Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Use percentages or orders of magnitude indicators (millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know this question gets asked a lot but I haven't been in this position for a while- approximately how much time should I give myself after an interview before I get worried about not hearing back? I had an interview on July 28th that I thought was a slam dunk, and was told both by the recruiter and the HR rep who was on the interview that if they liked me, they would reach out to schedule a second interview (which is apparently normal procedure for them). But since then the only communication I've had is when I email my recruiter a week ago today to ask what was up, and she hadn't heard anything back at that time.

I'm about to email her again but am wondering if I'm starting to cross into pushy or desperate territory. The most likely explanation seems to be that I was the first person who interviewed for the role (I was told that I was the first one that the recruiter's group had sent in for an interview), but I wasn't told when to expect to hear back and they sounded like they needed someone in there fairly quickly; they did ask how much time I would need to wrap up at my current employer if I agreed to come work at the new place instead. I also had an interview elsewhere on Monday and was told to expect to hear back within the week, so in the event that I get an offer there I at least want to know my progress with the other company since the offers as I currently understand them are pretty comparable. Lastly, I know a guy who works there (albeit in a different group) who is aware that they are trying to fill this role, and could simply ask him. How should I approach this?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is it common for universities to request five references? I reckon that's a very good sign if they're requesting references at this stage in the game.

All of the references appear to be online surveys, but one of my references won't be available via PC until Saturday. Should I just e-mail the HR contact and say that he's only available by phone until the weekend? I was hoping to get an offer tomorrow but it could be until next week.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

Is it common for universities to request five references? I reckon that's a very good sign if they're requesting references at this stage in the game.
I've never been asked for more than three, but five seems like a reasonable request for someone who's been in industry for a good length of time.

Vargatron posted:

All of the references appear to be online surveys, but one of my references won't be available via PC until Saturday. Should I just e-mail the HR contact and say that he's only available by phone until the weekend? I was hoping to get an offer tomorrow but it could be until next week.
Wouldn't hurt, but it's only one work day, so they probably won't care one way or the other.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay that makes sense. I've been working in IT for like 6.5 years with the company I'm with, but I'm just guessing that universities have higher vetting requirements than other businesses.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Okay that makes sense. I've been working in IT for like 6.5 years with the company I'm with, but I'm just guessing that universities have higher vetting requirements than other businesses.
Public universities usually have to go through all the red tape of any other government organization when it comes to hiring and firing. Private universities are a crapshoot; some of them do due diligence, and some don't. I used to work for one that hired a director of IT who lied about literally every credential on his resume and, while well-liked (the attribute that got him the job), had absolutely no idea what he was doing until the day he was unexpectedly walked by security. That same organization now has real HR and is pretty on the ball with background checks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I see. So I guess expecting an offer today when they asked for references yesterday is an unreasonable timeline.

Oh well, at least I've made it this far in the process. 4 of the 6 references I gave responded to the web survey yesterday so that's a really good sign.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I don't necessarily expect to get a response to this, but does anyone have info or links on how to improve competency interview scores for UK civil service interviews?

My scores have been improving, but since most jobs are allotted strictly on a ranked basis, I'd really like to work on getting them as high as possible for the future.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I don't necessarily expect to get a response to this, but does anyone have info or links on how to improve competency interview scores for UK civil service interviews?

My scores have been improving, but since most jobs are allotted strictly on a ranked basis, I'd really like to work on getting them as high as possible for the future.

I assume that is related to the U.S. Foreign Service as a counterpart? We have a thread on that and there may be goons there able to advise. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166411

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Off to the fourth and final round of interviews on-site (they're flying me in).

So far I've managed to dodge the salary question pretty effectively, but now I'm worried....what if they're completely out of synch with what someone with my experience would get elsewhere? Hate going through all of this for nothing Anyone else feel that way?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Omne posted:

So far I've managed to dodge the salary question pretty effectively, but now I'm worried....what if they're completely out of synch with what someone with my experience would get elsewhere? Hate going through all of this for nothing Anyone else feel that way?
The goon wisdom is to avoid naming a number first, but this is the reason why I answer the question honestly the first time about my salary expectations. There's no value to me in wasting days of my time on something that was never going to work in the first place.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Did they get your prior salary out of you yet?

I'd say you'd at least get the average for the position after 4 interviews and airfare. And they'd likely entertain a counter offer.

They've also almost certainly noticed you've dodged the salary question, which means they know you're likely to negotiate.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Vulture Culture posted:

The goon wisdom is to avoid naming a number first, but this is the reason why I answer the question honestly the first time about my salary expectations. There's no value to me in wasting days of my time on something that was never going to work in the first place.

Seriously. Just have an upfront dialogue about your expectations. Why dodge the question and waste everyone's time and money?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Because the question isn't usually about expectations, it's a blunt first round ask of "what is your current comp?" and your offer will be inextricably tied to that number in many cases, regardless of jumps in skill/responsibility from your current gig to the prospective one.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Because the question isn't usually about expectations, it's a blunt first round ask of "what is your current comp?" and your offer will be inextricably tied to that number in many cases, regardless of jumps in skill/responsibility from your current gig to the prospective one.

You can pretty easily respond to the question by stating your expectations if you don't want to give your current compensation.

The main reason is that there normally is a large asymmetry in the amount of information each party has. You know relatively little about what you're worth especially to this specific company while the company should know what you're worth to them and probably has significant knowledge about how much you're worth to other companies. If this isn't the case, or you don't want to potentially waste your time, then you be upfront about expectations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm bad at negotiations and took roughly a 5% pay cut to accept a new job yesterday, but made up for that in additional vacation days and sick leave. I'll make that 5% back in my first yearly review so it's no big deal.

I'm actually going to have way less responsibility at my new job so I was perfectly fine with losing a bit of money to go ahead and get the job locked up.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thanks for the feedback everyone. When asking, I stated I'm looking for competitive compensation commensurate with my skills, experience and the needs of the position, and that if they're in the ballpark of average then we shouldn't have an issue. My worry now is this is a small company in another city, and I've only worked at large, global companies that seem to pay pretty well. I'm not going to balk at a slight raise, or even potentially a small cut, given that my wife and I want to move to this city. I just have this reoccuring nightmare that they are like $20k less than what I make now, which would be an unacceptable cut. I make $95k now + 9% bonus, the national average for the position I'm interviewing for is $111k but the local average is $81k (with an incredibly wide range, up to $140k). If they can be close to mine, I'm fine. If they offer $75k we've got a problem. The hiring manager said he wanted someone with Fortune 100 experience and an MBA, and this role has direct reports, so I don't think they could really offer much lower than what I'm getting and expect to get a solid candidate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Obviously there are regional differences but if someone wants a Fortune 100 MBA who will have direct reports and they think they can get that for $75K they're out of their loving gourd.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

I know this question gets asked a lot but I haven't been in this position for a while- approximately how much time should I give myself after an interview before I get worried about not hearing back?

Welp, as I thought, they gave it to someone else. I have never felt as good coming out of an interview as I did walking out of this one, and I didn't even make it to the 2nd round (if they actually called people back like they said they would). I have no idea what I'm supposed to learn here. The only thing I can think of is that the recruiter asked me what my salary range was, and she caved first and told me the budget for the position, to which I said I wanted the max. If they didn't want to even try and negotiate with me then gently caress them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Welp, as I thought, they gave it to someone else. I have never felt as good coming out of an interview as I did walking out of this one, and I didn't even make it to the 2nd round (if they actually called people back like they said they would). I have no idea what I'm supposed to learn here. The only thing I can think of is that the recruiter asked me what my salary range was, and she caved first and told me the budget for the position, to which I said I wanted the max. If they didn't want to even try and negotiate with me then gently caress them.

Could be any number of things. Don't worry about it. If it became a pattern that would be one thing, sometimes these things just happen and you'll never get enough information to explain it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

No Butt Stuff posted:

Could be any number of things. Don't worry about it. If it became a pattern that would be one thing, sometimes these things just happen and you'll never get enough information to explain it.

Yeah I know. Just really disappointed because it would have been the same job I'm doing now but in a healthier work environment for a lot more money. Plus I had an interview for another place last week and felt way worse coming out of that one so I'm staring down 0-2 on interviews to get out of the bad job I currently have.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hi jobs thread. I have a pending offer from a great and well-connected company in my city that is going to offer at minimum a 11 percent pay increase, which is neat, with some possibility for negotiation there. Not sure on what the rest of the benefits will look like.

Pros: The organization is prestigious and will open a lot of doors for my field. It's a position I want to work in a field I've been looking to return to for some time. Prospective minimum pay bump is promising. Also, I wouldn't have to drive to work and will save money on gas (and likely car maintenance down the road).

Cons: I'm sort of concerned that the title is going to probably look like a step down at first. Currently I'm a Lead Data Admin at my job; this new position is as an Assistant. It is definitely a slightly different type of work where my only previous experience was as an intern, so should I worry about this? My thought was I can possibly negotiate for a title change in the future if my performance is good. With that said, I might be overthinking this.

Also, what are people's experiences in comparing benefits? I've never really had to do it before so I'm totally not clear on what constitutes, for example, a good amount of vacation time or employer matching on retirement accounts or whatnot. I just finished college two years ago with a not strictly employable degree and come from a sort of rough background so I'm not, like, supremely well-versed in any of this stuff, to be honest. Am sort of crawling my way into the middle class without a lot of background knowledge and would appreciate any insight I can get. Thanks!

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
My place has a job board on our intranet and every single position has a "posted externally" check box that's always ticked, and I know they interview outside candidates for almost everything. I can't think of a single big role that hasn't been filled by an internal candidate in the 9 years I've been here.
I don't get down about rejections when I'm qualified and nail the interview, sometimes networking and politics get in the way and there's nothing you can do about it no matter how good you are. That's not to say it's never the interviewees fault but hey sometimes you do everything right and it still won't be enough.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

idiot of the legal system posted:

Hi jobs thread. I have a pending offer from a great and well-connected company in my city that is going to offer at minimum a 11 percent pay increase, which is neat, with some possibility for negotiation there. Not sure on what the rest of the benefits will look like.

Pros: The organization is prestigious and will open a lot of doors for my field. It's a position I want to work in a field I've been looking to return to for some time. Prospective minimum pay bump is promising. Also, I wouldn't have to drive to work and will save money on gas (and likely car maintenance down the road).

Cons: I'm sort of concerned that the title is going to probably look like a step down at first. Currently I'm a Lead Data Admin at my job; this new position is as an Assistant. It is definitely a slightly different type of work where my only previous experience was as an intern, so should I worry about this? My thought was I can possibly negotiate for a title change in the future if my performance is good. With that said, I might be overthinking this.

Also, what are people's experiences in comparing benefits? I've never really had to do it before so I'm totally not clear on what constitutes, for example, a good amount of vacation time or employer matching on retirement accounts or whatnot. I just finished college two years ago with a not strictly employable degree and come from a sort of rough background so I'm not, like, supremely well-versed in any of this stuff, to be honest. Am sort of crawling my way into the middle class without a lot of background knowledge and would appreciate any insight I can get. Thanks!

I wouldn't consider something a step down if you're changing fields and getting paid more. In general I would say that your situation is good as it means you have room to advance both in title and pay in the new job. Titles may be negotiable, but you may be held to a higher standard and if you don't also negotiate higher pay to go along with it you're taking away an easy promotion and promotions are generally when you get the biggest increase in compensation outside of switching jobs.

Make a spreadsheet to compare them and assign value to the differences and then use that along the other elements of compensation to determine the total compensation for each job. Vacation is negotiable at some companies so you should at least try to negotiate more there. Most other benefits aren't though you can always ask.

asur fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 17, 2017

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

asur: That's a great point about room for advancement. I appreciate the rest of the post too :)

Is PTO usually the only non-wage-related thing that's usually on the table for discussion?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

life is a joke posted:

My place has a job board on our intranet and every single position has a "posted externally" check box that's always ticked, and I know they interview outside candidates for almost everything. I can't think of a single big role that hasn't been filled by an internal candidate in the 9 years I've been here.
I don't get down about rejections when I'm qualified and nail the interview, sometimes networking and politics get in the way and there's nothing you can do about it no matter how good you are. That's not to say it's never the interviewees fault but hey sometimes you do everything right and it still won't be enough.

I interviewed for a manager position recently that my manager asked me to interview for. I didn't get it as they, instead of hiring a manager, spun off all the people I'd manage into different groups.

asur: That's a great point about room for advancement. I appreciate the rest of the post too :)

Is PTO usually the only non-wage-related thing that's usually on the table for discussion?

I've always wondered has anyone ever negotiated for more PTO at a large company? My company has it basically set in stone based on years of employment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's usually the only vaguely negotiable thing but you also want to look at:

Health insurance - quality, premiums, deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums.
Retirement accounts - available funds, employer matching
Other subsidies - transit, etc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

life is a joke posted:

Yeah but I'll never know if I actually needed to do something different during the interview, or if they gave it to someone else because their cousin knew the hiring manager or something. Whatever, I'll probably get over it sooner if I stop posting about it.

E: Aaaand the other one turned me down (which I thought would be more likely). The only thing worse than working a job you hate is trying and failing to leave it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 17, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's usually the only vaguely negotiable thing but you also want to look at:

Health insurance - quality, premiums, deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums.
Retirement accounts - available funds, employer matching
Other subsidies - transit, etc

also bonus/sign on bonus
prorating any benefits or any benefits that don't become available for x amount of time.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the salary part. I flew in for the interview, met with six or seven people, had breakfast with the hiring manager, and at the end we sat down and he brought up benefits (relocation reimbursement, health, PTO, etc.) and said where the salary range was for what they originally thought the position would be, but now that it would have direct reports it would be more. That previous range fit where I'm at now, so should be good to go.

And now the waiting game. It's just between me and one other person (interviewing today or tomorrow) and he said we should hear back early next week, so cross your fingers

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

CarForumPoster posted:

I've always wondered has anyone ever negotiated for more PTO at a large company? My company has it basically set in stone based on years of employment.

I recruit for a "large financial institution" and it is very rare that there is an exception given to the corporate policy on PTO. In a 40K+ org, that would be not only a source of butthurt but an absolute nightmare to keep track of. That said, in my area at least no one really counts PTO days. Do your job, take vacations when you need to, and don't overdo it yada yada.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dark Helmut posted:

I recruit for a "large financial institution" and it is very rare that there is an exception given to the corporate policy on PTO. In a 40K+ org, that would be not only a source of butthurt but an absolute nightmare to keep track of. That said, in my area at least no one really counts PTO days. Do your job, take vacations when you need to, and don't overdo it yada yada.

That sounds nice. I currently have 107.29 PTO hours saved up.

Lucky me.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
I was contacted by a recruiter for a position I hadn't even officially applied for yet (got through the profile part but didn't actually "sign" it) Does this seem strange? She basically asked for my salary requirements to make sure their budget aligns with my needs... But I just find it odd that I didn't even finish the application and she emailed me the very next morning.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
We get excited when we have a good candidate. Don't begrudge us one of the only two enjoyable parts of our job! (the other being the offer part)

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Dark Helmut posted:

We get excited when we have a good candidate. Don't begrudge us one of the only two enjoyable parts of our job! (the other being the offer part)

I guess I worry that they might seem desperate to fill the position because my current company has really high turnover and has been holding mass interviews lately so I just don't want to put myself in the same situation (with a position that has had high turnover).

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

liz posted:

I guess I worry that they might seem desperate to fill the position because my current company has really high turnover and has been holding mass interviews lately so I just don't want to put myself in the same situation (with a position that has had high turnover).

I wouldn't sweat that based on an early reach out. The recruiter could have found you on the boards/LinkedIn, or just had extra time to source that day. Look to your own social network to see if you have connections that have worked there or ask during the process why the position is open. I might even cite your concerns directly with regard to your company and high turnover.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ugh my offer letter is in "final salary approval" and I'm waiting for them to send the formal letter over. The hiring director is pissed off because HR is dragging their feet on getting everything done.

I JUST WANT TO RESIGN!

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
So I have an interview on Friday (super excited), I have had very very few interviews so far in my life so been googling and watching videos and such. One comment was that an interviewee should be taking notes during the interview and not taking notes was a red flag. Is this true? I very rarely if ever have taken notes just doesn't fit into my work flow, thing. Should I take notes for show?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BattleMoose posted:

So I have an interview on Friday (super excited), I have had very very few interviews so far in my life so been googling and watching videos and such. One comment was that an interviewee should be taking notes during the interview and not taking notes was a red flag. Is this true? I very rarely if ever have taken notes just doesn't fit into my work flow, thing. Should I take notes for show?

You don't have to but, at the very least get business cards or write down the names of the people you're interviewing with so you don't forget them. Spending $50 on a nice leather bound portfolio with a notepad would make a good impression too.

I think the only prohibition I've read is on pre-written notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Also if they ask if you have any questions be sure to have questions, but not lame questions that focus entirely on money or benefits. Ask questions about the team you'll be working with, the type of issues you'll be handling, and fun stuff like that. You want to positively drip TEAM PLAYER.