Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

omfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

MY MAN

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
like, you can't even say it's disrespectful due to the cup's history. This is pro-level trolling.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Okay I'm fine with the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup again now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:vince:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jehde posted:

thats a tad extreme

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I realize that predicting Malkin will win the Art Ross and that Ovechkin will rebound to 55 goals are both in the realm of possibility, but they are both predictions I wouldn't want to make.

Also, Kucherov is somehow gonna pump up his numbers in this new NHL where everyone is scoring again, but McDavid takes a slight step back?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

:page81snypa:

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Twin Cinema posted:

Also, Kucherov is somehow gonna pump up his numbers in this new NHL where everyone is scoring again, but McDavid takes a slight step back?

Well, kucherov is the truth and the light. So...yeah.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jehde posted:

Same

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Phil owns.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

yes

Jehde posted:

no

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
seriously y'all we are through the looking glass on all this phil poo poo with all the penguins apologia flying around

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

seriously y'all we are through the looking glass on all this phil poo poo with all the penguins apologia flying around

Sounds like someone needs a hotdog!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I am happy.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Gio posted:

thats a tad extreme

I said I'm fine, not happy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Just needs a little sign saying "gently caress you too, Simmons!" and it would be a perfect picture.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Suddenly, I remember that the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup is rubbing it in that Steve Simmons is the most wrong man in the world, and I kind of like that.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

It's so......beautiful.........

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

grack posted:

Just needs a little sign saying "gently caress you too, Simmons!" and it would be a perfect picture.

Speaking of...

Translation:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I think that may have surpassed Messier-Coleman as my favorite hockey pic ever hahahahah

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I don't care who you are if that's not your new favorite hockey photo you have no soul

edit: also pasta please sign in boston don't make me cut someone

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Did Simmons ever have a response to making up the hot dog story whole cloth and making GBS threads on Phil's playing ability or did he just act like he never said any of it

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did Simmons ever have a response to making up the hot dog story whole cloth and making GBS threads on Phil's playing ability or did he just act like he never said any of it

No and yes

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot are free to sign with any team today. They'll probably both end up with the Rangers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's probably the closet thing you'll ever get to an admission of fault from Simmons.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Kerfoot was probably the 7th or 8th best forward prospect in a Devils system that's fairly good but not great. Free asset and all that but I don't anticipate him having a significant NHL career.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot are free to sign with any team today. They'll probably both end up with the Rangers.

Colorado management is so loving bad.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Kerfoot has a few good options for teams with a big opening for a bottom six center right now. Boston is thin there, Pittsburgh needs a 3C and a team couldn't be more attractive right now, and the Rangers are a recent landing spot like his Harvard teammate Jimmy Vesey, and he's guaranteed ice time at center if he's any good. Looks like he's probably a good 3C for the sheltered role that AV gave Hayes last year, and that's probably also his ceiling.

Will Butcher is walking away from a team that literally has three defensemen signed. I guess he wants to play on a competitive, or at least competent team. Doubtful he'll sign with the Rangers as their top four are pretty much set in stone and their depth looks like a car crash, or at least I think that's why there are so many pylons there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

Kerfoot was probably the 7th or 8th best forward prospect in a Devils system that's fairly good but not great. Free asset and all that but I don't anticipate him having a significant NHL career.

I tend to agree. He's 23 already, 17 players from his draft year have already managed 200+ NHL games. If he doesn't play lights out straight away, you can effectively write off his changes of being a meaningful NHLer. You're essentially getting a roster player, not a prospect.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zodijackylite posted:

Kerfoot has a few good options for teams with a big opening for a bottom six center right now. Boston is thin there, Pittsburgh needs a 3C and a team couldn't be more attractive right now, and the Rangers are a recent landing spot like his Harvard teammate Jimmy Vesey, and he's guaranteed ice time at center if he's any good. Looks like he's probably a good 3C for the sheltered role that AV gave Hayes last year, and that's probably also his ceiling.

Will Butcher is walking away from a team that literally has three defensemen signed. I guess he wants to play on a competitive, or at least competent team. Doubtful he'll sign with the Rangers as their top four are pretty much set in stone and their depth looks like a car crash, or at least I think that's why there are so many pylons there.

IIRC, Butcher's thing is less competitiveness and more that Avs management really pissed him off for some reason

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

IIRC, Butcher's thing is less competitiveness and more that Avs management really pissed him off for some reason

Last offseason they apparently told him they weren't going to sign him. Not that they specifically weren't going to sign him last offseason, but ever. They are real dumb.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

I tend to agree. He's 23 already, 17 players from his draft year have already managed 200+ NHL games. If he doesn't play lights out straight away, you can effectively write off his changes of being a meaningful NHLer. You're essentially getting a roster player, not a prospect.

IMO I think you still have to allow for guys to be rookies even if they're coming into the NHL after completing a college career. It's still a big jump and unless they're a star player most guys aren't going to just be a fully developed NHLer right out of the gate. You want to see good things and that they are able to handle it but I think you really have to expect some ups and downs and for them to improve in their 2nd year to the point where you'd want them to be. If they aren't improving in that second year then you get wary.

I'm basically thinking of Vesey here because while he did some good stuff he also really showed that he needed to catch up to the game a bit at times and that the NHL grind was a bit much for him. If he doesn't improve on that stuff this season I'm gonna sour on him a lot
'

Zodijackylite posted:

Doubtful he'll sign with the Rangers as their top four are pretty much set in stone and their depth looks like a car crash, or at least I think that's why there are so many pylons there.

Eh? Not sure what that means...Staal is the only pylon and yeah unfortunately he'll play, but Holden isn't really a pylon even if he sucks from time to time. Then you have a bunch of young but unproven guys (DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Pionk) who aren't pylons and then Steve Kampfer as the 7th defenseman who never plays.

I think everyone is still expecting Holden to be traded but at this point who knows.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Last offseason they apparently told him they weren't going to sign him. Not that they specifically weren't going to sign him last offseason, but ever. They are real dumb.

Is Sakic's plan to just not have defensemen?

Levitate posted:

Eh? Not sure what that means...Staal is the only pylon and yeah unfortunately he'll play, but Holden isn't really a pylon even if he sucks from time to time. Then you have a bunch of young but unproven guys (DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Pionk) who aren't pylons and then Steve Kampfer as the 7th defenseman who never plays.

I think everyone is still expecting Holden to be traded but at this point who knows.

It was a bad joke.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

IMO I think you still have to allow for guys to be rookies even if they're coming into the NHL after completing a college career. It's still a big jump and unless they're a star player most guys aren't going to just be a fully developed NHLer right out of the gate. You want to see good things and that they are able to handle it but I think you really have to expect some ups and downs and for them to improve in their 2nd year to the point where you'd want them to be. If they aren't improving in that second year then you get wary.
'

I dunno, for the most part with College UFAs that enter the league in their mid-20s if they're not producing out of the gate they rarely go onto successful careers. Matt Gilroy was a similar age and pedigree to someone like Kerfoot, and he never recovered after a poor rookie season. Kevin Hayes on the other hand excelled straight away and his rookie season was arguably his best so far. Sure there's a learning curve, but players that age are already at or near their athletic peak. They're unlikely to improve markedly from an aging curve perspective, so what you see is what you get. So I'd say it's probably a safe bet that Jimmy Vesey is a 30ish point bottom six guy long term. If Kerfoot is only putting up 20 points next year, it's likely he'll never amount to a great deal more than that.

Justin Schultz is just about the only college UFA who waited out his draft eligibility and signed with a team that improved later in his career that I can think of. Then again, he won the AHL defenceman of the year in 2012/13 despite only playing half a season, so I think you can say that was a lot more to do with the Oilers having no idea how to deploy him properly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

I dunno, for the most part with College UFAs that enter the league in their mid-20s if they're not producing out of the gate they rarely go onto successful careers. Matt Gilroy was a similar age and pedigree to someone like Kerfoot, and he never recovered after a poor rookie season. Kevin Hayes on the other hand excelled straight away and his rookie season was arguably his best so far. Sure there's a learning curve, but players that age are already at or near their athletic peak. They're unlikely to improve markedly from an aging curve perspective, so what you see is what you get. So I'd say it's probably a safe bet that Jimmy Vesey is a 30ish point bottom six guy long term. If Kerfoot is only putting up 20 points next year, it's likely he'll never amount to a great deal more than that.

Justin Schultz is just about the only college UFA who waited out his draft eligibility and signed with a team that improved later in his career that I can think of. Then again, he won the AHL defenceman of the year in 2012/13 despite only playing half a season, so I think you can say that was a lot more to do with the Oilers having no idea how to deploy him properly.

Fair, I think that Vesey could be more of a 20-20 guy as I think he did really hit the wall as the season wore on, but yeah I'm not expecting him to make a huge jump to being a 1st liner or something either.

One of the things with Gilroy is that you could see some of the issues he was going to have at the NHL level and sure enough, he couldn't get past them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Blake Wheeler impoved a lot several years into his career. Never would've guessed he'd put up 78 points after his first three years.

Vesey isn't going to put up big point totals, but his impact is mostly goal-scoring. He doesn't necessarily drive play himself, but keeps his stick on the ice in the home plate area. He's more likely to hit 20 goals than 20 assists.

• Locked thread