Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would assume all astartes are ambidextrous. It'd be a waste not to be, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I was just looking for a new case myself and found this:

Tabletop Tyrant Miniature Wargaming Storage / Model Cases, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1456006192/tabletop-tyrant-miniature-wargaming-storage-model-0

I like the way the bag zips down, as opposed to reaching in. Seems pretty reasonably priced too.

Oh hey, Tabletop Tyrant's my LGS - their cases are fairly decent; I own the Companion Skirmish case, which is a small card case for, well, skirmish games, and it's pretty solid considering it's only £10, including choice of foam. I assume they're fairly similar to the KR ones, but more budget. I haven't used the larger, fabric cases, but a lot of the guys down here use them and seem happy with them. I'd probably recommend them, if only to support a Good Business run by Cool People. I might be a little biased though.

Edit: If you were to place an order you should probably do it through their website rather than a Kickstarter from ages ago. https://www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk/

Hummingbird James fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 15, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I use Feldher since I initially bought it for Xwang since you can buy it off Amazon and liked it enough to get some pluck foam to use for my 40k models.

Are the absolver pistols hand agnostic or are both the chaplain and apothecary right hand only?

It's as was said, but I just cut the apothecary's one to fit because I had it and didn't want to spend £23 for just the pistol.

Artum fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 14, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Too many words, not enough pictures. Blood angel poo poo I've finished recently. The decals on the repulsor are a little hosed. I didn't get a good enough gloss coat on before putting the decals on. Oh well, at 350 points I don't know how often I'll be fielding it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I would assume all astartes are ambidextrous. It'd be a waste not to be, right?
I'm pretty sure they are in the fluff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Liquid Communism posted:

So now that I'm getting to play soonish, I realize a difficulty.

I'm like two decades behind, what do goonhams use for carrying armies these days? My old solution of 'some cardboard boxes and recycled computer case packing' seems really lovely now that I have actual disposable income.

I used rifles cases for most of my vehicles since 1995. Worked great for rhinos, dreads and land speeders. Does not work for troops since they can slosh due to size.
Rifle case is like $20.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Holy poo poo those blood angels look amazing.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Booley posted:

Too many words, not enough pictures. Blood angel poo poo I've finished recently. The decals on the repulsor are a little hosed. I didn't get a good enough gloss coat on before putting the decals on. Oh well, at 350 points I don't know how often I'll be fielding it.

Hot drat :perfect:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Booley posted:

BAs were my first 40k army, and I'll always love a good candy apple red coat :allears:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm OK with the Chaos codex.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I used rifles cases for most of my vehicles since 1995. Worked great for rhinos, dreads and land speeders. Does not work for troops since they can slosh due to size.
Rifle case is like $20.

Using rifle cases can be risky though.

Some people can lose their minds just seeing a case that can hold a gun. There's also the theft angle too. People know what gun cases look like, and some will break into your car to steal what they think is a gun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

:five:

What's your photo setup? I've only recently become dissatisfied with taking lovely cellphone pics on my kitchen table.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

:five:

What's your photo setup? I've only recently become dissatisfied with taking lovely cellphone pics on my kitchen table.

Ignoring the actual gear I'm using (I'm a product photographer for a living, so I'd bet my poo poo is fancier than what you'd get), it's basically a roll of black paper swept down onto a table with a piece of black acrylic on the bottom. A large softbox behind the camera, a white card to the right of the modes and a focused light off to the left and behind.

here's a rough diagram: http://prntscr.com/g8j8tu

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Booley posted:

These fuckin own man. Great job! I love how clean they are.

parabolic posted:

Any quick pro-cons of buying the physical codex versus the digital enhanced edition? At the same price I might just get the physical book, but perhaps I'm underselling the benefits of searching and informational popups. Did they ever update with released errata in the past?

Physical codex pros: Have a physical book, easier to thumb through and bookmark, feels better to use. Cost seems less egregious when you are paying for physical, printed materials. Book is very high quality. Easy to take places with you, no need to load up a tablet, easy to lend to someone or hand off when someone needs to read a rule. Smells great when you first tear it out of the plastic wrap

Physical Codex Cons: No automatic updates for errata, clarifications, and points costs changes. Book is hardcover, e.g. heavy, large. Lots of pages devoted to fluff you'll never really use. Sits on your shelf, letting guests to your home know you're a warhammer player, e.g. not worth the time to interact with

Digital Codex Pros: Digital format is automatically updated when they issue new errata, rules changes, or points changes. Never worry about printing off FAQs to go with your physical book--just open the iOS version or re-download the ebook, free of charge. Easy to see in a dark space on lit screens. Doesn't take up any physical space in your apartment or house, ensuring that something else will ruin your interactions with guests instead

Digital Codex Cons: Costs the same as the physical codex, with no physical goods received. Using at a game requires loading it up on a tablet or phone, which is a shittier experience. Smells like whatever your phone or tablet smells like, e.g. sweaty pocket rear end

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
this is my kitbashed Tech Marine that I use as Belesarius Cawl.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

this is my kitbashed Tech Marine that I use as Belesarius Cawl.is incredibly badass.

Fixed your post, that looks awesome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Ignoring the actual gear I'm using (I'm a product photographer for a living, so I'd bet my poo poo is fancier than what you'd get), it's basically a roll of black paper swept down onto a table with a piece of black acrylic on the bottom. A large softbox behind the camera, a white card to the right of the modes and a focused light off to the left and behind.

here's a rough diagram: http://prntscr.com/g8j8tu

Do you have any guides or suggestions for us peons who don't do this for a living? Any entry level gear or stuff that would go a long way towards making good pics?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The Repulsor is cool and good, even if there are parts of it that reminded me of assembling the old Land Speeder.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

TheChirurgeon posted:

Physical v. digital codex

Thanks for the run down. I might have to bow to practicality and go digital.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you have any guides or suggestions for us peons who don't do this for a living? Any entry level gear or stuff that would go a long way towards making good pics?

A real camera with manual controls, a tripod, and a grey card (https://www.amazon.com/Anwenk-Balance-Exposure-Photography-Calibration/dp/B01DPV5PUA) is the most important thing. If you've got that, you can use window light and a long exposure and get a great result. The GW guide (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/) is actually not bad. Make sure to check your camera manual for how to use the grey card to set your white balance, it's absolutely key to getting color accurate photos.

Whether you follow GWs tutorial or mine, turn off any lights in the room you're in. They're probably lower quality and coming from a bad direction, so will contaminate the shot.

To try to match me:
Get the camera as low as you can. No, lower. The closer you can get it to level with the base the more heroic they'll look.

Get a roll of paper (either black or white or both, depending on what you want) https://www.amazon.com/HEWLETT-PACKARD-HPQ1396A-HP-UNVRSL-PAPER/dp/B008AUFFKW
If you want the reflection, get a sheet of acrylic from your local plastic supplier. In Seattle and apparently Portland and a fair bit of California I'd use Tap Plastics. Thin is fine. If you tell them what you're doing with it they'll usually know what you want.

For the main light (behind the camera, maybe a little bit offset to the right) you want something as big as you can get. Easy way to do that is to get something like this(https://www.amazon.com/Woods-0151-150-Watt-8-5-Inch-Reflector/dp/B000HHQ94C), put the brightest/highest CRI daylight bulb you can find in it (something like https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/114155/LED-00863.html, I think a par30 will fit in that fixture), put it a few feet behind the camera, and then a sheer curtain (something like $5 for a pair at ikea) in between immediately behind the camera. This'll get you most of the way there, then just add another of those fixtures with a less bright bulb and a narrower beam (maybe this one https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/117795/LED-01639.html) behind and to the left. Throw a folded piece of printer paper as a reflector on the immediate right side and you're as close to there as I think you'll get.

Just take it into photoshop, deepen the blacks on the background a little bit, clean up dust and you're done.

A final thought, instead of those nice LED bulbs if you can still get incandescent bulbs they'll work perfectly, by definition an incandescent or halogen bulb has a CRI of 100. Never use fluorescent, they're universally garbage and should be relegated to the trashheap of history.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

parabolic posted:

Thanks for the run down. I might have to bow to practicality and go digital.

I get both but the digital is definitely more useful. Plus, the points get linked right in the datasheet so no thumbing to the back of the book.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I get both but the digital is definitely more useful. Plus, the points get linked right in the datasheet so no thumbing to the back of the book.

You're referring to the fancy ibook version I assume. We Android plebeians are stuck with plain epubs that don't do any of that stuff.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Booley posted:

Sweet sparkly vampire space Jesus! Those are some good looking Blood Angels! :five:

Give us a rundown of your process for getting those crisp reds and blacks. TIA

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Speaking of horrible lit photos, I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow but wanted to get at least one of my rough riders painted/based.

Tbh it's a bit rushed but I can come back later and neaten up.

This is the sergeant, I have 10 other duders, two with meltas instead of the typical spear/chainsword/laspistol.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Too many words, not enough pictures. Blood angel poo poo I've finished recently.
The red is fantastic, but I'm going to be honest here: I think the lack of highlights on details like the gold is holding the models back. Gold really benefits from a two step highlight with a lighter gold and bright, bright silver on the sharpest edges. Give it a shot. :)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

OhDearGodNo posted:

Speaking of horrible lit photos, I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow but wanted to get at least one of my rough riders painted/based.

This is the sergeant, I have 10 other duders, two with meltas instead of the typical spear/chainsword/laspistol.

Your poo poo is rad as hell man

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

You're referring to the fancy ibook version I assume. We Android plebeians are stuck with plain epubs that don't do any of that stuff.

They've updated epubs in the past. You have to redownload them. I don't know if they do it all the time, though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I can vouch for KR stuff being great. I've flown across the Atlantic with my KR backpack holding a pair of cases in the overhead and I've never had anything break. I was a little skeptical buying cardboard and foam for the price it is, but the product is great. I've got probably 20 cases full of stuff right now.

Safety Factor posted:

The red is fantastic, but I'm going to be honest here: I think the lack of highlights on details like the gold is holding the models back. Gold really benefits from a two step highlight with a lighter gold and bright, bright silver on the sharpest edges. Give it a shot. :)

Agreed, it's a goddamn lovely red though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Also, it isn't just a normal cardboard box. Its thick as hell double walled stuff that is more like thin MDF.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Critique is the entire reason I post poo poo. It's already gotten an auric highlight (I think), but I'll go in and tap edges with a little bit of mithril when I get home

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I use feldherr as well. I've got two of their boxes and put them in a gym bag. Never flown with it before, the boxes aren't that sturdy so I dunno how that'd go. In one of the pluck foam trays I've got 4 tanks and a dreadnought, in the other one I just have my stomraven sitting in some packing material at the bottom since the foam tray for that was plucked for warjacks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Critique is the entire reason I post poo poo. It's already gotten an auric highlight (I think), but I'll go in and tap edges with a little bit of mithril when I get home
I start with Gehenna's Gold then hit it with a sepia wash. This is followed by a fairly sloppy auric highlight, mostly aiming to keep it out of the recess, and a really fine highlight of mithril silver.

I use a fair amount of brass on minor details like armor studs and this gold stands out a fair bit from that. I really like the redder base of Gehenna's.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

OhDearGodNo posted:

Can't wait for my Deathwatch to purge these mutants at Nova.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Pendent posted:

Yes, I am specifically referring to the iBook enhanced editions in an iPad. Everything is hyperlinked, it's super easy to go from one end to the other and the screen is big enough to handle a full page without any zoom.

If the alternative to physical was just plain ebook I'd say gently caress it and stick with the real thing. I still buy the real books because they're so cool but you can't beat the convenience of the enhanced versions.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Fought against some Black Templars.

Man it's tough to dig hellblasters out of cover. They did a pretty solid job of shooting up my vehicles and being annoying even when I had killed most of them by the end.

His list was 10 crusaders with a few meltaguns, a bunch of intercessors and hellblasters, gravis captain, emperor's champion, 2 contemptors, and 10 terminators.

Teeth of Terra is my new favorite relic. 2 damage on it is absolutely brutal with it getting d3 additional attacks. My captain wiped a squad of 5 intercessors in one fight phase using that thing, and him and my chaplain killed a combat squad of terminators in one phase. Emperor's Champion got my chaplain but my captain gave a good account of himself. We had to call it for time with them two still fighting it out, he won 8-6. Once again the Iron Resolve warlord trait was aces. An extra wound and getting to roll my 6+ FNP twice because of iron hands makes him drat tough.

Contemptors are so mean, being on the other side of them was rough. My contemptor gave a good account of himself though, wrecking one of his but then being felled by massed hellblaster and intercessor fire.

Highlight of the game: My predator killing a contemptor with lascannons. It exploded, which killed a different predator. That predator exploded, which killed 2 of my marines. It was loving magical.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 15, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

dexefiend posted:

Holy poo poo those blood angels look amazing.

The red is so rich. Love it.

My dude you keep using e.g. when you mean i.e.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My God. Those Blood Angels.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Booley posted:

Amazing Blood Angels

:potg:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
how the hell are you supposed to get any shape of transfer onto space marine pauldrons without it winding up looking like wrinkled poo poo?
I thought i'd nailed it this time with slicing into them from a few angles and expecting minimal cleanup, but after they've dried there are distinct lumps and creases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Texmo posted:

how the hell are you supposed to get any shape of transfer onto space marine pauldrons without it winding up looking like wrinkled poo poo?
I thought i'd nailed it this time with slicing into them from a few angles and expecting minimal cleanup, but after they've dried there are distinct lumps and creases.

this is basically why I hand paint all my shoulder icons