Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Am I (31f) wrong or just not getting it with my fiance (31m)?

u/winnerloser2017

quote:

So my fiance and I are having a decent day together before the work week starts again tomorrow and we're watching the show the mist.

Once the first episode is over he looks at me and says to watch the next episode I have to take his cup which I can't see the contents of and pour it on myself, otherwise if I don't he's going to delete the rest of the series (it's saved to our PC.) He makes me promise 3 times I'll do this. Thinking he's playing around I say sure give me the cup and it's still half full of water. I really don't want to get soaked and joking I run into the bathroom and pour it over my arm.

Apparently he wasn't joking and proceeded to delete the show off the PC and then gets angry when I start to get irritated. Apparently going back on my word means he can't believe a thing I say and that I can never admit to being wrong just like his dad did to him as a kid. A bet is a bet in his eyes and by not following through on this bet I'm a an untrustworthy person.

We've been together 6 years and generally in the past when he's done something similar he's joking and doesn't do what he says he's going to do but I never think of that and freak out and he says I act stuck up so for once I thought I'd joke back thinking he's just playing around.

TLDR; Fiance thinks I won't keep my word for other more serious matters because I failed to follow through on a silly bet.

Ok well that's a weird reaction but surely they could talk it out and

quote:

So your bf likes playing mind games and demands that you follow every command he gives you on the basis of "that's what my dad did to me".

quote:

Yep, hes passing on the abuse his father did to him onto you. Instead of breaking the abuse cycle, he fully intends to continue it with you as his victim.

quote:

That doesnt excuse the fact hes abusive and choosing to abuse you.

quote:

He's abusive, callous and wayyyyy manipulative.

Yeah. He's not willing to change. He gets that it hurts you, but he enjoys having control over you too much to change his ways.

Get out. If you are in the US, call 1-800-799-7233. Can you contact friends or family to get them to take you in ? Be sure you have all important documents (driver's license, passport, birth certificate, SS card, etc.) This man is abusive, and you need a solid plan to escape safely. Good luck to you.

quote:

Controlling and abusive, this guy sounds kind of insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

am i missing something those comments sound pretty on the money

is it like one of those rocky horror party things except at the end of the third episode you're supposed to develop a brain tumor

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Bleep bloop.

My [25M] Girlfriend [23F] of 6 months continues to carry pepper spray around me.

quote:

When I met my girlfriend months ago, I thought the pepper spray was just good thinking. She didn't know me at the time so she had no reason to trust me.

I have noticed that throughout our relationship, she has continued to carry the pepper spray with her, even if it's just us. I have asked her close friends if she has done this to them, and they stated she has.

I once asked her in passing out of curiosity why she continues to carry it. She replied "You never know when you'd need it". I thought she meant like a random mugger or robber.

Today, I came to the conclusion that she probably meant me. It saddens me to think she doesn't trust me this far into the relationship or she believes I might harm her. I'm not a scary look guy nor a I the strongest. I don't know why she would think that.

How do I approach this subject with my girlfriend? Is this lack of trust a deal breaker?

TL;DR: Girlfriend carries pepper spray with her everywhere regardless of relationship length. I feel that she doesn't trust me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

am i missing something those comments sound pretty on the money

is it like one of those rocky horror party things except at the end of the third episode you're supposed to develop a brain tumor

I dunno man I wouldn't call that abusive although it is not a good look. He deleted the show

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
racist against bears

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Bleep bloop.

My [25M] Girlfriend [23F] of 6 months continues to carry pepper spray around me.

Better to need it and have it than not need it and not have it

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Haifisch posted:

Bleep bloop.

My girlfriend still has antivirus installed 6 months into our relationship. I am hurt that she believes I will install a keylogger on the computer and send her money to Nigeria.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Blue Train posted:

I dunno man I wouldn't call that abusive although it is not a good look. He deleted the show

"Do what I say without question or you'll be punished."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol omg

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When we talk about frogs in boiling water, that's the guy cranking up the flame. Out of the blue, he ordered her to do something demeaning, uncomfortable, and work-making for zero reason except sadism, and punished her when she didn't do it exactly how he wanted, and now the entire thing is her fault and she's untrustworthy and she should feel guilty and make it up to him.

That dude is loving nuts.

When you see a case of full-blown abuse, there are a ton of "she should have punched him in the teeth!!! what a dumbass, she should have left years ago!!!" comments, but then when there's a really really clear precursor like this it's "he's not a bad guy, he's just joking around, you're going to leave him for that??? omg so sensitive dumb princess"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Haifisch posted:

Bleep bloop.

I have good news, and I have bad news lol.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

When we talk about frogs in boiling water, that's the guy cranking up the flame. Out of the blue, he ordered her to do something demeaning, uncomfortable, and work-making for zero reason except sadism, and punished her when she didn't do it exactly how he wanted, and now the entire thing is her fault and she's untrustworthy and she should feel guilty and make it up to him.

When you see a case of full-blown abuse, there are a ton of "she should have punched him in the teeth!!! what a dumbass, she should have left years ago!!!" comments, but then when there's a really really clear precursor like this it's "he's not a bad guy, he's just joking around, you're going to leave him for that??? omg so sensitive dumb princess"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dump weird water dude. Even if you don't think it's abusive, it's fuckin' weird.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It never ends up being a one-time thing, it ends up being the thing you say in group therapy ten years later like it's a half-remembered episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark, and you feel super uncomfortable about sharing, and then suddenly every other woman there has exactly the same story and you're like woah

dang

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blue Train posted:

he ain't whipping her with a belt buckle but this is either had-a-stroke level insane and he's about to burn the house down or it's him trying to 'subtly' break her will through some kind of door pattern assed operant conditioning scheme

e: or yeah this

Anne Whateley posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

Dump weird water dude. Even if you don't think it's abusive, it's fuckin' weird.

See I can get behind this like I said it's not a good look, I was mainly trying to point out overuse of abusive but here we are

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Like ask yourself, do you really want to spend your life with a person sees that as a logical cause and effect? Of course not! Because ten years down the line he gets to "manhandle the yellow fish or the President dies" and it's clearly insane but you've tacitly accepted all the logical leaps up until now so legally you have no choice but to accept that his conclusion is sound and you have to make the choice about whether your going to molest a fish or become a terrorist and either way your bubbie is going to be disappointed in you

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tbf she points out over six years he's pulled similar poo poo jokingly so I would imagine over that span she'd have noticed other indicators were it actually an abusive relationship, this is a single incident and the "punishment" was deleting a show

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

They are right.

Do you think abuse is only physical contact?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think the line is nowhere near deleted tv show

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I am not surprised.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
You haven't lived until your SO has performed some sort of dumbass self-invented personality test on you to determine whether or not you're just like daddy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blue Train posted:

Tbf she points out over six years he's pulled similar poo poo jokingly so I would imagine over that span she'd have noticed other indicators were it actually an abusive relationship, this is a single incident and the "punishment" was deleting a show

So he's done similar stuff before but escalated it to a new level? One that she would probably think was super crazy if she hadn't become accustomed to similar, but less extreme behavior?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

So he's done similar stuff before but escalated it to a new level? One that she would probably think was super crazy if she hadn't become accustomed to similar, but less extreme behavior?

She also states that she reacted differently which presumably led him to react differently, once again I am not defending him but saying abusive is overreaching

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I am not surprised.

sick own bro

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The reason it's only a dumb TV show is so he can go "lmao dummy it's only a TV show" and make her feel like she's some crazy overreacting bitch, she's the unreasonable one. That's the point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What do you think abuse is? Like it seems you think that there has to be physical violence or something dumb like that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Then I guess she better call the battered women's hotline and leave him tonight, which is a completely justified and reasonable reaction to him deleting the tv show they downloaded. If she doesn't she could be dead by morning

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

What do you think abuse is? Like it seems you think that there has to be physical violence or something dumb like that.

Hell man what do you think it is, I presume you think this qualifies so you tell me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Then I guess she better call the battered women's hotline and leave him tonight, which is a completely justified and reasonable reaction to him deleting the tv show they downloaded. If she doesn't she could be dead by morning

The fact you are saying this sarcastically proves how dumb you are

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol ok

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Blue Train posted:

She also states that she reacted differently which presumably led him to react differently, once again I am not defending him but saying abusive is overreaching
I suppose a more exact way to put it is that it's an alarming behavior indicative of an obsession with control that later on will most likely manifest in outright abuse either mental, emotional, or physical. Or we could just say it's emotional abuse and spare ourselves that mouthful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Hell man what do you think it is, I presume you think this qualifies so you tell me

Forcing people to do something and punishing them like a child if they don't.

What the consequences are doesn't matter.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's not a reasonable reaction to deleting a TV show without all the other context.

Breaking up is a reasonable reaction to all this poo poo: "He ordered her to do something demeaning, uncomfortable, and work-making for zero reason except sadism, and punished her when she didn't do it exactly how he wanted, and now the entire thing is her fault and she's untrustworthy and she should feel guilty and make it up to him." regardless of the punishment. All that is the abusive wow-this-is-going-to-escalate part. It wouldn't matter if the punishment was "now you don't get a star sticker for the day."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Jesus loving Christ you are the most retarded man alive

do you understand what it takes to stand out for that, in this thread

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And again, it doesn't have to be a crime or whatever. She's just got to think she'll be better off with someone else. That's all she's gotta think and she can leave whenever she likes. This is a good reason to think you can do better, you can find someone who isn't insane and punitive and controlling.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Blue Train has to be loving trolling because holy poo poo how can anyone be that stupid and not have a mod star

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yall mad as gently caress lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

And again, it doesn't have to be a crime or whatever. She's just got to think she'll be better off with someone else. That's all she's gotta think and she can leave whenever she likes. This is a good reason to think you can do better, you can find someone who isn't insane and punitive and controlling.

I didn't say she can't leave and said what he did was not a good look just said it wasn't abusive hth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Yall mad as gently caress lol

.....yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I may be dumb as gently caress but at least I am not mad online, the worst thing one could be.