Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, this. Don't want to ruin actual good people lives. If you're on twitter, try to signal boost that tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Oh please let the angle on this incident become "Trump knew something like this was going to happen and did nothing to stop it" please please please :pray:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I hope there are no monuments to puppies of the Confederacy or this is going to get ugly.

Sadly there are in fact racist dog memorials for WWII dogs:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Did they pull that thing down with police tape? Was it made of plastic?

Those look like 2" ratchet straps to me. You can figure a 22 kN MSL and double that for breaking strength. The strap comes with a ratchet you can use to put tension on it. Double up with two and you're about equivalent to a standard 3/8" chain.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

boner confessor posted:

dont quote me covok you unstable weirdo

I'll quote whoever I feel like, creepo.

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah make an event out of it. Turn the memorial into a weekly pinata.

This would be amazing. Every time they bring it up, it's torn down. I wonder how that's going to affect their pride.

This plus so many states deciding to get rid of the statues means there really was horribly counterproductive. Instead of preserving that statue, seems like five more were taken down.

If the left ever gets full control of the government, we should make it illegal to keep Nazi and Confederate memorabilia so that all these statues must be taken down and all those loving weirdos have to get rid of their stuff. Maybe then the memory and worship will die.

achillesforever6 posted:

Go with Grant, sure his presidency was pretty corrupt, but the guy knew how to deal with the KKK, created Yellowstone National Park, and was pretty reasonable to Natives compared to most American Presidents

Plus, he can drink any other president under the table.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Sadly there are in fact racist dog memorials for WWII dogs:

Whoof, "Nig" really makes the whole thing kind of unfortunate.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

nobody quote me or i will lose it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

boner confessor posted:

they'll just wait for the protests to die down and attention to go elsewhere then replace the statue at taxpayer expense

this sort of political vandalism is cathartic but it doesn't really change much without political change as well, which in the state of north carolina has been blocked for now by state government decree

i mean best case scenario durham parks department or whoever drags their feet on replacing the thing for years

e: lmao

Then tear down the next. Then the next.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

boner confessor posted:

north carolina law prevents local governments from removing memorials. sadly the county is legally required to replace the statute

Thinking practically, couldn't they tie up the replacement process forever, or is there a time period attached? Whoops we can't decide on the pose, let's debate it for five years.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

achillesforever6 posted:

Go with Grant, sure his presidency was pretty corrupt, but the guy knew how to deal with the KKK, created Yellowstone National Park, and was pretty reasonable to Natives compared to most American Presidents

Better: go with George "The Rock of Chickamauga" Thomas, who Sherman left in command of the Army of the Cumberland while he marched through Georgia and South Carolina. Thomas was a competent and constantly underrated commander, and the only general to completely destroy an enemy army in the field at the Battle of Nashville.

He was also a Virginian who stayed loyal to the Union and was ostracized by his family for it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This is an older post, but:

FizFashizzle posted:

Alright, I want to talk about what i call the Moral Imperative of Doxx'ing Nazis.

Right wing fascism spread in France, Spain, Germany, eastern europe and the southern united states for primarily two reasons: Anonymity/lack of consequences for your actions, and a legitimate perceived threat from soviet Russia.

I'll deal with the second first.

The soviets were loving everywhere in the 20s and 30s. They had infiltrated the banks, and they legit had spies in western europe. During the spanish civil war, they basically took over the madrid government. They were completely incompetent and stalin purged the generals for good reason, but that's beyond the point. Your average middle class parisian, or german, or hungarian could reasonably point to that threat of soviet incursion and make a lesser of two evils argument for the fascists. We were less than a decade from GLORIOUS POLAND winning their only military victory in their miserable history when they stopped Trotsky. Full disclose, I'm polish, so I can say that :poland:

If you look at the rise of nazi's in germany and the fascists in france (what I'm more familiar with) what you'll see is the middle classes overwhelmingly favoring the fascists over the anarchists and soviets.

The Klan in the United States beat that Communist menace drum as hard as anyone, and used it to malign basically every other social progress movement they didn't like. Now obviously there were other reasons in the American South that the klan had implicit support that didn't exist in western europe (race) but the soviets were there. Of course the joke is the soviets weren't in the southeast becase it was a desolate poo poo hole but that's irrelevant.

This obviously doesn't apply to the current day united states, because there is no real leftists organization. Not to get all prester jane, but I think the DSA in the immediate future will get more and more publicity from the right wing. For the right to work, there must always be an enemy which is simultaneously an existential threat and imminently beatable blah blah blah read umberto ecco.

The other thing more relevant to us today is the anonymity and relative lack of consequence these movements operated under. In germany, for example, yeah you go out in a crowd to fight the communists, and every now and then someone gets assassinated, but for the most part these guys went to work on monday and no one knew what they'd done on the weekend. Even for your most diehard brownshirt they had families and jobs and they had some sense of anonymity. And even if they did get arrested, the one thing the proto-nazis did do right was stack the courts. They'd always get a judge to give them a slap on the wrist, while the communist would be off doing hard labor.

I am a southerner as well as a GLORIOUS :poland:, FOURTH ROME and I had at least one family member that was in the klan. The klan only worked when no one knew who the members were. Oh sure there were some more outspoken and blatant about it, including a future US senator, but your rank and file were only involved when they could do it without losing their job, or social standing, or whatever. I know we like to poo poo on the south in here, but you couldn't openly be in the klan in the south. It's just like being an alcoholic baptist. Everyone knows you are, but as long as you have plausible deniability, it's fine. The second you get caught passed out somewhere, then they have issues.

The klan was destroyed in the south when the fbi just started naming them. They weren't wearing sheets because of how proud they were of what they were doing, and for the most part that kind of blatant, overt racism and murder retreated into the country clubs where white people could drink their drinks and make racist jokes. This is horrible for sure, but better than it was.

We'll obviously never know what would have happened to western europe if these people had just been named, but there's a reason it's a rude question to ask someone in buenos aires why they have a french accent.

My main point is 4chan was a big reason this whole alt right bullshit got started. They could post anonymously without consequences, talk with others like them, and that they gave them a false sense of empowerment. Oh man there's so many of us and we can just talk like really mean and surely everyone else would think this way but the PC culture is keeping us down blah blah blah. Yeah we can meet them and beat the poo poo out of them, but fascists had their asses beat up and down western europe for most of the 30s and that didn't stop their rise. As a matter of fact, it just reinforces their persecution complex.

The way you fight them is make their actions have consequences. They all know their ideas are horrific, and when confronted with them they resort to puppet master defenses. This gets quoted a lot, but it bears repeating

https://newrepublic.com/article/139004/ironic-nazis-still-nazis

They know this is horseshit. None of their ideas can stand up to an ounce of scrutiny and they know it. If things get too hot they can just back down and laugh it off until they're surrounded by enough of their rear end in a top hat friends to recharge their persecution complex. Then they'll charge again.

There is a massive backlash against the alt right after this weekend. They will go into hiding and lay low for a while. Just like after Berkley. Just like after Richard Spencer got run out of loving Auburn of all places ( don't gently caress with the :sec: bitch) , but it's only a matter of time before this happens again.

There have to be consequences for their actions.

Every single person that has been identified from this weekend needs to have their lives ruined. You smother this in its cradle right now. Yeah people like richard spencer are too in it to really ruin, and punching him is cool and good. But the people that would make up the rank and file need to understand that if they do this, they're becoming unemployable. They'll get kicked out of their university. They're moving back in with mom and dad. They'll never get laid again.

The nature of social media offers people on the left a historically unique opportunity to destroy this before it can get going. Yes, Trump is sympathetic to them for whatever loving reason, but he's a dead man walking. The institutions are resisting him in a way that didn't occur in 1930s germany.

These people need to be punished. make a large enough message now, and it will resonate through the rest of this generation. Fascism isn't some cool and edgy thing. It's a destructive force that needs to be stamped out, and supporting it, even if you're doing it ironically, is reason enough to have your life ruined. Even the most lighthearted, disinterested, ironic fascism will do damage, and it's just not something that can be hosed with.

now i'd like a spicy chicken sandwich, a frostee, and some fries

You should edit this down a bit (for length, not content) and send it to WAPO or something as a letter to the editor. Do they still publish those? I bet they do.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 15, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/...v=top-news&_r=0

Two more big shots quit the Manufacturing Council.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

BioThermo posted:

I'm the guy in the Wu Tang shirt kicking the statue.

How easy is it for civilians to procure Thermite for the purpose of rendering fallen statues unrecognizable, in the event that they don't fold like Mr Gray here?

it's actually really easy to make.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Thermite

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Did that manufacturing council ever actually meet to discuss or do anything?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
On Durham. The police watched them do it and didn't arrest anyone because they claimed lack of jurisdiction.

http://durhamnc.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=987

quote:

Durham Police Department (DPD) officers monitored the protests that occurred in the city tonight to ensure the protests were conducted in a safe manner and that no infractions occurred within city jurisdiction.
The DPD is aware that a Confederate monument was toppled at the old Durham County courthouse. Because this incident occurred on county property, where county law enforcement officials were staffed, no arrests were made by DPD officers.
The Durham County Sheriff’s Office is the agency that has jurisdiction over all county buildings and landmarks. When monitoring such incidents the Sheriff’s Office is the decision-making agency regarding law enforcement response on matters concerning county property.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

boner confessor posted:

north carolina law prevents local governments from removing memorials. sadly the county is legally required to replace the statute

hosed up if true. Decent local governments would need to keep paying for replacements because of laws by lovely state government. Hopefully they could just ignore the mandate and force the legislature's hand.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/attention_cnn/status/897307647023644674

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Don't make explosives and bring them to protests.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Fucks sake, don't play around with Thermite you maniacs, that stuff is potentially more unstable than napalm.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

flashy_mcflash posted:

Thinking practically, couldn't they tie up the replacement process forever, or is there a time period attached? Whoops we can't decide on the pose, let's debate it for five years.

there's a lot they can do to delay the process since i dont think anyone accounted for vandalism. the law just places state control over the relocation or removal of a bunch of different memorials or creative works including statues so that local governments can't take down statues without the state's approval, but this also implies the state could pay for replacements so

i mean the smart thing to do in this situation is just argue that the state needs to pay for the replacement since it's likely to just get damaged again. and it's going to take a while anyway because it's not like they have spares or molds for a nearly century old statue

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I await the alt-right Weird Al with great anticipation

Why must you tempt fate like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCLziPZRfH3CZEozrVBo7BKw?videos

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dmitri-9 posted:

Posobeic also tried to false flag anti-Trump protesters with a "rape Melania" sign and promoted Pizzagate.

HOLY poo poo that's the guy who was promoting the fake Macron leaks right when they came out.

He''s also the organizer for the March on Google. They sent out a presser today saying "No Nazis. We're not the Alt-Right." The more I learn about him, the more I think he's just doing his damnedest to avoid an rear end whuppin this weekend.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Watch this. All of it, but especially the last five minutes. Watch the Nazi gently caress justify his world view, and talk about how he hopes more people die at the next rally. Watch him say it was a success because no one on his side died and the "animals" didn't get out of the way of the car fast enough.

Then think about what it means to give people who publicly tell reporters they plan to kill others and want an ethno-state a platform on which to speak.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Did that manufacturing council ever actually meet to discuss or do anything?

Their website hasn't been updated since Trump took power, but they met once every couple of months before then, with different members. We can presume they have been keeping up since the changeover, but given how utterly dysfunctional the Trump administration is, it's not clear that anyone in power cares.

http://www.trade.gov/manufacturingcouncil/

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Why the hell are AFL-CIO people still on that council? Seriously, how or why did that happen and why is it still happening?

Also, bring a goddamn Hacksaw, what is wrong with you people?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Why the hell are AFL-CIO people still on that council? Seriously, how or why did that happen and why is it still happening?

:homebrew: I assume

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
They make cordless grinders now.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

you guys seriosly cant bend bronze w/ your bare hands?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RuanGacho posted:

Fucks sake, don't play around with Thermite you maniacs, that stuff is potentially more unstable than napalm.

I salute you future Two-Face impersonators.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

farraday posted:

On Durham. The police watched them do it and didn't arrest anyone because they claimed lack of jurisdiction.

http://durhamnc.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=987

Okay, if the actual cops are standing by with a poo poo-eating grin saying "not OUR problem :shobon:" while a traitor monument is pulled down, maybe things are starting to matter.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I hope the pd in cville gets sued into loving oblivion. What a bunch of fuckups.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Yardbomb posted:

Also try to not do the thermite thing because have fun if you gently caress up with any of that.

plenty of lost fingats

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Republicans around the country are now voting to raise taxes in order to save their constituent communities from the brink of implosion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.0fe6bfdfabc6

quote:

The vote to pass the budget in Illinois came amid uniquely bleak circumstances. The Republican governor and the Democratic-controlled legislature had failed for more than two years to agree on a plan to address a gap in revenue and spending, with Rauner focusing on his reform agenda and Democrats insisting on a tax increase.

The impasse left the state $15 billion in debt and on the verge of seeing its credit rating downgraded to junk status. The state had no mechanism to pay what it owed to state agencies and social-service nonprofits, forcing them to take out loans or cut services. Universities, already suffering from plummeting enrollment, shed employees and shaved programs. Dentists all but stopped getting paid by the insurance plan that covers state employees; Illinois owed some of them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Note that there are still some no-tax death cultists remaining.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay, if the actual cops are standing by with a poo poo-eating grin saying "not OUR problem :shobon:" while a traitor monument is pulled down, maybe things are starting to matter.

eh, or a bunch of cops saw it as technically not their problem and didn't want to physically break up a protest. "gently caress it" is usually a stronger force than political conviction. kind of like cops at music festivals, you ignore all the low level drug consumption and keep an eye out for violent and harmfully intoxicated people

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Calibanibal posted:

you guys seriosly cant bend bronze w/ your bare hands?

Maybe they'll bend the next one so it looks like it's blowing itself in honor of Steve Bannon.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Mister Adequate posted:

I mean they're cops so 99% sure they video taped it and if/when any charges are leveled those video tapes will play a big part.

But they aren't busting heads to save confederate statues and that feels like a win.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I thought thermite was really stable till it lit then it just burned like a fucker.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

I thought thermite was really stable till it lit then it just burned like a fucker.

Correct. It's very hard to ignite because aluminum powder is naturally oxidized- you generally need a very high temperature heat source like burning magnesium. A lot of people who have never touched it just speculating ITT, I guess.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

mistaya posted:

Watch this. All of it, but especially the last five minutes. Watch the Nazi gently caress justify his world view, and talk about how he hopes more people die at the next rally. Watch him say it was a success because no one on his side died and the "animals" didn't get out of the way of the car fast enough.

Then think about what it means to give people who publicly tell reporters they plan to kill others and want an ethno-state a platform on which to speak.

God this video made my blood boil.

What a bunch of insecure, fuckboi shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calibanibal posted:

nobody quote me or i will lose it

:devil:

• Locked thread