those who placed first in each division, making a total of six.

This was a 4-of in a top deck of the format. At the time I want to say it was something around $300 a copy. Keep in mind that Pokemon is by far the cheapest of the 3 TCGs to make a good standard deck in, as all the value is in foil full arts/fancy secret rares that aren't that good for competitive play, and most of the fancy stuff you can easily get cheap common versions of with the exception of a few staple Pokemon cards that might be $10-$15 each.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

How much is YGO vs Magic anyway? The local young adults who all played YGO all seem to be getting out of it, and when asked they say either 'the new rules suck' (something about links and zones and I don't know) or that it's too expensive now.

The one guy spends hundreds on EDH a month.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

How much is YGO vs Magic anyway? The local young adults who all played YGO all seem to be getting out of it, and when asked they say either 'the new rules suck' (something about links and zones and I don't know) or that it's too expensive now.

YGO runs on a parasitic cycle worse than our normal standard rotation. Basically, Konami prints a new archetype in each set that is super pushed which invariably becomes the dominant deck of the format. (Of course, all of the key cards in the archetype will be ultra rare or higher.) Then, once the next set is about to come out, they ban or restrict that new archetype into oblivion tanking the card value for that deck. The YGO ban list updates every 6 months or so, so less frequently than Magic's, but they're waaaaay more proactive about pulling poo poo on or off the list. And once the key cards of an archetype are banned/restricted, they'll just print the poo poo out of them in secondary products to tank their value even more. So, the value disparity between "good" vs. "bad" cards is much higher.

It's horrid. And there are no real modern, legacy, or EDH analogous formats where you can at least get some use out of your old cards.

As far as the guys complaining about rules, they recently revamped the layout of the battlefield and how positioning works, and a lot of the new rules completely neutered not just an archetype, but an entire build-around summoning method that they've been pushing for the last few years. So all those cards are now worth jack in order to push the new summoning method.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 15, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

So, Yugioh actually has a MASSIVE rules revamp that completely changed everything about competitive play. I'm reading up on it now, but here's the gist of it:

Before major revamp: Game is balanced around special summoning lots of monsters from the Extra Deck (where fusion cards and the like go). You can often put stuff into play from the extra deck for free with some minor costs of combining your monsters in play. Up until 2016 the competitive decks were all built around cycling cards that dumped stuff onto the field that let you summon very powerful things from the extra deck quickly. Each player had access to 5 monster slots on the board, and 5 spell slots, along with 2 spell slots on the sides for pendulums (a special type of enchantment-like effect that let you do really abusive things if you had specific pendulum cards on the left and right side simultaneously). Every deck relied on summoning a lot of things from the extra deck in one turn.

After major revamp:
- There are now 2 "extra deck monster" slots. Every monster summoned from an extra deck MUST start out going into the extra deck monster slots. A player can only use one of them at a time, and they're shared between both players. Yes, you're reading this right, the new rules change fundamentally breaks EVERY competitive deck in the entire game and forces every player to make completely new decks that function differently to be viable. Yes, this involves buying lots of new cards.
- A new card type, "link monsters," is introduced. A link monster is summoned from the extra deck by sacrificing a few other monsters in play (much like all previous extra deck summons). The kicker is a link monster has a bunch of arrows pointing out in the 8 directions from the card. Once in play, any slot on the board that a link monster has an arrow pointing to now counts as an extra deck monster slot.
-Pendulum slots now replace spell slots instead of being in addition to them, greatly restricting how many spell effects a pendulum deck can use at once.

I looked up the the prices on the cards from the 1st place deck here: http://roadoftheking.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_World_Championship_2016_Decks

Note this deck is completely non-functional now, and would have to be either scrapped completely or largely revamped to be playable today. This runs about $200 maindeck, $70 extra deck, and $30 sideboard. That's about the price of a standard deck in Magic. I don't know what the prices were like before the revamp, but I know an extra deck is and has always been a few hundred dollars, and there's always maindeck staples that are around $80 or so.

And yes, this is about the typical abuse a Yugioh player can expect every 6 months from Konami.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

WotC 2018: "Players can no longer play lands. Whenever a player casts a spell, they must sacrifice 4 lands. Here's some new cards we're printing in the upcoming expansion:"

Land Summoner 2G
Creature - Human Wizard (Mythic Rare)
Land Spawn (Reveal Land Summoner from your hand: You may put a land from your hand into play. Activate only one Land Spawn ability each turn and only any time you could play a sorcery.)
Land Attunement (Casting this spell doesn't require you to sacrifice lands.)
3/3

Cancellation 1UU
Instant (Mythic Rare)
Counter target spell.
Land Attunement

"We found that graveyard strategies under the new rules were too dominant in playtesting, as mechanics like Eternalize provided a way to effectively cast spells at much lower cost than we intended. As an answer for these powerful decks, we're printing the following:"

Knight of Lockdown WW
Creature - Human Knight (Mythic Rare)
Land Attunement, First Strike
When ~ ETB, exile all cards from all graveyards. You gain an emblem with "If a card would be put into the graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead."
3/3

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Just because a deck is bad doesn't mean it can't put up results. Especially in modern.

thanks mcmagic, i was almost fooled by the deck repeatedly placing in major tournaments. good thing we have a more accurate metric: your dumb rear end opinions

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I'm going to play this deck this weekend.

Main

2 Abrade
2 countervailing winds
1 lightning axe
3 Cryptic Serpent
2 curious homunculus
2 baral, chief of compliance
4 Enigma Drake
3 Fevered Visions
2 Fling
3 Shock
1 Hieroglyphic illumination
2 Disallow
2 Sweltering Suns
2 Winds of Rebuke
2 Torrential Gearhulk
3 Insult // Injury

3 Spirebluff canal
3 Aether Hub
4 Ipnu Rivulet
5 Island
5 Mountain
4 Ramunap Ruins

Sideboard

1 Abrade
3 disallow
2 Dispel
1 Hieroglyphic Illumination
2 Lightning Axe
2 Negate
1 Sweltering Suns
2 Unsubstantiate
1 Winds of Rebuke

Censor has been a not great card recently mostly due to it being useless as a counterspell late game. Although cycling is nice, I put in countervailing winds instead. Tips?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i played yugioh from around metal raiders until i wanna say 04/05ish. the tipping point for me was them banning man-eater bug which was one of the only reliable forms of removal in the game, and them crossing a line by declaring functional errata on a card named bazoo the soul eater. it was a creature that had 1600 attack, and before attacks you could exile up to 3 cards from your graveyard to increase its power by 300 for every time you did so until end of turn. their errata when it began to take over the game was now it could only exile creature cards.