Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I was a Civil War reenactor for a few years between being 14 and 18. I was part of an actual company, with ranks (that were democratically voted for), drill, etc since we wanted to be an accurate and authentic unit to represent what confederate soldiers were like. We were all city or suburbanites, largely democrat and overall were just big history nerds. I did it because my good friend was in the unit and it was the most affordable side to portray. Go camping, shoot some rifles, play war, cook out and party? Hell yes!

What I hated the most though were the white trash pieces of poo poo spectators that would walk through our camps during "public" hours. We were basically told to do living history - cleaning our equipment, drills, cooking, playing cards/games. Drill was the one time we wouldn't be bothered by shitheel spectators because during the other times it was always chatter about how "the south will rise again" and "it's bullshit that the south lost". Hated it.

People assumed I wanted slaves or believed in white supremacy, so while I'm in camp cleaning my equipment, I'd get some rear end in a top hat trying to get me to come to rallies and meetings. After I went off to college I decided to not do reenactments for a long time, and eventually just stopped caring.

I've seen a few WW2 reenactments and I'm tempted to ask the German reenactors how many times they get approached by neo Nazi fuckwits. I'm sure they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JohnCompany posted:

Not sure if I prefer this or "Can't build the wall/Hands too small."

However, our cleverness does have its limits. All we managed on 01/21 against our dear Vice President was a more-succinct "gently caress Mike Pence."

More wit than Styrofoam man merits.

The Glumslinger posted:

Tomorrow? Maybe

In 2 months, assuming things calm down?

We just went from nuclear standoff to nazi rallies, and we haven't even TOUCHED hurricanes or the debt standoff. You think there are brakes on this thing?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Glumslinger posted:

And they hosed up so badly, that democrats had 60 seats by 2008

The neocon party of the late 90s and early 2000s is dead

Right but the GOP and their voters haven't gone anywhere.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

From a few pages ago, but I like to bring up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confederation because what we have now is take two* on this whole country attempt. AoC was the dumbest loving idea and our federal government constitution is a response to that abject failure.

*probably more, don't @ me.

The Articles of Confederation were so bad that they still affect us today.

They're the source of the Sovereign Citizens movement in the US.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think "gently caress you!" Or maybe "gently caress you, oval office!" are the most authentic New York chants to do.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I've seen a few WW2 reenactments and I'm tempted to ask the German reenactors how many times they get approached by neo Nazi fuckwits. I'm sure they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Propaganda Hour posted:

From a few pages ago, but I like to bring up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confederation because what we have now is take two* on this whole country attempt. AoC was the dumbest loving idea and our federal government constitution is a response to that abject failure.

*probably more, don't @ me.

Hell, they tried to write the constitution a year prior and only 5 states showed up. I listened to an interesting podcast last week where the historian was talking about how they tried it again the next year because Shays' rebellion made some of them scared that the states were too democratic and reactive to people's needs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The public is not as opposed to nuclear first strike as we are.

Your daily reminder the America is full of sociopaths.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yesssss

https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/897241622349582336

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Covok posted:

I'm not saying I'm without hope, I am saying that I don't believe in Victory anymore, only an endless struggle for a better tomorrow.

We battle entropy itself, in this view we struggle against forces that our enemies fail to fathom. As one person put it earlier, they will cry fruitlessly about being maced, when the death of one of ours only pisses us off.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

there is a perfectly good compromise for stone mountain: add outkast

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/16/us/georgia-stone-mountain-outkast-confederate-monument/index.html

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm fine with Mt Rushmore being torn down simply because it's in a dumb spot.

South Dakota.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm fine with Mt Rushmore being torn down simply because it's in a dumb spot.

South Dakota.

Actually I think putting it in a Native American tribe's sacred land (the Black Hills) was the bigger dick move.

Just a reminder to everyone: donate to the Crazy Horse monument since they will not accept any government funds.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RedTRaccoon/status/897252286988247040

It might be hard to unbend

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

This is the cum in my shoes guy

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I was a Civil War reenactor for a few years between being 14 and 18. I was part of an actual company, with ranks (that were democratically voted for), drill, etc since we wanted to be an accurate and authentic unit to represent what confederate soldiers were like. We were all city or suburbanites, largely democrat and overall were just big history nerds. I did it because my good friend was in the unit and it was the most affordable side to portray. Go camping, shoot some rifles, play war, cook out and party? Hell yes!

What I hated the most though were the white trash pieces of poo poo spectators that would walk through our camps during "public" hours. We were basically told to do living history - cleaning our equipment, drills, cooking, playing cards/games. Drill was the one time we wouldn't be bothered by shitheel spectators because during the other times it was always chatter about how "the south will rise again" and "it's bullshit that the south lost". Hated it.

People assumed I wanted slaves or believed in white supremacy, so while I'm in camp cleaning my equipment, I'd get some rear end in a top hat trying to get me to come to rallies and meetings. After I went off to college I decided to not do reenactments for a long time, and eventually just stopped caring.

While I was in the military, I had a roommate from Boston who was heavy into WWII reenacting. He had a full Luftwaffe Colonel Doctor's uniform, about 7 or 8 different Iron Crosses, and an almost fully accurate S.S. Hitler Youth private uniform. It was actually pretty interesting stuff when he talked about it.

The first night we went out to a bar in town, I ended up flirting with a black girl. (I'm the textbook definition of pale faced whitey.) He decided to inform me on the way home that he could never date a black girl and become indignant when I gave him a wary look about it.

Yeah, we ended up not parting on good terms.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If we left the statue like that, I think that's an acceptable compromise between the ideals of remembering our shame and removing icons of monsters.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mahoning posted:

All Confederate statues in the state of Georgia should be replaced with statues of William Tecumseh Sherman.

Or don't erect statues of another guy who contributed to destroying native people? :shrug:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

This is the cum in my shoes guy

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

business hammocks posted:

I think "gently caress you!" Or maybe "gently caress you, oval office!" are the most authentic New York chants to do.

"gently caress YOU, pal!"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mahoning posted:

Actually I think putting it in a Native American tribe's sacred land (the Black Hills) was the bigger dick move.

Just a reminder to everyone: donate to the Crazy Horse monument since they will not accept any government funds.

I see my joke has failed :sigh:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Mahoning posted:

Destroying a mountain for a sculpture is a dick move because the land is sacred. So y'all should donate to destroy an even bigger mountain? :confused:

I do not understand the reasoning here.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Vice posted video of Charlottesville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrcB1sAN8I

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

Destroying a mountain for a sculpture is a dick move because the land is sacred. So y'all should donate to destroy an even bigger mountain? :confused:

Because Crazy Horse was commissioned by a Lakota elder probably.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

alpha_destroy posted:

I think it's more so about carving the faces of people responsible for the genocide of native peoples into a sacred native mountain, not the destruction of the mountain itself.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Gonna take an unpopular opinion here but that's probably the least offensive civil war statue ever

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Now that is a bit of Southern Heritage worth honoring.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

alpha_destroy posted:

There's not much to explain. Putting monuments of your leaders on the land you stole from your enemies is an insult on par with pissing on graves. It's not really about whether or not the land is sacred.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

otoh its also not a very attractive statue, i like equestrian style myself

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So much for the fault tolerant left foot.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

*scribbling in a notebook* Yes, go on, which other ones do you not want them to deface?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Starting to seem like this council won't exist by the end of the week.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/897286565399015424

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This video has been hinted at, but I'm linking the full video because holy poo poo everyone needs to watch this now, probably a couple times.

Before the US Department of Defense, we had the war department, and they produced a video to warn future generations of American citizens about the dangers of fascist populism. 69 years later, this message is now needed, and its really not all that dated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23X14HS4gLk

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phoix posted:

If they're afraid Trump might rage tweet them they should all resign so instead of Trump going at them one-by-one like the first guy he just skips right to the part where he pretends the council never existed in the first place.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

At the very least those last two so we can give them back to the native people who they rightfully belong to. Inshallah.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Trabisnikof posted:

Because Crazy Horse was commissioned by a Lakota elder probably.

Mahoning posted:

I think it's more so about carving the faces of people responsible for the genocide of native peoples into a sacred native mountain, not the destruction of the mountain itself.

BlueberryCanary posted:

There's not much to explain. Putting monuments of your leaders on the land you stole from your enemies is an insult on par with pissing on graves. It's not really about whether or not the land is sacred.

Sure, a huge part of the problem with Mount Rushmore are the specifics as you all point out. And I am far from an expert on the issue. All I know is that I have heard my Native American colleague complain about this Crazy Horse project several times. And maybe they're the minority among Native Americans, like I said, I am no expert.

We can all agree gently caress Mount Rushmore. I'm just wary of the solution to Mount Rushmore being a larger carving even if it is someone more deserving. Are the Lakota people in general in favor of the project? Is there polling on that?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Seeing people spontaneously solving problems by pulling that statue down made me think of Fred Hampton. Before the police murdered him he would speak about racism being fought with solidarity, and to see that in action is exciting and hopeful. I hope it encourages people to see how much they can do without needing some goddamn politician to lead them around by the nose and tell them to wait wait wait while they trade horses with other goddamn politicians.

quote:

"We in the Black Panther Party, because of our dedication and understanding, went into the valley knowing that the people are in the valley, knowing that our plight is the same plight as the people in the valley, knowing that our enemies are on the mountain, so our friends are in the valley, and even though its nice to be on the mountaintop, we're going back to the valley. Because we understand that there's work to be done in the valley, and when we get through with this work in the valley, then we got to go to the mountaintop. We're going to the mountaintop because there's a motherfucker on the mountaintop that's playing King, and he's been bullshitting us. And we've got to go up on the mountain top not for the purpose of living his life style and living like he lives. We've got to go up on the mountain top to make this motherfucker understand, goddamnit, that we are coming from the valley!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Phoix posted:

I know we are a long from done, but seeing time and time again parts of his plan failing is great.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
After being called a Nazi today (yeah I know :wtc: )I truly needed some of the things in this thread... three ceos saying you are on your own douchebag is the icing on the cake. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Great Man History is awful.

Lincoln may have called slavery a great moral wrong, but once he was in power he did literally everything he was capable of to preserve it. Ge tried to pass laws that would make outlawing it impossible, he tried to pay the south to end its own economic system willingly, he tried to end the Civil War again by promising to leave slavery alone, and early on in the war he gave an executive order to the union army that any escaped slaves they encountered be returned to their owners or to regional governance, as convenient. This wasn't because he was an evil man (exactly) but because he held the norms of the time as more important than stopping the great moral wrong. Abraham Lincoln did a great job clutching his pearls but only truly ended slavery when it became clear that if the south rejoined the union with slavery intact the north would probably be the next to secede.

But while the president was giving the army orders not to free slaves, the actual soldiers were ignoring those orders and sharing their supplies with the black men and women they encountered seeking freedom. While Lincoln was trying to fix things by giving money to slave trading fucks, Harriet Beecher Stowe was convincing the general population that slavery was a fundamental evil that needed to be stopped. While southerners were crowdsourcing invasions of latin american countries to create more slave states, abolitionists and Quakers were smuggling escaped slaves to freedom and a better life.

Slavery wasn't ended by a luminous figure 19 feet tall, carved from marble. It was ended by ordinary Americans who, in ones and twos, in groups and in populations, in cities and in towns and in small rural houses, decided together that that wasn't what America was going to be, and that change was worth fighting for.

Lincoln certainly wasn't the most dedicated person against slavery of his time, nor the least racist, nor was he certainly the sole or even the primary reason slavery was eventually abolished. He had some really lovely ideas well into his presidency (see Colonization). He was certainly not a saint beyond criticism.

He was able to be elected President with a platform opposing the spread of slavery. You can make the argument that the election of 1860 would be an easy one to win given that the Democratic Party split itself in two, but Lincoln was able to win "moderate" states (NJ, Penn, Ohio, Indiana) that sealed the deal.

He was elected President at a time when slavery was enshrined in the Constitution. Congress could NOT prohibit slavery in a state. Then there was the Supreme Court. Dred Scott ruled that Blacks were not, could not be citizens. It was always Lincoln's stance that he detested slavery, but it was protected by the Constitution. His actions both before and after being elected Executive were consistent with a person who hated slavery yet acknowledged that it was protected by the Constitution. As a legislator, he voted against slavery in DC (as it wasn't a state, slavery wasn't protected in the constitution). He took a vote against the Mexican War, claiming it was a land grab by the Southern states to spread slavery. As a candidate (and in office) he would not budge from his stance of restricting the spread of slavery, which he could legally do.

As President, he felt that freeing all the slaves unequivocally would be unconstitutional and a vast overreach of executive power. Remember, while he won big in the electoral college, he only received 40% of the popular vote, and didn't get any votes at all in some Southern states. Imagine if Obama had unilaterally banned all guns after Sandy Hook, or Bush II had suspended the First Amendment after 9/11. I'm sure some people would consider those acts justified at the time, but certainly not the majority. Instead, Lincoln did what he could do legally: push for states to outlaw slavery themselves. If this meant buying them, offer to buy them. The money was worth ending the practice. Push to change public opinion when possible. You mentioned Stowe above, but Lincoln's public letters in '63 were aimed at changing public opinion towards emancipation (remember that he had already shown his cabinet his draft proclamation as he wrote to Greeley, to Conkley). Invite African-American leaders to the White House and listen to their views (he tabled pushing for colonization after such a meeting). Learn from his constituents, his experience, the trials of the country and the office. Eventually he convinced himself that issuing the Emancipation Proclamation was legal as a war power. He then worked to protect the rights of the Freemen, pushing for the 13th Amendment to remove the cancer from the Constitution, generally supporting the Radical Republican's with their expansion of African-American rights, nominating Chase for Chief Justice despite their personal issues because he knew that he would protect those rights. In the end, he was killed because he announced he would support (at least limited) Black suffrage.

I agree that any history saying "Lincoln was elected, he eradicated slavery, bing-bong so simple" is ludicrous. But there was no one who could have done that, no matter what their personal convictions. Even without pushing for emancipation the South didn't give him a chance and seceded before he took the oath of office. I'd argue that he was better than average for his time when it came to rights, but there certainly were people with more progressive views on race and equality. But to say that

quote:

Abraham Lincoln did a great job clutching his pearls but only truly ended slavery when it became clear that if the south rejoined the union with slavery intact the north would probably be the next to secede
is dismissive of the obstacles that he AND his contemporaries faced in executing the war, doing what he could to keep his coalition together, and eventually sign the 13th Amendment. In fact, upon re-reading, that quote is just wrong. Lincoln thought he was going to lose re-election and tried to push for the amendment so that the American public, tired of fighting, would accept slavery as part of reconciliation. The Emancipation Proclamation could be rescinded by a later President, or by the conclusion of the war when it wouldn't be a necessity, after all. Lincoln's Hampton Roads conference, in which he stated that emancipation would be a requirement for an armistice, was used by his opponents to say "He cares more about Niggers than the Union and would send white men to die for them". This was a compelling argument for the voting population of 1864. While the Amendment failed to pass initially, he kept pushing it so that it could be passed as soon as possible, even before the new Congress convened, and lobbied for it even though he had a larger majority in the next Congress and could get it passed easier then. That turned out to be fortuitous.

There were many heroes that fought against slavery, and Lincoln shouldn't diminish their standing or efforts. He wasn't the best man of the time on the issue. He did some terrible things, as all Presidents have done. But you can't dismiss Lincoln's accomplishments in getting elected, keeping the Union together, learning from the trials and rising to the occasion.

• Locked thread