Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
no !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The whole terrible thing started when the old woman swallowed a fly.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Shadow Hog posted:

In fact, the entire franchise is currently the top-grossing animated film franchise of all time, narrowly edging out previous record-holder Shrek by ~$40 million.

As far as top ten goes, Disney/Pixar max out at 5th place with Toy Story - though that can be attributed to them generally being more inclined to produce or adapt new stories over big-budget sequels to old ones (at least, until Ralph Breaks the Internet lands next year - and they did try earlier with The Rescuers Down Under, but Home Alone ate its lunch at the box office).

Well, Toy Story 4 is due out in 2019, so it may climb the ladder.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
(Extremely dreamworks voice)

THIS summer:

THIS fuzzy duo has some BIG plans

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's all about loud annoying yellow things.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I didn't forget but I wasn't going to be the one to start another four page furry derail :unsmith:

I looked at the Leper's Colony and decided to derail about GOKU you goddamn monster

GINYU FORCE RULES

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cartoon Network is lame and made a We Bare Bears artist delete a tweet with a little line animation of Ice Bear punching a nazi (which was consigned by the creator of the show to boot!)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

Cartoon Network is lame and made a We Bare Bears artist delete a tweet with a little line animation of Ice Bear punching a nazi (which was consigned by the creator of the show to boot!)

CN's relationship with politics is, uh, Bizarre and I'm incredibly unsure how to feel about them

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

It doesn't say they had him remove it in that article.. I can't find a reason why anywhere online, weirdly enough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I dunno if it's been mentioned, but it looks like Leap is finally getting its goddamn US release this month. Swear I've been seeing the same trailer for it for two dang years.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I haven't gotten out to films too much; truthfully, I hadn't even heard of the film until I went out to see Your Name early this year.

It didn't look terribly promising, tbh. Much like most of the animated fare available at the moment (Emoji Movie, Nut Job 2, Despicable Me 3... I actually do kinda wanna watch Cars 3, though if I never see it in theaters, I'll survive).

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wait. Leap! is Ballerina?

drat foreign film marketing localizing makes me cynical

IMDB doesn't make the director/writing sound promising either. Guys first animated project
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0838599/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr1

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Man, that came out in Canada months ago. As far as I know, it did not do so well (Maybe Nut Job 2 numbers, but probably in a smaller theatre count).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like I said, I've seen the same trailer before like two or three different movies in the last couple years.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Yeah, the Weinsteins have been broke every time it's been near release so they've been delaying it since early 2016 IIRC.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wait. Leap! is Ballerina?

drat foreign film marketing localizing makes me cynical

IMDB doesn't make the director/writing sound promising either. Guys first animated project
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0838599/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr1

We are very scared of girly names because if the Disney princess line is anything to go by, CLEARLY GIRLY FILMS ARE BOX OFFICE POIIIISON.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, verb names are hot right now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, verb names are hot right now.

Honestly curious, is there a reason for this that isn't some dumb, market researched, test audienced, number crunching BS?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Das Boo posted:

Honestly curious, is there a reason for this that isn't some dumb, market researched, test audienced, number crunching BS?

Its possible that the movie has a subplot about a kid trying to make a flying machine, but it turned out better than the main plot, and they decided to change the name/make a trailer that emphasizes that more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Reading the synopsis the boy really, really isn't relevant at all. (Like, he's about as important as the boy in Kiki's Delivery Service.)

That said, lol america

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 16, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's the same reason why John Carter avoided mentioning it's on mars, or that a princess is a very important character: Stupid marketers getting spooked by flops (Mars Needs Moms flopped so they dropped the mars part) and are under the delusion that girls and women don't spend money as much as guys do or that guys will flee at the slightest signs of femininity.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ThermoPhysical posted:

It doesn't say they had him remove it in that article.. I can't find a reason why anywhere online, weirdly enough.

I assume because Cartoon Network is a bunch of wusses and thinks that violence against nazis is bad, even if it's against nazis.

CRINDY posted:

Yeah, the Weinsteins have been broke every time it's been near release so they've been delaying it since early 2016 IIRC.

they were just waiting for Carly Rae Jepsen to write a song that would sell the movie all on it's own.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DC Murderverse posted:

I assume because Cartoon Network is a bunch of wusses and thinks that violence against nazis is bad, even if it's against nazis.

Nah, they're a media company and being on any side of this issue is not good publicity.

Now, if that's better or worse, I won't speculate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

It's the same reason why John Carter avoided mentioning it's on mars, or that a princess is a very important character: Stupid marketers getting spooked by flops (Mars Needs Moms flopped so they dropped the mars part) and are under the delusion that girls and women don't spend money as much as guys do or that guys will flee at the slightest signs of femininity.

A little ironic given that iirc, most movies that are hits with women and girls (Titanic, Frozen, Wonder Woman) make shitloads of money from huge tails and repeat viewings.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
They tried to explain Tangled's name as having to do with the fact that it was as much Flynn's story as it was Rapunzel's, but I don't buy it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't remember a critically-and-commercially-good film set on Mars that wasn't Total Recall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

How'd the Cowboy Bebop movie do? (Cheating a little even so given its version of Mars is basically the new Earth, given the original Earth is uninhabitable thanks to environmental catastrophe)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

Surprising nobody, Nut Job 2's opening is abysmal. Cartoon Brew makes it out to be a record worst all-time opening, though I dunno how true that actually is (there has to be some small film nobody's ever heard of that opened worse, surely).

anticake posted:

It's worst opening on more than 4000, or some such, screens specifically. There was the last movie Jessica Simpson did that opened on literally one screen in Dallas, or some such Texas city, to meet a contract obligation. I'm sure that grossed all of no dollars.

Andorra posted:

What about Delgo? That's gotta still have some kind of record, right?

Delgo had an opening weekend of only $512,000 (and didn't get a second weekend, LOL) but only opened on 2160 screens.

Box Office Mojo's list of animated movies only shows that only 29 animated movies have ever opened on 4000 screens or more and 92 movies of any type that opened on 4000 screens or more and The Nut Job 2s opening of $8 million is the lowest of those by a huge margin, the next lowest being Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 which had a $34m opening weekend The Emoji Movie which had a $24m opening weekend.

For comparison, Mars Needs Moms opened on 3117 screens and made $6.9m on opening weekend, The Ant Bully opened on 3,050 screens and made $8.4m, the George Lucas film Strange Magic had 3,020 screens and made $5.5m ...

Edit: just to underline how goddamn ridiculous it was to assign that many screens to Nut Job 2, it opened on more screens than Godzilla 2014, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Moana or Zootopia.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 16, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If a screening sells no tickets, does a cinema still do the screening? :thunk:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The_Doctor posted:

This was my exact question when I was the only person watching a showing of Insidious, particularly after the midway point when everything bafflingly turned to absolute poo poo.
"If it weren't for me, would they have to be showing this? Does my sole ticket cost even cover this screening? Oh wow, I feel guilty."

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't remember a critically-and-commercially-good film set on Mars that wasn't Total Recall.

The Martian
!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Probably, they've got a schedule to stick to and all. If it's totally empty and not a megaplex theatre they might turn it off early to get some cleaning/maintenance done, perhaps.

(Probably missing a rhetorical question, but)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

I did some quick googling and there were several different answers, but most cinemas these days use digital projectors which run automatically so it looks like a lot of them just let the movie run even if the theatre is empty. One issue is that customers can still buy tickets 10 or 15 minutes after the movie has started and if the projectionist starts the movie for them at that point it might throw off the schedule for the rest of the day. One theater manager said that if there's no one in the theatre they might turn the bulb off to save it but let the digital projector keep everything else running in case a late minute customer buys a ticket, in which case they can just turn the bulb back on.
Of course smaller cinemas which have humans running the equipment will have their own their own practices when it comes to stuff like this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They still show the movie in case anyone wants to walk into it like an hour late for whatever reason.

At least Showcase does, that's where I worked.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Maria Menounos talking to a completely empty theater after a commercial for a TNT show before someone comes in to switch off the bulb so The Nut Job 2 can run in datrkness is a fantastically lonely image.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did Nut Job 1 actually do well enough to not only warrant a sequel, but one coming out in summer?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

Did Nut Job 1 actually do well enough to not only warrant a sequel, but one coming out in summer?

Yeah, it did waaaay better than anyone expected for a January dump movie, and this year had a dearth of summer blockbusters, so they probably saw a chance since they really wouldn't be competing with a Disney/Pixar or DW blockbuster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it was the biggest box office hit to date by a huge margin for the production companies and distributor behind it so I guess they decided to go all in on a sequel.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

dirksteadfast posted:

They tried to explain Tangled's name as having to do with the fact that it was as much Flynn's story as it was Rapunzel's, but I don't buy it.

Also Rapunzel is a public domain story but by calling it Tangled they can copyright it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

Belated, but given the events of the past few years, I would totally believe some people would do that.

Though at the same time, I don't believe a sizable enough contingent would - after all, Mad Max: Fury Road still did gangbusters despite its mostly-female group of protagonists (Max and Nux being the exceptions), and the aforementioned group raising a huge stink over this fact.