Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

I always just use Linode, personally. I've never had any issues.

Fortis posted:

I've always used Akliz and they've always been great.

Thanks, I'll check them both out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just to let people know: a new fork/iteration/whatever-you-want-to-call-it of Ex Nihilo has been released for 1.12.

And it actually has built-in autosifting!

https://i.gyazo.com/bd8146ebbf0c6b6285de544582a950c2.mp4

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Now that's a cool way to do autosifting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That's some cool poo poo.

I'd like to do an Ex Nihilo chapter in an updated BFSR (if I ever get that far... drat!), but I definitely need to throw in those viaducts. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

AoE status: killed babby's first chaos guardian

speaks a lot for the pack when i actually managed to get to DE end-game

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Weltlich posted:

What's the favored hosting service these days? I've got a fairly stable mod pack I've been working on with some friends for a while, but we'd like to host it on a service so we don't have to have a personal machine running 24/7. I've googled it, and seen some that the price seemed reasonable, but I'm always leery of signing up for something only to find out "Nope, you're not running an approved modpack, so tough luck!"

You've probably already signed up for some time with one of those other servers, but lemme throw my $0.02 in. I started Disasterpiece Theater on Akliz, and it was pretty OK, but choked every once in a while on 1.7.10 and was very expensive. $65/month, and we were getting lag and problems in 1.7.10. We went server shopping and ended up on HostHorde, which costs $25/month for their premium plan and has been pretty rock solid in 1.7.10 and almost unbreakable so far in 1.10.2. Only con is it basically uses an unmodified Multicraft server console which is not as intuitive as Akliz's custom console. But for $25 vs. $65 per month, I've learned to deal with it.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I have a Craft of the Titans with 6 people playing from BluefangSolutions, had a 20% code and a discount for paying for 3 months at a time or something makes the cost about $4 a month.
I didn't upgrade the memory or anything but so far it's pretty smooth although we haven't built anything insane yet. Lags some when people generate new chunks while flying although I've not played on many that didn't.
You pretty much get a console, a file browser and FTP access, not sure what is standard with Minecraft hosts.
Only annoying thing is having to have their support change the launcher if I want to run something new but the turn around time on help tickets is insanely fast. I put a ticket in at 2am one morning and they replied 15 minutes later.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any tips for finding rftools dimensional ore? Even with the moreore dimlet it's really rare.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Depends posted:

I have a Craft of the Titans with 6 people playing from BluefangSolutions, had a 20% code and a discount for paying for 3 months at a time or something makes the cost about $4 a month.
I didn't upgrade the memory or anything but so far it's pretty smooth although we haven't built anything insane yet. Lags some when people generate new chunks while flying although I've not played on many that didn't.
You pretty much get a console, a file browser and FTP access, not sure what is standard with Minecraft hosts.
Only annoying thing is having to have their support change the launcher if I want to run something new but the turn around time on help tickets is insanely fast. I put a ticket in at 2am one morning and they replied 15 minutes later.

I'd love to see what your TPS looks like during a bloodmoon with 6 people on

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any tips for finding rftools dimensional ore? Even with the moreore dimlet it's really rare.

A digital miner set to only pick up RFTools ore works the best, if you have Mekanism in your pack.

It's pretty rare. In a 32 radius area, I'd usually find no more than half a stack from sky to bedrock.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've always been pretty lucky and found a dimensional share ore dimlet in one of the first couple dimensions I visit. After that, it's just been a matter of getting a feature to pair it with.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

You've probably already signed up for some time with one of those other servers, but lemme throw my $0.02 in. I started Disasterpiece Theater on Akliz, and it was pretty OK, but choked every once in a while on 1.7.10 and was very expensive. $65/month, and we were getting lag and problems in 1.7.10. We went server shopping and ended up on HostHorde, which costs $25/month for their premium plan and has been pretty rock solid in 1.7.10 and almost unbreakable so far in 1.10.2. Only con is it basically uses an unmodified Multicraft server console which is not as intuitive as Akliz's custom console. But for $25 vs. $65 per month, I've learned to deal with it.
I can vouch that neo's hosthorde server is pretty legit, and if it's $25/mo you really can't go wrong. No actual issues with me and another guy going endless sperg builds and 3-6 other people were on with lots of junk going on too. Even chunk generation in the usual places was okay, although deep dark chunk gen murdered tps for some reason but that's not hosthorde's fault.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 15, 2017

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

frenzy posted:

I'd love to see what your TPS looks like during a bloodmoon with 6 people on

Me too! But my bloodmoons quit working after the first few and I don't know how to fix them. They are just annoyingly red nights that we can't skip now.

We did it with 2 people without any trouble but it hasn't spawned any extra zombies in a week.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

We haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, so we'll def. look at this one too. Thanks!

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Anyone else been having issues with the Twitch app since it changed layout? I can't actually download or update any modpacks anymore, I either time out, or I get a file path error when trying to install specific mods. I wish I didn't have to use this hot garbage, but apparently it's where all minecraft mods are now.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I haven't had trouble but it's being reported by a number of people. Go into the settings and make sure the ability to scan for fames is disabled, and if that doesn't help reinstall the app.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I really don't like how they moved Minecraft off into a non-obvious place in the latest round of Twitch updates. If there's a setting to make it default to Minecraft upon launch, I haven't found it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The new Twitch client is complete dogshit, jesus

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The new layout is garbage. I encourage everyone to submit useful feedback about why you don't like it through the app and if you have twitter, you can so the same to @twitchdesktop. I did, and got responses asking for even more specific feedback. They already reacted to some of it (they removed the extra header bar while working on modpacks), and hopefully will be doing more as they update.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
But seriously, why the hell is there a GUI overhaul every goddamn month?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

central dogma posted:

when a company buys something they have a preternatural need to gently caress with it, forgetting that the thing worked fine when they bought it and didn't need to be changed

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

central dogma posted:

Because "New" is always "Better", and if they don't stay fresh and hip the fickle masses will abandon them.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

central dogma posted:

There really isn't. The last actual overhaul was like nine months ago. They did reskin it to Twitch a couple of months ago, but that was just a logo change and some colors.

I do dislike the current change a lot. It's more clicks to navigate back and forth between working on modpacks and talking in the Twitch groups I'm in, and it's much messier, visually.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a mod or pair of mods I can use to dump all block/item name and IDs? NEI does not display the in-game name. I am working on a theory that I can dump my 1.7.10 blocks and items, dump their equivalents in 1.10.2, and remap most of them just from that. Some stuff will have changed, but I suspect I can nail this long tail in my BFSR remaps that way. I was about to sit down and try to write this out, but I can't believe I have to do this.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a mod or pair of mods I can use to dump all block/item name and IDs? NEI does not display the in-game name. I am working on a theory that I can dump my 1.7.10 blocks and items, dump their equivalents in 1.10.2, and remap most of them just from that. Some stuff will have changed, but I suspect I can nail this long tail in my BFSR remaps that way. I was about to sit down and try to write this out, but I can't believe I have to do this.

on the server i work on we have been trying to make lists of all blocks in each mod,

We open the Jar file, ASSETS/lang/en-US and copy the list from there.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is Project Ozone 2 any good? It looks like it's the same brand of pack as Age of Engineering, and I really like that structured approach, where you gradually unlock new mods. I haven't been able to find any text guides for it like IE Expert and AoE.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AoE status:

:neckbeard::w00t::neckbeard:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Elswyyr posted:

Is Project Ozone 2 any good? It looks like it's the same brand of pack as Age of Engineering, and I really like that structured approach, where you gradually unlock new mods. I haven't been able to find any text guides for it like IE Expert and AoE.

It's okay but you'll eventually outstrip the quest lines if you aren't immediately on top of completing them as they appear, for better or for worse. It's also nothing like Age of Engineering but more of a skyblock on an entirely flat world of snow and ice, considering you start by sifting. Once you've got the basic resources down there's nothing preventing you from building into a mod's blocks. The only thing that has that sort of thing is Avaritia and it's basically the end game. Your typical progression is sifting->auto-sifting->magical plants/agricraft->RFTool worlds/MFR lasers->ProjectE exploit loops.

I didn't mind my run of it, it was the first time I really dug into Draconic Evolution.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Isn't this what Craft Tweaker (a continuation of Mine Tweaker 3) does?
e.g.
code:
mt names
[07:55:41] [Server thread/INFO]: List generated; see minetweaker.log in your minecraft dir
and now in minetweaker.log
code:
[POSTINITIALIZATION][SERVER][ERROR] system: JEI is already defined in that package
[AVAILABLE][SERVER][INFO] MineTweaker: Building registry
[AVAILABLE][SERVER][INFO] MineTweaker: Sucessfully built item registry
[SERVER_ABOUT_TO_START][SERVER][INFO] Adding command minetweaker
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_atomic_reconstructor>, Atomic Reconstructor
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_battery_box>, Battery Box
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_bio_reactor>, Bio Reactor
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_black_lotus>, Black Lotus

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Elswyyr posted:

Uh, no, no it's not like AoE. In any way. There's a quest book that has you do things but there's nothing forcing you to follow it except for a completion thing (and to learn about the mods in the pack). It's just a standard skyblock pack (with non-skyblock options) but with hardmodes that require more steps to making stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

Isn't this what Craft Tweaker (a continuation of Mine Tweaker 3) does?
e.g.
code:
mt names
[07:55:41] [Server thread/INFO]: List generated; see minetweaker.log in your minecraft dir
and now in minetweaker.log
code:
[POSTINITIALIZATION][SERVER][ERROR] system: JEI is already defined in that package
[AVAILABLE][SERVER][INFO] MineTweaker: Building registry
[AVAILABLE][SERVER][INFO] MineTweaker: Sucessfully built item registry
[SERVER_ABOUT_TO_START][SERVER][INFO] Adding command minetweaker
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_atomic_reconstructor>, Atomic Reconstructor
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_battery_box>, Battery Box
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_bio_reactor>, Bio Reactor
[SERVER_STARTED][SERVER]<actuallyadditions:block_black_lotus>, Black Lotus

I'd have to see if Mine Tweaker 3 generates a similar log for 1.7.10 for blocks and items, and includes metadata as appropriate. I was hoping for one common mod with one common output so I only had to write one scraper. I'm thinking that's not practical due to the changes to block/item data from 1.7.10 to 1.10.2, so I'll settle on reconciling two different mods.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd have to see if Mine Tweaker 3 generates a similar log for 1.7.10 for blocks and items, and includes metadata as appropriate. I was hoping for one common mod with one common output so I only had to write one scraper. I'm thinking that's not practical due to the changes to block/item data from 1.7.10 to 1.10.2, so I'll settle on reconciling two different mods.

Craft Tweaker is available for Minecraft 1.7.10 - 1.12, so you should be able to do it with one mod. :)

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
CraftTweaker functions identically to MineTweaker up to 1.11.2, it even has the exact same commands down to them being '/minetweaker' or '/mt'. I believe it's simply a port but the terms of the license meant that while the guy could use the source code, he had to change the name.

CraftTweaker in 1.12 and beyond is an entirely new mod but seems to work pretty much identically except for reload being gone (a 1.12 forge limitation; recipes can only be created on pre-init), recipes requiring their own unique names (another 1.12 thing) and the commands being /crafttweaker or /ct now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
CraftTweaker doesn't dump out the metadata IDs in 1.7.10. For example, a lot of blocks in Big Reactors in 1.7.10 are under BigReactors:BRReactorPart. Metadata 0 is the reactor casing. It will only show the reactor casing.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm pretty sure /mt hand will tell you the metadata value of whatever you're holding.

edit: And if MineTweaker tells you in its log then it's a moot issue since CraftTweaker uses the same format for item names and metadata values.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fortis posted:

I'm pretty sure /mt hand will tell you the metadata value of whatever you're holding.

edit: And if MineTweaker tells you in its log then it's a moot issue since CraftTweaker uses the same format for item names and metadata values.

Nah I don't need what's in my hand. I can just hover over stuff in NEI. I just want to puke it all out at once and knock down >100 names I haven't remapped yet. I'd rather write code for that than do it by hand.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Black Pants posted:

Uh, no, no it's not like AoE. In any way. There's a quest book that has you do things but there's nothing forcing you to follow it except for a completion thing (and to learn about the mods in the pack). It's just a standard skyblock pack (with non-skyblock options) but with hardmodes that require more steps to making stuff.

Ah, good to have that confirmed at least, thanks. Are there any other good packs that are gated like IE: Expert or AoE?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been playing around with The Simple Life 2, there's some pretty interesting gating, like Mystical Agriculture requiring EnderIO, which in turn requires you to build as IE blast furnace for steel. Definitely install foamfix, though. It's not pre-installed with the pack and I got dragged into paging file hell just trying to change the graphics settings without it (before I'd even generated a new world).

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have suggestions for a broad modpack that has a good in-game guide system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Shukaro posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a broad modpack that has a good in-game guide system?

Challenge or not challenge?