Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rotary engines as a consumer product are dead in the same way diesels are going to be since they are being legislated out of existence and the vast majority of people don't really care what the engine is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
It goes some light airplanes and those dolphin looking sub/pwc now. Its a really compact engine and there are situations it would make a lot of sense in. A constant rpm applicatiom avoids nearly all the downsides to them too. There are reasons besides just cars to pursue it but i dont know if that ultimately matters.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It doesn't matter, like the post above yous said nobody cares about trying to keep the rotary alive besides a small group of enthusiasts, and at this point there's probably not a whole lot of people at Mazda trying to keep it alive either.

[edit] imo the RX8 killed it, I worked in parts for a Mazda dealership when all that was going down and honestly it was loving ridiculous, I felt sorry for the car owners and the techs that had to deal with it. I was ordering two motors a week at one point, there's no way to come back from a stigma like that and Mazda knows it, it's over.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 14, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I thought they were going ahead with it already. If thats not case, yeah it wont resurface without a breakthrough. I looked up design of the new one to me looks worse when it comes to heat, not better and it still has a 90 bend right before the intake port with no way to deal with heat transfer from the exhaust. Then they moved the catalytic converter closer and added a turbo. That thing will burn with the heat of a thousand suns. I have my doubts.

E: and yeah the forums during this time were mega loving sad. People were putting serious goddamn effort into saving these cars
Just doing everything, and it was a total crapshoot at the end of the day. The rebuilds were somehow worse. I mean what do you even say to someone when they dont get to 50k on two engines combined lol.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 14, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stop talking about your dumb rotary engines in this thread

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah, sorry.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eh, Wankels are cool.

I swear GM was going to dump one in the Corvair but only see Vette prototypes. Then the MB C111. Good times. And of course the vacuum hose diagram on a FD.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

This is an ideal summer project car, right? Nothing could *possibly* go wrong with a 5k Rolls!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Rotary engines as a consumer product are dead in the same way diesels are going to be since they are being legislated out of existence and the vast majority of people don't really care what the engine is.

isn't there a diesel engine that runs on gasoline coming from one of the Japanese companies?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah that's Mazda too.

Actually they've really gone all in with diesel in Japan anyway - really weird given what's going on elsewhere (and the general lack of Japanese diesels)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pham Nuwen posted:

isn't there a diesel engine that runs on gasoline coming from one of the Japanese companies?

Yeah, Mazda is going to do HCCI.

Which reminds me, are there any Infiniti variable compression engines out yet?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Mazda.
Went all in with a rotary, did a supercharged miller cycle, made passenger diesel cars in the 80s, had a partnership with ford (when ford owned 40-50%) which made fords oh so much better, Experimented with hydrogen rotaries, and now doing HCCI.
No one can say they're boring. The only thing they've ever lacked was a RWD I6. E: but you can forgive them in that respect due to the 20b

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 15, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They made a 1.8L V6 for the MX3

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I know they did v6s, but I'm a straight /inline 6 fanboy. Toyota and nissan for example made them, but mazda too busy with rotaries I guess. When I had to drop the rotor due to budget there was nothing in the mazda range that interested me, so I switched from mazda rotary to the ford falcon and BMW inline 6.

E: no idea why I feel like that. Could be I was brought up with everyone driving I6s in the 1970s, could be the increased risk of head gasket failure and warping makes it feel risky just to own, similar to like my rotaries where had a constant fear in the back of my mind it was going to poo poo itself :v:
Could also be that v8s have such higher reg and ins cost but 6cyl is 'enough' for me but v6 is just a commodore/buick engine so gently caress v6s.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 15, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They also put a rotary in a bus (Mazda Parkway). In addition, I think the Mazda Luce (929 elsewhere) could have a rotary, Inline, or V engine. Probably the only car in history like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Eh, Wankels are cool.

I swear GM was going to dump one in the Corvair but only see Vette prototypes. Then the MB C111. Good times. And of course the vacuum hose diagram on a FD.

The Vega was originally designed for a rotary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Rotary_Combustion_Engine

Huh. According to that, the AMC Pacer was supposed to have one two. And GM R&D got the reliability to over 500K miles, and had just about solved the fuel economy versus emissions issue. They got the economy up by running it hot, which then tore up reliability and emissions initially.

super nailgun posted:

This is an ideal summer project car, right? Nothing could *possibly* go wrong with a 5k Rolls!

I think we all know what needs to happen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fghFlD_A7mI

Or maybe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFN8NsPgS2M

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

julian assflange posted:

Which sounds amazing when uncorked.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which sounds amazing when uncorked.

I had a poverty spec MX3 as my second car and always wanted one of those since there were way more aftermarket parts than the base motor.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Snowy posted:

Throw some 8-bit logos on it maybe so it looks intentionally bad

Yeah, it's like a car from GTA 1 made real.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DiggityDoink posted:

I had a poverty spec MX3 as my second car and always wanted one of those since there were way more aftermarket parts than the base motor.

Really? More aftermarket for the v6 than the 1.6 that was the same (minus turbo bits) as in the 323 GTX?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Really? More aftermarket for the v6 than the 1.6 that was the same (minus turbo bits) as in the 323 GTX?

My bad, there were 2 inline 4 motors and I had the SOHC instead of the DOHC. The DOHC had all the parts for it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Japan's greated automotive achievement is not Toyota, the biggest and most profitable carmaker in the world, or Honda, who made their own god drat jet airplane, but the rotary engine.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Here's a thing of beauty if you're into bragging about four-wheeling in your Mercedes

https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/d/1988-mercedes-240-diesel/6246275695.html

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Throatwarbler posted:

Japan's greated automotive achievement is not Toyota, the biggest and most profitable carmaker in the world, or Honda, who made their own god drat jet airplane, but the rotary engine.

There's a difference between a automotive achievement and a business achievement. You just need to look at the website of either Honda or Toyota to know that they haven't made any automotive achievements in quite a while.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
[quote="“julian assflange”" post="“475397131”"]
[/quote]

Mitsubishi made a 1.6L V6 at one point - the early 90s were an interesting time for Japanese cars

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Throatwarbler posted:

I worked on this engine for a couple years and it's a joke compared to any of the engines designed in the US. Holy loving trainwreck. They literally reassigned some of their F1 engineers (after they had pulled out of F1) and had them design a jet engine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought the HondaJet was Cool and Good, based on what the pilots say. Is it, instead, Bad?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Hondajet's engine is designed in the US....

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Neither a HondaJet nor a rotary:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1546550528737831

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Sinestro posted:

There's a difference between a automotive achievement and a business achievement. You just need to look at the website of either Honda or Toyota to know that they haven't made any automotive achievements in quite a while.

lol yeah, the greatest car manufacturer on earth making the first mass produced hybrid car was such a minor achievement that only BMW wanted anything to do with it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I would buy that for $500, if it has a good title. And then make the wagon roof removable (it says they still have it.)
Hell, I'd make it so that you could attache the wagon roof overlapping the forward portion, so that the rear hatch is behind the seats. Sliding convertible pickup wagon thing.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Sinestro posted:

Toyota had the fastest qualifying lap ever on this years LeMans.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

It's still too much. I paid $400 for my perfectly good 240.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Your market's saturated, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Octopus Magic posted:

Toyota had the fastest qualifying lap ever on this years LeMans.

Toyota is bad, BAD I tell you!!!!!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah, they don't get that cheap around here. Several $1000-1200 850s with various issues, 700s and 900s aroun the same and up. Only Volvo under $1K I found was an 850 turbo wagon with a blown head gasket. $450 and includes the gasket kit "just don't have time to fix it." I'm... actually contemplating that one.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

KakerMix posted:

Toyota is bad, BAD I tell you!!!!!

They don't make the exact cars that I want, and therefore they're terrible.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sinestro posted:

They don't make the exact cars that I want, and therefore they're terrible.

Yes I like working on cars and it only takes 5 minutes to change the brakes or oil and nothing fun ever breaks so gently caress them. Lucas ignition for lyfe!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Yes I like working on cars and it only takes 5 minutes to change the brakes or oil and nothing fun ever breaks so gently caress them. Lucas ignition for lyfe!

We all love feeling like wizards with out esoteric language and tribal knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Goddamnit you loving spergs, take it someplace other than the loving Craigslist thread.