Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Eltoasto posted:

That's true, who knows what Mueller will dig up while going down that road. Assuming Mueller isn't fired and allowed to continue all avenues. But do you think the Senate votes to impeach if Mueller comes out tomorrow and says that Putin cronies loaned trump 500 mil?

Tomorrow? Maybe

In 2 months, assuming things calm down? probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eltoasto posted:

That's true, who knows what Mueller will dig up while going down that road. Assuming Mueller isn't fired and allowed to continue all avenues. But do you think the Senate votes to impeach if Mueller comes out tomorrow and says that Putin cronies loaned trump 500 mil?

depends on trump's approval ratings at the time probably

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like even Trump knows that it's an EXTREMELY implicating/bad look if he fires another FBI director

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rigel posted:

Obviously Home Depot didn't do it, this was probably an employee or manager, but still

https://twitter.com/LaurenSivan/status/897268879826722816

Actually, it's far more likely that somebody did that without the knowledge of any Home Depot employees, just so they could take a pic for twitter likes.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Good wasn't sure if he should be put on Mensch level of un-corroborated word salads but now I know to take it all with a big grain of salt.

Zeriel posted:

He's going to fake an illness when the special council gets ready to file charges and use it as an excuse to resign.

Well I'll take it since he'll be out of office. Though Pence isn't that much better.

e:

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 15, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

But wait! Under Armour launched a camouflage hunting line a few years ago! The plot thickens...

Camoflauge underwear
says so much.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

depends on trump's approval ratings at the time probably

Yeah. Nixon's approval rating was at 23% when he went down and it was still never a slam dunk to get rid of him.

Expect to see people grumbling openly about impeachment if and when he reaches under 30% approval rating. Also the internal republican approval rating will matter as well. Last I heard it was in the high sixties, which is abysmal.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

BMB5150 posted:

Good wasn't sure if he should be put on Mensch level of un-corroborated word salads but now I know to take it all with a big grain of salt.

Well I'll take it since he'll be out of office. Though Pence isn't that much better.

Pence will be lame duck as poo poo if that happens and every GOP in washington knows it. The mechanisms that get rid of trump would hobble the gently caress out of anything pence wants to do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Great Man History is awful.

Lincoln may have called slavery a great moral wrong, but once he was in power he did literally everything he was capable of to preserve it. Ge tried to pass laws that would make outlawing it impossible, he tried to pay the south to end its own economic system willingly, he tried to end the Civil War again by promising to leave slavery alone, and early on in the war he gave an executive order to the union army that any escaped slaves they encountered be returned to their owners or to regional governance, as convenient. This wasn't because he was an evil man (exactly) but because he held the norms of the time as more important than stopping the great moral wrong. Abraham Lincoln did a great job clutching his pearls but only truly ended slavery when it became clear that if the south rejoined the union with slavery intact the north would probably be the next to secede.

But while the president was giving the army orders not to free slaves, the actual soldiers were ignoring those orders and sharing their supplies with the black men and women they encountered seeking freedom. While Lincoln was trying to fix things by giving money to slave trading fucks, Harriet Beecher Stowe was convincing the general population that slavery was a fundamental evil that needed to be stopped. While southerners were crowdsourcing invasions of latin american countries to create more slave states, abolitionists and Quakers were smuggling escaped slaves to freedom and a better life.

Slavery wasn't ended by a luminous figure 19 feet tall, carved from marble. It was ended by ordinary Americans who, in ones and twos, in groups and in populations, in cities and in towns and in small rural houses, decided together that that wasn't what America was going to be, and that change was worth fighting for.

https://twitter.com/DerrickQLewis/status/897235297485901825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And that's exactly who's deciding we've had enough of this confederate poo poo. We don't need a president to find our salvation.

definatly. there is good book on it right now, talking about how quincy adams was more against slavery(and tried to outright stop earlier) then lincoln. https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Abol...abraham+lincoln

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Covok posted:

I wouldn't say the things today haven't given me hope, but I wouldn't call anything victory until people like Bannon, Trump, sessions are removed from office since they are pushing a white supremacist agenda and succeeding in subtle ways that a lot of people can't see. I would also not call it victory until people like alt right are pushed into a fringe minority of the Republican party that have no power. Essentially, they become impotent or vanished. The reality is democracy is fragile and so is freedom. There will never be a victory for the threat of its destruction is ever present. What got us here is the belief that everything was fine and we could be complacent. In my mind, these last few years have taught me that there is no such thing as victory or as such, but an endless war to preserve Freedom our ancestors died to create as well as an endless war to ensure that freedom is given to all Americans equally.

I'm not saying I'm without hope, I am saying that I don't believe in Victory anymore, only an endless struggle for a better tomorrow.

This. Until the political structure changes and is moving solidly to the left, there is no predicting what kind of poo poo will happen. If the right decides to ratchet up the violence, things will get super hairy.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Abraham Lincoln would have done anything to save the Union, including sacrificing his only son, Willie Lincoln, to Satan. Which he of course did, although everybody says it was an illness :rolleyes:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Oh gently caress this is good

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/897274717408829441

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Actually,

thanks

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I read a book on that dude and he was loving brilliant.

If he'd had an excel spreadsheet he could have conquered the world.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Repostin' for the mostin'.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/897273872780730368

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

God I feel so much vicarious joy from this

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah trump doesnt give a poo poo about that plus i dont even think we have a diplomat for overthere yet.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Zeriel posted:

He's going to fake an illness when the special council gets ready to file charges and use it as an excuse to resign.

I hope it's bone spurs

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's also important to point out that we don't need any monuments to Robert E. Lee because we've already turned his homestead into one of the most hallowed grounds in the entire country.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/897275876064342016

as someone who grew up in boston i did not expect to ever be this proud of new york

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

I read a book on that dude and he was loving brilliant.

If he'd had an excel spreadsheet he could have conquered the world.

Name of the book please. Definitely going to suggest this guy as a replacement name for the Jefferson Davis Highway in Alexandria.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

as someone who grew up in boston i did not expect to ever be this proud of new york

NYC is a city whose population exists in a permanent state of barely restrained fury against their fellow man, it's almost a relief to find a common target for it

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Just came from Trump Tower. There was a line of pro-Trump protestors separated from the anti-Trump ones by a walkway, which quickly became a trench to fight over. It was boiling.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The Republican Party is going to have a hell of a time overcoming this shitshow of an administration.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Invalid Validation posted:

The Republican Party is going to have a hell of a time overcoming this shitshow of an administration.

Did you just time travel from 2006 or something?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Name of the book please. Definitely going to suggest this guy as a replacement name for the Jefferson Davis Highway in Alexandria.

ill pm you

it was part of a book about civil war figures from georgia

typical southerner poo poo

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Invalid Validation posted:

well, they're getting in a metric tonne of judicial appointments and doing p well rolling back regulations

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

ill pm you

it was part of a book about civil war figures from georgia

typical southerner poo poo

Awesome, thanks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Did you just time travel from 2006 or something?

And they hosed up so badly, that democrats had 60 seats by 2008

The neocon party of the late 90s and early 2000s is dead

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Just came from Trump Tower. There was a line of pro-Trump protestors separated from the anti-Trump ones by a walkway, which quickly became a trench to fight over. It was boiling.

how many chudds were even there?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

evilweasel posted:

Not sure if I prefer this or "Can't build the wall/Hands too small."

However, our cleverness does have its limits. All we managed on 01/21 against our dear Vice President was a more-succinct "gently caress Mike Pence."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mahoning posted:

It's also important to point out that we don't need any monuments to Robert E. Lee because we've already turned his homestead into one of the most hallowed grounds in the entire country.

Hitler's grave is an unmarked patch of grass where people bring their dogs to piss. So should it be for all of history's monsters. We can see them in context, in historical documents which demonstrate all of the ways in which they were on the wrong heading for humanity's moral compass.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
All Confederate statues in the state of Georgia should be replaced with statues of William Tecumseh Sherman.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JohnCompany posted:

Not sure if I prefer this or "Can't build the wall/Hands too small."

However, our cleverness does have its limits. All we managed on 01/21 against our dear Vice President was a more-succinct "gently caress Mike Pence."

losing the popular vote gets on his nerves way more these days

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Double post

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 15, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mahoning posted:

All Confederate statues in the state of Georgia should be replaced with statues of William Tecumseh Sherman.

He's reaching for his matches

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

DynamicSloth posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1800#House_election_of_1801

Basically the entire constitution seized up and crashed the first time it was applied to a contested election, The 12th Amendment patched the problem but it's good to keep in mind when talking with morons who think the Founding Fathers were demi-gods who invented the perfect form of government.

From a few pages ago, but I like to bring up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confederation because what we have now is take two* on this whole country attempt. AoC was the dumbest loving idea and our federal government constitution is a response to that abject failure.

*probably more, don't @ me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like even Trump knows that it's an EXTREMELY implicating/bad look if he fires another FBI director
If you notice, Trump's noises about getting rid of the special prosecutor abruptly stopped right around the time Paul Manafort's office was raided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Perfect

• Locked thread