Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Relatively good = 37.5 points allowed per game

Really good would be like...32....33?

Look, it's probably much better if you take away the four games that they lost by a combined 225-0 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Florida players made "improper charges on their student IDs"

what's that code for?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

You only need like 10 points to beat Michigan anyway.

You won't score 10 points

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Florida players made "improper charges on their student IDs"

what's that code for?

stuff not approved for school credit care use by players. electronics and such I guess

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pillsburysoldier posted:

stuff not approved for school credit care use by players. electronics and such I guess

Oooooh okay. My college didn't have a charge system like that :shrug:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm such an old, they just cut us checks back in the day and we had to super swear we would use the money for textbooks and computers only.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm such an old, they just cut us checks back in the day and we had to super swear we would use the money for textbooks and computers only.

Same. 90% of mine went to beer and gas money for road trips. Oops.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

pillsburysoldier posted:

Weird, I bought my Xbox 360 with my Mizzou student account at the bookstore

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think it was 2015, but a few UGA players got caught double dipping their stipend checks or cashing the checks of other players.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT names Josh Jackson starter. Former Cornhusker AJ Bush made a tremendous push for the job and by all accounts will still probably see some decent PT but JJ was pushing Jerod Evans last year so he's no slouch. Fuente's shown to be an awesome QB coach so whatever he says is good with me anyway.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Did Frank Broyels just die?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

God I love my alma mater
https://twitter.com/seminole4life22/status/896518441561014272

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Butch Jones thinks you guys are making too much out of his slogans so just shut up ok

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Arti...esseeVolunteers

quote:

"Every football team program has those," Jones said. "It’s a way to get the attention of your program. So we haven’t been any different."

It was "Own It" for Jones and the Vols last season.

Own the hype that was building around the program. Own the expectations. Own everything that was coming Tennessee's way as Jones entered his fourth season on the job, with six future NFL draft picks --- all taken in the first four rounds --- on the same roster.

"Start Fast, Finish Strong," was another slogan for the 2016 team, which started 5-0, with Jauan Jennings' Hail Mary at Georgia as the season's high-water mark. The Vols finished 4-4, with losses to Texas A&M, Alabama, South Carolina and Vanderbilt as injuries mounted during the second half of the season.

Jones, 30-21 (14-18 SEC) in four seasons at Tennessee, has labeled his current team with "DAT Way" --- details, accountability, toughness. It's a product of sitting down with his coaching staff and trying to narrow the focus of their team, defining the three biggest points of emphasis for the 2017 season.

But after phrases like "champions of life" and "five-star hearts" had their viral moments over the last year, Jones can't explain why. What he says, as he explains it, isn't any different than what any other coach says.

"I think it’s been grossly over talked about," Jones said. "Again, it’s something that’s relatability. Our is ‘DAT Way.’ Details, accountability and toughness.

"I think if you do your research around the country, every football program has to have something that they’re going to hang their hat on. Whether it’s in times when you need perseverance or when you need to focus your football team.

"It really just exemplifies what that current football team needs," he added. "Nothing has really changed with what we’re doing."

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I mean, he's right about most programs having stupid slogans, but the "champions of life" thing was still very funny.

Especially combined with the championship-esque celebration that followed the NASCAR bowl last year, which was admittedly not his fault.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Champions of Life makes me roll my eyes. Five star hearts or whatever it was wasn't anything new.

I also wonder if VT had won Bristol if Fuente would have received as much poo poo about the celebration as Butch did.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Did Frank Broyels just die?

Yes.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently in UGA's camp, the defense has totally been owning the offense. If our offense is like last year, it doesn't surprise me at all.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Crotch Bat posted:

VT names Josh Jackson starter. Former Cornhusker AJ Bush made a tremendous push for the job and by all accounts will still probably see some decent PT but JJ was pushing Jerod Evans last year so he's no slouch. Fuente's shown to be an awesome QB coach so whatever he says is good with me anyway.

Josh Jackson is going to be unstoppable. Like a cross between Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. But fast, and with a stronger arm.

Source: Fred Jackson

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently in UGA's camp, the defense has totally been owning the offense. If our offense is like last year, it doesn't surprise me at all.

ah, smell that 8-4 record just over the horizon

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Crotch Bat posted:

I'd totally believe someone poisoned the well for Nutt on interviews. He wasn't so objectively bad he'd be forced into other work, he was more than capable of coaching at G5 or lower P5 schools until retirement.

He lost at home to Jacksonville State.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/UVa_Football/status/897226640161460227

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

iospace posted:

Counterpoint

It's Rutgers

A pretty good program momentarily down because of a bad hire? True that.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Relatively good = 37.5 points allowed per game

Really good would be like...32....33?

It'd help if you actually read posts. They routinely had to defend 20 yard fields due to the horrible offense and S/T, were on the field constantly for the same reason, and they were starting a bunch of true freshmen. S&P+ had them as the #56 defense last year.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 15, 2017

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

#goacc

(Josh Jackson for Hesiman ground floor)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Kim Jong Il posted:

A pretty good program momentarily down because of a bad hire? True that.

More like historically bad program with a blip of tepid success

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
We're driving to Florida from Texas through Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, and Gainesville. We're planning on stopping at the respective stadiums to go oooh ahh as we look on from the outside.

Unfortunately, I don't think that we're going to be in any of those places in time to actually eat food. Just in case, any lunch recommendations in Baton Rouge or Gainesville? Breakfast recommendations in Tallahassee?

Any other must-stops on the way? Dinner will prolly be in either Mobile or Pensacola.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

kayakyakr posted:

We're driving to Florida from Texas through Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, and Gainesville. We're planning on stopping at the respective stadiums to go oooh ahh as we look on from the outside.

Unfortunately, I don't think that we're going to be in any of those places in time to actually eat food. Just in case, any lunch recommendations in Baton Rouge or Gainesville? Breakfast recommendations in Tallahassee?

Any other must-stops on the way? Dinner will prolly be in either Mobile or Pensacola.

What day will you be there? Brunch in tallahassee loving rules

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pillsburysoldier posted:

What day will you be there? Brunch in tallahassee loving rules

Nah, Thursday morning.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

kayakyakr posted:

Nah, Thursday morning.

Ahh cool. If you're heading east through Apalachee Parkway to hit gainesville for UF's dumb stupid stadium, The Bada Bean is a really good breakfast place on the way. Much closer to campus, you can try this https://maplestreetbiscuits.com/menu/

If you happen to be going with a booster or know someone who is one, complete shot in the dark, I would ask if they can set you up to eat at FSU's training table at the stadium called The Figg Performance Table, or call dining services and see if they would let you go. There's a reason we have a new mobile kitchen in a semi for out football team. Don't bother with any of the other on-campus dining options if you get turned away though.

I think it's worth a phone call

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 15, 2017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kayakyakr posted:

Parrain's for lunch in Baton Rouge. It is the place I take everyone when they come here and ask for a place to eat. Any of the fried seafood is delicious, and the fried Cornish game hen is amazing. If you get a platter with a salad, try the Tabasco pepper jelly vinagrette. Their dirty rice is drat good too.

If you like seafood chowder, I like Flounders directly on Pensacola Beach and their key lime pie is enormous.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

I always liked AJ Bush from his performance in the Nebraska spring game a couple of years ago. Hope for the best for him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kayakyakr posted:

I haven't been there in years, but one place in Gainesville that was the tits when I was there is The Top. Its only open for dinner though, but great food, and according to google it is still there and highly rated.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

I haven't been there in years, but one place in Gainesville that was the tits when I was there is The Top. Its only open for dinner though, but great food, and according to google it is still there and highly rated.

That doesn't help... We'll be in Titusville/Cocoa by then.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Meanwhile on the west coast

quote:

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego State canceled Monday night's football practice to try to quell an outbreak of chickenpox among players.

The school said that would give workers time to clean and disinfect the weight room and locker room.

Practice is scheduled to resume Tuesday afternoon.

SDSU spokeswoman Gina Jacobs said there are five confirmed cases and the school is in touch with the County Public Health Services.

The first case was reported Friday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is a vaccine for that now....

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Unrelated to college football but you're a doctor and all of the Mumps outbreaks in hockey over the last few years have puzzled me. Did those guys just not get MMR vaccines or are they susceptible to breaking down after a while? Or susceptible to like, being bombarded by a bunch of other dudes you're sharing a locker room with who have mumps?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Grittybeard posted:

Unrelated to college football but you're a doctor and all of the Mumps outbreaks in hockey over the last few years have puzzled me. Did those guys just not get MMR vaccines or are they susceptible to breaking down after a while? Or susceptible to like, being bombarded by a bunch of other dudes you're sharing a locker room with who have mumps?

I thought you had to get vaccinated for MMR to attend school everywhere in the US. Guess that must only be private schools and colleges.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Dango Bango posted:

I always liked AJ Bush from his performance in the Nebraska spring game a couple of years ago. Hope for the best for him.

The general consensus is AJ Bush will be the backup and may come in for running plays once in a blue moon (or play action).

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

swickles posted:

It's not like this is the first time the Aztecs have been susceptible to disease

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

ah, smell that 8-4 record just over the horizon

No expectations with how this season will go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

KKKLIP ART posted:

No expectations with how this season will go.

I tend to assume mediocrity.

• Locked thread