Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Exactly, combat is loving dull and if your fleets decided to emergency FTL on their own because they were scared it would not improve things

If ships were sometimes disabled instead of blown up and auto retreated (with more surviving in friendly territory) when they ran out of working ships kind of like shattered retreat it would in fact be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I mean, ships retreating on their own could be both annoying and good depending on the situation. But there's so much other poo poo that is more important to fix than how fleet battles currently work so

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Omniblivion posted:

I mean, ships retreating on their own could be both annoying and good depending on the situation. But there's so much other poo poo that is more important to fix than how fleet battles currently work so

Strategic combat and diplomancy are probably the two most important things in a fighty map game though? So like transport bullshit, war in general and diplomancy are kind of improtant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why morale!! Why!! How is the ship feeling about this battle it's in?? Will the ship fail its morale roll and begin to flee? Flee how, like will the crew drop oars into space and start frantically rowing? Who knows, hell at any moment the crew may mutiny!! Make the captain walk the plank!! It's the 1600s in space because we have to imitate everything that ever happened in the past forever and ever

Obviously the captain goes out of the porthole on top of the bridge and takes down his space flag.

The same way ships fled historically, the captain says "gently caress this" and legs it. Captains are not, despite the best efforts of admiralties the world over, perfect patriotic automatons.

Unless they literally are because you appointed PatriotismBot9000 as leader of your fleet.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

all of my ships are piloted by sentient ai whose increased performance is derived from their fear of death
...i think that's what the flavor text says

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

all of my ships are piloted by sentient ai whose increased performance is derived from their fear of death
...i think that's what the flavor text says

Mine are piloted by Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
War is the core of the game, and the core of the game should be good. Shattered retreat helps wars in other Paradox games have more than a single fight.

What we're talking about is reducing the impact of a decisive victory on the losing party, in order to make wars less all-or-nothing. The flip side of this is making aggression have a cost to the victor. Right now, only early game fights have the winner taking significant losses, as they tend to be when fleets are much closer in relative power levels. Some form of attrition would help here, or possibly making energy costs scale with distance from the nearest starbase, rather than the on/off switch it is now.

A lot of numbers in the game could do with being rescaled though, not just that one. Another option is making ships hardier but much more expensive and fleet caps more punishing, to deliver smaller fleets where even the victor's losses can be significant throughout the game.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

So like transport bullshit, war in general and diplomancy are kind of improtant

These are separate things than how fleets retreat from each other with emergency FTL

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Aethernet posted:

War is the core of the game, and the core of the game should be good. Shattered retreat helps wars in other Paradox games have more than a single fight.

What we're talking about is reducing the impact of a decisive victory on the losing party, in order to make wars less all-or-nothing. The flip side of this is making aggression have a cost to the victor. Right now, only early game fights have the winner taking significant losses, as they tend to be when fleets are much closer in relative power levels. Some form of attrition would help here, or possibly making energy costs scale with distance from the nearest starbase, rather than the on/off switch it is now.

A lot of numbers in the game could do with being rescaled though, not just that one. Another option is making ships hardier but much more expensive and fleet caps more punishing, to deliver smaller fleets where even the victor's losses can be significant throughout the game.

Yeah they just have to crib some incarnation of combat width and shattered retreat from their other games. Condottieri rebranded as lend/lease or some poo poo would be good too as would a space UN.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

But Sandwiches, there should totally be morale mechanics in Stellaris because XCOM has them :v:

Despite his real dumb shitposty reaction, I'm actually with Sandwiches/Rhakthar on not adding in a whole morale mechanic, but I also think retreat in general is a thing that needs to be looked at. Something like this:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If ships were sometimes disabled instead of blown up and auto retreated (with more surviving in friendly territory) when they ran out of working ships kind of like shattered retreat it would in fact be good

Seems like a good base to build off of, since I'm already toting the idea of ships having a chance of surviving fatal damage when in friendly territory and all that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
morale in every other paradox game is an hp bar that turns combat-ready troops into retreating troops. you can call it whatever you want, it's still the same thing if it means that most of a losing fleet is just hors de combat instead of dead loving dead.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Psycho Landlord posted:

But Sandwiches, there should totally be morale mechanics in Stellaris because XCOM has them :v:

Despite his real dumb shitposty reaction, I'm actually with Sandwiches/Rhakthar on not adding in a whole morale mechanic, but I also think retreat in general is a thing that needs to be looked at. Something like this:

Seems like a good base to build off of, since I'm already toting the idea of ships having a chance of surviving fatal damage when in friendly territory and all that.

if i remember right, distant worlds has a thing were severely damaged ships would become disabled and it was possible for anyone to come in, repair them and take the ship for theirselves.
although i think the ai would usually just keep firing until everything blew up regardless

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Wouldn't area effect weapons incentivize people to split up fleets? Sure it would be a tricky thing to balance but I think incentivizing people to do something is better than forcing them to do it.

These area effect weapons would damage a large % of the ships in a fleet, meaning they are more effective against bigger fleets. It would need to come with general improvements to fleet and battle management though.. otherwise it would create too much micro babysitting the 10 fleets instead of the 1.

Combined with working fleet formation mechanics I think it would create a pretty fun experience.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who isn't great at combat and who just goes "auto-best" on all ships, area of effect weapons to make a tricky balance whatever sounds like the opposite of a fun experience. And having morale is dumb when morale is just like another health bar except this one makes you have to sigh and go track down your rear end in a top hat fleeing troops.

I don't really play CK2 or Stellaris for the deep combat experience.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Can someone explain whats going on with this tooltip? I'm the Dyss Republic and they clearly don't dislike me so why is that being used as a reason for them to turn down a federation invitation?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Spaseman posted:

Can someone explain whats going on with this tooltip? I'm the Dyss Republic and they clearly don't dislike me so why is that being used as a reason for them to turn down a federation invitation?

Your Republic's logo is way too fancy for them. Logo envy as it were.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SirTagz posted:

Wouldn't area effect weapons incentivize people to split up fleets? Sure it would be a tricky thing to balance but I think incentivizing people to do something is better than forcing them to do it.

These area effect weapons would damage a large % of the ships in a fleet, meaning they are more effective against bigger fleets. It would need to come with general improvements to fleet and battle management though.. otherwise it would create too much micro babysitting the 10 fleets instead of the 1.

Combined with working fleet formation mechanics I think it would create a pretty fun experience.

That would just mean there's an optimal fleet size that constantly changes depending on how much AoE the AI feels like putting on it's ships - it means there's a constantly shifting breakpoint of when you should switch your entire fleets weapons to AoE and when you should keep them single target. That just sounds like a nightmare - and a really unintuitive implementation of an AoE weapon in the first place. Which is mostly because you can't put the common sense version of an AoE weapon (you know, the one just does damage in an area around the thing it hits) in the game because we don't have control over how ships move or behave in fights.

The lack of any hands-on combat limits how much interesting weird stuff you can do with direct combat mechancis, so the automated, hands-off stuff like automatic retreats and partial-routs instead of ship destruction is the only design space left.

Personally I'd go for either a maximum fleet size supported per system so your increasingly large deathball stops scale infinitely or, and this is I think the better option:

A hard limit on fleet number by forcing a fleet to have an admiral and a hard limit on the size of the fleet by linking it to the skill of the admiral and technologies. That way small warlike empires can punch above their weight by skimping on governors, generals and (in emergencies) scientists to hire more admirals, to get more ships on the board. More scientific empires might opt to go for less admirals with better CnC technology and ship tech - fewer fleets with more powerful ships. Government and Ethos bonuses can be made more directly impactful on war in that way too - with military focused governments getting access to more admiral slots, or admirals that don't take leader slots, etc.

Factions in your empire might want you to maintain a minumum numbers of fleets or fleets of certain sizes - or dislike it if you have too many fleets and so on. If we do get a big Space UN they might dictate that all member empires maintain no more than x number of fleets - things like this were always fun in MoO3 because you had to weigh the benefit of being in the big boys club that protects you when someone outside is mean to you with the negative of being constrained in what technology you use or how you expand. Wait this isn't about fleets anymore I'll stop.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 15, 2017

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

BadOptics posted:

Your Republic's logo is way too fancy for them. Logo envy as it were.

Pretty sure it is broken, I have that on all the empires with a stacking malus for everyone in my federation. Stellaris :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DatonKallandor posted:

A hard limit on fleet number by forcing a fleet to have an admiral and a hard limit on the size of the fleet by linking it to the skill of the admiral and technologies. That way small warlike empires can punch above their weight by skimping on governors, generals and (in emergencies) scientists to hire more admirals, to get more ships on the board. More scientific empires might opt to go for less admirals with better CnC technology and ship tech - fewer fleets with more powerful ships. Government and Ethos bonuses can be made more directly impactful on war in that way too - with military focused governments getting access to more admiral slots, or admirals that don't take leader slots, etc.

Factions in your empire might want you to maintain a minumum numbers of fleets or fleets of certain sizes - or dislike it if you have too many fleets and so on. If we do get a big Space UN they might dictate that all member empires maintain no more than x number of fleets - things like this were always fun in MoO3 because you had to weigh the benefit of being in the big boys club that protects you when someone outside is mean to you with the negative of being constrained in what technology you use or how you expand. Wait this isn't about fleets anymore I'll stop.

This is also a thing I think would be a good idea. For how stupid the SotS2 mission system was, I did actually really like the Admiralty and Command limits it had in place. It made multi-front warfare more feasible and individual fights less immediately decisive.

On paper anyway, this is SotS2 we're talking about so what actually ended up happening was everyone spawned inside the sun.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why morale!! Why!! How is the ship feeling about this battle it's in?? Will the ship fail its morale roll and begin to flee? Flee how, like will the crew drop oars into space and start frantically rowing? Who knows, hell at any moment the crew may mutiny!! Make the captain walk the plank!! It's the 1600s in space because we have to imitate everything that ever happened in the past forever and ever

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's always nice when people drop by threads full of content and engaging in lively discussion only to post crap like this. Thanks for your contribution.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Pretty sure it is broken, I have that on all the empires with a stacking malus for everyone in my federation. Stellaris :v:

At least it doesn't really matter in this case I guess, one or five -1000s is still the same at the end of the day.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Implement ship supplies like SEV or better still, Aurora. And make them a physical good that has to be manufactured on a planet and shipped out to supply outposts or the like.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Mister Adequate posted:

Implement Aurora.

Wiz do this. Give Steve a couple thousand bucks for the rights and just make Aurora With Modern Code.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Could it be that you are allied or federated with a race that has comitted genocide? Are you Italy to Nazi Germany and no-one likes you?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

Personally I'd go for either a maximum fleet size supported per system so your increasingly large deathball stops scale infinitely or, and this is I think the better option:

This doesn't really touch the deathball issue, it just makes it more fiddly to manage. A while back someone suggested a soft cap per fight rather than per system, which works for me.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

It's a misleading tooltip. What it actually means is 'acceptance for joining a federation is too low with this empire'. It'll vanish if all other reasons to say no also vanish.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Splicer posted:

This doesn't really touch the deathball issue, it just makes it more fiddly to manage. A while back someone suggested a soft cap per fight rather than per system, which works for me.

There was something like that in the Europa Universalis games with naval combat, where only a certain percentage of a large fleet could bring their guns to bear at the same time based on how many targets there were. I don't know if that makes sense in a space combat setting though, since there's so much room and more degrees of freedom.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I'm wondering how the machine empire localisation will work.
*hopes for an easy way to overwrite localisations so hive mind/machine empires can have their own style of event texts/messages*

I would totally rewrite all my events in a cold calculating machine empire style for them.

Man 1.8 is looking cool, hope it doesn't arrive too soon. I have 30 more mini events to write <.<

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

That would just mean there's an optimal fleet size that constantly changes depending on how much AoE the AI feels like putting on it's ships - it means there's a constantly shifting breakpoint of when you should switch your entire fleets weapons to AoE and when you should keep them single target. That just sounds like a nightmare - and a really unintuitive implementation of an AoE weapon in the first place. Which is mostly because you can't put the common sense version of an AoE weapon (you know, the one just does damage in an area around the thing it hits) in the game because we don't have control over how ships move or behave in fights.

The lack of any hands-on combat limits how much interesting weird stuff you can do with direct combat mechancis, so the automated, hands-off stuff like automatic retreats and partial-routs instead of ship destruction is the only design space left.

I basically agree with all you say about my AOE idea. Your thoughts on capping fleet size using leaders/tech are better.

However I disagree with most which just tries to push the game into EU in space category because it is a familiar format - like max fleet size supported per system. That just makes no sense for me. The fleets cannot forage off planets like they can off land in EU. Also there is no terrain or spacing problems in space. bla bla gameplay over realism but I think there are better options than going this strict limitation way (like your leader idea)

Overall I wish there was a way to incentivize people to split up the fleet themselves without hardcapping them to anything. Tweek the mechanics so that multiple fleets would have a distinct benefit - that is what I was trying to (badly) offer with AOE. If that requires more direct control over fleets then that is fine by me. However I realize I am the minority here among all the hardcore Paradox fans.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SirTagz posted:

However I realize I am the minority here among all the hardcore Paradox fans.

This is my second Paradox game ever, I just don't want to micromanage my fights. Because as I mentioned, they aren't really the main draw for me.

There are other reasons one might not want to micromanage combat!

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I have another great idea inspired by the upcoming planetary invasion mechanics. Lets remove fleets alltogether and just add an 'INVADE' button to the diplomacy screen that calculates your win chances from your leader stats / production capability etc. Micro is such a drag

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SirTagz posted:

I have another great idea inspired by the upcoming planetary invasion mechanics. Lets remove fleets alltogether and just add an 'INVADE' button to the diplomacy screen that calculates your win chances from your leader stats / production capability etc. Micro is such a drag
Pointless micro, yes. "I want to send these 60 ships from place A to place B but because my fleet cap is 10 I need to send them in six groups with six times the clicks but once they get there they function exactly like the current 60 ship deathballs" is pretty much the definition of pointless micro.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Attrition was also a part of keeping EU deathballs under control so maybe what we need is space attrition or some other way to make ship limits a per-system rather than per-fleet issue.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Maybe make it so that the larger a (system-wide) fleet is the less cohesive it is and the more likely it is to have collisions or desertions or mutinies or the like. And tie that to the admiral's skills and traits so that a good commander nullifies or mitigates those adverse effects.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LogisticEarth posted:

Or it would improve stuff greatly, since your fleets would flee when they're getting creamed, without you having to babysit them constantly.

But if your fleet is getting creamed you've lost the game anyway so what's the point? Other than when it's fighting static stuff like Leviathans or whatever.

So recently I've noticed the AI doing really bizzare things with corvettes. Flying them around lots all on their own then attacking spaceports or frontier outposts. Has anyone else seen this? I can't work it out. It's almost like they think these small fleets are full powered ones because it's meaning "Inferior" ranked races are declaring war on me to get themselves genocided.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Taear posted:

But if your fleet is getting creamed you've lost the game anyway so what's the point? Other than when it's fighting static stuff like Leviathans or whatever.

Only if your fleet is currently assembled in a single huge blob and you have no prospect of enlarging it enough to overcome the enemy fleet. I mean literally every other paradox game has this mechanic and it's not the case there so why would it be here?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chalks posted:

Only if your fleet is currently assembled in a single huge blob and you have no prospect of enlarging it enough to overcome the enemy fleet. I mean literally every other paradox game has this mechanic and it's not the case there so why would it be here?

I dunno, I feel like Crusader Kings 2 it's basically the same. A single huge blob that fights their huge blob and whoever loses that fight has almost definitely lost the war.
Although I guess there are more ways to enhance that blob in CK2.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
In both CK2 and EUIV you have to pay something to siege down a fort, namely manpower. In Stellaris sieging is effectively free, assuming you win, and if you bombard down defences first winning is practically guaranteed. This means that while an aggressor in the former two games will grow weaker even if they win the first big fight, in Stellaris they keep their victorious level of strength.

I would make bombing cost energy, to emphasise the volume of munitions you're throwing down.

Edit: or just have planetary defences continue to shoot down ships until the planet is sieged down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Invasions are too one-sided. Either your planet isn't being attacked, or it gets bombarded and invaded and there's really no way to win a ground combat as the defender except hoping the enemy didn't bring enough transports. I am not sure how to fix it but it's so simplistic now it isn't interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Invasions are too one-sided. Either your planet isn't being attacked, or it gets bombarded and invaded and there's really no way to win a ground combat as the defender except hoping the enemy didn't bring enough transports. I am not sure how to fix it but it's so simplistic now it isn't interesting.

This was my point from earlier. Yes space combat needs sorting but at the moment ground combat is pointless busy work. You may as well switch the "invade" button for an "I win" switch. And that's not factoring in having to babysit the transports in the first place.

• Locked thread